5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Just installed Tokicos..... :=)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by MaximaFastness
Once I get all my stuff in, I will also be going to RPM on irvine's suggestion. How was the work they did? and better yet how are the people there?
Where's RPM at? Can you post an address and phone number? Thanks!
Old 07-07-2003, 07:44 PM
What we have here is a failure to communicate

Originally posted by Tripower

Where's RPM at? Can you post an address and phone number? Thanks!
If you go to the regional section, under West Coast, there is an entire thread on RPM and where it is located. All my work is now done and I am in love with my car even more. Cool people there.
Old 11-30-2003, 06:29 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MaxTuner
Are you sure? my experience tells me that mildly used tokico blues are softer than SE OEM shocks, I know someone will back me up , but he is no longer here but we did the swap together! I think that's when ppl started bashing tokicos!

there's noway that stock SE shocks are stiffer than Tokico Blues...I've had Toks before, they were not the stiffest shocks, but definitely stiffer than stock SE shocks.

my Toks lasted at least 40,000 miles, and that's including many road racing and many trips to LA. i find it really weird how people blow them up only after a couple thousand miles...it really makes me wonder if these people ever slow down for speed bumps
Old 11-30-2003, 07:03 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Ive logged about 10k miles on them already .......no problems..
Old 12-01-2003, 07:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Alright, what's the deal here? I finally decided to go with the Tokicos and now everybody is saying that they are stiff. I wanted to improve the ride quality with aftermarket springs and struts not make it worse (and right now it is pretty bad with Maxspeeds and stock struts). Am I going to have to drop $$$$ for Cattman Coilovers for a smooth controlled ride with a lowered stance?
Old 12-01-2003, 12:40 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Lumbee1
Alright, what's the deal here? I finally decided to go with the Tokicos and now everybody is saying that they are stiff. I wanted to improve the ride quality with aftermarket springs and struts not make it worse (and right now it is pretty bad with Maxspeeds and stock struts). Am I going to have to drop $$$$ for Cattman Coilovers for a smooth controlled ride with a lowered stance?

what the heck? you don't want the stiff ride and you're thinking about getting a Cattman Coilovers?

almost any performance shocks will give you stiffer ride compared to your OEM shocks. Tokico blues are NOT uncomfortabley stiff...they're stiff enough to use them with aftermarket lowering springs. that's all.

your ride will actually improve with Tokicos and your Maxspeeds, because i'm guessing your OEMs are probably all shot by now.

but than again, if you want nice and cushy ride...don't lower your car...keep it stock or get a buick.
Old 12-01-2003, 12:46 PM
Boost.....

Nice Kloogy....
Old 12-01-2003, 02:19 PM

ok......this has been a debate.....people always say toks are not good.....i love toks myself......they have the dampering level i look for.....the same thing was said about them for t-bird shocks......and i had toks on my old tbird for 90k.......and they were still stiff.......im not sure about the maximas....but if you get a diff dampering setup does it make the ride harsh?...i find the SE's to ride very stiff........very good....but stiff......i dont think id want much stiffer.....maybe just a little stiffer

edit: wouldnt a possible revalving keep the toks from blowing on lowered cars?
Old 12-01-2003, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Lumbee1
I experienced the same thing. I had over 10K miles (don't remember the exact mileage off the top of my head) on Maxspeeds and OEM struts. After a while the ride got VERY poor. I replaced the OEMs with KYB GR-2s and the difference was night and day. Come to think of it, the ride quality actually started to go downhill from the time I lowered w/ Maxspeeds and kept the OEM struts...I just didn't know any different at the time. If I could do it over again, I would have changed the struts at the same time I lowered the car.

I really don't think you can go wrong with the Tokicos (or KYB for that matter). They're both very respected.

And FYI, one of the websites, KYB or Tokico (I can't remember which) has a whole section devoted to "What does it feel like when my struts start to go bad?"

Tony
Old 12-02-2003, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by kloogy
Ive logged about 10k miles on them already .......no problems..
I wish I could say the same, Ive clocked a bit less then that (9500) and overall I have been satisfied with them but about say 1K miles ago I started to get a new problem. It may be because my springs are lower but Every time I cut the wheel ALL the way to either side & back up or roll forward, (w/o ever touching the brakes or gas) I get this nasty @ss grinding type of squeal coming from the passenger side front.
It happens ONLY when the wheel is turned all the way, I obviously have not had time to take it apart again but I dont make mistakes, especially on my own ride so I dont know wth is going on.
I had some1 go to the passenger side wheel of the car while the wheel was cut all the way to the left of the right & try to bounce it a bit. Hell it was making such a nasty noise I just told him to stop. I know know what gives, its driving me nuts though. One of my guys told me its definetly from the strut(s) I cant be in two places at once so Im not 100% sure. All I know is it sounds nasty.

btw- the overall ride is fine, I dont bounce all over the road or anything.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:06 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Originally Posted by HitManSE
I wish I could say the same, Ive clocked a bit less then that (9500) and overall I have been satisfied with them but about say 1K miles ago I started to get a new problem. It may be because my springs are lower but Every time I cut the wheel ALL the way to either side & back up or roll forward, (w/o ever touching the brakes or gas) I get this nasty @ss grinding type of squeal coming from the passenger side front.
It happens ONLY when the wheel is turned all the way, I obviously have not had time to take it apart again but I dont make mistakes, especially on my own ride so I dont know wth is going on.
I had some1 go to the passenger side wheel of the car while the wheel was cut all the way to the left of the right & try to bounce it a bit. Hell it was making such a nasty noise I just told him to stop. I know know what gives, its driving me nuts though. One of my guys told me its definetly from the strut(s) I cant be in two places at once so Im not 100% sure. All I know is it sounds nasty.

btw- the overall ride is fine, I dont bounce all over the road or anything.
John, I get the same noise when I cut the wheel, but I also used to get it before I had the Tokicos.....I dont know what it is...but it only happens , like you said , when I cut the wheel all they way.....who knows what it is ?
Old 12-02-2003, 11:11 PM

John, I get the same noise when I cut the wheel, but I also used to get it before I had the Tokicos.....I dont know what it is...but it only happens , like you said , when I cut the wheel all they way.....who knows what it is ?
I dont know wtf is it. EVERYTHING looks just fine. All the bolts are tight to "exact" specs. I just...dont know. We arnt the only ones though, ive seen over 30 people report this same problem. Even with oem suspension. I dont want to take it to the dealer because they are just gonna say its your "aftermarket" suspension.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:16 PM
LithiuMax

I have a noise like a constant "ehhhh" when I turn my wheels all the way. It was like that with the stock SE setup, and it's like that now with the GR2/Tein setup. Eh, whatever..

Old 12-02-2003, 11:19 PM

I just dont turn the wheel ALL the way anymore Damn things turn radius is worst then a bus, so why the hell bother Im going to have to reverse anyway. Im just picky as hell, it just shouldnt be there. I got 35K miles on my ride and it started less then 1K miles ago
Old 12-02-2003, 11:21 PM
LithiuMax

Yeah, I had a 740iL outturn my *** a little bit ago.. that was a swift kick in the ***** if I ever had one.

Old 12-02-2003, 11:30 PM

Those things haul @ss man, 1st gear goes over 50mph by the time your ride goes from 1-2 hes just going to jump 2 cars on you right there. Then he has a 3rd thats geared for highway runs so im sure he pulled over 3 cars
Old 12-02-2003, 11:39 PM
LithiuMax

Haha.. I didn't race him - he outturned me (I was following him through a parking lot). But yeah, I rode in it and it is surprisingly quick for such a beast.

Old 12-04-2003, 07:29 PM

Sup Kloogy,
You have any nights pics of the Piaa Ions?
Old 12-04-2003, 07:41 PM
Wild at Hurt

Those Wilwoods sure look nice Kloogy.
It is a big mistake to go by the initial feel of a strut after installation.
None of them break in for 500-2k miles. Then that is what they will feel like for the long haul.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:59 PM
scopium

yea i had RPM install my tockicos and maxspeeds and slotted rotors too....
meanwhile i was playin playstation in their waiting room

Old 12-04-2003, 09:26 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Originally Posted by Mkang513
Sup Kloogy,
You have any nights pics of the Piaa Ions?
Trple8 has the same setup I do....and a better pic of it

Old 12-04-2003, 09:29 PM
scopium

[QUOTE=Triple8Sol]I'd probably end up goin' witht the KYB's since they're cheaper than the Toks. General consensus on here has been that they're better too? Not a question, just an observation, since I personally have no idea either way.

Where can I find the cheapest GR-2's and Toks for that matter? The last KYB GD fell through...[/QUOT

HERE ARE A BUNCH OF SHOCKS

Old 12-04-2003, 09:35 PM

scopium or kloogy, did RPM install the front strut boots?
Old 12-04-2003, 09:43 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Yes they did.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:08 PM

Yes they did.
thanks for replying and u gotta a nice max by the way.

hmmm, they told me it wasn't necessary and i remember when i had my old car lowered by a different shop, they didn't install the boots either so i assumed it was the same for all. did they also have to trim it down? cause now when i look at the struts, there's not much room to fit the whole boot. i wonder if i should redo the fronts??
Old 12-06-2003, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by irvine78
what the heck? you don't want the stiff ride and you're thinking about getting a Cattman Coilovers?

almost any performance shocks will give you stiffer ride compared to your OEM shocks. Tokico blues are NOT uncomfortabley stiff...they're stiff enough to use them with aftermarket lowering springs. that's all.

your ride will actually improve with Tokicos and your Maxspeeds, because i'm guessing your OEMs are probably all shot by now.

but than again, if you want nice and cushy ride...don't lower your car...keep it stock or get a buick.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=258787

They are not Ground Controls.