5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

For those with B-pipes

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 07:30 PM
Banned

For those with B-pipes

Ok, its been mentioned here that the Y-pipes for the 02-03's are pretty much useless. But how bout the mid/B-pipes? Is it beneficial enough to feel or notice any power gains, or again, is it one of those mods that can be done without? Reason I'm asking is I have a PowerTech muffler that hasn't been installed yet and I wanna know if the B-pipe is worth the add on with the PowerTech?

Any feedback is appreciated.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:04 PM

It will give you around 5hp so it's not a bad mod for the price. It will also help your gas mileage since it gets rid of the restrictive crimp in the stock B pipe.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:28 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Virus
It will give you around 5hp so it's not a bad mod for the price. It will also help your gas mileage since it gets rid of the restrictive crimp in the stock B pipe.
Hmmm.........I know with the PowerTech, its gonna make the car louder.
With the B-pipe added on, will it get even louder then that??

Old 06-23-2003, 11:31 PM

I'd also like to know how much louder it would be, I have a PT 1012.
Old 06-24-2003, 05:15 AM

HP Yes, 5hp, I don't believe that much.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:12 AM

What I can tell you is this. I put the Y and B pipe on and gained something like 5-6hp and 6-9tq. I don't have the dyno sheets here at work so I'm not sure of the exact numbers. Nobody has dynoed just the Y pipe, but most of the experts here agree that the Y pipe isn't adding any hp because of the design. With this theory in place, the extra hp and tq that I got came from the B pipe.

As far as adding sound, I'm sure it will, but to what extent I have no idea. I bought my B pipe with a resonator because I didn't want a very loud exhaust. I still have my stock muffler and it sounds awesome. Most people here have bought the B pipe without the resonator and also added a muffler and stated it's too loud. I have yet to see any posts stating that they bought a B with resonator and muffler. Wanna be the guinea pig?
Old 06-24-2003, 07:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What I can tell you is this. I put the Y and B pipe on and gained something like 5-6hp and 6-9tq. I don't have the dyno sheets here at work so I'm not sure of the exact numbers. Nobody has dynoed just the Y pipe, but most of the experts here agree that the Y pipe isn't adding any hp because of the design. With this theory in place, the extra hp and tq that I got came from the B pipe.

As far as adding sound, I'm sure it will, but to what extent I have no idea. I bought my B pipe with a resonator because I didn't want a very loud exhaust. I still have my stock muffler and it sounds awesome. Most people here have bought the B pipe without the resonator and also added a muffler and stated it's too loud. I have yet to see any posts stating that they bought a B with resonator and muffler. Wanna be the guinea pig?
Ill be a guinea pig-wow that sounds Anyway I cannot stand
loud boomy exhaust (backpressure) -My MTX's are loud and boomy enough so I'm gonna try a RT high flow cat
with a B-pipe(resonator) Stock muffler -I'll post a thread as soon
as its done- Question? which company makes a good aftermarket B-pipe?
Old 06-24-2003, 09:21 AM

I will have a resonated Y/B/Powertech PT1011 combo later this week, I weill let you all know.
Old 06-24-2003, 02:01 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Jakester
I will have a resonated Y/B/Powertech PT1011 combo later this week, I weill let you all know.
Anyway you can put just the B-pipe on 1st with the PowerTech and see how loud it gets? Altho, you're an 01, so the results might be different from the 03's.
Old 06-24-2003, 02:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It might be possible, like another org member experienced, that you actually lost 1 or 2 horsepower with the Y pipe.
Old 06-24-2003, 06:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Well I just got done putting on a Budget B-pipe (they suck) and a PT1011. I'm selling the PT1011 if anyone is interested. Budget b-pipes have a Magnaflow resonator on them that make them louder. Atleast this is what the guy at the muffler shop told me (they sold Magnaflow merchandice). I didn't like the sound of the PT1011 and wanted the stock put back on. The guy told me if I removed the resonator I would get the sound I wanted, but I'd rather just remove the muff. So it wasn't the PT1011 that caused the sound it was the resonator. I still have a louder sound with just the b-pipe but it bangs really bad. I would recommend that nobody get the budget b-pipe. The two seperate pieces and conected with a flange so they bold right up. This in tern makes the pipe really wide and doesn't clear the hear shield and frame. The warpspeed pipe needs to be welded so it will fit. Tomorrow I'm going back and hopefully getting that flange cut out. Also they put my stock muff back on very poorly so it bangs too. This whole experience has been a nightmare. Thanks Budget.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:31 PM
Banned

Originally posted by wildmanal
Well I just got done putting on a Budget B-pipe (they suck) and a PT1011. I'm selling the PT1011 if anyone is interested. Budget b-pipes have a Magnaflow resonator on them that make them louder. Atleast this is what the guy at the muffler shop told me (they sold Magnaflow merchandice). I didn't like the sound of the PT1011 and wanted the stock put back on. The guy told me if I removed the resonator I would get the sound I wanted, but I'd rather just remove the muff. So it wasn't the PT1011 that caused the sound it was the resonator. I still have a louder sound with just the b-pipe but it bangs really bad. I would recommend that nobody get the budget b-pipe. The two seperate pieces and conected with a flange so they bold right up. This in tern makes the pipe really wide and doesn't clear the hear shield and frame. The warpspeed pipe needs to be welded so it will fit. Tomorrow I'm going back and hopefully getting that flange cut out. Also they put my stock muff back on very poorly so it bangs too. This whole experience has been a nightmare. Thanks Budget.
wowwww............so you're gonna sell the PT1011 muffler but what will you do with the B-pipe, considering you weren't too fond of it either?? Also, why didn't you consider having the resonator removed if it would give you the sound you wanted? And overall, do you think it was more the muffler that made the whole setup loud or the b-pipe??

Bear with me here, I'm trying to get a rough idea of how things turned out w/o being able to actually hear it up front.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:51 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by VQPowerSE

wowwww............so you're gonna sell the PT1011 muffler but what will you do with the B-pipe, considering you weren't too fond of it either?? Also, why didn't you consider having the resonator removed if it would give you the sound you wanted? And overall, do you think it was more the muffler that made the whole setup loud or the b-pipe??

Bear with me here, I'm trying to get a rough idea of how things turned out w/o being able to actually hear it up front.
Well I'm going to keep the b-pipe due to that it costs around $200 and the muff about $110. I didn't want to alter any part so I wanted to keep the b-pipe the way it was. I know the resonator made it sound weird because I can still hear the sound, but just now it's not as loud. I would still recommend the powertech just like so many other org members do, but please stay away from Budget. Spread the word because I had no idea.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:56 PM

I have the WSP B-pipe and am happy with it

I originally had a custom catback without a resonator installed with a magnaflow muffler on my 2K2 SE and hated it. It was way too loud and resonated in the cabin at 2-3k rpms. The sound at idle was awesome. Since my wife hated the sound of this setup I went with a warpspeed 2.5" resonated B-pipe with a stock muffler and love it. I have not dyno'd but the car feels quicker than stock. I had it installed at a local exhaust shop and did not have any fitment issues. I have not heard any of the banging noises I hear others complain about, my guess is that those who hear banging noises with this setup installed it wrong. The sound of the warpspeed B pipe is slightly and louder deeper than stock and more noticeable at wide open throttle.

Originally posted by VQPowerSE

Old 06-25-2003, 06:45 AM

I was planning on going with the Budget, as so many people have without issue. No need for resanator, as Im keeping stock muffler. May get a high flow cat as well. Or maybe, get bpipe and ypipe custom made at brullen.
Old 06-25-2003, 07:06 AM
WANNA RUN IT?

ok i have the warp speed resonated b and the powertech 2 3inch outlet muffler.....at 2k rpm it is a little droney but i wouldnt say loud......i will say this though.....my car got lazy on the bottom end...alot more power on top and im getting about 32mpg on the highway if im not on the throttle
hope this helps
Old 06-25-2003, 08:55 AM

How loud is it when you really get on it? I want something that is semi quiet at cruising speeds but it sounds mean at WOT.
Old 06-25-2003, 09:02 AM
WANNA RUN IT?

well this is the one you want then.....it gets pretty loud when your full throttle....at 80mph just cruising around 2500 you cant even hear it in the cabin.....so its really nice on a long trip.....even at 80 w the cruise on i get about 30 mph

i have a 03 polished titanium titanium pkg 6 spd
Old 06-25-2003, 09:03 AM

Originally posted by maximamaybe
How loud is it when you really get on it? I want something that is semi quiet at cruising speeds but it sounds mean at WOT.
Bpipe with stock exhaust is not that loud at all.
Old 07-05-2003, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by wildmanal
Well I just got done putting on a Budget B-pipe (they suck) <snip> This whole experience has been a nightmare. Thanks Budget.
I just got a Budget B-pipe too (about 4 months after I ordered it). The midpipe section (the short part with the resonator) was 5 inches too long. The guy had to chop it up pretty bad because the angle the flange was put on with was all wrong too.

I really like my Budget Y-pipe, but the B-pipe sucks a** !!!

-Jacob