5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Newbie but not stupid ?'s........

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 12:35 PM

Newbie but not stupid ?'s........

First of all what's up everyone, first post so sorry if you've seen these questions a million times, couldn't get the search to find anything.

Just bought an '00 SE auto (wife made me get the Auto)
53000 miles

Two things are buggin me:

1. On fairly hard acceleration, at approx. 3500-4000 rpms the power dips and the car lags for a second. Doesn't feel like the tranny hesitating like I've read on here that has a TSB out, because the car doesn't shift til about 4500 at this acceleration rate. Any ideas?

2. Live in AZ and after the commute home when everything is good and hot I have a buzzing sound for about 5 minutes at the back end of the car the sounds like the fuel pump is still going. Literally for about 5 minutes then it slowly tapers off and pulses for a while. Thought it could have been the motor mounts problem but it is coming from the back of the car.

All thought's are appreciated, I plan on doing a full tune-up regardless, plugs and all. But am interested if anyone else has had these problems.

Thanks fellas,
Love the car, first car I've ever bought, typically a truck guy but needed a pavement pounder for my commute.

Late.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:49 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Sorry I can't help you out, but welcome to the forum fellow AZ Max owner.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:53 PM

Re: Newbie but not stupid ?'s........

Originally posted by MAXSIE
First of all what's up everyone, first post so sorry if you've seen these questions a million times, couldn't get the search to find anything.

** Get a divorce. j/k

53000 miles

1. On fairly hard acceleration, at approx. 3500-4000 rpms the power dips and the car lags for a second. Doesn't feel like the tranny hesitating like I've read on here that has a TSB out, because the car doesn't shift til about 4500 at this acceleration rate. Any ideas?
*** Dirty throttle body? Plugs?

2. Live in AZ and after the commute home when everything is good and hot I have a buzzing sound for about 5 minutes at the back end of the car the sounds like the fuel pump is still going. Literally for about 5 minutes then it slowly tapers off and pulses for a while. Thought it could have been the motor mounts problem but it is coming from the back of the car.
*** Dunno. Weird.

All thought's are appreciated, I plan on doing a full tune-up regardless, plugs and all. But am interested if anyone else has had these problems.
I guarantee you that someone hear has already had whatever problems you will have.

Thanks fellas,
Love the car, first car I've ever bought, typically a truck guy but needed a pavement pounder for my commute.

Late.
Welcome aboard!!!
Old 07-09-2003, 01:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by asu174
Sorry I can't help you out, but welcome to the forum fellow AZ Max owner.
Be sure to check the regional forum for AZ meets.
Old 07-09-2003, 02:38 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I also have 53,000 miles on mine and have to do a tune-up. My advise for you is to change the plugs first. I've heard on here that you can feel the difference with dirty plugs. Also, change the tranny fluid and do a coolant flush. About that sound, I'm not sure. It could be detonation that you are hearing, are you using premium fuel? Once again I'm not sure just trying to help you out
Old 07-09-2003, 05:17 PM

Yeah... its almost like a rev limiter kicks in but it shouldn't be at that low of an RPM. I'll check out mine in a few min a see when it kicks in.

Update:Kicks in ~6500 RPM then changes gear. Sorry that's not it.

That's not right... you might want to get that checked out. Don't want to burn up the fuel pump or anything.

Good luck & welcome.
Old 07-09-2003, 05:21 PM

53000 miles

Thanks fellas,

Late.
The 00's and 01's suffered from bad coils. There is a TSB out for it. Symptoms are decreased power from 2000 to 3500 rpm's along with sporatic pinging from the engine. A $600 job if you are out of warranty.
Old 07-09-2003, 06:22 PM

Re: Re: Newbie but not stupid ?'s........

Originally posted by Lumbee1

The 00's and 01's suffered from bad coils. There is a TSB out for it. Symptoms are decreased power from 2000 to 3500 rpm's along with sporatic pinging from the engine. A $600 job if you are out of warranty.
That sounds about right. I had one go out in Feb. It was most pronounced when the car was cold. I'd go to pull out of my neighborhood and the car would hesitate then jump. Sometimes it would jump when I was stopped (fun when there's traffic coming at you). Cost ~$200 to fix.
Old 07-09-2003, 07:59 PM

Check your tranny and coil TSB's as listed in the FAQ'S or stickies in this forums.

Crawl under the back of the car while it's "buzzing" and look around/listen. THere are some emissions components back there as well, right under the rear bumper.

JP
Old 07-09-2003, 08:29 PM

I'm not sure about your hesitation issue but the buzzing sound that you are hearing is indeed from the fuel pump. I have a 2001 SE and it sometimes exhibits the buzzing noise after shut-down. It's quite normal seeing as that the fuel system is under a lot of pressure and in your region of the country it gets really hot! My suggestion is to loosen the cap the next time you hear it, SLOWLY though. Re-install the cap and your noise will go away. My 1994.5 Sentra LE does it also on occasion. Nissan replaced the fuel pump under warranty, when the car still had the Security Plus Gold Warranty even though my tech said the noise was "Normal." Good Luck, I hope this helps.
Old 07-09-2003, 08:40 PM

Odd, swing by Midway or Brown N Brown or whatever dealer your close to. I dont know which area your at but that just sounds odd
Old 07-10-2003, 06:21 PM

Thanks fellas. Let you know what I find out.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:18 PM

53000 miles

Thanks fellas,

Late.
Get the car to a mechanic right away.