5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Dealer thinks I need a new Pre-Cat (front pipe)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 06:33 AM

Dealer thinks I need a new Pre-Cat (front pipe)

Yesterday I took my Max in to get the ECU re-programmed. I was getting a P0420 error. Upon bringing it there I had the dealer tells me I had the newest Software version in my ECU. Anyway next he proceeds to tell me I need a new pre-cat (front pipe). After more though question and concerns (30 minutes of me asking questions) finally a mechanic comes in and tells him there is a newer Software Rev. They reset my SES light but i'm pretty sure it will come back on.

Anyone ever have this problem before? Did the new Pre-Cat fix it (609.38 for part & 260.00 for labor OUCH!!). Wonder why they won't put in a new cat and see if that fixes it being that it's under warranty 8/80

Thanks,
Old 07-24-2003, 07:21 AM
lcf

I think someone else who was consistently getting the P0420 code was told the same thing by a dealership. Ouch, that's expensive.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:26 AM

Originally posted by lcf
I think someone else who was consistently getting the P0420 code was told the same thing by a dealership. Ouch, that's expensive.
Tell me about it especially seeing I've only had the car for 5K miles..........
Old 07-24-2003, 09:13 AM
Maxima Pilot

How many total miles on the car and if under

50k miles, should'nt the standard emmissions equipment warranty cover this?
Old 07-24-2003, 09:20 AM

Re: How many total miles on the car and if under

Originally posted by Galo
50k miles, should'nt the standard emmissions equipment warranty cover this?
I actually bought it with 56K. It now has 61K
Old 07-24-2003, 09:33 AM

Re: Dealer thinks I need a new Pre-Cat (front pipe)

Originally posted by BennysMAXIMA
Yesterday I took my Max in to get the ECU re-programmed. I was getting a P0420 error. Upon bringing it there I had the dealer tells me I had the newest Software version in my ECU. Anyway next he proceeds to tell me I need a new pre-cat (front pipe). After more though question and concerns (30 minutes of me asking questions) finally a mechanic comes in and tells him there is a newer Software Rev. They reset my SES light but i'm pretty sure it will come back on.

Anyone ever have this problem before? Did the new Pre-Cat fix it (609.38 for part & 260.00 for labor OUCH!!). Wonder why they won't put in a new cat and see if that fixes it being that it's under warranty 8/80

Thanks,
I wish you the best of luck. I have and have had for some time - the same code. I'm troubleshooting things on my end before I go back to the dealership because I'm not going to pay them a dime!

Please post if you set another code after the seconds PVM flash. I had one done, and the code came back. If it does come back, I recommend checking out your O2 sensors, cause if they check good, then at least you can go to the dealership and get the cat(s) installed under your warranty.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:37 AM
Maxima Pilot

Check out this nugget which is on the EPA

web site....
My summary interpretation is simple....you should be under warranty for this until you reach 80k miles, regardless that you are not the first owner.

Print this, show it to the dealer are see what happens.

The other nugget here is that both on this document and elsewhere on the EPA web site, that MAFs are considered emissions-related items so...has Nissan been screwing us by having us buy MAFs needlessly? Not me, but....many folks here have had to spring for MAFs on stock cars under 80k miles....

Link: http://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer/warr95fs.txt
Old 07-24-2003, 11:47 AM

Re: Check out this nugget which is on the EPA

Originally posted by Galo
web site....
My summary interpretation is simple....you should be under warranty for this until you reach 80k miles, regardless that you are not the first owner.

Print this, show it to the dealer are see what happens.

The other nugget here is that both on this document and elsewhere on the EPA web site, that MAFs are considered emissions-related items so...has Nissan been screwing us by having us buy MAFs needlessly? Not me, but....many folks here have had to spring for MAFs on stock cars under 80k miles....

Link: http://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer/warr95fs.txt
Galo, Is the dual-wall exhaust pipe the same as the "Front Pipe" (what dealer calls the bad pipe). A 600 dollar pipe is a pretty expensive pipe! Part number 20020-34Y00
Old 07-24-2003, 12:02 PM
Maxima Pilot

Benny...not familiar enough with the layout

to confirm one way or the othr but....if that pipe is one piece (integral) with the precat, then by all means, the answer should be yes...

Good luck and please post results of war with dealer...