5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2k2 at 30,000mi....

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 11:37 PM

2k2 at 30,000mi....

my auto 2k2 just hit 30,000 mi today, is the dealer 30K maintenance worth it since it costs around 300 lil green Washingtons. Or should i D.I.Y the maintenance and save the money for future mods?? If D.I.Y, what should be done? Thanx in adv.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:17 AM

I recommend doing it yourself, unless you do not have tools or if you are not comfortable working on cars or engines. Or, if your car is throwing codes at you.

There is nothing earth-shattering about these check-ups. Look at the list of what the dealer includes, and if there is anything you are not familiar with, post it and you will get answers.
Old 08-14-2003, 05:00 AM

The most important part of the 30K service is the transmission servicing. It makes the car feel new again I highly recoomend it especially for the auto because my tranny lost the sluggishness it had.
Old 08-14-2003, 05:28 AM

Originally posted by perrymaxima
The most important part of the 30K service is the transmission servicing. It makes the car feel new again I highly recoomend it especially for the auto because my tranny lost the sluggishness it had.

Do you mean changing transmission fluid?
Old 08-14-2003, 06:33 AM

At 30k , I checked my brake pads, brake fluid flush, did a complete transmission flush (BG), and did Oil change with synthetic, coolant flush, rotate and balance tires, belts checked and tightened.
Old 08-14-2003, 06:48 AM

Originally posted by 02MaximaSE
At 30k , I checked my brake pads, brake fluid flush, did a complete transmission flush (BG), and did Oil change with synthetic, coolant flush, rotate and balance tires, belts checked and tightened.

Is it true that when you start using synthetic you cant or shouldnt go back to normal oil. and does anyone know if the user manual shows from where to flush the transmission fluid and refill it?
Old 08-14-2003, 07:01 AM

Edited for my early morning dyslexia.

The drain and refill locations are different for the auto and the manual.

If you are a manual, go to http://www.summitracing.com/ and order 4 bottles of Redline MT-90 Manual Transmission Fluid. They are much smoother and better for the tranny, and will remove almost all the notchiness that you currently have. When you get them in, you can change the fluid yourself. Pull the drain plug and wait 10 minutes for it all to drain. Re-install the plug and refill. The MT-90 fluid should be close to the $40 range including shipping.

If you are an auto, you can use whatever fluid you want, but Redline also makes an auto tranny fluid as well (if you want to pay for it). Visit a local Jiffy Lube and have them change the tranny fluid. I wouldn't recommend you DIY because you have to fill the tranny using a special funnel-tubing setup to allow you access to the top of the tranny to fill it. Jiffy Lube has this special setup that is needed.

As for the synthetic, yes... you have to stay synthetic forever.

Also, be sure do a FULL coolant system flush, not just a change of coolant fluid. Mine came out black when I had mine done. Jiffy Lube can do this for you. It's a 3 step process. First they flush your radiator clean. Then they hook it up to your engine and flush the engine clean. Then they hook everything back up and fill up the radiator and reserve tank.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:05 AM

nice garage studman...
Old 08-14-2003, 07:37 AM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally posted by studman
The drain and refill locations are different for the auto and the manual.

If you are a manual, go to http://www.summitracing.com/ and order 4 bottles of Redline MT-90 Manual Transmission Fluid. They are much smoother and better for the tranny, and will remove almost all the notchiness that you currently have. When you get them in, visit a local Jiffy Lube and have them change the tranny fluid. I wouldn't recommend you DIY because you have to fill the tranny using a special funnel-tubing setup to allow you access to the top of the tranny to fill it. Jiffy Lube has this special setup. While you are there, have them do a FULL coolant system flush, not just a change of fluid. Mine came out black when I had mine done. For both services, you'll pay less than $100 at Jiffy Lube. The MT-90 fluid should be close to the $40 range including shipping.

If you are an auto, you can use whatever fluid you want, but Redline also makes an auto tranny fluid as well (if you want to pay for it). You can change the auto fluid yourself. Pull the drain plug and wait 10 minutes for it all to drain. Re-install the plug and refill. It's easier than the manual.

As for the synthetic, yes... you have to stay synthetic forever.
hey jeremy, i'm gonna have to cut in on your advice on the tranny fluid. if you're an auto and you want a flush, then yes, take it to a shop, but if you're manual, then you can do it very easily, i'd put it in the same level as changing your oil. first, there are 2 bolts that lay flat and sideways against the tranny. it uses a 10m inverted ratchet piece. remove the top one, then the lower one, it should start to drain. give it about 10-15 minutes to fully drain, although i feel it should be done in about 30 seconds (it's only about 2.5 quarts, so 3 at most is needed). now to fill it up, close the bottom piece (obviously) and then do what my friend did, he used a liter bottle of coke and bought a filler with a close valve. all that realy is is a hose with a threaded end to fit over a bottle like a liter bottle of coke (or pepsi, whichever you like ) and it has a **** to open or close it. with the help of someone to hold the hose into the top hole, start filling it up.
"but marco, how do i know when to stop?" very good question. when your assistant tells you that it's overflowing, that's when you stop. that's all. it really is VERY VERY VERY easy. there is no possible way to mess up. filling it up is up to the point where it reaches the hole, so if you see fluid on his face, i'd say it's a good time to stop.

it really is very easy. DIY, save the money. the filler is like $5 at any auto parts store. and $1 for the coke bottle.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:30 AM

Lol... I got the trannys mixed up with the typing. That proves that I'm basically worthless early in the morning.

The reason that I stated to get 4 bottles was because if you drain the tranny fluid completely, then fill the tranny with about 1 bottle (or less) and run the car. Push the clutch in and move the tranny through the gears. When all the notchiness goes away (about 10 shifts into each gear should do it), stop the car and re-drain the tranny. This makes sure that there are no more bad spots of tranny oil anywhere in the cracks. Then refill like Polo said.
Old 08-14-2003, 12:14 PM

How is the 3.5 at 30,000 miles does it pull any stronger than at 10,000?
Old 08-14-2003, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
How is the 3.5 at 30,000 miles does it pull any stronger than at 10,000?
at first i would have said it is slower... but thats because I havent been driving fast, kept it under 3k rpm's, so there must have been some buildup.. but now at 36k miles, and after servicee and driving more "PERFORMANCE MINDED", it started to regain its power... it feels just like 10k miles I can still get it to spin the tires all through 1st from a roll.
Old 08-14-2003, 03:04 PM

Re: 2k2 at 30,000mi....

Originally posted by Jupps
my auto 2k2 just hit 30,000 mi today, is the dealer 30K maintenance worth it since it costs around 300 lil green Washingtons. Or should i D.I.Y the maintenance and save the money for future mods?? If D.I.Y, what should be done? Thanx in adv.

All those things can be done at your local
EZ or Jiffy Lube for 1/2 the price!
Just keep reciepts for proof when you go to sell someday.
But I would have it done.