5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

HID Letter from the Police!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 02:18 PM

HID Letter from the Police!

I'm not sure how to feel about this. Check out the letter below I received from the Nassau County Police Department (Long Island New York). At least Police is recognizing there is a problem. I've yet to get this letter from Nissan North America I already garage my car, never drive it, and think about selling it all the time....

August 4, 2003

Mr. spta97

Dear Nissan Owner:

There has been an increase in the theft of Nissan headlight assemblies in both Nassau and Suffolk counties. Thieves quickly and easily remove these assemblies making them an attractive target. A secondary factor is their increasing popularity with young people seeking to customize other vehicles. These thefts are occurring almost exclusively overnight, often between 2:00 AM and 4:30 AM.

As a Nissan owner, the Nassau County Police Department wants you to be aware of this existing pattern of headlight assembly thefts so that you can take steps to decrease the likelihood of you becoming a victim of this criminal activity. We recommend that you consider the following:

- If a garage is available to you, garage your Nissan overnight.

- Make sure that you lock your vehicle upon exiting.

- If you currently park your Nissan in the street, park it in your driveway, as close as possible to your home, if you can do so.

- Turn on exterior lights, particularly in the area where you park your vehicle.

- If you observe any suspicious individuals or vehicles in your neighborhood, write down a description, including a vehicle plate number. Report this information immediately, by calling 911. Do not confront any suspicious subjects or vehicles.

Efforts are underway to apprehend those responsible for these thefts. We appreciate your cooperation and assistance.

Sincerely,

George J. Gudmundesen
Inspector
Commanding Officer
Eighth Precinct

Old 08-22-2003, 02:23 PM

I thought the last line would read

- If you have a glock available, bust a cap in the punk's a$$!

You can worry about it all day, if they do get stolen, it's not the end of the world. Just replace them with the 2000/01 headlights...problem solved.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:27 PM
jjs

Re: HID Letter from the Police!

Originally posted by spta97
I'm not sure how to feel about this. Check out the letter below I received from the Nassau County Police Department (Long Island New York). At least Police is recognizing there is a problem. I've yet to get this letter from Nissan North America I already garage my car, never drive it, and think about selling it all the time....

August 4, 2003

Mr. spta97

Dear Nissan Owner:

There has been an increase in the theft of Nissan headlight assemblies in both Nassau and Suffolk counties. Thieves quickly and easily remove these assemblies making them an attractive target. A secondary factor is their increasing popularity with young people seeking to customize other vehicles. These thefts are occurring almost exclusively overnight, often between 2:00 AM and 4:30 AM.

As a Nissan owner, the Nassau County Police Department wants you to be aware of this existing pattern of headlight assembly thefts so that you can take steps to decrease the likelihood of you becoming a victim of this criminal activity. We recommend that you consider the following:

- If you currently park your Nissan in the street, park it in your driveway, as close as possible to your home, if you can do so.

- Turn on exterior lights, particularly in the area where you park your vehicle.

- If you observe any suspicious individuals or vehicles in your neighborhood, write down a description, including a vehicle plate number. Report this information immediately, by calling 911. Do not confront any suspicious subjects or vehicles.

Efforts are underway to apprehend those responsible for these thefts. We appreciate your cooperation and assistance.

Sincerely,

George J. Gudmundesen
Inspector
Commanding Officer
Eighth Precinct

While this issue does not really impact me, I do have to comment on how you gotta love government-ese crap like this. I just hate when they always tell you to do WHAT SHOULD BE COMMON SENSE without any substantive suggestions!!

OK maybe not an indictment of the agency, maybe just the increasing stupidity of the American society.

I will get off my now.

Old 08-22-2003, 02:35 PM

Re: Re: HID Letter from the Police!

Originally posted by jjs

While this issue does not really impact me, I do have to comment on how you gotta love government-ese crap like this. I just hate when they always tell you to do WHAT SHOULD BE COMMON SENSE without any substantive suggestions!!

OK maybe not an indictment of the agency, maybe just the increasing stupidity of the American society.

I will get off my now.

Well, I do appreiate that how they at least recognize the problem and are trying to make the owners aware of it. Nissan has skirted the issue so much I'm done with them. We take for granted that this problem is common knowlege, but think about the middle-age couple driving the GLE who never would even think about this.

Also, where Nassau County has it's bad areas (which hopefully is what this letter reffers to) it is a very nice well-to-do neighborhood. The houses cannot be obtained for less than $350,000 in the area and it is a really nice place to live. However, theives know that this is probably the best place to steal because people just don't think this kind of crime goes on.

I'm coming up on my 1 year anniversary with my Maxmia and have 3,500 miles on it...much of which is caused by the HID issue. I would sell the car if the resale value was not so low. I do love it, but to be paranoid every time I park it is really getting to me.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

...I do love it, but to be paranoid every time I park it is really getting to me.
I feel the same! its enough that I gotto stress about my ****ed up job, school and life and now I gotto worry about the ****ing car... **** that!

sorry guys just venting...
Old 08-22-2003, 02:46 PM

Man it's like in a science fiction movie, all this HID theft, some people are really meen, I would never in my life steel other's stuff to make a few buck. What a bunch of loosers who need to be educated, but probably never will. How one can be proud of himself and have self esteem by hurding people like this, hope they catch all the **** out there, dont throw them in jail it's going to be worst, educate them, and make them pay for what they did.

I cant recount the number of time I forgot my key in ignition, sunroof open,both front side windows open, door unluck, and the worst I left my wallet in the middle console, and every time it happend the next morning nothing was missing, I felt I like an idiot, but fortunatly I live in quiet neighbourhood.

I no longer forget my key and wallet in the car.

Good luck to all who had to deal with HID theft.

Cheers

AA
Old 08-22-2003, 02:51 PM

guys I again apologize for my above post... I am having a depressing moment...
Old 08-22-2003, 03:30 PM

I myself think it's an incredible effort on the part of your local law enforcement agency to take it upon themselves to spend the time and money to address this with Nissan owners. Kudos.

Tony
Old 08-22-2003, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by Tony Fernandes
I myself think it's an incredible effort on the part of your local law enforcement agency to take it upon themselves to spend the time and money to address this with Nissan owners. Kudos.

Tony

I should really forward this letter to NNA and say "Are you sure there isn't a problem?".

The cops in Nassau are pretty cool. They have jursitction (sp) on the whole county other than the fat "pull you over cause I don't like you" pigs that I used to deal with in Westchester. A couple of times I accidentally set off my house alarm and they sent 2 patrol cars to my house in like 5 minutes. They seem to have respect for people and do their job without the attiude of Westchester or NYC cops.

Like I said, this is a great area to live in...if you don't have a Maxima
Old 08-22-2003, 03:54 PM
Very sound, Mike

That'll help
Old 08-22-2003, 04:59 PM
tEh Hope

Originally posted by jjs

I will get off my now.

You should take into consideration that a lot of Maxima owners have never heard of the ORG. So, people that don't read this forum have no knowledge about HID theft so some of those old people that drive Maximas now know their car is at risk... to some people the letter could come as a surprise...
Old 08-22-2003, 06:14 PM
jjs

Re: Re: Re: HID Letter from the Police!

Originally posted by Maxxxed

You should take into consideration that a lot of Maxima owners have never heard of the ORG. So, people that don't read this forum have no knowledge about HID theft so some of those old people that drive Maximas now know their car is at risk... to some people the letter could come as a surprise...
True.

But as with most other cars, the highly stolen, the highly vandalized, etc. I just find the suggestions to be the barest common sense...kind of like 'don't play pin the tail on the donkey in the middle of a major highway'.

I don't know, but as a member of this society of ours, I have always taken precautionary steps with every vehicle I have owned.

Yes, they should be cedited with at least aknowledging a problem and sending out a leter.
Old 08-22-2003, 06:30 PM

I feel for the Bro's and Sis that can't enjoy their 02/03's back East its a shame that you have to worry about your car at night instead of other things. Man I would hat to have to downgrade my cars headlights because of those punks, rediculous!
Old 08-23-2003, 07:47 AM

I think I have a problem, I can't park in any parking lot without the worry that someone mite ding my door or a carrage mite roll into it. My girl thinks I care about my car more than her
Old 08-23-2003, 07:48 AM

what about the people who are buying HIDs on ebay? Where do they think the supply of HIDs are coming from? eBay won't let me buy a fake TAG/Heuer watch but anyone can buy stolen HIDs no problem... By providing an anonymous, efficient marketplace for stolen headlights eBay is fueling the problem.
Old 08-23-2003, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by jay beede
what about the people who are buying HIDs on ebay? Where do they think the supply of HIDs are coming from? eBay won't let me buy a fake TAG/Heuer watch but anyone can buy stolen HIDs no problem... By providing an anonymous, efficient marketplace for stolen headlights eBay is fueling the problem.
That's a very good point. I've always felt that you should punish the people who are making the market. As long as there are people willing to purchase them, the HIDs will be stolen. If there is no money in it, the HIDs will be left alone. Supply and demand.
Old 08-23-2003, 09:29 AM

Write them a letter back telling them they might want to obtain one of these cars to use in a sting op. They could buy a rental or one from an auction. Tell them they could use yours but you don't want to have to pay for the damage which would be needed to get the evidence needed to prove the case(s).

They could even track the thieves to see if it turns up a wider theft ring.
Old 08-23-2003, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by JayMax00
I think I have a problem, I can't park in any parking lot without the worry that someone mite ding my door or a carrage mite roll into it. My girl thinks I care about my car more than her
I know how you feel ! I would hate to have to worry about having my headlights stolen too !

Bob
Old 08-23-2003, 11:54 AM

It is good that law enforcement is recognizing this is an issue and informing people. Most people don't know about this problem and this is to make them aware. I generally wouldn't think twice about parking my car on the street at night or in the dark. I live in a safe area and generally cars are not stolen frequently. I know this is an issue from the org, however, if I didn't, this would at least let me know and I would be more watchful.
I'm sure some people take these steps with every car they own, but not everyone has that luxury. Some people have to choose which cars of theirs go in the garage or which ones have to go in the street. And other people don't worry, and now they know that they should and may take more care.

I guess some people would expect cops to have some super magic answer, click your heels three times throw some pixie dust in the air and your headlights will be fine.
Old 08-23-2003, 01:11 PM
Banned

August 4, 2003

Mr. spta97

Dear Nissan Owner:

Sincerely,

George J. Gudmundesen
Inspector
Commanding Officer
Eighth Precinct

I'm not quite clear on how the Nassau County PD sent the letter to you?? Did they somehow track your license plate down or something?? I live in Suffolk and I didn't get a letter from the Suffolk PD?
Old 08-23-2003, 09:20 PM

well...

I'm sure he registered his 2003 se TE
and I'm pretty sure that the Police still have access to motor vehicle records...
Old 08-23-2003, 10:02 PM
tEh Hope

Originally posted by jay beede

You are absolutely right... Ebay definitely is a huge factor for HID theft. To thieves, it's so easy to get rid of them on Ebay. Nissan should take initiative to make sure that stock Nissan HID's are not sold on Ebay. Only they have the legal right to make Ebay cancel all auctions that sell Nissan HID's... I guess the downside to this is, if you ever have a front end collision and need headlight replacement, you will have no option but to pay full retail price...

Also, how about Nissan start manufacturing these HID's with a built-in tracer? They should design it in such a way that to destroy or remove the tracer, they will have to destroy the most expensive component of the HID unit, thus making it worth less or worthless in the "black market". People at high risk of HID theft can subscribe to the tracing service... I mean with all the GPS and tracking technology that we have today, something like this is very easy to accomplish.
Old 08-23-2003, 10:15 PM
DAP

Is it easy to etch your initials or something on the ballast or is it hard to access?
Old 08-23-2003, 10:39 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally posted by DAP
Is it easy to etch your initials or something on the ballast or is it hard to access?
and what would that do?

I'm amazed the police took the time and spent the money to do this. It seems to me they have better things to do with their money and manpower than check registrations and stuff envelopes.
Old 08-24-2003, 03:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

the moment of truth....

quote:

Just remeber one thing in this matter - Never let her know the truth.
Old 08-25-2003, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by VQPowerSE

I'm not quite clear on how the Nassau County PD sent the letter to you?? Did they somehow track your license plate down or something?? I live in Suffolk and I didn't get a letter from the Suffolk PD?
I was confused at first, but I guess as stated above it was thorugh DMV records.