5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

My impressions of the Cattman Y-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 06:24 AM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally Posted by Darth Vader
I hit the O2 with a little WD-40 the night before and used a cresent wrench on it. It took minimal effort to remove.

Good luck..This mod is so worth it.
i take ti you already installed it?
Old 11-04-2003, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by PoLo
i take ti you already installed it?
Yes, I gave you thanks and praise in a couple of threads for your post on how to do it. I had many complications due to an aftermarket cat that I did not know about. Bolts need to be torched and removed. It took 3 days but it was worth it, thanks again for the instructions.
Old 11-04-2003, 07:20 AM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally Posted by Darth Vader
Yes, I gave you thanks and praise in a couple of threads for your post on how to do it. I had many complications due to an aftermarket cat that I did not know about. Bolts need to be torched and removed. It took 3 days but it was worth it, thanks again for the instructions.
i'd like to see those threads....i usually never get updates to threads.
but thanx...always enjoy compliments
Old 11-04-2003, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by PoLo
i'd like to see those threads....i usually never get updates to threads.
but thanx...always enjoy compliments

One is the butt kissing thread and the other is "My advice on Cattman Y install"

You were my inspiration to do the install. Many thanks.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:09 PM

Installed pipe this evening. Only drove around the block, butt-dyno initially says ~5hp gain. Will have better idea after more drive time and computer-adjust-time. I feel a little more power than I got with the pulley. Install was pretty easy. I got the O2 out with a 7/8 wrench. Fit was very nice and aligned up well. Initial quality looks excellent (smooth welds, nice bends.) No appreciable increase in sound level (good for me--I wanted quiet.)

Complaints so far: I have a creak that I hear at low RPMs (that sounds like the flex section----mebbe it will go away after it 'breaks in')---not too big a deal to me (stereo fixes that.) With the increased power came increased wheel hop and new added bonus: with wheel hop I now get exhaust slapping the body that I never had before. Not sure if I can adjust on it to make a difference, but will try later. I think this pipe holds the rear cat up higher than stock.

C'mon Energy Suspension with the inserts!!!!
Old 11-06-2003, 07:52 AM

The install should have been fairly simple except that one stud. The weight savings alone should help some. It looks like a high quality product.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:02 AM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Originally Posted by maximamaybe
The weight savings alone should help some. It looks like a high quality product.
Yeah, the stock Y was pretty heavy. As for quality, this is my 1st Cattman product, and it will not be the last! He makes some nice quality stuff!

Old 11-06-2003, 08:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by t56gen3
Installed pipe this evening. Only drove around the block, butt-dyno initially says ~5hp gain. Will have better idea after more drive time and computer-adjust-time. I feel a little more power than I got with the pulley. Install was pretty easy. I got the O2 out with a 7/8 wrench. Fit was very nice and aligned up well. Initial quality looks excellent (smooth welds, nice bends.) No appreciable increase in sound level (good for me--I wanted quiet.)

Complaints so far: I have a creak that I hear at low RPMs (that sounds like the flex section----mebbe it will go away after it 'breaks in')---not too big a deal to me (stereo fixes that.) With the increased power came increased wheel hop and new added bonus: with wheel hop I now get exhaust slapping the body that I never had before. Not sure if I can adjust on it to make a difference, but will try later. I think this pipe holds the rear cat up higher than stock.

C'mon Energy Suspension with the inserts!!!!
The knocking you hear may be the intermediate pipe(bpipe) banging on the
brace underneath(middle) the car- remove it and add a thick washer and slap back on- should eliminate it- you may need two if the y pipe brought it down that low
Old 11-06-2003, 05:05 PM
VW = 30 MPG

Just installed Cattman Y and Strait pipe already had GReddy Evo B and Muf

IT IS LOUD!!!!!!!!
Old 11-06-2003, 05:06 PM
VW = 30 MPG

and it Knocks alot!!!!!
got to get under ther and stop that
Old 11-06-2003, 05:15 PM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally Posted by DonGfun
Just installed Cattman Y and Strait pipe already had GReddy Evo B and Muf

IT IS LOUD!!!!!!!!
10 to 1 says that it's your straight pipe that really made it loud. i have the greddy, which already had a drone, and adding the ypipe, just changed the tone of that drone, but did not make it louder.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:57 PM

I can't really tell much difference in sound (I'm still stock exhaust 'cept for the Y), maybe just a hint louder (sounds more like a more open intake.)

And, as promised here is my performance update: I think the ECU is adjusting to the pipe as performance seems to be improving (note--slightly relocated O2 sensor.) The engine pulls the high RPM range much better and pulls all the way to redline with no hint of power dip (like before.) My guess is closer to 10 whp (yes, I know it's subjective--take it with a grain.....) I'm happy with the gains, the quality, and the cost and would recommend to everyone. My only complaint is the banging on the body. Per Manny's advice I will be checking the clearance on the bracket as soon as it warms up a bit.

Thanks Cattman!
Old 11-06-2003, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by t56gen3
My only complaint is the banging on the body. Per Manny's advice I will be checking the clearance on the bracket as soon as it warms up a bit.
I have a stock Y-pipe and I get the banging sound too. I have a WarpSpeed B-pipe and Magnaflow muffler. I put spacers on all the braces underneath the car and it STILL knocks. There must be some serious play in the exhuast system on these cars. I'm going to get under there tommorrow and take another look. I think the knocking comes from that small brace in the middle of the car close to the catcon. Could probably take that off with no ill-effects.

Jesse

PS-if someone finds exactly where the knocking comes from please email me.
Old 11-06-2003, 09:12 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by 02MaximizedVQ
please email me.
NO!

if someone finds it please POST IT HERE!!

Old 11-06-2003, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by 2k2wannabe
NO!

if someone finds it please POST IT HERE!!

Yes, please share!
Old 11-07-2003, 12:04 PM

Well I just got my car on the jackstands and it only took a second to find where the knocking is originating. Its the area of the exhuast pipe that clears the right rear suspension cross member....just a few feet before the muffler. I shook my exhuast pipe and I was able to make it knock in two different places, and they are very close in proximity. I had some visible scratch marks in those places on the exhuast pipe confirming this has been going on for awhile. Here are the pics:

This is where the majority of the knocking has originated. You should check this place first. I didn't have to shake very hard to make contact here.

And here is the other place. Notice the scratch marks aren't nearly as visible. This section of my exhuast was custom bent by a local shop so your mileage may vary.

Now to find a way to fix this! Any suggestions?
Old 11-07-2003, 03:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

SPACERS/WASHERS!!! Or remove the cross brace (I wouldn't do it though!!)
My budget B had a 3-4 mm clearance from the brace and only knocked when the car wasn't warmed up yet( exhaust pipes have more travel then) Your its actually resting on it
Old 11-07-2003, 10:51 PM

I have the fix for that the a/m exhaust has more travel and you have to add a hanger in front of the muffler on the pipe that goes to the frame by the wheel well (i don,t have a pic but when I get one I will post one) did mine at loc muffler shop down here for 15bucks. put my y-pipe on today and will dyno it next week but butt dyno is good,as for noise I have cattman b pipe with res and cattman muffler my car did not get louder it now has the tone of the 350z now jest deeper than before will have it at the track sat night see what it will do