5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Car Accident ... My Baby (long)

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 04:39 PM
Banned

Car Accident ... My Baby (long)

Let me first say that today was a mess in New York City, the only reason i was driving was because i had work today. So im driving, and im noticing everytime i go to brake, hard brake, the brake pedal feels lik i cant push it all the way. So i was like there no way im driving to work. I turn around to take it to Strauss, where they have replaced my rotors/brake pads 3 times. Theres a stop light yellow going red about 2 blocks away, a 2k2 corolla in front of me, and i press on my brakes... guess what happend, they didnt stop, so i skid right into her. The entire front end of my car is crushed... she got a fist sized dent on her bumper and her muffler clip came off. Now the car is in front of my house, and the insurance adjuster is coming on tuesday. I have to pay a 1000$ regardless if its totalled, or if its only 6k worth of damage. I dont know what to do. Only one headlight is completely destroyed, the other is still intact but cracked. As soon as the SHlT outside gets better ill post the pics. I miss my baby, but hopefully shell be totalled then ill be able to upgrade to a 255 hp baby
Old 12-05-2003, 04:57 PM

damm sorry about the accident hope everyone is OK....
Old 12-05-2003, 05:23 PM

I would seek some legal recourse with Strauss if there was a brake problem.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NYC2SD
I would seek some legal recourse with Strauss if there was a brake problem.
I plan on doing that definitly, but first i need to know that the brakes my be faulty.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm not understanding something here. If you say you skid into her, doesn't that imply that your brakes locked the front wheels?
Old 12-05-2003, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by BrandonSE
Let me first say that today was a mess in New York City, the only reason i was driving was because i had work today. So im driving, and im noticing everytime i go to brake, hard brake, the brake pedal feels lik i cant push it all the way. So i was like there no way im driving to work. I turn around to take it to Strauss, where they have replaced my rotors/brake pads 3 times. Theres a stop light yellow going red about 2 blocks away, a 2k2 corolla in front of me, and i press on my brakes... guess what happend, they didnt stop, so i skid right into her. The entire front end of my car is crushed... she got a fist sized dent on her bumper and her muffler clip came off. Now the car is in front of my house, and the insurance adjuster is coming on tuesday. I have to pay a 1000$ regardless if its totalled, or if its only 6k worth of damage. I dont know what to do. Only one headlight is completely destroyed, the other is still intact but cracked. As soon as the SHlT outside gets better ill post the pics. I miss my baby, but hopefully shell be totalled then ill be able to upgrade to a 255 hp baby
They stopped 2 blocks away from the traffic light? You hit a compact car with a mid size and you got the most damage? Does your emergency brake work? What year is your car that you had the brakes replaced so many times?
Old 12-05-2003, 07:03 PM

Sorry to hear that. I just got in a fender bender too, in my girlfriends Silverado tho. We got nailed by some 16 year old who didnt know snow = no traction. His car: $1000 + damage. Silverado: a tiny dent in the bumper. Still sucks tho cause we gotta get it fixed. People need to slow down in the snow!!!
Old 12-05-2003, 08:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Y2K2Driver
I'm not understanding something here. If you say you skid into her, doesn't that imply that your brakes locked the front wheels?
The brakes are definitly being checked out... the whole time while i was driving they were acting weird... its hard to describe but every time i went to brake it felt lik i was pushing then it would kick back.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by charliekilo3
They stopped 2 blocks away from the traffic light? You hit a compact car with a mid size and you got the most damage? Does your emergency brake work? What year is your car that you had the brakes replaced so many times?
No... the car i hit was in front of me and i was about 2 blocks when we both started to stop. Since it was snowing i started... or tried to start to brake when she did but it didnt happen. YES! She had a compact car and i have a mid size and some how i get my whole front end beaten in, and she got seriously guys a dent the size of a fist and black paint from my car on her bumper. I took my car to strauss in august because the brakes squeeled. They said i need new rotors, because all 4 were warped (thanks nissan), and pads because im gettin new rotors. I went on vacation came back and the breaks still squeeled. So i took it in and they said all 4 rotors were bad again and replaced all of them along with pads again. This time everytime i breaked the car would shake, so he ordered nissan rotors which are on there now. Everytime they replaced rotors/pads i paid nothing because it was in the 1 year warranty they guarantee.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:10 PM

The brakes are definitly being checked out... the whole time while i was driving they were acting weird... its hard to describe but every time i went to brake it felt lik i was pushing then it would kick back.

Is that ABS pulsation that you're trying to describe? That's normal when the wheels lock up and ABS kicks in, especially in the snow. What kind of kickbacks?
Old 12-05-2003, 10:33 PM

In your original post you said it felt like the brakes wouldn't go down all the way. It could be that Strauss didn't bleed the brakes correctly. Definately mention this to your insurance company because they are definately going to hold you 100% at fault either way.
Old 12-06-2003, 04:44 AM

"The brakes are definitly being checked out... the whole time while i was driving they were acting weird... its hard to describe but every time i went to brake it felt lik i was pushing then it would kick back." As mentioned above this also sounds to me like ABS pulsation. I've not felt it in my maxima (since I live in bama. No snow, and I brake gently in the rain), but back in Canada I felt this all the time in my mom's subaru. You'd push and you'd feel a scrunching sensation under your feet as if the brake pedal is trying to fight you. Unlike regular braking it's not smooth, but as long as you power that brake pedal down, it will keep fighting you but the abs will take control of things. It's an unusual sensation at first
Old 12-06-2003, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Y2K2Driver
I assume he has ABS which would NOT lock the front wheels. However, if that happened and the car is still under warranty he shouldn't be held responsible. Of course, that will require some fighting from him.

So all I can say, sorry to hear man, and don't give up to easy. Fight till the last drop of gasoline
Old 12-06-2003, 08:32 AM
Banned

thanks

Thanks alot for the advice... of course i know either way im at fault. Since im at fault, if they do find that the rotors are defected like the last 2 sets, then why not sue. The only other thing im worried about is the car being totalled or not. I know im losing a 1g either way because of my deductible, i would rather get the money for the car and have it taken out of that, because once a car has been in an accident the value drops, and ive heard itll never be the same as it was originally. Alot of people have told me that the damage has to be half the value of the car. 2 headlights replaced, plus bumper,fender,hood,door,radiator, and the frame infront of the radiator... hopefully that adds up to 7500 bcuz 2k se = 14500 with 45k on it.
Old 12-06-2003, 08:35 AM
Banned

Another thing i wanted to ask you guys is, if i have all that damage and traveling at a rate of 30 mph, shouldnt my airbags of gone off?... because i didnt get any lights (abs, airbags). Oh yeahh guys i forgot to add this, i cant put my car in park, it only goes into reverse, neutral and drive.
Old 12-06-2003, 08:38 AM

if it can be proven that shoddy work was done by a licensed and reputable place like you alluded to, and this directly led to a loss (accident), your company has an obligation to you, to pay out on your loss, and subrogate (collect) with the repair shop. the burden of proof is on you and your insurer, as you guys have to prove the shoddy work was the cause of the accident. Good luck bro.
Old 12-06-2003, 08:49 AM

Another thing i wanted to ask you guys is, if i have all that damage and traveling at a rate of 30 mph, shouldnt my airbags of gone off?... because i didnt get any lights (abs, airbags). Oh yeahh guys i forgot to add this, i cant put my car in park, it only goes into reverse, neutral and drive.
The airbag may not have deployed for a couple of different reasons. You may not have been traveling fast enough or the crash sensor for the front of the vehicle did not trigger the airbag. I could not find the information on the minimum vehicle speed required for airbag deployment. I'm thinking that your speed was not fast enough.
Old 12-06-2003, 11:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

BrandonSE,

I'm really sorry to hear what happened. I'm surprised that your Maxima got most of the damage, but I still think you're at fault. You knew the brake was acting strange, yet you didn't slow down or have a technician look at it. Or you could have taken the bus or subway, right?

~limsandy
Old 12-06-2003, 11:09 AM

i doubt you did this but never slam your brakes in the snow! you are just asking for skidding...

well I have been rockin' a 94 Corolla and have gotten into an accident in the snow inlast March...50% my fault

I basically tapped the brakes on a turn and my car jut slid intop a guard rail -- fender damage on passengers side...the guy behind me was going fast and hit my rear drivers side bumper...my bumper crushed in fine but the damage to his car was crazy I Love my corolla

Also, I do not like ABS at all in snow...I prefer non-ab because I feel like I control the car better and I drove today for at least 2 hrs in this blizzard because I had to for personal reasons and on Rt. 21 it i crazy! ...if you don't have to drive--don't.
Old 12-06-2003, 11:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by limsandy
BrandonSE,

I'm really sorry to hear what happened. I'm surprised that your Maxima got most of the damage, but I still think you're at fault. You knew the brake was acting strange, yet you didn't slow down or have a technician look at it. Or you could have taken the bus or subway, right?

~limsandy
see thats the actual thing that didnt happen. I just took it to them for an oil change 4 days ago, upon receiving my car back from them i asked the manager about my breaks saying that all of the symptons of the previous brakes were coming back, i.e. squeel. The manager said thats fine it should go away with time. So until yesterday how was i supposed to know, the brakes had until then been performing as they were supposed to except for the squeel at every stop. And do you live in New York?... Sure taking the bus would have been the best choice, but the reason for me getting into this accident was because i was taking my car to strauss.
Old 12-06-2003, 11:45 AM
Sanduguero

sorry to hear about your accident,

i was in the same situation last year but my case was not in the snow was comming out of the car wash the abs lock the brakes (i know how the abs feels when is working) but this was defenetly not the abs working this was just total lock down i hit a van i got a un even bumper and he got **** just a sctrach now right after that my abs light came on i took the car to the dealer and they fix the problem they told me the abs sensor was not working and cause my brakes to malfuntion , i call nissan and complaint they told me where is the car that hit you... i was like he let me go they said the dealer looked at your car when it was been service and they said your car looks fine, i was ****ed but at the same time i dont have time to argue with this people when i first go the car i had the same problem like after 2000 miles they fix it so now i have to complaints on file if this **** happens again i will sue the **** out of them (if they dont help me of course). my advise is call nissan and complaint your brakes were locked do the same with the other company but nissan is not covering other ccompanies problems....good luck
Old 12-07-2003, 05:35 PM

Does the front of your car look anything like the rear of this one?

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....5&page=1&pp=30