5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Dealer admits Nissan is cutting corners...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 08:43 PM

Dealer admits Nissan is cutting corners...

I had my 01 Max in for F.I. service and Trans flush at 60k. I was shooting the *^$*& with the service manager and I asked, why no light under the hood? I luv workin on my car and showing the engine. He said when the dealer would do oil changes they would leave the hood open and drain the battery and they were too cheap to replace it. Nissan did not want to stand behind there own mistake and lack of care and simply would not buck up for the new batteries. Instead of providing a quality procuct with end user features, they took the rediculously cheap way out and punished us- the car payment paying loyalists and took the lights out from under so we have to squint while checking our oil at night...is this paying attention to the consumer? Hello- haven't they heard of relays,...circuts that turn off after 10 minutes like your computer monitor or is that too $$$...they charge enough for the cars. It sucks not having a light under there...also, my trunk light doesn't light without hitting the remote and the doors will occasionally lock by themselves. I also just had to replace the stereo control switch $60, tires- stock are a joke. Say what you want but I bought a Nissan for the quality and service and have found faults with both- overall, still a very good car but I have wind noise, heated seats that heat when they want, doors that lock me out...alarms that go off if I leave the dome light on, Check engine lights that come on as often as comercials during the superbowl. I have a Ford mustang for 10 years and had none of the above...Hmmmm
What really gets me is Nissans attitude of treating it's customers like- whats that stuff on the bottom of your shoe? Thanks Nissan...I still luv my car, as I'm sure most of us do but come on- Nissan needs to get on the ball.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That shouldn't come as a huge surprise, man. Nissan was almost on their way to the crapper in the late 90's before Renault bailed them out, so naturally, Nissan's trying to do everything they can to turn some profit... including cutting costs.

Now, more in line with your thinking, the question stands... can Nissan's executives learn from the past and realize that cutting costs can only help them so far before it starts impacting their revenue?

I'd say this is the beginning of the end for Nissan "quality"... watch the Japanese car companies go the way of American car companies during the 80's and 90's (turning out crap)

Hell, maybe we can Buy American and actually feel good about it if the American car companies get on the ball...
Old 12-14-2003, 09:43 PM

You are so correct, I had a 2000 Sentra 1st and it had weird stuff happening, alarm going off, locking me out even with the key in the ignition, wind whistling , 4 recalls, rattles & shakes, I thought it
was because it was the first run redesign or just a cheap car or they had not worked out the kinks. So I traded up to the 2k2 I have now.

Nissan service is the worse, they always b.s when they cant figure out what the problem is after keeping you car overnite they always say "CAN NOT DUPLICATE PROBLEM" and send you on your way. I really cant stand there service dept.

I think my next car will be a g35 or TLS, I understand they have a excellent service & that alone is enough to switch up.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:59 PM

c'mon.

Regarding your specific issues:
1. Trunk light doesn't light without hitting the remote. Doors will occasionally lock by themselves. <-Not normal behavior. Get it fixed.
2. Had to replace the stereo control switch $60 <-This should be replaced under warranty. I assume you're under warranty still since you're ranting about Nissan service.
3. Tires- stock are a joke. <-True. So are factory tires on most vehicles. Read Tire Rack opinions for long and you'll see OEM tires get consistenly bad reviews. Swap 'em and move on.
4. Doors that lock me out <-Try not bumping the keyfob "lock" button.
5. Alarms that go off if I leave the dome light on <-Would you prefer it just allow the light to drain your battery without notifying you? Or to avoid this altogether, just turn it off when you're done with it.
6. Check engine lights that come on as often as comercials during the superbowl. <-Haven't heard a lot of complaints on the forum. Do you abuse your vehicle? Aftermarket stereo/parts?
7. Nissans attitude <- Then pay the extra $ for the same general car and get the Infiniti if you feel Nissan's service is so poor. I've had great experiences with Nissan service because I'm very friendly to my dealer's staff and I don't stand around griping to them about details like lights under the hood.

Do they really charge too much for the quality? Look at the facts: I have significantly more horsepower, torque, interior space, and features than a BMW 325i for over $5k less. Am I willing to accept lower dealer service quality and some sporatic generally minor issues now and then in exchange for my many additional features and extra savings to boot? No doubt. If not having a light under your hood is enough to ruin your day, maybe it's time you either:
A: Count your blessings
B: Go buy a Chevy Cavalier with a light under the hood.
Old 12-14-2003, 10:04 PM
I live life on the edge

Originally Posted by housecor
Do they really charge too much for the quality? Look at the facts: I have significantly more horsepower, torque, interior space, and features than a BMW 325i for over $5k less. Am I willing to accept lower dealer service quality and some sporatic generally minor issues now and then in exchange for my many additional features and extra savings to boot? No doubt. If not having a light under your hood is enough to ruin your day, maybe it's time you either:

I don't care if you drive a Pinto or a Ferrari. If the customer service sucks and the quality isn't there, who cares what kind of car it is. For the cost of a Nissan and the kind of service you get not too mentiona all of the free lies they tell you. I'd rather pay the extra 5 g's and have better quality and service.
Old 12-14-2003, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by skalberti
I'd rather pay the extra 5 g's and have better quality and service.
Oh yeah? Then prove it: Get an aftermarket extended warranty and take your car wherever you like for service issues. For around $1,300, you'll be glad you did.
Old 12-15-2003, 04:17 AM

Oh yeah? Then prove it: Get an aftermarket extended warranty and take your car wherever you like for service issues. For around $1,300, you'll be glad you did.
most aftermarket warranties have deductibles though. Which is the suck.
Old 12-15-2003, 05:00 AM

Listen, read any board on teh the thread, and you will see someonenot happy. I'll be honest, I had better service with GM on my 2000 z24. On a further note, that Gumba who runs Nissan, even stated that because Sales are growing so fast, it is expected quality and service will fall a bit. I will be honest, I dont plan to buy a Nissan again. 40G$ on a car in 03, and the same in 01, and the service sucked on both, from both dealers. sorry Nissan, service is a big deal. yes we save money, but I dont get the warm and fuzzies.
Old 12-15-2003, 05:06 PM
Wild at Hurt

My dealer is outstanding with service. Ive mentioned them before
on the org and guess what, I get a call from my salesman ea time and once the service manager. So they are actually here because they are enthusiasts.
Nissan was in the hole a half bil, so they may have skimped because of that.

But Renault does scare me because they have blown the American market
twice before.
Old 12-15-2003, 05:11 PM
Maxima Pilot

Originally Posted by Mick Max
My dealer is outstanding with service. Ive mentioned them before
on the org.....

Same here...my dealer deserves and gets 'excellent' ratings each time I've used them....
Old 12-15-2003, 05:26 PM

Housecor...oh really?

Regarding your specific issues:
1. Trunk light doesn't light without hitting the remote. Doors will occasionally lock by themselves. <-Not normal behavior. Get it fixed.
2. Had to replace the stereo control switch $60 <-This should be replaced under warranty. I assume you're under warranty still since you're ranting about Nissan service.
3. Tires- stock are a joke. <-True. So are factory tires on most vehicles. Read Tire Rack opinions for long and you'll see OEM tires get consistenly bad reviews. Swap 'em and move on.
4. Doors that lock me out <-Try not bumping the keyfob "lock" button.
5. Alarms that go off if I leave the dome light on <-Would you prefer it just allow the light to drain your battery without notifying you? Or to avoid this altogether, just turn it off when you're done with it.
6. Check engine lights that come on as often as comercials during the superbowl. <-Haven't heard a lot of complaints on the forum. Do you abuse your vehicle? Aftermarket stereo/parts?
7. Nissans attitude <- Then pay the extra $ for the same general car and get the Infiniti if you feel Nissan's service is so poor. I've had great experiences with Nissan service because I'm very friendly to my dealer's staff and I don't stand around griping to them about details like lights under the hood.

Rebuttal-

1. The trunk light has a TSB- known problem wire harness...
2. The switch is conveinently only covered to 36k which I am over- your right, switches are supposed to wear out on a 2 year old car.
3. Tires- terrible, enough said- not all cars come w/Potenzas, by far the worste stock tire out there.
4. Door locks- I NEVER hit the button, here is Org member that is suprisingly uninformed, there is a TSB for this as well. Wire harness and switch in door needs to be sealed with silicone all 01 Max's
5. Dome light- alarm...this one, I'l grant you isn't a huge deal and could save a battery but not overnight, not on a 1/2 watt bulb if it is
that week, I would just replace it anyway
6.Check Engine light- I really have to call into doubt your .Org status if you have never read that one...it's on every page,. the #1 most common complaint- do you even have a Max or do you work for a dealer? Hmmmm
7. Dealers,...if you don't have *&$*%^ to say about dealer experiences I really have to wonder about you.
A. I count them daily-
B. No Cavalier- possibly a G35 but I doubt I'll respect Nissan for they have not shown good customer support whatsoever.
"C." Remember, a real man can admit he was wrong- every comment you made was wrong...can you admit it? Again, I'm not saying my Max is a bad car- I luv it but I am pointing out shortcomings that are clearly recognized in TSB's. Known problems and cheap ways out (no hood light). These are not what one expects or appreciates. FYI, I use to be a mechanic so I know more than the average bear about my car. If you ever need some pointers look me up- actually, I'll just call you...I'll call you at NISSAN, your a service manager right??? To my real MAX peeps...rock on! "nothing is as strong as kindness"
Old 12-15-2003, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Galo
Same here...my dealer deserves and gets 'excellent' ratings each time I've used them....
My dealer gives me the service I expect. The only thing I don't like is the dealership moved from my area to another city about 15 miles away. They treat me right.
Old 12-15-2003, 06:01 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

I've had to "literally" show my local dealer how to properly use the Consult-II, properly troubleshoot the Hesitation/Lack of Power TSB (NTB03-023), and show them how to download the latest TSB's issued by Nissan. My local service department consistently ranks among the lowest in the SE...but so does their sales
Old 12-15-2003, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Quicksilver
I've had to "literally" show my local dealer how to properly use the Consult-II, properly troubleshoot the Hesitation/Lack of Power TSB (NTB03-023), and show them how to download the latest TSB's issued by Nissan. My local service department consistently ranks among the lowest in the SE...but so does their sales
Did they offer you a job there?
Old 12-15-2003, 06:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have no complaints about my dealer service dept.
Old 12-15-2003, 06:54 PM
retired moderator

First - max01...here is your problem: your car is haunted. Forget the dealer, take it to a priest and get it exorcised asap.

Second - quote "That shouldn't come as a huge surprise, man. Nissan was almost on their way to the crapper in the late 90's before Renault bailed them out, so naturally, Nissan's trying to do everything they can to turn some profit... including cutting costs."

Renault = French
French = produce crap and whine and ***** constantly. Maybe they are trying to turn you into a true frenchman by causing you to whine and *****.

Third - I have read here several times that one can get warranty service (and non-warranty service, for that matter) at an Infiniti dealer. Infin dealers seem to get rave reviews, so why not take your Max there? Or is this not true.

Fourth - you did not buy a Nissan for reliability, liars....if reliability is what you wanted, you would have bought a 4-cylinder accord or civic. You bought the Maxima for the beast that is under the hood and the style that you cannot get in its competitors. You bought the max so you could school all of those pimped-out ricers with a stock, family sedan (and carry 4 friends while you're doing it.)

that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:24 PM
I live life on the edge

I've always been nice to the TWO! dealerships in Little Rock and consistantly I've been bent over by them. First the brakes that should have been covered by the warranty due to the TSB. I took $250 in the a** for those. Then I had to haggle for three months to get my tranmission slipping problem fixed. Yes it was fixed under warranty , but three months of me traveling to the dealership trying to get them to do there job. Then the beloved coil TSB. I have fought for six months to get this problem fixed. I spent countless hours at my local dealership trying to get that fixed and ended up fixing it my self in 30 minutes at a tune of $470 bucks. THat is of course after I spent $300 on a misdiagnosed MAF sensor that the dealership just said "well I guess we don't know what's wrong with your car" That's after me showing the TSB and saying this is what my car is doing. How dumb is that. I'm still trying to get my $300 bucks back for the misdiagnosis. In the end of all this, my back is sore from grabbing my ankles at the nissan dealership and it hurts too bad to sit down. If you own a Nissan, don't move to Little Rock. I still say Nissan has THE WORST customer service of anyone I have ever delt with. Those few of you with your praise stories are a minority, consider yourselves lucky.
Old 12-15-2003, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by eclane

I have no complaints about my dealer service dept.
no complaints? It might be worth moving to monmouth county just for that
Old 12-15-2003, 09:10 PM
Wild at Hurt

Skalberti,
Lots of horror stories. Being smack in the middle of Chicago
and Milwaukee I have 20 dealers in a 65 mi radius. I would think
that Max 01 in Jersey must have more choices than you do in Little Rock.
I think it is more the luck of the draw, and the dealer more than Nissan.
My wifes cousin owns a huge though old Dodge dealer.
He had been getting a larger than avg # of service complaints and they REALLY got on his @ss. And they said we want you to build a new building with a modern service facility.
He had to spend $2 mil or he was going to kiss it goodbye.

Write letters to Nissan, the car business is so competitive it has gotta help.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by max 01
Rebuttal-

1. The trunk light has a TSB- known problem wire harness...
2. The switch is conveinently only covered to 36k which I am over- your right, switches are supposed to wear out on a 2 year old car.
3. Tires- terrible, enough said- not all cars come w/Potenzas, by far the worste stock tire out there.
4. Door locks- I NEVER hit the button, here is Org member that is suprisingly uninformed, there is a TSB for this as well. Wire harness and switch in door needs to be sealed with silicone all 01 Max's
5. Dome light- alarm...this one, I'l grant you isn't a huge deal and could save a battery but not overnight, not on a 1/2 watt bulb if it is
that week, I would just replace it anyway
6.Check Engine light- I really have to call into doubt your .Org status if you have never read that one...it's on every page,. the #1 most common complaint- do you even have a Max or do you work for a dealer? Hmmmm
7. Dealers,...if you don't have *&$*%^ to say about dealer experiences I really have to wonder about you.
A. I count them daily-
B. No Cavalier- possibly a G35 but I doubt I'll respect Nissan for they have not shown good customer support whatsoever.
"C." Remember, a real man can admit he was wrong- every comment you made was wrong...can you admit it? Again, I'm not saying my Max is a bad car- I luv it but I am pointing out shortcomings that are clearly recognized in TSB's. Known problems and cheap ways out (no hood light). These are not what one expects or appreciates. FYI, I use to be a mechanic so I know more than the average bear about my car. If you ever need some pointers look me up- actually, I'll just call you...I'll call you at NISSAN, your a service manager right??? To my real MAX peeps...rock on! "nothing is as strong as kindness"
Oh, so to clarfiy, you're informed about the TSB which Nissan would perform for free, yet you're complaining anyway. Regarding my knowledge of TSB's - I own an '03 and have no reason to keep track of TSB's for an '01. Finally:
Your - Shows possession
You’re – Contraction for "you are"
Old 12-15-2003, 09:52 PM
I live life on the edge

Originally Posted by Mick Max
Skalberti,
Lots of horror stories. Being smack in the middle of Chicago
and Milwaukee I have 20 dealers in a 65 mi radius. I would think
that Max 01 in Jersey must have more choices than you do in Little Rock.
I think it is more the luck of the draw, and the dealer more than Nissan.
My wifes cousin owns a huge though old Dodge dealer.
He had been getting a larger than avg # of service complaints and they REALLY got on his @ss. And they said we want you to build a new building with a modern service facility.
He had to spend $2 mil or he was going to kiss it goodbye.

Write letters to Nissan, the car business is so competitive it has gotta help.

I've called Nissan North America on many occasions, only to have them give me excuses to get off the phone and never return my calls. I was very surprised to see this, going over the dealers head and straight to the main company only to get treated worse.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:30 PM

To housecor...

Oh, so to clarfiy, you're informed about the TSB which Nissan would perform for free, yet you're complaining anyway. Regarding my knowledge of TSB's - I own an '03 and have no reason to keep track of TSB's for an '01. Finally:
Your - Shows possession
You’re – Contraction for "you are"
Thanks for the English lesson- notice how he skirts the issues, in fact all the points that he originally made were succesfully refuted and he was left with nothing but to say I spelled a word wrong. Whats next, a comment about my vocabulary, stick to the topic, my Max. As far as insulting '01's, sorry if everyone in here that has an '01 isn't as good or fortunate as you, having an '03. Youuuur the best...yes, youuuur because I could give a "%$#^" about your grammer lesson. This forum is to bring to light common experiences and try to help your fellow Org member, not talk smack- go back to your local 7-11, smoke you're cigarette out the window of "youuu're" '03 and keep your insults to yourself.
FYI- Since youuur in a teaching mood, maybe youur oppen to learning something...TSB's do not dictate a free repair, nor do they enforce a warranty. They are simply technical service bulletins that identify trends and common complaints for the sole purpose of helping nissan techs quickly troubleshoot commonly known problems. I hope you lease because if you start breaking down, youuur in trouble. Wait, I know...ask your english teacher to spell "cLUeleSs"
Old 12-16-2003, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by max 01
Thanks for the English lesson- notice how he skirts the issues, in fact all the points that he originally made were succesfully refuted and he was left with nothing but to say I spelled a word wrong. Whats next, a comment about my vocabulary, stick to the topic, my Max. As far as insulting '01's, sorry if everyone in here that has an '01 isn't as good or fortunate as you, having an '03. Youuuur the best...yes, youuuur because I could give a "%$#^" about your grammer lesson. This forum is to bring to light common experiences and try to help your fellow Org member, not talk smack- go back to your local 7-11, smoke you're cigarette out the window of "youuu're" '03 and keep your insults to yourself.
FYI- Since youuur in a teaching mood, maybe youur oppen to learning something...TSB's do not dictate a free repair, nor do they enforce a warranty. They are simply technical service bulletins that identify trends and common complaints for the sole purpose of helping nissan techs quickly troubleshoot commonly known problems. I hope you lease because if you start breaking down, youuur in trouble. Wait, I know...ask your english teacher to spell "cLUeleSs"
Pa-lease. At what point did I insult '01's? I merely pointed out I have no reason to keep track of TSB's for a different year than my own. All this coming from a guy who spends his time trying to drum up drama on a lack of underhood light...I can't say I'm surprised

The only reason I said the TSB would be free is I assumed you were still under warranty...why else would you continue to complain about the Nissan dealer service quality when you could take your car elsewhere?

Oh, and trust me, I'm all about helping out fellow .org members and have nothing but respect (and very often admiration ) for owners of other Max years...I had a '97 until a month ago. I just don't care for people who get on the org and attack Nissan over something as minor as a lack of an underhood light. If you're not happy with your car, sell it and move on. Simple as that.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:52 PM

Hood Lights? I think pretty much a lot of japanese cars don't have hoodlight. Unless you're new to japanese cars. It's not an issue for me since what moron would check oil in the dark?
Old 12-17-2003, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
Hood Lights? I think pretty much a lot of japanese cars don't have hoodlight. Unless you're new to japanese cars. It's not an issue for me since what moron would check oil in the dark?
I can think of reasons why you would check the oil when there is no sun out. Lets say, maybe a oil light comes on at 2am on your way home from a club. Maybe after working the night shift you get a service engine light come on or a fuse burns out under the hood of the car (Different Cars, different issues). I think it is fair to say, that the world doesnt revolve around the day time for everyone, and that requesting a simple light under the hood to help with that is not to much to ask (That's why we have headlights, to see the road at night). Furthermore, I don't think a moron would check the oil in the dark, but thinking you would never have to, ever, in your entire life check something under the hood when light was comprimised, really tells us who is the MORON.

Happy Holidays!
Old 12-17-2003, 04:30 AM

here's your solution:

get a flashlight

OR do the MAG-LITE mod so it's sitting right there for ya next to your seat.

sheesh, people complain about the dumbest things.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by bobcat
here's your solution:

get a flashlight

OR do the MAG-LITE mod so it's sitting right there for ya next to your seat.

sheesh, people complain about the dumbest things.
It's not dumb at all. If you don't see a reason for it, doesn't mean someone else can't. I think that a underhood light has more purpose then a sunroof, but which one sells cars? I like the tire pressure feature available on other cars, does that make me dumb? Let's not be blinded by our love for our cars here. No 2 Maximas are built the same, and no 2 cars are built the same, so how can it be possible everyone who has a Maxima can be happy? Geeez, it's not as if he is asking for voice activated climate control, or laser guided cruise control.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:58 AM
Jer

I guess you'd also argue that I'm a moron if my car breaks down on a 2-lane highway in the middle of buttfuk nowhere, and I need both my hands to fix something, let's say I have to hold what I'm screwing with my tool (no, I'm not referring to your wife, gf - I'm talking about the car still).

Also I guess you're new to non-japanese cars since I'm pretty sure last time I checked there's a few american, german, and whatever else cars that don't come with a bulb under the hood. Actually - quite literally no bulb sometimes because the fixture/harness is there with the $2 light bulb missing ($ 2x 1,000,000 units = $2 million in savings for a manufacturer).

However, all of this means that most of us are morons, since most of us have likely had to plunge into the depths of our engine bays in darkness whether they wanted to or not over the years.. maybe a lucky few haven't, or some who haven't driven as much/had the chances of it happening to them yet. Given the fact that the majory of humanity is still rolling forwards, we can't all be morons - so maybe you're the singular moron instead.

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
Old 12-17-2003, 07:46 AM

My Nissan Dealership is backed by Yogi Berra..."Whats a good deal with a good dealer..."
Old 12-17-2003, 07:49 AM

I meant without a good dealer....anyway MAX 01, you go to the Nissan dealership by Denville on Route 10? My luck has been pretty good with Hilltop Nissan....fairly honest....but then again, I dont know if you're getting bad service.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jer
I guess you'd also argue that I'm a moron if my car breaks down on a 2-lane highway in the middle of buttfuk nowhere, and I need both my hands to fix something, let's say I have to hold what I'm screwing with my tool (no, I'm not referring to your wife, gf - I'm talking about the car still).

Also I guess you're new to non-japanese cars since I'm pretty sure last time I checked there's a few american, german, and whatever else cars that don't come with a bulb under the hood. Actually - quite literally no bulb sometimes because the fixture/harness is there with the $2 light bulb missing ($ 2x 1,000,000 units = $2 million in savings for a manufacturer).

However, all of this means that most of us are morons, since most of us have likely had to plunge into the depths of our engine bays in darkness whether they wanted to or not over the years.. maybe a lucky few haven't, or some who haven't driven as much/had the chances of it happening to them yet. Given the fact that the majory of humanity is still rolling forwards, we can't all be morons - so maybe you're the singular moron instead.
here ya go...

light
Old 12-17-2003, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by dave
here ya go...

light
bbbbbwwwwaaaahhahahhahahahahah
is it just the light, or does it come with that cool yellow hat too?
Old 12-17-2003, 06:24 PM
Wild at Hurt

Would you rather have the VQ without a UH light, (see top 10)
or the Taurus Vulcan (??) with a hood light?
I think I know where Ford came up with the money to light her up like Vegas if they wanted to.

Two words

Magnetic flashlight