5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Programming Remote Instructions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 08:58 AM

Programming Remote Instructions?

Hey guys, I know theres a pdf somewhere but couldn't find it in the stickies and i dont have search, could someone hook me up with the pdf for programming the remote for gen 5 thanks!
Old 01-10-2004, 11:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by AdamK
Hey guys, I know theres a pdf somewhere but couldn't find it in the stickies and i dont have search, could someone hook me up with the pdf for programming the remote for gen 5 thanks!
Hey I couldn't find the pdf but here is the instructions I found.

For 1998-2002 Maxima, Pathfinder, Sentra, Altima, and Frontier Vehicles 2002 Quest and Xterra Vehicles:

1. Programming Procedure:

A. Get in the vehicle. Close and lock all doors using the driver's power door lock-unlock switch.

B. Insert and remove the ignition key more than 6 times within a 10 second period (at a rate of one insertion/removal cycle per second). The key should be withdrawn from the ignition key cylinder completely each time it is removed.

NOTE : Do not rush the insertion/removal key cycling process.

C. Turn the ignition key to the "ACC" position. The ignition key should remain in the "ACC" position throughout the remainder of the programming, including programming of additional remote controllers.

D. Press any button on the remote controller one time.

NOTE : Do not press the button more than one time in the above step. If the button is pressed more than one time, the programming procedure will not be successful.

The hazard warning lights will flash twice when this step is accurately completed and programming is successful. For 2000 Quest vehicles, the side marker/tail/license lamps will flash twice when programming is successful.

E. If you are programming only one remote, proceed to step 3A. If programming additional remotes, continue with step 2A, below.

2. Programming Additional Remote Controllers (Maximum of 4 Remotes):

A. Remain inside the vehicle after programming the first remote.

B. Use the driver's power door lock-unlock switch to unlock and then lock the doors.

C. Press any button on one of the additional remote controllers one time.

NOTE : Do not press the button more than one time in the above step. If the button is pressed more than one time, the programming procedure will not be successful.

The hazard warning lights will flash twice when programming is successful. For 2000 Quest vehicles, the side marker/tail/license lamps will flash twice when programming is successful.

If there is more than one additional remote to be programmed, repeat steps 2A through 2C above for each additional remote.

3. End Programming:

A. Remove the key from the ignition.

B. Use the door lock-unlock switch on the driver's door to unlock the doors. Open the driver's door to complete the programming

C. Check the operation of each of the remote controllers by locking/unlocking the doors with each remote controller you have programmed.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:15 AM

Will this also work with '98 Pathfinder?
Old 09-17-2009, 04:33 PM

I purchased (2) remotes that work on the 350Z (same remote) right?

Model number is

282686Z

Here is the link of the pic of the remote.

I did the programmig instructions and neither remote works???? My old one does work though when I go thru the programming stages.

Did I buy the wrong remote?

Last edited by zand02max; 09-17-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:45 PM

I called the dealer and they won't help, this is sad!
Old 09-17-2009, 08:17 PM

try this site http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic229792.htm
or this one http://www.automotiveforums.com/t23005.html

I also believe you may have the wrong part number key fob for the 5th gens I believe it is Part # : 28268-2Z021 / NISSAN model # ASTU15

here's a cross reference listing site http://spotco2.com/1testt.htm

Last edited by Ghost_54; 09-17-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've tried the instructions above but they are not working on my 2002 Maxima GLE.
My hazard lights do not blind after I insert and remove my key from the ignition 6 times.
I can't seem to get it into the programming mode.
I've tried slow, fast, medium... but nothing seems to work.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 11-17-2009, 07:43 AM

your car might not be equipped with keyless entry!! i think there is a relay under the hood for keyless...check and see if you have a relay in the box if not then it might not be equipped or if there is a relay its possible its blown.....
Old 11-17-2009, 10:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My car does have the relay.
I have a working remote that came with the car.
I am trying to add 2 more remotes but I can not seem to get the car to go into programming mode with the instructions above.

Any suggestions?
Old 11-17-2009, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by gimbap619
My car does have the relay.
I have a working remote that came with the car.
I am trying to add 2 more remotes but I can not seem to get the car to go into programming mode with the instructions above.

Any suggestions?
I did this a couple of weeks ago, and those were the instructions I used. Try getting into the car, unlock the doors from the panel then lock them from the panel, then try inserting the key.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:31 PM

I've tried the instructions above but they are not working on my 2002 Maxima GLE.
My hazard lights do not blind after I insert and remove my key from the ignition 6 times.
I can't seem to get it into the programming mode.
I've tried slow, fast, medium... but nothing seems to work.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Edit: Link below for the pdf:
http://sites.google.com/site/nelsito...attredirects=0

These same instructions worked for me. You said that your hazards lights did not blind (I guess you meant "flash") after you inserted the key 6 times; the instructions call for inserting and removing the key more than 6 times. Just for the sake of it, read and follow very carefully the instructions and try again:

REPROGRAM KEY FOB
QX4, 1997-2004 Q45, I30, I35,1999-2002 G20, FX, G35, M45, Most Nissan Vehicles
To reprogram (enter new ID) key fob (keyless remote controller) follow these steps:
1. Close all doors and lock all doors using the power door lock switch.
2. Insert and remove the key from the ignition key cylinder more than six times within 10 seconds, at a rate of one insertion/removal cycle per second (The hazard warning lamp will then flash.)
NOTES:
Key should be withdrawn from ignition key cylinder completely each time.
Do not rush the insertion/removal key cycling process. The side marker/tail/license lamps and interior illumination will flash twice when this step is accurately completed.
3. Insert key on ignition key cylinder and turn ignition key switch to "AAC" position. At this time, the new ID code is entered and original (previous) ID codes are erased.
4. Press any button on the new remote controller once. (The hazard warning lamp will then flash)
NOTE:
Do not press the button more than one time in the above step. If the button is pressed more than one time, the programming procedure will not be successful. The side marker/tail/license lamps and interior illumination will flash twice when this step is accurately completed and programming is successful.
If there is only one remote controller skip step 5.
5. Additional ID code entry. Release the door lock, then lock again with door lock/unlock switch (In power window main switch)
6. Remove key from ignition
7. Unlock driver side door, open driver side door and then close the door. (END)

Last edited by Nelsito65; 11-17-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The above are the exact instructions that I have followed but I am not able to enter into programming mode. After inserting and removing the key more than 6 times, there are no flashing of any lights.
I do have the original remote that continues to work but would like add 2 more.

Are there any other suggestions to getting into programming mode?
Old 11-24-2009, 09:58 AM

Can i use my old 2k2 max remotes for my buddies 2005 se-R sentra
Old 05-28-2010, 03:07 PM

it works as described. you may have to try a few time to get the speed down. have patience.and the key is the unlock the door after and OPEN it.
i sat there after a few successful attempts (hazards blinking) and unlocked but didnt open and pressed a button on the remote...nothing happened.
after you open the driver door it all works!
Old 05-03-2011, 10:08 PM

Oh god, I bought my car with only one key. I made a copy of the key but I never got a key fob. Just the other day I got an idea of using my family's 05 altima's spare remote for my car. I wasn't sure if I could program it myself or had to take it to the stealership. But I followed the above steps and now I have a working remote! I can't believe that I've been driving this car for three years without a remote and my main reason o wanting one is so I could open the door for my girl lol.

Thanks guys for this great community and all the inputs. I'm gonna buy a maxima.org decal to show my support.

Jay
Old 05-04-2011, 05:26 PM

The above are the exact instructions that I have followed but I am not able to enter into programming mode. After inserting and removing the key more than 6 times, there are no flashing of any lights.
I do have the original remote that continues to work but would like add 2 more.

Are there any other suggestions to getting into programming mode?
I never did get the hazards lights to blink although the reprogramming worked fine. I thought I was doing something wrong but it still worked. So if you follow the instructions, ignore the lights flashing part, and move on and see if it works. It did for me.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by jayogolmic
Oh god, I bought my car with only one key. I made a copy of the key but I never got a key fob. Just the other day I got an idea of using my family's 05 altima's spare remote for my car. I wasn't sure if I could program it myself or had to take it to the stealership. But I followed the above steps and now I have a working remote! I can't believe that I've been driving this car for three years without a remote and my main reason o wanting one is so I could open the door for my girl lol.

Thanks guys for this great community and all the inputs. I'm gonna buy a maxima.org decal to show my support.

Jay
Uh guys. So i went to visit my parents over the weekend and as i was locking my doors with the remote, i noticed that my remote (reprogrammed following the steps listed in this thread and worked great) was locking/unlocking both my car and the family's altima (where i got my "spare" remote from).

This in my book is, ummm, no good. Any ideas on how to correctly programs the remote so it only controls my car? thanks guys

Jay
Old 06-06-2011, 11:24 AM

You'll have to re-program the Altima to only accept the remotes that are going to be used on it. Instructions are here: http://www.programyourremote.com/cla...se.asp?cid=247
Old 06-06-2011, 11:46 AM

Froggmann,

thanks for the help/link. i'm gonna try it after work today.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

This post helped me alot especially to Ghost_54 for the cross reference list, helped me get the right remote, bought one that was not compatible--did not do research first--
Shout outs to imxelite for posting the original instructions and Nelsito65 for posting the condensed version so I could read it all on one page without having to scroll.
Thanks to everyone else for their input as well, as a33_ridah said it takes a little patience and to get the speed down, my lights did flash after I took my time and now my wife's car has her remote and I can sleep better knowing she can hit panic anytime she needs to if in a strange area.
Thanks to all, this is truly a great forum with the best owners of the best car..............EVER!!!

P.S. Now I gotta get my own
Old 10-17-2011, 02:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a very strange issue with my car alarm. I have a stock 2003 Maxima GLE car alarm, and a couple of days ago I lost the key and remote fob when I was helping my friend on an old yacht he got (don't ask lol).

Anyway, I got a guy I know in the city to duplicate the key and chip from my second key I had at home and he also hooked me up with a used remote fob. The FCC ID# matches the standard one for my maxima and year and it's a 4 button remote, it also came with instructions on how to program it. I followed the directions, and it all worked smoothly. The new remote lock and unlocks the doors, unlocks the trunk, and the panic button makes the alarm go off, also just as it should, when I press lock the car beeps and the security light by the clock starts flashing, so seemingly all perfect.

However, here is the issue, for some reason, before I lost my old remote, unless I deactivated my alarm on the remote first it would go off even if I used my key to open the car door, and especially if I would unlock my car through an open window (without turning alarm off first). However, now even after I lock my car with the new programmed remote fob and it makes the beep sound and everything, EVEN if I reach in and open the door through an open window the alarm stays silent.

Any ideas guys?!?!
Old 06-02-2014, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by imxelite
Hey I couldn't find the pdf but here is the instructions I found.

For 1998-2002 Maxima, Pathfinder, Sentra, Altima, and Frontier Vehicles 2002 Quest and Xterra Vehicles:

1. Programming Procedure:

A. Get in the vehicle. Close and lock all doors using the driver's power door lock-unlock switch.

B. Insert and remove the ignition key more than 6 times within a 10 second period (at a rate of one insertion/removal cycle per second). The key should be withdrawn from the ignition key cylinder completely each time it is removed.

NOTE : Do not rush the insertion/removal key cycling process.

C. Turn the ignition key to the "ACC" position. The ignition key should remain in the "ACC" position throughout the remainder of the programming, including programming of additional remote controllers.

D. Press any button on the remote controller one time.

The hazard warning lights will flash twice when this step is accurately completed and programming is successful. For 2000 Quest vehicles, the side marker/tail/license lamps will flash twice when programming is successful.

E. If you are programming only one remote, proceed to step 3A. If programming additional remotes, continue with step 2A, below.

2. Programming Additional Remote Controllers (Maximum of 4 Remotes):

A. Remain inside the vehicle after programming the first remote.

B. Use the driver's power door lock-unlock switch to unlock and then lock the doors.

C. Press any button on one of the additional remote controllers one time.

The hazard warning lights will flash twice when programming is successful. For 2000 Quest vehicles, the side marker/tail/license lamps will flash twice when programming is successful.

If there is more than one additional remote to be programmed, repeat steps 2A through 2C above for each additional remote.

3. End Programming:

A. Remove the key from the ignition.

B. Use the door lock-unlock switch on the driver's door to unlock the doors. Open the driver's door to complete the programming

C. Check the operation of each of the remote controllers by locking/unlocking the doors with each remote controller you have programmed.
worked perfectly...so simple to do! yay for old posts.