5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: So what springs are you running on your Max?
Eibach
16.59%
H&R
9.17%
Maxspeed
6.70%
Tein H-Tech
6.62%
Tein S-Tech
12.08%
Groundcontrol Coilovers
0.87%
Sprint
1.60%
Progressive
6.40%
JIC
0.95%
Stock
39.01%
Voters: 1374. You may not vote on this poll

What springs are you running on your Max??

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 01:22 PM

People with Sprint springs!!!

How does the ride quality on the Sprint springs. I heard they give you a good drop, good handling, and that you don't sacrafice the ride quality from your stock springs. That they are not too stiff at all. Is that realy true from what what I heard?
Old 06-25-2005, 03:01 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Maxspeed/Illuminas
Old 06-26-2005, 12:17 AM
OU > *

Just got done lowering the front of the car with H&Rs on the stock struts.....looks and feels great!
Old 06-29-2005, 11:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Stupid Question, Stupid Answer.

I just recieved the Tein S. tech springs for my 2k2 Max, but when I looked on the box it says that they are for a 95-99. When I called the seller, they said that the springs are the same and that they just have different part numbers... So I'm unsure of if these springs will fit or not? are they the same or are they totally different? Sorry to Hi-jack the thread, I just really need an answer. Thanks.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:45 PM

I'm running D2 coilover.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:12 AM

Not really appropriate for this thread, but I need to sell a brand new, unopened, set of Tokico Illuminas adjustable struts & shocks...as well as long travel rear mounts.

PM me, if interested.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:16 PM
Honda Convert!

Illuminas/APC 7"coilover springs (450lb)
Old 07-11-2005, 03:36 PM

JICs
Old 07-11-2005, 03:55 PM
drag racing is for wussies

JICs on fresh struts are better ! Make sure if you buy used, they are the new updated design struts or you will have issues

I'm rolln on FLTA2s.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:05 PM

Does changing your suspension change your gas mileage?

Does changing your suspension change your gas mileage?
Old 07-15-2005, 01:02 PM

Upgrading your suspension won't change your mileage...
UNLESS you accelerate/brake more into turns, freeway onraps/offramps, run away from cops...
Old 07-15-2005, 01:37 PM
Honda Convert!

Originally Posted by HulaMAX
Upgrading your suspension won't change your mileage...
UNLESS you accelerate/brake more into turns, freeway onraps/offramps, run away from cops...
Yeah watch out for the but once you have a new suspension you will want to all day long as fast as you can. Which in turn could change your gas millage quite a bit.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:08 PM

Looking to change out springs for improvement in aggressive handling (I autocross my '00 SE Max). Don't want to lower it dramatically or kill the ride since it is my daily driver. So far from reading I have narrowed it down to H&R, Tein H.Tech, and Maxspeed. Thoughts on why any of these are a poor choice?

Also would prefer to not replace stock struts. If I choose a spring that doesn't dramatically lower the car, what are my odds of not blowing the struts? Any other concerns with using stock?
Old 07-17-2005, 11:31 AM
Honda Convert!

Originally Posted by Whitey-00MaxSE
Looking to change out springs for improvement in aggressive handling (I autocross my '00 SE Max). Don't want to lower it dramatically or kill the ride since it is my daily driver. So far from reading I have narrowed it down to H&R, Tein H.Tech, and Maxspeed. Thoughts on why any of these are a poor choice?

Also would prefer to not replace stock struts. If I choose a spring that doesn't dramatically lower the car, what are my odds of not blowing the struts? Any other concerns with using stock?
Hey dude I would totally go with Eibachs, they are very good for auto cross and you wont have to change you struts for quite a while, I went on my old eibachs for over a year with stick shocks. SO thats my suggestion, but if you dont want to get those I would get the Tein's. But really no matter what springs you get the car and you would benefit from upgraded shocks. And if you do get shocks too go with Tokico Illuminas. They are just great.

Bruce
Old 07-17-2005, 05:57 PM

DO NOT use new springs with existing shocks...especially lowering springs. You will blow your stock shocks for sure.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:41 AM
BP
Donating Maxima.org Member

^ not accurate. if you use a spring with a mild drop (eibach / hr's) you can ride on stock SE struts for a good while without them blowing out. there are several members, including myself, who have been on lowering springs with stock struts for a while with no problems.

all struts will blow out at some point. but there are several who've upgraded their struts along with the springs and still blow the aftermarket struts.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:46 AM
Honda Convert!

Originally Posted by BP
^ not accurate. if you use a spring with a mild drop (eibach / hr's) you can ride on stock SE struts for a good while without them blowing out. there are several members, including myself, who have been on lowering springs with stock struts for a while with no problems.

all struts will blow out at some point. but there are several who've upgraded their struts along with the springs and still blow the aftermarket struts.
Thanks for the support on this one at least someone who knows what they are talking about.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Installed about a month ago. Tein S-Techs on Illuminas. Ride quality is pretty good. Rough at times But I"m in the smooth suburbs but drive to the city often. I have the Illuminas set at 3/3

Old 07-18-2005, 07:22 PM

H-Techs

I have the H-Techs and they are great. I used to have Eibachs but they sagged after less than 1 year and were a bit harsh on some of the bumps.
The H-techs give a really nice and smooth ride and they don't lower the car drastically. I have them running with the Illuminas set on 4 all the way around and shod with some Michelin PS2's. The ride is absolutely fantastic. The increased dampening of the shocks, set at 4, offset by the softness of the springs and the softer Michelin sidewall give this car the ride and handling of a fine European ride.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:25 PM

Guys... Keep the info coming.

I am trying to find the H&R spring rates (linear), but comparing the Eibachs (are these Progressive springs?) and the Tein-H(linear), the rates look very comparable. Is there a big difference between these two types of springs for performance handling? Other postings have complained about Eibachs sagging, have you had any experience with this?

What are the best prices folks have found for the Tokico Illuminas? Just feels like a lot of money to me for not much benefit in terms of autocross handling.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:59 PM

Eibach springs sag

Eibachs are progressive

H-Techs are progressive

Don't know abou the H&r's bu tthe ones tht I had in my Mustang were specific.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:46 AM
CAN YOU PUT IT ON THE WALL?

Guys... Keep the info coming.

I am trying to find the H&R spring rates (linear), but comparing the Eibachs (are these Progressive springs?) and the Tein-H(linear), the rates look very comparable. Is there a big difference between these two types of springs for performance handling? Other postings have complained about Eibachs sagging, have you had any experience with this?

What are the best prices folks have found for the Tokico Illuminas? Just feels like a lot of money to me for not much benefit in terms of autocross handling.
pm me, i think i have the spring rates on almost all the springs except sprint...they wouldnt give me the rates, and were actually a55holes about it. I collected a ton of data when searching for springs, and i didn't use it to make me spring decision...instead, I let looks prevail. I think the S-techs will be short lived. give me some time to look for it, and i can get it for you.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:29 AM

what do you mean by short lived
Old 07-19-2005, 01:45 PM

IWNTMORPH

I sent you an e-mail because I couldn't get it to PM you. hopefully you received it, I just joined the site and can't get the PM to work.

I look forward to the response.

Any reponse from others on the best prices available for Illuminas?
Old 07-19-2005, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by BP
^ not accurate. if you use a spring with a mild drop (eibach / hr's) you can ride on stock SE struts for a good while without them blowing out.
Yes, while that may be true for SE struts, the whole SE suspension is not considered to be "Stock" by any means.

"Stock" refers to a setup that is basic and interchangeable for all models, whether they be GXE, GLE, SE or whatever.

Used SE struts may handle the stress, but used GXE struts will not.

Even with SE struts, changing just the springs will lessen their life as compared to stock springs. That is what I have been told by a speed shop mechanic who has worked on Nissan cars for over 20 years.

I don't put much "stock" in anecdotal reports.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:25 PM

do you want a prize or something?
Old 07-19-2005, 07:19 PM

Does anyone know the Stock SE spring rates for 5th gen? are they linear or progressive? I would like to compare them to get a sense of what % stiffer the new springs are going to be.

thanks.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by ighettoboyi
Thanks for the support on this one at least someone who knows what they are talking about.
do you want a prize or something?

No...just a retraction.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:39 AM

you misquoted me my friend...i don't even know why you'd do that but you did
Old 07-20-2005, 04:04 PM

you misquoted me my friend...i don't even know why you'd do that but you did
Scroll up, my friend.

What I quoted were your exact words, verbatim, and you did ask me a question (albeit a smart a** remark) regarding a conversation between myself and BP that did not involve you.

When you take a swipe at me by saying, "...at least someone who knows what they are talking about," in reference to BP's comment about my post, and followed that up with your dumb, "Do you want a prize or something?" and then act like, "What did I do?" speaks volumes about where you head is at.

And, it is not out in the sunshine.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by dr-rjp
Scroll up, my friend.

What I quoted were your exact words, verbatim, and you did ask me a question (albeit a smart a** remark) regarding a conversation between myself and BP that did not involve you.

When you take a swipe at me by saying, "...at least someone who knows what they are talking about," in reference to BP's comment about my post, and followed that up with your dumb, "Do you want a prize or something?" and then act like, "What did I do?" speaks volumes about where you head is at.

And, it is not out in the sunshine.
did you not understand me? you MISQUOTED ME. I NEVER SAID THAT.

are you sure you're not mistaking me with papasmurf....

someone needs to check where THEIR head is at. obviously it's up your @ss. and weren't YOU the one that was asking about suspension, milage, and then giving misinformation to people? toss my salad buddy

Old 07-20-2005, 05:44 PM
Honda Convert!

did you not understand me? you MISQUOTED ME. I NEVER SAID THAT.

are you sure you're not mistaking me with papasmurf....

someone needs to check where THEIR head is at. obviously it's up your @ss. and weren't YOU the one that was asking about suspension, milage, and then giving misinformation to people? toss my salad buddy

Yeah I did say at least someone knows what they are talking about and that was in response to the comment made by BP

Originally Posted by BP

so try not to be too mad at him. Lets all just be friends here I mean its all in the love of max's right
Old 07-21-2005, 01:14 PM

Going H&R w/Illuminas in a week - researched like crazy and it'll be a good fit for my driving habits...mildly agressive and somewhat lengthly commute on LA roads.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:32 PM

Tein S W/Illuminas: soon
Old 07-23-2005, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by MadMax2K3
Going H&R w/Illuminas in a week - researched like crazy and it'll be a good fit for my driving habits...mildly agressive and somewhat lengthly commute on LA roads.

Murph, the Tein H-Techs are the only spring that will keep the rear a little bit higher than the front, especially with our maxes and the way that our wheel wells are shaped. The rear always looks lower than the front. Whatever the case is, touch base when you are ready to get it done and I'll have my guys do you up.

By the way, fix your home page. It sends viewers to Yahoo.com We want to see your cardomain site.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:45 PM

ok...here's the rates everyone was asking about...someone take the next step and cross refrence this with the drops listed and the feedback from people who have used them and maybe through some flawed analysis, we can figure out what we're each looking for.

Progress: 165-250 front; 179-285 rear (Progressive Rate)
Vogtland: 134-194 front; 205-377 rear (Progressive Rate)
Eibach: 140-189 front; 194-346 rear (Progressive Rate)
Tein H: 3.2mm/kg front; 5.1mm/kg rear anyone figure this one out? (Linear)
Tein S: 3.6mm/kg front; 4.8mm/kg rear (Linear)
Canuck Motorsports: 125 front; 320 rear "10-15% stiffer than stock" (Linear)
Megan Racing: 280 front; 230 rear (Linear)
H&R: "25-30% Stiffer than Stock" (Progressive) (That helps! Thanks guys!)
Stock SE: HTFK!?!
Maxspeed: No info. Made by ADR
Sprint: No info. Refused to give rates. Dissed several other companies and was an overall *******.
Drop Zone: Couldn't find any info.

I am missing a few, but these are the ones I was able to find. I have ordered a set of B&G's and Vogtlands and Tein S techs. I will eventually be testing these on my 2002 6 speed with illuminas and a STB and RSB. Anyone with feedback from the others listed please post up! Hope this helps. Maybe some others can fill in the blanks.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:52 PM

I think that the H-Techs are a progressive rate spring not linear.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:58 PM

that is what i have heard also, but there is only one spring rate given which from my research in speaking with the different reps from Vogtland, Sprint, Eibach, and H&R...every one said the same thing: If there is only one rate listed, it is a linear rate spring. There should be an initial rate and a final rate (basically just before spring bind) to be a progressive spring. Take the time and look for the rates and see what you find. I welcome any corrections you come up with, but make them based on fact not hearsay please. I want to keep this as close to clear cut as possible and not dilute it with "I heard...", and "I think..." Thanks.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:32 PM

so that info on the htechs, did someone from tein tell you they were linear or did they simply say "if there's only one number, it's linear".....
Old 07-24-2005, 05:53 PM

which struts are stiffer... kyb agx or kyb gr2.. and people who have one of those strusts and a tein s-tech combo, wat do you think of it? hows it handling? hows the ride? thanks

Quick Reply: What springs are you running on your Max??