5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Strange Front End Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 03:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Strange Front End Noise

[FONT=Century Gothic]Got back from a trip using Amtrak's Auto Train and getting the car up to speed on the highway I now have a PROPELLER NOISE - yes I said propeller noise. I sounds like a Cessna is right over the car and speeds up when I speed up and slows when i slow. The pitch of the noise is determined by the speed of the tires (when pushing the clutch in - I get the same noise so I don't think it engine related).

Any clue what this stupid noise could be?

Erik
Old 04-05-2010, 02:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Did you find an answer??

I just moved and my car was shipped on a moving van...pretty much identical to your situation and I have the same exact propeller noise...any clue to what it is?
Old 04-05-2010, 02:37 PM

Bad wheel bearing?
Old 04-05-2010, 02:48 PM

What's the probability of 2 new members asking for the same issue?

How could he post a new thread without reaching 15 posts...just wondering.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:49 PM

the maitre has been a member since 2003, ok, that's legit.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:06 PM

also look at the date posted by the OP and compare it to the 2nd post.

its not a coincidents its just a thread that was never answered being brought back to life for someones benefit and possible the entire forum some day.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:14 PM

I would check everything driveline related, since pressing in the clutch doesnt eliminate the noise. Axles, wheel bearings, hubs, etc. Also, try to pinpoint the noise to a particular area of the car if possible, that should make it easier to diagnose.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:15 PM

Sounds exactly like when I had a bad rear wheel bearing.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I find it strange that both of our cars, "the maitre's" and mine both started happening after being moved on an auto transport. His was a train, mine was in a moving van. I wonder how they secured the car and if that caused something to go? I guess I'll have to get it checked out since it's a mystery noise to most people.

Any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:37 AM

hey guys im new here jus got a 5.5 gen i know my o2 sensor is bad but just recently i hear i humming noise comming form underneath the hood? and specifics or where to start checking first
Old 04-07-2010, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by benjamayn
I find it strange that both of our cars, "the maitre's" and mine both started happening after being moved on an auto transport. His was a train, mine was in a moving van. I wonder how they secured the car and if that caused something to go? I guess I'll have to get it checked out since it's a mystery noise to most people.

Any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks for the help.
Do you know how the transporter tied the vehicle down? Although it doesn't sound like you know.

I could see CV joint issues if straps were run over axle, unnaturally loading them.

Since the noise is proportional to vehicle speed, the problem lies with a rotating piece between the final drive and the wheels. Check the usual suspects: wheel bearings, axles/CV joints & passenger side axle carrier bearing (although I don't know if these regularly fail).
Old 04-09-2010, 08:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I got the car checked out and it is the wheel bearings on both wheels. I think what happened was all the rain in Boston the past few weeks and driving through some mid-wheel high flooding, water got into the bearings and then the car sat for about a week while I was traveling for work and then another week sitting on the moving van and the bearings probably rusted. They were originals on the car and it was just a coincidence....the mover secured the car in the moving fan appropriately and that wasn't the cause. I think it's just bad luck and timing. Oh well.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by benjamayn
I got the car checked out and it is the wheel bearings on both wheels. I think what happened was all the rain in Boston the past few weeks and driving through some mid-wheel high flooding, water got into the bearings and then the car sat for about a week while I was traveling for work and then another week sitting on the moving van and the bearings probably rusted. They were originals on the car and it was just a coincidence....the mover secured the car in the moving fan appropriately and that wasn't the cause. I think it's just bad luck and timing. Oh well.
glad u found the problem. How much they charging you on replaceing the parts plus labor?
Old 04-10-2010, 03:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The estimate was list price on the bearings...$112 per bearing....and 2 hours of work per bearing at $87.47 per hour. $573 total....the labor sounds about right...but I know the parts can be purchased for about half the cost. I am new to the area and I don't know of any other quality mechanics. I need to get this fixed asap so I can go to work and live my life...i might just bite the bullet because it's a must fix and then look for other mechanics in the future....I will think about it this weekend and decide if I need to call around to other mechanics. I just don't know any that I trust and people I work with recommended these guys. I was from Boston now in Kansas City...so I'm kind of stuck on this one here.