5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

This is what happens when Potenzas go bad...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 07:47 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

Man, that sucks. Time to put my summer wheels. Thanks for the reminder
Old 03-11-2004, 09:23 AM
is invisible

So "we" believe that Maximas should come with expensive high-performance tires?
Old 03-11-2004, 09:33 AM
jjs

Originally Posted by irish44j
Look, I'm as happy as anyone to be rid of my RE92's in favor of Falken 512's (which are outstanding in the rain, I might add). The RE92s were dangerous in the rain, I never went over 50-55 on the highway in rain, and really slowed down with standing water around. BUT......

Here's why you can't sue:
The tire is not INHERENTLY dangerous. It's actually quite good in the dry. That said, the first time you hydroplane in the wet on it, you should know what needs to be done: SLOW DOWN. Hear me complaining of not being able to go over 55 on the highway with RE92's in the rain? Well, the SPEED LIMIT IS 55, so technically I should not be going over 55 anyways. If you are speeding you are liable for anything that happens I would assume.
Dude, I agree about not bothering trying to sue, however I cannot agree with you defending those tires, especially with your 55 mph example. Try living in areas with posted speeds as high as 70, what the hell you gonna do? Slow down to say 45 on a 70 mph highway and then become a danger to everyone else who has tires capable of performing without hydroplaning? Down here that is a sure way to get rear ended, cut-off, or shot. And again, this is all WITHOUT speeding.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by HitManSE
The OEM wheel size is 225/50/17 You can also try running 235/45/17 but from my experience, no matter what pressure you keep them at they will wear out from the center a lot quicker then normal. Mine only lasted 12K nice tires, but I would like atleast 25-30Kmiles.
I don't have experience going with a wider tire on the stock rim but have talked about it in several threads in the past. I know SR20DEN put 245/45 Toyo T1-S's on his, I'd like to know how his are wearing.

I would think the wear in the middle could possibly be attributed to squeezing the wider tire on a narrow rim forcing the tire to bow in the center. Just a thought...

I just bought a set of 17x8 Kosei K1 TS's with Toyo 245/45 T1-S's. Had'em mounted yesterday but Tirerack sent one of the rims with the wrong bolt pattern (110x5). They're swaping it out, the rim will be delivered tomorrow at the shop. I also got $160 off on the rims for some surface imperfections
I'll post my thoughts in the tires/wheels forum once I get to drive on them some.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by maximaman777
I don't have experience going with a wider tire on the stock rim but have talked about it in several threads in the past. I know SR20DEN put 245/45 Toyo T1-S's on his, I'd like to know how his are wearing.

I would think the wear in the middle could possibly be attributed to squeezing the wider tire on a narrow rim forcing the tire to bow in the center. Just a thought...
I think they wore out due to the wider tire on a 7" rim as well. It looks like it was overinflated like hell! Im not planning on going wider again not unless I get me some 8-8.5" wide wheels, then ill step it up to 245's
Old 03-11-2004, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by HitManSE
I think they wore out due to the wider tire on a 7" rim as well. It looks like it was overinflated like hell! Im not planning on going wider again not unless I get me some 8-8.5" wide wheels, then ill step it up to 245's
That's why I waited to replace the craptenza's. I've got 16.2k on them and they're at the point I just don't think it's safe with them anymore. I can't wait to get the new set on
Old 03-11-2004, 11:15 AM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by 2k2wannabe
Glad everyone is ok in the accident, but NTSHBBY...

Last edited by UMD_MaxSE

next time just delete the whole post

if it doesn't say everything I put in the first time then it might as well not say anything at all.

face it, 1) NTSHBBY has his head up his *** if he thinks he's even going to *contact* a lawyer, 2) there is no way this would qualify as a class-action lawsuit, 3) 6spmax was right in everything he said before his posts were edited.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:29 AM
Got Bent?

Originally Posted by 2k2wannabe
next time just delete the whole post

if it doesn't say everything I put in the first time then it might as well not say anything at all.

face it, 1) NTSHBBY has his head up his *** if he thinks he's even going to *contact* a lawyer, 2) there is no way this would qualify as a class-action lawsuit, 3) 6spmax was right in everything he said before his posts were edited.

if you have a problem with posts being edited, I suggest you find less inflammatory ways to express your opinion. If you feel that you can't express your points in a civilized manner, then I suggest you step away from your keyboard. Look, yours isn't the only post edited here or in other threads... I am tired of having to clean up threads just because someone feels like mouthing off and flaming before carrying on a tame, civilized discussion. This goes not only for you but everyone here... If you guys feel that you have the right to mouth off and flame people at will, then you are in need of a reality check. I would like to keep this forum as looslely moderated as possible not because the moderators are lazy, but in the hopes that the exchange of information is better. But I see that loosely moderating means that people do nothing but take advantage of it by flaming people and just in general being a nuisance.