5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Angel Eyes/Projector Headlights for $258...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 09:25 AM

that looks very very good. I want to do that so bad i might not get shocks. I hope you wont hate if people copy you. Also what is the difference in the bi-xenons you got and the level one under then on hidtech.com
Old 04-19-2004, 11:34 AM
MK3 Supra and Focus ST

Here are a couple more pics in the daylight For your viweing pleasure.

Old 04-19-2004, 02:20 PM
Z

Originally Posted by PhxBlue
Here are a couple more pics in the daylight For your viweing pleasure.

Old 04-19-2004, 02:42 PM

everyone involved in this project....You guys are the best!
Old 04-19-2004, 06:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

John again, thank you for all your help!

Originally Posted by redstradic
wow, those look amazing! what did the total cost include? if i didnt have OEM HIDS already, i would certainly go this route.
My thoughts exactly, but I still like the overall quality of the OEM headlights better We can get these to go into the OEM headlights, the projectors were $459.99 +shipping and whatever the headlights were he bought so it was 700ish. The only probelm with getting the Valeo's into the OEM headlights is the fact that you have to hack apart the headlight and if you make 1 mistake its pretty much all over. Thats why I havnt done it yet (still undecided) I would do them in the fogs but im not sure it they would fit.

Originally Posted by jessa
awesome retro man, first 5th gen projector retro im pretty sure, good stuff! you should show it on hidforum.com, they'll def appreciate it
One step ahead of ya
Click

HKMax: Thanks, it was an interesting retro. As for a write up

Oxidizer2k: Thanks again.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:23 AM

PHX, you gonna paint those lights black? Or do you like them Chrome?

......man, you are going to miss this maxima whenever you have to give it up.. you have done so much with it, so many memories.....
Old 04-20-2004, 10:30 AM
MK3 Supra and Focus ST

No , they are staying chrome. They look way hott!
Im never giving up my car, I plan to be buried in it...
Old 04-20-2004, 11:55 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hitman-

Valeo's would definitely not fit in our fogs. Also, I don't think we can open up the fogs like you can the headlights. Might have to dremel them and manually seal them yourself. If you want HID projector fogs, buy a set of projector fogs from autozone or something (halogen) and build your own cutoff shield, and retro in a D2S bulb. I've got a link to a writup somewhere, I'll find it for ya if your really interested.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by 00SEinMA
Hitman-

Valeo's would definitely not fit in our fogs. Also, I don't think we can open up the fogs like you can the headlights. Might have to dremel them and manually seal them yourself. If you want HID projector fogs, buy a set of projector fogs from autozone or something (halogen) and build your own cutoff shield, and retro in a D2S bulb. I've got a link to a writup somewhere, I'll find it for ya if your really interested.
Never say never I can make anything work, all depends on how modivated I am All that matters is that the front is covering the projector lense, the rear part of the housing will have to pretty much be dremmeled out like hell The only issue is how far back would it sit. As for the writeup, if you can find it yeah please do post it. Im most probably going to get another set of fogs along with a set of Valeo's, ill try to make em fit. If it works it works, if not ill throw the fogs away
Old 04-20-2004, 12:16 PM

Hitman-

This is true, ANYTHING can work. The things that I would be worried about if you do it your way is:
A) getting the projector lense close enough to the front of the fog so that the light evenly escapes without unwanted glare.
B) Mounting and adjusting the fog assembaly after the back is removed.
C) Sealing the foglight and making the projector secure enough (more than just JB weld)

I'll find the writeup for you, but I would give more power to if you can get a set of valeo's in there in working condition. Fogs are cheeper to hack away at than 2K2 lights ... Maybe if yours come out correct, and mine comes out perfect, we can swap ideas/tecniques and each have 4 valeo's on our max's
Old 04-20-2004, 01:01 PM

"modivated" lol!! Now thats something Ive never heard!

Originally Posted by HitManSE
Never say never I can make anything work, all depends on how modivated I am All that matters is that the front is covering the projector lense, the rear part of the housing will have to pretty much be dremmeled out like hell The only issue is how far back would it sit. As for the writeup, if you can find it yeah please do post it. Im most probably going to get another set of fogs along with a set of Valeo's, ill try to make em fit. If it works it works, if not ill throw the fogs away
Old 04-20-2004, 01:03 PM

Wow.. you love it that much? Im touched....

No , they are staying chrome. They look way hott!
Im never giving up my car, I plan to be buried in it...
Old 04-20-2004, 01:04 PM
MK3 Supra and Focus ST

John, lemme know if you under take this project i'd be happy to help (not like you need help), but you know what I mean.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:06 PM
MK3 Supra and Focus ST

You know it, I am devoted to my Max, best car I have ever owned.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:22 PM
Z

I can't wait to get a pair for myself in 2 weeks. God they look great.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:52 PM

I just got my 2K2 HIDs today and you put me through of this crap? Darn it!
Old 04-20-2004, 05:08 PM
MK3 Supra and Focus ST

Originally Posted by @NgRyM@XiM@
I just got my 2K2 HIDs today and you put me through of this crap? Darn it!
LOL, well if it helps any, the retro was difficult and expensive and not worth the price unless you are totally **** about your HID's.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:30 PM

Hitman-

This is true, ANYTHING can work. The things that I would be worried about if you do it your way is:
A) getting the projector lense close enough to the front of the fog so that the light evenly escapes without unwanted glare.
B) Mounting and adjusting the fog assembaly after the back is removed.
C) Sealing the foglight and making the projector secure enough (more than just JB weld)

I'll find the writeup for you, but I would give more power to if you can get a set of valeo's in there in working condition. Fogs are cheeper to hack away at than 2K2 lights ... Maybe if yours come out correct, and mine comes out perfect, we can swap ideas/tecniques and each have 4 valeo's on our max's
Thats the reason I said "The only issue is how far back would it sit" the glare. It can be hacked deep enough to fit but sealing it off might be a task thougher then I may think at this moment. One thing I can say for sure is that sometimes simplicity is just the best route to take. As both George & myself found out while doing this retro. Thats my main issue, I allways get ahead of myself and start thinking about fancy little gizmo's ect... when something 10x easier could be done. Im not sure what could be used, but im sure there is a way to do it & seal it off. As for aiming...I got a few ideas but like I said I get too technical about it & something simpler might be there once I get in there. Right now im thinking custom brackets, but those can my
Who knows, ill worry about it when I decide to get in there. If I decide to stop being stubborn, ill just do the thing with the right up and claim they are valeo's

As for exchanging idea's, im game. I just diont know when im gonna start this thing.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Oxidizer2k
"modivated" lol!! Now thats something Ive never heard!
You like that one huh I think I should start copyrighting
Reminds me of back in high school were I said a certain word a different way, within 1 week people I didnt even know were saying it I was like I dont know you, were the hell did you hear that?...hey...COME BACK HERE...

John, lemme know if you under take this project i'd be happy to help (not like you need help), but you know what I mean.
We shall see, no date has been set as of yet.

@NgRyM@XiM@:
Old 04-20-2004, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Arnold K.
I can't wait to get a pair for myself in 2 weeks. God they look great.
I hope you know what your getting yourself into.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:15 PM

I'd just like to say thanks to both of you guys (HitMan and PhX) for the time you put into this. I knew that this was possible with a little effort I just haven't had the time. Those pics are nearly priceless! Great job on the retro...I honestly think you two should start making these things for members. You really could do a good job and make some nice $$.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey guys you dont need to paint the headlights... they sell them in the black housing

check this out black housing
Old 04-20-2004, 06:32 PM
I miss the .org!

How did I miss this project? That is soooooooooooooooooo TIGHT. I wonder if the eyelids will fit on those aftermarket lights?
Old 04-20-2004, 06:49 PM
MK3 Supra and Focus ST

Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
I wonder if the eyelids will fit on those aftermarket lights?
I was wondering the same thing. I might buy some of the straight ones.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:15 PM

Yeah we know.. thanks

Originally Posted by NYCaZn_2k
hey guys you dont need to paint the headlights... they sell them in the black housing

check this out black housing
Old 04-20-2004, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Hamy
I'd just like to say thanks to both of you guys (HitMan and PhX) for the time you put into this. I knew that this was possible with a little effort I just haven't had the time. Those pics are nearly priceless! Great job on the retro...I honestly think you two should start making these things for members. You really could do a good job and make some nice $$.
Thanks Overall I would say the retro took about 8-10hrs of actually tinkering (not bad considering its the 1st one) The next one (whenever that is) is obviously going to take less time to do since I learned a few things that I should & should not do to speed things up. As far as making & selling them for members, thats definetly some food for thought but im not too sure about it...
personally I love the quality of the OEM units better then these (the housing, not the actual HID ) If/When I do mine it could be retro'd into the OEM housing for relativley cheaper then HIDtech (who's repetions im not too fond of at this moment, as far as retros go anyway) but that has yet to be determined.

I would seriously want to do a few retro's into the actual OEM housing a few times to become efficient at it be4 anything is decided but only time will tell, its a thought that might be worth looking into in the future, it all depends on the demand. We shall see...
Old 04-20-2004, 07:50 PM
I miss the .org!

I was wondering the same thing. I might buy some of the straight ones.
Sure, just let me know. Since you bought the engine cover too, I might be able to get you some kind of small discount on them...

Anyways, this mod is driving me insane. I want it sooooo badly.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:11 PM
LithiuMax

Wow.. I missed this entire thread for some reason. Those look DOPE! I wonder how hard it would be to retrofit those projectors into OEM housings...

Old 04-20-2004, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by LithiuMax
Wow.. I missed this entire thread for some reason. Those look DOPE! I wonder how hard it would be to retrofit those projectors into OEM housings...
Very difficult, and your gonna have some downtime on the headlights. Its definetly not a 1day project. Once you start hacking, you have to take it one small step at a time. The last thing you want to do is make a mistake and have to throw out $1400 headlights its possible but the operation is not for the faint of heart. It would look better though
Old 04-20-2004, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by LithiuMax
Ahem... months of research to make it perfect... ahem...
Old 04-20-2004, 10:41 PM
I miss the .org!

Well it wouldn't be that expensive actually. You could purchase a set of headlight housings only (no bulb, ballasts, etc...) and do the retrofit. I'm guessing the cost of that would only be around like $300-400?
Old 04-20-2004, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
Well it wouldn't be that expensive actually. You could purchase a set of headlight housings only (no bulb, ballasts, etc...) and do the retrofit. I'm guessing the cost of that would only be around like $300-400?
Well, no not really. The only place you can find the OEM Hid's now for a reasonable price is ebay in the $500ish area. I dont recall seeing just the housing for sale, but those alone are still costly.
The Valeo ECE Projectors alone are in the upper 400's shipper, plus the cost of the housings or headlights whichever. You'd be lucky to pay less then $800.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:56 PM

I looked for a long time to try to find a set of headlights without ballasts and bulbs. I saw them on e-bay once but they were obviously stolen. You would still end up spending around $500 for the set without ballasts etc. Then you need to get the valeo ece and seperate ballasts and bulbs ($500 easy) and additional hardware (shrouds, mounting brackets etc)... And if you get a new ballast, unless it's a Matsusheita ballast, you won't be able to use the factory mounting bracket, so you will need to re-locate the ballast in a new location.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:07 PM

Thats the problem with purchasing a pair off ebay. I refuse to buy a stolen set of headlights. I just went to the stealership and got it at cost which is still far more expensive then $500/pair.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:10 PM

Yes just a tad bit more than 500 lol
Old 04-20-2004, 11:14 PM

Yes just a tad bit more than 500 lol
You could 2x that price and still have to pay more & thats at COST!
Old 04-20-2004, 11:19 PM

You could say that I'm spending just a tad bit more than that too... including everything all said and done. I think I'm going with hella MB shrouds and a small trim ring inside... that'll be the final piece to my puzzle.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:24 PM

hey guys... i havn't done a retro on my maxima yet, however i've done them on my accords and quest and titan... regarding the comment about leaving the housings chrome or not... Yes it does look cool but you get crazy glare and reflections, i have attached pics below of my first retro to point this out. The pics are of a retro on a 1999 honda accord, using honda s2000 projectors in OEM headlamps. I thought that the chrome looked good, which it did, but check out what happens when its foggy outside !!!

(if you look at the third pic, you will see a car in the back... thats my bros 02 accord with s2000 projectors as well, but we painted the housings in metallic black, so it still looks good during the day, however as the pics illustrate, no annoying ugly reflection)

Old 04-20-2004, 11:26 PM
MK3 Supra and Focus ST

Well, luckily for me we never have fog in Phoenix.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:32 PM

I don't think phx has anything to worry about in the glare department. Jattmax, you are talking about retrofitting a projector into a reflector based system where the light spreads out too quickly and bounces off of the walls of the reflector. Phx has no reflectors, he's using a headlight designed for a projector beam pattern. Any painting/chroming would simply be cosmetic.

Quick Reply: Angel Eyes/Projector Headlights for $258...