5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Write up or how to rewire fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 02:26 PM

Write up or how to rewire fog lights

Doesn't anyone know or know where I can find a write up to rewire my fog lights to light up with my side markers? THANKS
Old 03-24-2004, 02:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by pablosal
Doesn't anyone know or know where I can find a write up to rewire my fog lights to light up with my side markers? THANKS
Give this a look: http://www.innerbean.com/housecor/fog_rewire.html
Old 03-24-2004, 03:01 PM

I think your write up is a little different. See, I have a 2k GXE and I installed stock fogs. I don't have the stalk with the fog switch and I don't have the relay. I figured I can get the wiring from the sidemarker and the wiring from the fogs and connect them together. Turning on the parking lights and/or headlights, both will light up. Is your similar to what I'm trying to do?
Old 03-24-2004, 03:45 PM

I installed fogs on my GXE; you have the wiring, just not the relay or the stalk. You can modify an off-the-shelf Bosch relay to fit in the existing socket; from what I recall, you simply have to "clip" one of the terminals (un-needed) to fit into the socket. You won't have the locks that keep it in the socket (like the factory relay), but friction should keep it in, and so will the cover. These are available for, say, $3 or so.

You can also buy a factory relay if you're paranoid about this, but it'll set you back $20 or so.

Consult a manual to verify that you have the fuse installed (inside the car) that provides power to the fog; my GXE already did.

Now, all you need is a switched circuit (such as your parking lights) to "trip" the relay, closing the circuit to your new fog lights. Consult your relay wiring diagram to confirm which terminal needs to receive this signal. This circuit carries very little current, so it will not blow a fuse. The lead to this will need to enter the box with the relays from the bottom (you can drill a small hole, adding a grommet, by unbolting the wiring / relays from the box first). I saw a link on how to do this, but don't remember where.

NOTE: in many states, the fogs MUST switch off with the high beams, and can ONLY be on with the low beams. NC and VA SPECIFICALLY inspect for this, and you will FAIL a safety inspection if the fog lights do not comply. This is how the fogs are wired at the factory. To comply, you CANNOT switch using the side marker lights, as these will be on with the parking lights, low beams, and high beams.

You can use your low beam circuit (also available in the relay box) to provide the signal to your new fog light relay (you didn't install the fog light "stalk", remember, so the fog light signal won't get a signal without additional wiring).

Too much trouble? Buy a new stalk! I believe it will set you back $60 or so, but you can take the low buck relay approach I mentioned and not have to do ANY other wiring. And you STILL want to switch the fogs with the side marker lights? You could wire a DPDT switch BETWEEN the signal to the relay and put it under the hood. In the "normal" position, use the factory signal so that fogs are only on with the low beams; in the "illegal" position (er, "modified" position), wire a new signal to your side markers (don't try to do this without a switch; you'll blow fuses or need to add diodes). If I lost you, "stick with stock and buy a stalk".

The fog light wires themselves are already in the car; pull off the covers, look up, and you'll see them taped up on the existing harness.

Good luck!

rbneron
Fog Light Pictures (it can be done!)
Old 03-24-2004, 03:51 PM

Found the link!

http://www.max-world.org/frames/howtodo.html
Old 03-24-2004, 05:52 PM

housecor, does your writeup method make the fogs come on with the hi-beams too? if so, is this a problem for NYS inspection?
Old 03-24-2004, 06:16 PM

Pablosal:

While perusing E-bay, came across this...the fog light switch you need! This will save you having to wire ANYTHING; you just need to purchase a relay (or modify a Bosch-type that you may have lying around).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2468816076
Old 03-24-2004, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by ckohl23
housecor, does your writeup method make the fogs come on with the hi-beams too? if so, is this a problem for NYS inspection?
Nope, the fogs still shut off when the hi-beams come on.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:21 AM

Now I have a problem, do I do the rewire or just get the stalk and relay. $20 is not bad for the stalk and I can probably pick up a relay somewhere. What to do?
Old 03-25-2004, 03:51 AM

I suggest you get the stalk and relay. You'll need the relay anway to do the rewire, and the stalk at least gives you the OPTION to wire it as with the factory. You could then follow housecor's how-to, adding a switch to the wires (as shared earlier), allowing you to choose between the 2 modes (factory setting or "modified").

Again, check with your local DMV...you would FAIL an inspection in VA with the modification, as the fogs are ONLY allowed to be on when the low beams are on.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by rbneron
I suggest you get the stalk and relay. You'll need the relay anway to do the rewire, and the stalk at least gives you the OPTION to wire it as with the factory. You could then follow housecor's how-to, adding a switch to the wires (as shared earlier), allowing you to choose between the 2 modes (factory setting or "modified").

Again, check with your local DMV...you would FAIL an inspection in VA with the modification, as the fogs are ONLY allowed to be on when the low beams are on.
Cool, thanks for the info
Old 03-26-2004, 02:46 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by housecor
Nope, the fogs still shut off when the hi-beams come on.
Oh my god this question been in the forums for age.

Any mods you want to do to your car just go to housecor homepage.He is the how-to man
Old 03-26-2004, 11:40 AM
SHIFT_this

I'm wondering the same thing Pablo iz, I love housecor how-to's but his car is a 2k3 which I'm sure has slight different wiring and gizmos. Us 2k folk got to be sure that we have the right wires.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Ryals
I'm wondering the same thing Pablo iz, I love housecor how-to's but his car is a 2k3 which I'm sure has slight different wiring and gizmos. Us 2k folk got to be sure that we have the right wires.
Thats why its good to have a service manual for your car the year.

however,i got the idea on how to from Housecor ,and use my service manual for 2000 to see the wiring on my car.
Old 03-26-2004, 01:02 PM

I think your write up is a little different. See, I have a 2k GXE and I installed stock fogs. I don't have the stalk with the fog switch and I don't have the relay. I figured I can get the wiring from the sidemarker and the wiring from the fogs and connect them together. Turning on the parking lights and/or headlights, both will light up. Is your similar to what I'm trying to do?
Here is one for 2000

http://www.max-world.org/writeups/5t...fogrewire.html
Old 03-26-2004, 01:13 PM

For you 00-01 guys, here's a link: http://www.max-world.org/writeups/5t...fogrewire.html

This requires more wire than my setup, but it'll do the trick. My how-to says which fog wire to use for the '00-'01 but I'm not sure if you have the same taillight wires as a 5.5 gen.Do you '00-'01 guys not have a red with green stripe taillight wire coming out of your taillight relay?
Old 03-26-2004, 01:35 PM

Is it possible to do the same thing as housecor but with the yellow wire on 00-01? Cut yellow, tap into red tailght wire?
Old 03-26-2004, 04:33 PM

Housecor IS the man; just pointing out that his modification is illegal in some states. Proceed at your own risk.

Also, pablosal was simply asking for help. He didn't have the stalk or the relay, so housecor's modification BY ITSELF wouldn't help him. Once pablosal HAS a relay installed, he can proceed with the excellent how-to instructions provided by housecor.

I followed housecor's modifications myself to add the additional switching circuit, but I have my "fogs" replaced with driving lights. This requires REVERSING the logic of the factory relay; lights ON with high beams; lights OFF with low beams.

Don't believe me concerning regs? Check the VA DMV link below. It is very specific on driving vs. fog lights. This safety inspection is required to registed a vehicle in the state.

Modifications are fine for looks, performance, etc., but proceed at your own risk when you violate safety or emission laws. You won't get a lot of sympathy if you're breaking the law.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...19VAC30-70-160
Old 03-26-2004, 08:18 PM

Housecor IS the man; just pointing out that his modification is illegal in some states. Proceed at your own risk.

Also, pablosal was simply asking for help. He didn't have the stalk or the relay, so housecor's modification BY ITSELF wouldn't help him. Once pablosal HAS a relay installed, he can proceed with the excellent how-to instructions provided by housecor.

I followed housecor's modifications myself to add the additional switching circuit, but I have my "fogs" replaced with driving lights. This requires REVERSING the logic of the factory relay; lights ON with high beams; lights OFF with low beams.

Don't believe me concerning regs? Check the VA DMV link below. It is very specific on driving vs. fog lights. This safety inspection is required to registed a vehicle in the state.

Modifications are fine for looks, performance, etc., but proceed at your own risk when you violate safety or emission laws. You won't get a lot of sympathy if you're breaking the law.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...19VAC30-70-160
Excellent points rbneron. I have updated the how-to with a warning.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:46 PM

I rewired my fog lights today and it was so EZ with this link.

So if eney one wants to rewire there fogs you can go wrong
Old 03-27-2004, 12:46 AM

I just got the quick tap (blue color) at radioshack. Its amazing how this thing works. Just waiting on the stalk and relay.
rbneron, where can I buy this bosch relay for 3 bucks? Trying to keep this fog light modification project as cheap as possible.
Old 03-27-2004, 02:58 AM

How's this?!

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...=330-070&DID=7

You can even download a free wiring diagram. Most electronics / parts stores will carry the same.
Old 03-27-2004, 03:00 AM

Oh. You may be able to find one without the mounting tab. If not, simply trim it off.
Old 03-27-2004, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by 1phtmax
I rewired my fog lights today and it was so EZ with this link.

So if eney one wants to rewire there fogs you can go wrong
Good to hear. Noticed you're running an '01. So to confirm, your '01 did have a red wire with a green stripe on the taillight relay?
Old 03-27-2004, 09:30 AM

Good to hear. Noticed you're running an '01. So to confirm, your '01 did have a red wire with a green stripe on the taillight relay?
yes it did red wure witha greeb stripe and silver dots
Old 03-27-2004, 10:10 AM

How's this?!

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...=330-070&DID=7

You can even download a free wiring diagram. Most electronics / parts stores will carry the same.
Yeah a lot of places have it but they want 15-30 bucks for it. This one will work. Thanks!
Old 03-28-2004, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by 1phtmax
yes it did red wure witha greeb stripe and silver dots
Ok, I have that one.

The one you cut is the yellow one out from the fog relay, right? Then use the radioshack quick tap and join the yellow one and the red one with the green stripe? This is what I have understood.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:46 PM

Ok, I have that one.

The one you cut is the yellow one out from the fog relay, right? Then use the radioshack quick tap and join the yellow one and the red one with the green stripe? This is what I have understood.
Right on.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:08 AM

wooopi! with housecor's confirmation, its GO time.
I just want to say that housecor IS the man and that his tutorials rock! its nice to know that we (org members) have someone to go to if we have questions, especially when it comes to wiring which I know none of. grazie
Old 03-29-2004, 08:36 AM
SHIFT_this

Hey would the relay from my Hella horns work, I won't be using it and I noticed it seems to be similar to the one on that link?
Old 03-29-2004, 05:50 PM

Hey would the relay from my Hella horns work, I won't be using it and I noticed it seems to be similar to the one on that link?
Probably. Check the relay wiring link listed above and compare it to the relay on your Hella horns (?); the "Bosch" relay is very popular and, as shared earlier, it's the same wiring configuration dat's in your Max. You just need to "clip" the terminal that's not in your Max so that it'll fit into the socket.