5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

FSTB and RSW brands. What is good

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 05:16 AM

FSTB and RSW brands. What is good

I have been looking at purchaing a FSTB and a RSB. It appears that Stillen has the most expensive parts and custommaxima.com has the cheapest.

Does anyone know the quality of the STB and SB that suctommaxima.com offers?

They have their own brand of strut tower brace ($69) and progress rear sway bar ($139).

Thanks,
Reza
Old 03-30-2004, 05:19 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by rezadue
I have been looking at purchaing a FSTB and a RSB. It appears that Stillen has the most expensive parts and custommaxima.com has the cheapest.

Does anyone know the quality of the STB and SB that suctommaxima.com offers?

They have their own brand of strut tower brace ($69) and progress rear sway bar ($139).

Thanks,
Reza
i have the Progress RSB and Otto FSTB
good quality at a good price
Old 03-30-2004, 05:24 AM

I have the Stillen RSB and like it. I have the custommaxima.com FSTB and it is a very nice piece.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:27 AM

Besides the brand name, is there a reason the Stillen products are 50% to 100% more expensive?
Old 03-30-2004, 05:28 AM

BTW, do you guys have specs on the thickness of your sway bars? Progress vs. Stillen?
Old 03-30-2004, 05:39 AM
Cletus

Besides the brand name, is there a reason the Stillen products are 50% to 100% more expensive?
nope, just the name. its a bar, they all work the same.
people buy stillen for the name. not that thats a bad thing. i havent owned a pair of shoes that werent NIKE
i dont know the thickness of either. but even if the progress is thinner, there is NO way you will bend it while driving so it doesnt matter.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:45 AM

Soonerfan,

I am not worried about bending it. The thickness of the bar dictates how stiff it is and how much it will help in flattening your ride and how much harsher of a ride you will have.

And you can have quality strut tower braces and crappy stuff which flex and is only good for impressing the girlfiend!
Old 03-30-2004, 05:46 AM

my reason for purchasing the stillen was so that I (and you) would not see any mounting hardware from the rear of the car. The stillen-type bar looks very oem. I have seen only one other maxima in my area with a rsb, it wasn't a stillen, and I didn't really care for the look of the shiny hardware standing out under there. You could paint it I supose. One reason the Stillen bar cost more because the machined mounting hardware is a little more expensive to produce, and yes, another reason is the name cut into the brackets!
Old 03-30-2004, 05:49 AM
Cletus

Soonerfan,

I am not worried about bending it. The thickness of the bar dictates how stiff it is and how much it will help in flattening your ride and how much harsher of a ride you will have.

And you can have quality strut tower braces and crappy stuff which flex and is only good for impressing the girlfiend!
flexing is bending.
my progress is stiff!
Old 03-30-2004, 05:51 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Todds_max
my reason for purchasing the stillen was so that I (and you) would not see any mounting hardware from the rear of the car. The stillen-type bar looks very oem. I have seen only one other maxima in my area with a rsb, it wasn't a stillen, and I didn't really care for the look of the shiny hardware standing out under there. You could paint it I supose. One reason the Stillen bar cost more because the machined mounting hardware is a little more expensive to produce, and yes, another reason is the name cut into the brackets!
thats a good point, i hadnt even thought of that.
my buddy has the stllen one and i could hardly tell he had one.
but i personaly dont care if the hardware shows.
but for the people that do.... (cant believe im sayying this) get the stillen
Old 03-30-2004, 06:06 AM

The reason why Stillen is worth the extra $$$
The install is so much easier, only 8 bolt, 4 on each side, so the install takes only about 30min.
The brake line won't get slice by the bracket
Stillen has lesser chance of making clunk noise.
You can adjust the stiffness of bar, by moving the bar back and fourth.
Then again, I have the stillen RSb.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:10 AM

When referring to flexing I was talking about the strutt tower brace and the flexing I refer to usually occurs where the rings are welded onto the brace.

The sway bar thickness determines cornering flatness and ride comfort.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:58 AM

Regarding the STB... We've all read comments from those that didn't feel anything, and those that did feel some improvement (whatever that implies). I DID feel an improvement in steering wheel feedback. The front end felt more rigid and connected. I don't mean there are any measurable improvements in a handling category, just "feels" better. That tells me the custommaxima bar is very rigid and boxes the front end quite well. I'm guessing here, but the tubular bars look less rigid to me, I'm not knocking them, but that's how I explain why some people "feel" a difference and some do not. IMO it was definitely worth the money.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:30 AM

Good feedback Todd.

When I still had my Talon, I had heard on several occasions, that to get the full effect, it is best to weld the adjustment nuts after you fit the sway bay on the car. When looking at STBs (and this is just my novice speculation) I wonder if the flat STBs would be more prone to torquing and therefore less solid.

Pictures of the custommaxima.org STB look pretty nice though ;-)
Old 03-30-2004, 11:26 AM

I agree, generally it seems a flat bar would be more prone to flexing than a round tube, but the difference here is the custommaxima bar is very thick and rigid (and the otto, from what I've seen) compared to the tube type bars on eBay... They really are heavy duty pieces of hardware. Again, I too am speculating since I have only seen photos of the tube bars and have never inspected one first hand. When I visualize each and imagine the amount of force required to flex them, I imagine the tube flexes more easily.