5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Here's an update for rotor problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2001, 07:55 AM

Just got off the phone with nissan na. rep told me that the rotors are only covered till 12,000 miles. says it right on page 5 of the warranty manual under the "maintence service expense" heading. If you all look it's right there in black and white.
i told her that i didn't agree with that.
said there was nothing she could do.
i said what can you do?
what do you mean sir?
I said you are about to lose a customer.
she said why?

well that's when I started spilling my guts and telling everything that ever pissed me off about nissan.

to make a long story short, she asked what she could do to keep me a customer.
I said get the rotors covered as a warranty expense.
she said she can't.

well she and i were both real nice and courteous and I didn't feel like just blasting her. i said well then you just lost a customer. i have owned 3 other nissans and its like pulling teeth with you all to get warranty issues resolved. I will not deal with it anymore.
she said she was sorry.
I said that its not your fault you have an employer that doesn't respect thier customers.

silence.

i thanked her and i believe tomorrow I will look for another car company. then hung up the phone.

My advice to you all, don't worry about the warranty on your car. go get that place racing CAI, supercharger, NOS, underdrive pulley, y pipe ... it aint a'gonna be covered so f*** it! i know the rotors will only cost me about $180.00 to be fixed, but its the principle of the matter. A $25k car should have the rotors go bad within the first 15k miles. Note to you all if your rotors are bad, and you have 11,999 miles you better have that sombithc towed into the dealarhip on a flat bed! Oh wait, earlier thread said the dealarship wouldn't warranty fix something because it was close to the expiration miles of 36k. Huh, at least I can say I'm not the only one who got screwed.

I can honestly say... "THIS WILL BE THE LAST NISSAN I EVER OWN!" I love the max and hate to see it go, but I can't give money to a car company that just f***ed me up the a**. Hell it would have been alright if they'd kissed me on the neck or had a little forplay but i guess the foreplay was all that other stuff to get that straw that just broke my back.

Sorry for the long post, but I had to vent and let all of you know the quality of the company we just paid $25,000+ to!

Good luck to you all if you ever have issues with nissan. take some lube with you!

later
Old 03-21-2001, 08:19 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by otter'sMAX

My advice to you all, don't worry about the warranty on your car. go get that place racing CAI, supercharger, NOS, underdrive pulley, y pipe ... it aint a'gonna be covered so f*** it
My thoughts exactly... the only thing I need from Nissan is the new shift solenoid (and newer TCM if possible), which is $400, and I don't want to pay out of my pockets. After that, I won't be going back to Nissan for service.

Blown tranny... Level 10
New brakes... 300 ZX brake conversion
Engine work... customize
Boost... Shhhhhh..... it's a secret.
Old 03-21-2001, 08:27 AM
Wustylez

Originally posted by otter'sMAX
Just got off the phone with nissan na. rep told me that the rotors are only covered till 12,000 miles. says it right on page 5 of the warranty manual under the "maintence service expense" heading. If you all look it's right there in black and white.
i told her that i didn't agree with that.
said there was nothing she could do.
i said what can you do?
what do you mean sir?
I said you are about to lose a customer.
she said why?

well that's when I started spilling my guts and telling everything that ever pissed me off about nissan.

to make a long story short, she asked what she could do to keep me a customer.
I said get the rotors covered as a warranty expense.
she said she can't.

well she and i were both real nice and courteous and I didn't feel like just blasting her. i said well then you just lost a customer. i have owned 3 other nissans and its like pulling teeth with you all to get warranty issues resolved. I will not deal with it anymore.
she said she was sorry.
I said that its not your fault you have an employer that doesn't respect thier customers.

silence.

i thanked her and i believe tomorrow I will look for another car company. then hung up the phone.

My advice to you all, don't worry about the warranty on your car. go get that place racing CAI, supercharger, NOS, underdrive pulley, y pipe ... it aint a'gonna be covered so f*** it! i know the rotors will only cost me about $180.00 to be fixed, but its the principle of the matter. A $25k car should have the rotors go bad within the first 15k miles. Note to you all if your rotors are bad, and you have 11,999 miles you better have that sombithc towed into the dealarhip on a flat bed! Oh wait, earlier thread said the dealarship wouldn't warranty fix something because it was close to the expiration miles of 36k. Huh, at least I can say I'm not the only one who got screwed.

I can honestly say... "THIS WILL BE THE LAST NISSAN I EVER OWN!" I love the max and hate to see it go, but I can't give money to a car company that just f***ed me up the a**. Hell it would have been alright if they'd kissed me on the neck or had a little forplay but i guess the foreplay was all that other stuff to get that straw that just broke my back.

Sorry for the long post, but I had to vent and let all of you know the quality of the company we just paid $25,000+ to!

Good luck to you all if you ever have issues with nissan. take some lube with you!

later
Are you sure it's just NISSAN????
I am pretty sure all other car manufacturer do that to their customers, the only difference is some other car manufacturer just happen to have better rotor than the maximas!!

Sorry to hear that, I can relate the same experience!!!

Tim

Old 03-21-2001, 09:40 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

while I agree

nissan service has been shockingly bad... Dont go running off to get a TL or Passat thinking all your problems will be history.

Rotors and trannys are problems for them too. Especially the TL. I was having a tire patched and asked like 10 times that they use a torque wrench on my lugs. the manager said "we always use a torq socket on maximas and TL's" He thought TL's were even a bit worse.

I think there service would be a bit better, but you could still have to pay in some instances.

anyway, I think the grass is alittle greener elsewhere, but only because the dealer service is there.
Old 03-21-2001, 09:54 AM

Re: while I agree

Ok, now I'm nervous. I just got my car. I have 7k miles on it and this is what I have to look forward too? I heard the Sentra has bigger rotors than the Max how's that even possible. Either ways I knor that someday I'm gonna have to change the rotos because they'll warp. When I do I'm gonna try slotted/drilles rotors, that should help. If not I'll have to upsize (like kev probably). I wonder if 3rd & 4th gens had this problem? I got rid of my last car cuz it was money pit. I bought this car for its performance and reliability. Maybe I should nix the latter.

Signed
One Very Worried Max Owner!
Old 03-21-2001, 10:04 AM

yes...

maximas have had this problem for a few years. I'm not sure if the rotors are faulty or the lugs are getting over torqued. I think the TSB was issued because many maxs left the factory with over torqued lugs. I know that seems crazy, but my AC was overcharged enough to fail, why not over tightened lugs too?

I've been very careful and always double checked after rotation or did it myself with a torque wrench.. I'm at 15K and no problems yet. And I have driving conditions that make it a high probabilty that mine would warp.

it could all be in the torque...
Old 03-21-2001, 10:39 AM
Adam01GXE

Re: yes...

i don't know much about 4th gen maxes, but when i traded in my 3rd gen it had a 122k+ miles on it. the rotors were fine, as far as i know and the transmission was just starting to slip every once in a while.

we all have to remember that when things are produced, there is a tolerance that the product can fall into, menaing not everything is perfect. it sucks but that's what we have to deal with as consumers.

i agree with you though otter, there should be a longer/better warranty to make up for the lack of perfection.

Old 03-21-2001, 01:30 PM

Re: while I agree

Originally posted by TimW
nissan service has been shockingly bad... Dont go running off to get a TL or Passat thinking all your problems will be history.

Rotors and trannys are problems for them too. Especially the TL. I was having a tire patched and asked like 10 times that they use a torque wrench on my lugs. the manager said "we always use a torq socket on maximas and TL's" He thought TL's were even a bit worse.

I think there service would be a bit better, but you could still have to pay in some instances.

anyway, I think the grass is alittle greener elsewhere, but only because the dealer service is there.
Sorry guys, my dealer here in Norfolk, VA has taken care of all the problems with the rotors and A/C and the trans. I had 14k+ plus miles on the car when I took it in for the rotors and they turned them. They are doing the same thing now and they told me they will replace them. It must be the dealer. If they take the extra steps like mine has, I'm sure you would go back. I know that service is very important to me and if I didn't get it, I'd go somewhere else to. Good luck !
Old 03-21-2001, 02:13 PM

Re: Re: while I agree

Originally posted by Paul Price

Sorry guys, my dealer here in Norfolk, VA has taken care of all the problems with the rotors and A/C and the trans. I had 14k+ plus miles on the car when I took it in for the rotors and they turned them. They are doing the same thing now and they told me they will replace them. It must be the dealer. If they take the extra steps like mine has, I'm sure you would go back. I know that service is very important to me and if I didn't get it, I'd go somewhere else to. Good luck !
Well it looks like I'll be driving to Norfolk. I called the other nissan dealarships around my area, and no luck. The closest one is about 75 miles (one way) from here but they said that they can't do anything for me. The next in line is about 150 (one way again) and I can't take the time to get up there to have them do anything. Looks like I'm just out of luck. New it would happen someday...just never on the day that I bought $10 worth of lotto tickets Guess I just need to throw those things out the window with my warranty. Just to let you all know, nissan may be happy that they got my money and screwed me, but stillen is too. Just ordered a y pipe and hks muffler, springs and tokicos. Figured may as well just have fun with her now. Place racing CAI is in the mail, and maybe some 19" wheels are in the future too.

Anyway, forget nissan and have fun with your ride. don't worry about a warranty issue, b/c its already not covered or way or the other.

Later
Old 03-21-2001, 02:28 PM

you know...

I bet you dollars to donuts that you were denied because your car isnt bone stock. Some dealers get all indignate just because you have wheels or tint. I think someone was saying a dealer saw the FSTB and said they must have been driving agressively to make the tranny slip. hmmmm...
Old 03-22-2001, 12:30 PM

thanks REDLINE

Well thanks to redline i have an appointment next week to have the rotors turned on the on car lathe. Thanks redline.

I took this to the dealarship and what did you know "well there it is in black and white...guess i'd better order you those parts"

Now I think I'm gonna call nissan na and b**** at them for awhile. I can't believe I even brought up the tsb to them and they still told me they weren't covered.
Old 03-22-2001, 12:50 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

I guess

some companies don't understand customer service. In that sector you have to use your brain. I would not have ever pissed off a customer over 180 bucks or so in the scheme of dollars spent on a car. But I guess I am old fashioned in that respect. She was just holding to the letter of the law and sometimes in customer service you have to bend the rules.
Old 03-22-2001, 05:25 PM

If it is under warranty, it should not matter how hard you dirve the car. I broke about 10 parts on my old pontiac firebird formula and i didn't ever have to tell them anything twice. THey happily repaired the car. I have to say that car was much less reliable but atleast that company takes care of their customers.
Old 03-22-2001, 07:15 PM

Well

let me tell you a little experience I've had with Nissan.....I have this noise.....naw forget it...you'd never believe me

I'm just tooling around until I can find another car......actually I'd probably entertain the thought of getting a 5 spd Max...what the hell am I saying?

Actually the car has been running pretty decent othet than sounding like a cricket in heat.

My rotors aren't warped(I dont think, I had a balance done around 3k so hopefully they retourqed them correctly)but I have noticed that the travel in the pedal is a lot deeper....anyone else notice this?
Old 03-23-2001, 08:32 AM

Re: Well

Originally posted by jnm2kse
let me tell you a little experience I've had with Nissan.....I have this noise.....naw forget it...you'd never believe me

I'm just tooling around until I can find another car......actually I'd probably entertain the thought of getting a 5 spd Max...what the hell am I saying?

Actually the car has been running pretty decent othet than sounding like a cricket in heat.

My rotors aren't warped(I dont think, I had a balance done around 3k so hopefully they retourqed them correctly)but I have noticed that the travel in the pedal is a lot deeper....anyone else notice this?
There is a TB on a clicking noise while the A/C is on. The A/C is used as well during cold season to remove humidity from the air to reduce fog up. Ask your dealer and the TB is listed somewhere on this site.

Good luck.... :ROLLSMILE
Old 03-23-2001, 02:11 PM

Re: Re: Well

There is a TB on a clicking noise while the A/C is on. The A/C is used as well during cold season to remove humidity from the air to reduce fog up. Ask your dealer and the TB is listed somewhere on this site.

Good luck.... :ROLLSMILE

Paul...I wish it was that simple...do a search for engine mounts...you'll see what I'm talking about......I'm used to some of the other quirks(not that I accept them on a car in this $$ range) but the mounts thing is what has really soured me on anything Nissan ever again
Old 03-23-2001, 02:34 PM

Re: Re: Re: Well

Originally posted by jnm2kse

Paul...I wish it was that simple...do a search for engine mounts...you'll see what I'm talking about......I'm used to some of the other quirks(not that I accept them on a car in this $$ range) but the mounts thing is what has really soured me on anything Nissan ever again
I must have missed something. What's this about engine mounts? Another thing wrong?

Paul
Old 03-23-2001, 07:58 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Well

I must have missed something. What's this about engine mounts? Another thing wrong?

Paul

Paul...do a search for engine mounts or just under my username....you will find the whole story there...these guys will shoot me if I start in again about it :wall;