5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Clutch installation - DIY job?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 06:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Clutch installation - DIY job?

For those of you who have replaced your own clutch, how tough of a job is it and is a lift required?

I'm thinking about doing it myself and using the savings to buy some air tools to help with the job.

All of the typical bolt ons I've done myself. Tune up is no big deal.

Any suggestions, pit falls?
Old 04-30-2004, 06:47 AM

I'm pondering this too. I hear air tools don't help that much, except maybe when removing the axle locknut. I have a garage at my house now, so I got the space to do it. I've never removed axles though... that's the only "tricky" part I can see. I think Dixit (BigDogJonx) recommended that you keep the clutch slave cylinder hooked up, and just remove it from the tranny, rather than disconnecting the hydraulic line, 'cause bleeding the clutch is supposedly tricky...
Old 04-30-2004, 07:00 AM

No lift, just a good jack. I have a 3.5 ton with a 5-6" surface pad thing a ma bob on it.

Air tools are also not necessary, a good jack will go alot farther than air tools.

It's really not that hard. The first time just takes a while because your keeping track of bolts and figuring it all out. By the 4th time people will wonder how you can possiably know exactly where each bolt goes and you just kind of laugh.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:14 AM

Sweet, sounds like fun. The flywheel is mounted to the crankshaft by a few bolts in the center, correct? How hard is it to remove the flywheel? (to have it resurfaced)
I'm assuming you always resurface the flywheel while changing a clutch... (does it require anything else special like balancing?)
Old 04-30-2004, 07:17 AM

Yeah, I've got a floor jack and stands. Also have the service manual (although that may not tell me much).

I'm looking for an excuse to buy some air tools. I can use the compressor for lots of things around the house. Plus, I've got to believe that it speeds up a job where lots of bolts are involved.

It's the little items like jonx's suggestion that are great. Any writeups around?

Also, how long did it take?
Old 04-30-2004, 12:59 PM
retired moderator

Good God MrGone....4th time!?!? BTW are you talking about a '92 Max or a 5th gen?
Old 04-30-2004, 02:28 PM

I didn't do the clutch on the 5th gen. I put the Fidanza/Exedy on my car (and love it ). I've also installed clutches for friends. I've done more than just maxipads, but I didnt think it mattered, lol.

If you want an excuse to buy air tools, then the pressure plate and flywheel bolts are it , but only take them off with the air gun, if you were using an aluminun flywheel, you are almost garunteed to rip the threads out of the flywheel (I've seen it happen, a friend was using my small 3/8" drive air gun on the lowest setting ). You can take the bolts off with out air tools, but it just goes a heck of a lot faster/easier with them. Plus lugs and the axle nut will be alot easier :-)

Yes, take the flywheel in to be resurfaced, but if at all possiable, get a fidanza, you wont be disappointed .

Small tricks that seem to help:
Just completely unbolt the tranny mounts. You can take the tranny out with them there, but it's just easier to take them out (much more room, or atleast on the 3rd gen anyway). Unbolt the slave cylinder, then you dont have to rebleed it. Just dont push on the clutch pedal until you have it bolted back up, otherwise its a PITA to get back in, lol. (just like brakes :-)). Dont thread the slave cylinder bolts back into the tranny all the way, they will hook on behind the flywheel and not let you pull the tranny out. If your going to put them back in the holes they came from, only thread them in half way or so. Use the jack just to help support the tranny, dont expect it to pull it for you :-)

When I did my car I did it all alone. just kind of held the tranny with my hands and operated the jack with my foot, laying down under the car next to the jack :-)

First few times around make sure you keep the tranny bolts in order. After that you just automatically know what bolt goes where just by looking at it, lol.
Old 05-01-2004, 12:38 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Doesn't sound bad on paper but does anyone have any pics or a total how to writen up? Thanks for any help.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:16 AM

Thanks for the info! That should help.

Anything else I should replace while doing this job for efficiency sake? i.e. cv boots etc.

Are there any gaskets/etc. that should be replaced?

Any particular lubricants needed? Any bolts that should be anti-seized or thread locked?

In other words, anything that I need to get before I get under the darn car and start taking things apart?