5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Is 300HP possible and reliable w/o NOS???

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 07:08 AM

I did not mean to turn this into a dyno war, I was just wondering what it would take to get 300hp at the crank or if it was even possible with the 3.5. I see now that it is possible and from what I have read these motors can handle about 550hp on the stock block, so that's all I needed to know, I figure with a few mods and a healthy shot of Nitrous, I'll be close to 400-450hp, so for a weekend play car, that's fine with me. It's my wife's car anyway, and she likes the gas mileage, so that's why we are going to just put the basic bolt ons on it and then add the Nitrous later.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:25 AM
Blu
the tits

Originally Posted by Rafe
How do you figure a Maxima mod for mod will beat a 300ZX TT. A stock 300ZX TT come with 300HP/289 TRQ. Our Maxima has 255Hp/240TRq. Do you realize when i had my TTZ just a JWdual pop intake, greddy exhaust, JW ecu, lighter flywheel , greddy dual blow off valves, blitz ilarge intercooler netted me shy over 400+HP/390+whp . And that wasn't even touching internals.
lets see the dynos....a stock 300zx is not as fast as you make it out to be. Maybe you forgot the weight difference.

For you to even get that much HP in a mAX you will have to have a supercharger or turbo w/ serious internals under your hood and it will cost you more than just 1800 to achieve it.
obviously you have no clue what you are talking about, but whats new from reading your other posts. Since when do you need internals to run a FI on a Maxima lol...again clueless. A turbo maxima with completely embarress a stock TT or even a similar modded one as you posted above. They are boats and aren't that fast stock.

The MAX can't hold a candle to a 300ZX tt stock or modded. Period.
Again completely retarded SR20DEN would destroy a stock TT 300zx and he has around $700 in performance mods and is all motor. 300zx's are overweight and overrated by people like yourself.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:54 AM

Whats the differential ratio on the 6spd? I beleive you have to multiply the final drives times the gear ratio to get the actual ratio motor to wheels. Or something like that.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:22 AM
Wat

But the final drives on each tranny are different. Thats how they maintain similar top speeds. We have sat there and tried this many times on a dyno. The top gears of each transmission top out within 1mph of another. The auto actually topping out higher.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:48 AM
VQ Wizard

How do you figure a Maxima mod for mod will beat a 300ZX TT. A stock 300ZX TT come with 300HP/289 TRQ. Our Maxima has 255Hp/240TRq. Do you realize when i had my TTZ just a JWdual pop intake, greddy exhaust, JW ecu, lighter flywheel , greddy dual blow off valves, blitz ilarge intercooler netted me shy over 400+HP/390+whp . And that wasn't even touching internals.

For you to even get that much HP in a mAX you will have to have a supercharger or turbo w/ serious internals under your hood and it will cost you more than just 1800 to achieve it.

Where did I say "mod for mod"? And saying modding the Maxima is a waste of money comapred to a 300ZX TT is a load of crap. Since when are those cars cheap to mod? You bring me ANY stock or slightly modded 300ZX TT and I will beat it at the track 95% of the time. Those cars are heavier and the VG30s make inherently less torque. I have ridden in my fair share of 300ZX TTs and I haven't been impressed with any stock ones.

You're also wrong about the internals. A stock VQ has enough internal strength to handle the previously mentioned 550whp. Anything at all beyond that will require only new pistons and rods.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:18 AM
Hooooooonda.....

Final gear on the 6spd is 3.812. Even if you multiply them they aren't the same.
E55 guy at least try to keep your story straight. First you said the ratios were the same and you proved that by racing. Then you said they are infact different with the AUTO trapping a bit higher. Which one is it then?
Old 07-27-2004, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by SR20DEN
Where did I say "mod for mod"? And saying modding the Maxima is a waste of money comapred to a 300ZX TT is a load of crap. Since when are those cars cheap to mod? You bring me ANY stock or slightly modded 300ZX TT and I will beat it at the track 95% of the time. Those cars are heavier and the VG30s make inherently less torque. I have ridden in my fair share of 300ZX TTs and I haven't been impressed with any stock ones.

You're also wrong about the internals. A stock VQ has enough internal strength to handle the previously mentioned 550whp. Anything at all beyond that will require only new pistons and rods.
I never said that the Max was a waiste of money to modify, that was the other guy.
TT are not cheap to modify, but it helps when you know people in the right places to afford perfromance parts for the TTZ. I know you would beat a stock or slightly modded TTZ, but anything over stage 3 on a TTZ , i seriously doubt it. The Vg30TT can also handle 500whp before replacing internals as well.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by blubyu2k2
lets see the dynos....a stock 300zx is not as fast as you make it out to be. Maybe you forgot the weight difference.

obviously you have no clue what you are talking about, but whats new from reading your other posts. Since when do you need internals to run a FI on a Maxima lol...again clueless. A turbo maxima with completely embarress a stock TT or even a similar modded one as you posted above. They are boats and aren't that fast stock.

Again completely retarded SR20DEN would destroy a stock TT 300zx and he has around $700 in performance mods and is all motor. 300zx's are overweight and overrated by people like yourself.

Aren't that fast stock? Get off the crack dude...... a stock TTZ puts out 0-60 times of 5 sec on a good day and a 5.5 on a bad day. Can your Maxima stock even pull a 5.5 on a good day? The TTZ would destroy a 350 Z on a bad day buddy. Lets look into the 1/4 mile runs, on a good day anywhere from mid to high 13's , on a bad day low 14's.And thats stock, can your car pull those numbers without the juice? Even with the weight that the TTZ has to carry, it will own you every which way but right!

Trust me i like Maximas alot but the TTZ can kick tail stock or modded. You need to do your home work before you start knocking other cars ,especially the TTZ.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:30 AM

Aren't that fast stock? Get off the crack dude...... a stock TTZ puts out 0-60 times of 5 sec on a good day and a 5.5 on a bad day. Can your Maxima stock even pull a 5.5 on a good day? The TTZ would destroy a 350 Z on a bad day buddy. Lets look into the 1/4 mile runs, on a good day anywhere from mid to high 13's , on a bad day low 14's.And thats stock, can your car pull those numbers without the juice? Even with the weight that the TTZ has to carry, it will own you every which way but right!

Trust me i like Maximas alot but the TTZ can kick tail stock or modded. You need to do your home work before you start knocking other cars ,especially the TTZ.

Here is a site for your leisure....http://www.300zx.cl/
Old 07-27-2004, 11:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by SR20DEN
With a small invenstment these cars will beat a 300ZX TT and be more reliable doing so. If you feel your car is a waste of money then perhaps you should get rid of it.
I love the car, but I not going to try to make it faster because it would cost a lot of money. It would cost more than a small investment to beat a Z...lol. I owned one for seven years. You put an exhuast, air intake and jim wolf chip , you go from 300hp to 396hp..cost you about $1,000 dollars. To put a thousand dollars into a maxima your not going to get anywhere nears the same HP increase. I'm just thinking realistically thats all..Going from a twin turbo Z to a maxima is a huge step down in HP and I kind of miss it...but I definitily love the max though..especially the more room, back seats and trunk...
Old 07-27-2004, 11:40 AM

Yeah, it (maxima) cant compare to a 300zx stock, but modded it will definatly match or beat it (dont know about from a stop, but highway it shold put up a good challenge). Mods for the vq are only starting to come out. With time it we will see.

Old 07-27-2004, 11:48 AM

Does it really matter now? I mean we see they are not the same, but they are very close to each other...

Originally Posted by DAVE Sz
Final gear on the 6spd is 3.812. Even if you multiply them they aren't the same.
E55 guy at least try to keep your story straight. First you said the ratios were the same and you proved that by racing. Then you said they are infact different with the AUTO trapping a bit higher. Which one is it then?
Old 07-27-2004, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Pearltt
Why even waste your money...buy a Twin Turbo Z or something. At least if you put money into those for HP, you get your money's worth. You have to put some big $$$ to get any descent HP out of these cars..Same goes for the 350Z...big $$$$
Stock TT runs low 14s, high 13s with good driver. Some of the stock maximas with the 3.5 have ran ~14.1 or so, so its not a waste of money.....
Old 07-27-2004, 11:50 AM

Well, the trust me, once SSR comes out with the turbo kit for the maxima, well be able to push out more than the 500hp.

I never said that the Max was a waiste of money to modify, that was the other guy.
TT are not cheap to modify, but it helps when you know people in the right places to afford perfromance parts for the TTZ. I know you would beat a stock or slightly modded TTZ, but anything over stage 3 on a TTZ , i seriously doubt it. The Vg30TT can also handle 500whp before replacing internals as well.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:54 AM

Bro what are you talking about...your freaken funny...Have you even driven a Z or even been a passanger. My point was cheapness in hooking up the car.. If i had a twin turbo Z and we were both given $1500 to hook up our rides(bolt on stuff) who do you think would end up with more HP...thats all I'm saying...what kind of HP could you get for a $1500 for a max without ripping out the engine. The stock 255hp on the max is fine with me. I made that decision the day i bought it
Old 07-27-2004, 11:58 AM

But this whole argument kind of doesnt make sense, each of these cars have a different purpose. Your car was specifically built for speed and is running a 0-60 with 2 turbos. 2. Our cars are N/A. Comfortable, and roomy. Your car was already modded with a turbo when you bought it thats why you dont need to replace internals until you hit a certain HP amount.. Our cars werent. So theres a lot of things to look at from both sides.. but you 300zx guys have had a lot of time to get mods for you cars, but not us.. give us a few years and youll see how much power we can pump out of our 3.5.

Old 07-27-2004, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jimmy Gardner
I did not mean to turn this into a dyno war, I was just wondering what it would take to get 300hp at the crank or if it was even possible with the 3.5.
BOOST will get you there.

The engines are strong and can handle a lot of abuse (mine at least has).The weak link, that many of the boosted 350z people are finding out, are the rods. Mine have held strong (knock on wood), even when pushing 11.5 pounds of boost.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:01 PM

Bro what are you talking about...your freaken funny...Have you even driven a Z or even been a passanger. My point was cheapness in hooking up the car.. If i had a twin turbo Z and we were both given $1500 to hook up our rides(bolt on stuff) who do you think would end up with more HP...thats all I'm saying...what kind of HP could you get for a $1500 for a max without ripping out the engine. The stock 255hp on the max is fine with me. I made that decision the day i bought it
There are auto 2k2 maximas stock running what a stock TT manual can run, try again.....
Old 07-27-2004, 12:04 PM

Just curious...does anyone know how much a full turbo kit would cost for the maxima...I'm thinking big bucks????
Old 07-27-2004, 12:05 PM

Just curious...does anyone know how much a full turbo kit would cost for the maxima...I'm thinking big bucks????
Yes it is big $$$, but there are is an all motor 3.5 with $700 worth of mods running 13.1 @ 107, so to get a TT to that isn't much cheaper.... You were saying?
Old 07-27-2004, 12:06 PM

Blubyu2k2 may be on crack, but some of you peopel are high. He said if its a turbo maxima versus a turbo 300zx. Now they playing field is even, turbo versus turbo... Chances are, with even 1500 buck like pearltt was saying, we coud still have more hp in a maxima compared to a 300zx. Think about it, a 300zx is at 300hp, and a maxima is already at 255hp. Turbo the maxima up and well have around (im gonna pull this out of my a$$) 350-400 or more (cant remember what ssr said about how much hp well gain). Now lets see what happens if we drop in the $1500.

Old 07-27-2004, 12:07 PM

Around $4500
Old 07-27-2004, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Cutlr7
There are auto 2k2 maximas stock running what a stock TT manual can run, try again.....

Ok..stock maxima 255hp stock TT Z 300hp.......uuuuhhhhh...ok..your right...maybe your thinking of the NA Z which is 240 or something...your killen me!!!!
Old 07-27-2004, 12:08 PM

Well any turbo kit for any car will cost big bucks.. i think itll be around 4.5-5 grand.

Old 07-27-2004, 12:10 PM
VQ Wizard

I know, I was including another response to him in my rant to you.

TT are not cheap to modify, but it helps when you know people in the right places to afford perfromance parts for the TTZ. I know you would beat a stock or slightly modded TTZ,

but anything over stage 3 on a TTZ , i seriously doubt it.
In NA form you're correct, I would have to have FI as well and at the cost of a normaly priced stage 3 for a TT I could equal or surpass the same power levels.
The Vg30TT can also handle 500whp before replacing internals as well.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:11 PM

Ok..stock maxima 255hp stock TT Z 300hp.......uuuuhhhhh...ok..your right...maybe your thinking of the NA Z which is 240 or something...your killen me!!!!
yes, power to weight ratio. TTs are piggys, don't even start. I know what they can do, my buddy had one that ran 12s on street tires so don't start. There are at least 4 manual maximas on this board that run right at 14.1 and trap almost 100 in the 1/4. Don't bring a NA Z into this, my SER can ***** slap those all day
Old 07-27-2004, 12:14 PM

Cutlr7, i think you accidentially said auto maximas run what 300zxtt run....

yes, power to weight ratio. TTs are piggys, don't even start. I know what they can do, my buddy had one that ran 12s on street tires so don't start. There are at least 4 manual maximas on this board that run right at 14.1 and trap almost 100 in the 1/4. Don't bring a NA Z into this, my SER can ***** slap those all day
Old 07-27-2004, 12:15 PM
Blu
the tits

Aren't that fast stock? Get off the crack dude...... a stock TTZ puts out 0-60 times of 5 sec on a good day and a 5.5 on a bad day.
wow really cool where did you get the numbers? Thats right either a magazine or your ***/g-tech.

Can your Maxima stock even pull a 5.5 on a good day? The TTZ would destroy a 350 Z on a bad day buddy. Lets look into the 1/4 mile runs, on a good day anywhere from mid to high 13's , on a bad day low 14's.And thats stock, can your car pull those numbers without the juice? Even with the weight that the TTZ has to carry, it will own you every which way but right!
lets see a stock all motor auto Maxima vs a TT 300zx manual no I would lose stock. There are a few 350z's running 13.5-13.6 stock check around big dog. Yes my automatic can run with a stock 300zx tt and will more than likely beat a stock 300zx TT at the track. I have headers, b pipe, UDP and have ran repeated 13.6's @ 101. Thats right my auto Maxima...next time do a little research moron. A stock 300zx will not own me anywhere but a road coarse.

you need to do your homework before you try and knock anything Mr. I can change maxima cams in 45 mins....or my SES light came on and "Autozone" told me it was a too much air code . Or hell maybe man Quicksilver was right manually shifting my automatic makes me sooper dooper fast. You sir are the idiot. I never said a 300zx tt didnt have potential, I just said they arent nothing to blow your load over stock. A TT car running mid to high 13's isn't very impressive in my book.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Oxidizer2k
I said close to, .2-.3 sec isn't much of a difference
Old 07-27-2004, 12:19 PM
Blu
the tits

Yes I have I almost bought one but insurance was too high for my age at the time. Once again I will say this I never once doubted the 300zx tt and its potential modded, I just said its not at all impressive for what yall make it out to be stock. All the other jibberish you are talking is common sense.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:20 PM

OH BTW, here is for all us maxima supporters.. According to car-stats.com there are no 300zxtt that can run 0-60 in 5 seconds. There was one lucky stat that said 5.2, but all the others are like 5.5 5.8, and 6. So I dont understand why you would think this car is so great when its running that slow.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:21 PM

my bad.. I was skimming through the thread.

I said close to, .2-.3 sec isn't much of a difference
Old 07-27-2004, 12:22 PM
Blu
the tits

actually I run faster than a 300zx tt STOCK!
Old 07-27-2004, 12:22 PM

OH BTW, here is for all us maxima supporters.. According to car-stats.com there are no 300zxtt that can run 0-60 in 5 seconds. There was one lucky stat that said 5.2, but all the others are like 5.5 5.8, and 6. So I dont understand why you would think this car is so great when its running that slow.

I think its 5.1 or 5.2 i forget....what do our Max's run at
Old 07-27-2004, 12:24 PM

LOL, thats some funny ****.. "too much cold air" Calm down man, you are having too much fun. I h ave yet to see a stat of a 300zx run mid 13. All of them are high 13s.

you need to do your homework before you try and knock anything Mr. I can change maxima cams in 45 mins....or my SES light came on and "Autozone" told me it was a too much air code . Or hell maybe man Quicksilver was right manually shifting my automatic makes me sooper dooper fast. You sir are the idiot. I never said a 300zx tt didnt have potential, I just said they arent nothing to blow your load over stock. A TT car running mid to high 13's isn't very impressive in my book.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:26 PM

LOL, thats some funny ****.. "too much cold air" Calm down man, you are having too much fun. I h ave yet to see a stat of a 300zx run mid 13. All of them are high 13s.
Since PearlTT is so hell bent on this, if you look in car and driver I think the best they got was 14.0 or so at 99mph.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:27 PM

Hell I know YOU do.. But I think he said "There are auto 2k2 maximas stock running what a stock TT manual can run, try again....." I thought he accidentially said auto. I didnt know auto maximas were getting low 14s stock.

actually I run faster than a 300zx tt STOCK!
Old 07-27-2004, 12:28 PM
Horra!!

Originally Posted by pimpjuice
BOOST will get you there.

The engines are strong and can handle a lot of abuse (mine at least has).The weak link, that many of the boosted 350z people are finding out, are the rods. Mine have held strong (knock on wood), even when pushing 11.5 pounds of boost.
I didn't know the vq35 had rods....
I'm glad we can have these type of discussions in the 5th gen section again.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:29 PM

it was 5.2.. But that seems to be a fluke for some reason because all the other 0-60 stats are slower.. But im not sure. Out maxes are pretty quick for a 4 door and front wheel drive.. I think 0-60 for manual in 6 seconds.. and 6.3-6.5 for auto.. im not sure about the auto though, most of the stats i see are for the manual.

I think its 5.1 or 5.2 i forget....what do our Max's run at
Old 07-27-2004, 12:33 PM

Just food for thought,

Currently the record (or at least that I'm aware of) for HP on a Z32 is about ~800RWHP on the Dyno. Its owned by Z1 Motorsports.

Fully built motor, costs maybe about the price of a new Maxima.

I would love to see the day any Maxima pushes over the 500HP dyno marker and runs reliably.

Quick Reply: Is 300HP possible and reliable w/o NOS???