5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2kmax OVERSTREEEER???

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 12:52 PM

2kmax OVERSTREEEER???

hey guys.

man i love my max but i just wrecked it yesterday. Im sure u guys are thinking im sum stupid kid that cant drive. I been driving for 2 years now (i know its not a lot comapred to all of you) but i dont have ne speeding tickets or caused any accidents. I dont go steet race my max either. I bought my 2k max se on my own. I wasnt lucky like other kids are when momy and daddyy buy it for them. well heres my story

i was comming home from work and there is a s curve. Where 2 streets meet. a suv was pretty close to me and the light was turnin red. I didnt want to get rear ended even tho its not my fault. I was rear ended about 6 months ago and i have to file a lawsuit to get my med bills paid and some compensation. i didnt want to go thought with that again. As the light turned yellow i stepped on the gas. I dont remember if iwas in second or third. I could have been on the way to third cuz i shift to third at about 25-30 but i might have held it cuz of the light. The turn is about a 30 mph area. i was doing around 40 sutmhin i dont remember. Going left. The turn wasnt that sharp. cumming around many things happenend at once so im not sure exactly what when down. im pretty sure i hit the brakes after to slow down but i didnt slam on them and the car started to fish tail. It might have been startin to slide already then i hit the brakes or maybe me hittin the brakes caused it. i letoff the brakes or gas, i wasnt on ne thing, i tryed to correct the car and turned right and i couldnt stop the fishtail. I wasnt tryin to pulll sum drifting crap either. and next thing i know i hit the curb and hit a tree. made my car spin around after. air bags didnt come out. i guess thats a good thing??? but my uncle came he said he could smell the tranny fluid and feel the stickynees. it was leakin a buch of stuff. hood was gone. he said the axle might be broken. He couldnt take a look under the hood.

any one got any ideas one what happened? does the maxes rear end slide out like that? does this front wheel drive car get over steer? how did i get over steer and not under steer? Do any of u guys remember that maxima commerical back in late 99 when it was drifting in the dirt. was it sliding? does it do this? if any1 can help me or anything please let me know. Im just trippen at lot that this happened and it happend to me =\. thanks again.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

sorry to hear about your incident.

was the road wet?

what tire are you using? is it the stock Bridgestone Potenza?
Old 08-05-2004, 02:52 PM

Well it's time to move on....it will never be the same....it bled to death...
Old 08-05-2004, 02:58 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

It's called lift throttle oversteer, and yes front wheel drive cars do it. When you go into a corner a little hot, and back off, it plants the fronts and lightens the *** end. Being that you were in the midst of a turn, the tail steps out. It is usually fairly easily corrected in tail draggers by turning into the slide and applying throttle.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:13 PM
retired moderator

I agree with 91 EX-R.....with experience you can easily kick the tail back in with a FWD car, but it's not a "natural" reaction to do it necessarily......In the winter go out to a snowy lot an practice it.....

Also has alot to do with the tires...

that said, I drive HARD and have never kicked the tail out on the maxima, even in the rain......but again, it's a matter of experience - I have alot more than you .

Sorry to hear about the accident though....
Old 08-05-2004, 03:39 PM

do you have RSB ?

yes it very easy to swing the rear end out.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:53 PM

The road wasnt wet. I just bought the car about 2 months ago. It has pretty new fronts. but the rears were almost to the tread mark in the middle. they had good 6 months left atleast. The rears were still from factory and fronts were new from costco. They should have been the normal what is it? 205 sumthin 17 sumthing z rated tires.

i was actually going to pick up a rbs next week. I was told that the max when ur on a turn and theres a little bump the rear is kinda loose. and i was told that the rsb makes it more sturdy and handle atleast 2 times better. so i was gettin that soon.

they said the cars isnt going to be the same again =( that was my baby. maxima are the ****. my insurance is going to suck. i guess ill have to go back to a mid 90's honda for a bit unitll i can afford my 2k2 max. *sigh*
Old 08-05-2004, 04:05 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Fix it and sell it. Buy another Maxima 02-03. Good Luck
Old 08-05-2004, 04:08 PM

Sux man. I sorry that this happened to you.

I can make the rear end come around on dirt roads, but have never had a problem on the street.

Good luck finding a new max!
Old 08-05-2004, 04:15 PM

[maxi-overdose] i see that ur from sanjose thats next to me. Do u know where fairoaks and wolf come together. Comming from 280 toawrds 101. sigh. you can see my cars battle scare on the tree right there in the center across from the park.

well i got full coverage insurance. so it will either be repaird or totaled. so i will get money.My dad might kick me off because his rates will go up. I dont know if ill be able to afford a insurace on a max. The thing that sucks is that i wont be 18 untill october. is it possilbe to get insure on ur own when ur under 18? My max had about 70k on it. i got a deal and paid 10.7k. it was almost flawless. 2-3 scratches from being parked in asian markets. had everything but automatic climate control and leather. Clean title. i wonder how much i can get for it. any ideas? i still owe a family member about 1500 that i borrowed to buy the car. maybe ill be really lucky and find a really cheap 02 and sell mine for a decent price so i can afford it. beats me. when i go see my car in the tow yard or the shop im going to bust out in tears.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:26 PM

Had a very similar incident the second night I had my max. I was a bit heavier on the throttle than I would have been in my s-10 and I realized there was some condensation on the road ahead so I let off the gas and the *** lifted and kicked out. I luckely countersteered and go back on the gas to correct. (NOTICE...BUFFALO, NY) Sorry to hear, hope all works out well! the RBS is a huge help!

Dan
Old 08-05-2004, 04:50 PM

Owww, that sucks... sorry to hear it... good thing you're OK.

Your rear tires were worn-out Bridgestone Potenzas (225/50-17), so it's not too surprising, especially considering your fronts were new. Potenzas royally SUCK to begin with; having them worn-out is only worse... and the handling bias was definitely towards front-end traction, so your rear end was left high and dry. That's why I prefer replacing all 4 tires at once... I don't do that "only the fronts this time" crap. I know it's hard sometimes when you're tight on funds though...
So to put it in summary, no, the Maxima shouldn't gratuitously kick out its rear end like that, but under the tire configuration you were running... it was more or less asking for it.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:07 PM

thanks for all of your help everyone. for all the help you have giving me, have gave me and any more help/ advice that is still to come. you guys are great. i hope one day when im more experienced i can also help sume new maxima lover out with their problems too.

My dad just got home. he said that since the air bags didnt come out the car will probly be saved. if its totalled. i cant get another max.( i cant handle the power) if it saved then id sell it.i wouldnt be able to get in it again and/or its not going to drive the same. I guess ill just have to start over again and save up and once i can afford a 2k2 ill get it. hopefully in a year time. but i might be screwed. they said that even tho i didnt get cited or anything that im going to get 2 points on my record. ouch.

thanks again guys.

i love maxima.org

if any1 else has any additonal comments or anything else to say to me. please post. thanks thanks thanks =) have a good day
Old 08-05-2004, 09:58 PM

Sorry to hear about the accident but it's definitely your tire setup that caused the lost of control. My mom had 2 different kind of tires on her camry. Some dumbass mechanic sold her some new tires that were different from the rear tires and just stuck it in the front. After that, my mom got into three accidents where her car just lost control and kept spinning. Luckily she didnt get hurt. She just thought the car had bad luck(shes chinese). Then i read many articles on how different tires can cause the car to spin violently in an emergency situation. Now i am certain that the culprit is the tires.

Right now i am running a set of four continental contactextremes and they have been great to me throughout the seasons.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:22 PM

the kinda funny part, or is it ironic. when i got the car the fronts were new andthe backs were gettin bald. and my front tires poped. im gettin the new ones replaced. still gotta replace the back. i wonder if i can to the shope and ask them to change the back to or sumthin. maybe they were damaged and need to be replaced too...
Old 08-06-2004, 05:26 AM

rsb would have help if u had it... all i can say to you is THank God you were able to walk away from the crash.....