5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Dealing with Dealerships for warranty service, any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 05:14 PM

Dealing with Dealerships for warranty service, any advice?

Hey guys, this is my first real car and is under warranty, I already have a few issues I need to deal with (cold air coming from my door handle, steering being off center when trying to drive straight, and pulling to the right) I am also considering the rear window wind noise issue being addressed as I think i may have it. Anyway, my question is what is the best way to deal with these guys(Nissan dealers) to get work done on the car? Any tips or suggestions, as I know dealerships are not typicaly keen on doing warranty work. Thanx
Old 01-05-2005, 05:24 PM

dealer service

Not every dealer is out to screw you. You have to shop around and it may cost you a bit until you find someone who you trust. I would check the geographical forums and see if anyone recommends a dealer in your area.

My experience is having the TSB's helps a lot though. This way its not simply a case of you imagining something.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:05 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

i get the same cold draft from my driver door handle. it has to be below around 40 and my hand has to be up to it but its there. ive had alot of things done under warranty with a dealer that i have a good relationship with but i think they would tell me to get bent if i asked about that. as far as the steering being off, it most likely needs an alignment and is not a warranty issue unless they performed the previous alignment very recently.
the wind noise is a valid complaint and one that i had addressed myself. i would print off the tsb for the 2k/2k1 and explain that your 2k3 has the body and is experiencing the noise. the tabs should fit no problem. dealers will get paid for warranty but some consider tsb just a guideline instead of a basis for an issue.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:40 PM
louisvuitton500

Originally Posted by Blaharo
Hey guys, this is my first real car and is under warranty, I already have a few issues I need to deal with (cold air coming from my door handle, steering being off center when trying to drive straight, and pulling to the right) I am also considering the rear window wind noise issue being addressed as I think i may have it. Anyway, my question is what is the best way to deal with these guys(Nissan dealers) to get work done on the car? Any tips or suggestions, as I know dealerships are not typicaly keen on doing warranty work. Thanx
I hope u know that all roads are not level. Leaning to the right is normal because most roads are made to lean to the right probaly because of rain. The best way to get the dealer to fix it is.....bring a fine looking girl in there and talk to one of them ppl

Old 01-06-2005, 07:52 AM

NNA Tops my ALLTIME worst for C/s

My dealer sidestepped me on the Brake Rotor TSB, since I have almost 30k miles on the vehicle, but am still within 3yr/36k factory warranty.

I went to NNA, and let me tell you -- nearly TWO full months later, I have YET to receive a response of ANY sort addressing the issue.
I have made almost ten calls to c/s, and have had the claim "escalated", with still no response. The only response I get, is no response.
All I REALLY want is a yes or no.

Getting no satisfaction from NNA, I called the dealer and threatened to give them a bad review on the Nissan Customer Survey (this is a big deal to them) and got a phone call from the regional service manager from NNA within 15 minutes.
It's been a week since he promised me a 72 hour response -- still waiting.

My advice: go through the dealer FIRST, and try to get them to work with you. Again, the MAJOR recourse you have is to threaten (last resort only) to give the dealer a bad rating on the Nissan Questionniare. This is a MAJOR part of their service department's standing with NNA.

Honestly - I have NEVER EVER had such WORTHLESS and NEGLIGIBLE C/S from a major corporation such as I have this past month with Nissan. I can ONLY assume that 1) they don't care 2) don't want my business EVER again 3) have SO many claims pending on warranty work, that they can't handle the volume.
All of which are unacceptable to me. Aside from my home -- this is the largest purchase I've made in the past five years, and I expect a little bit more from Nissan.

I don't REALLY even expect to get the brakes even lathed for my troubles since I'm almost to 30k miles, but at this point -- it's the PRINCIPAL of the matter. What if it had been something like my engine or transmission????

I feel pretty confident in saying that after this experience, this is going to be my LAST Nissan product.
If anything, I will graduate to an entry-level luxury car such as infinity or lexus for the customer service, loaner cars, and warranty alone.

good luck.

gr
Old 01-06-2005, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider17
My dealer sidestepped me on the Brake Rotor TSB, since I have almost 30k miles on the vehicle, but am still within 3yr/36k factory warranty.

I went to NNA, and let me tell you -- nearly TWO full months later, I have YET to receive a response of ANY sort addressing the issue.
I have made almost ten calls to c/s, and have had the claim "escalated", with still no response. The only response I get, is no response.
All I REALLY want is a yes or no.

Getting no satisfaction from NNA, I called the dealer and threatened to give them a bad review on the Nissan Customer Survey (this is a big deal to them) and got a phone call from the regional service manager from NNA within 15 minutes.
It's been a week since he promised me a 72 hour response -- still waiting.

My advice: go through the dealer FIRST, and try to get them to work with you. Again, the MAJOR recourse you have is to threaten (last resort only) to give the dealer a bad rating on the Nissan Questionniare. This is a MAJOR part of their service department's standing with NNA.

Honestly - I have NEVER EVER had such WORTHLESS and NEGLIGIBLE C/S from a major corporation such as I have this past month with Nissan. I can ONLY assume that 1) they don't care 2) don't want my business EVER again 3) have SO many claims pending on warranty work, that they can't handle the volume.
All of which are unacceptable to me. Aside from my home -- this is the largest purchase I've made in the past five years, and I expect a little bit more from Nissan.

I don't REALLY even expect to get the brakes even lathed for my troubles since I'm almost to 30k miles, but at this point -- it's the PRINCIPAL of the matter. What if it had been something like my engine or transmission????

I feel pretty confident in saying that after this experience, this is going to be my LAST Nissan product.
If anything, I will graduate to an entry-level luxury car such as infinity or lexus for the customer service, loaner cars, and warranty alone.

good luck.

gr
Yeap. I too got the shaft from both my stealer and NNA on the rotor TSB at 15K miles. NNA made me jump through hoops (I had to even give them photocopies of my license, registration and credit card receipt) for the rep to just leave me a voice mail six months later (she didn't even have the courtesy of speaking with me) telling me that they had "determined" that I abused my brakes. I guess Nissan brakes must not be used for emergency braking whatsoever...

I got my "revenge" by having them redo the brake job under warranty just under 36K, even if it didn't really need it.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:16 AM
CAN YOU PUT IT ON THE WALL?

my dealerships service writers have all told me that because i didn't come in with a chip on my shoulder and was pleasant, that they would bend over backwards to keep me happy...if you are a jerk when you come in and complain about how your car shouldn't be like this or you're in a pissy mood with them cause your irritated about a ses light or its your third time to the dealer for another issue...they are mearly the messangers...if you treat them well, you will get somewhere. try to make friends with them, and it will go a long way to helping you when you have a questionable item...also, write a compliment about the ppl you dealt with on the comment card...that gets them recognition for a good job and its a big deal to them. taking the service writer and tech out for lunch at mcdonalds doesn't hurt either...its only a few bucks out of your pocket and its great good will. i got a new tranny and a ton of service work at a great deal cause i was NICE. who said nice guys finish last?
Old 01-06-2005, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by CCS2k1Max
Yeap. I too got the shaft from both my stealer and NNA on the rotor TSB at 15K miles. NNA made me jump through hoops (I had to even give them photocopies of my license, registration and credit card receipt) for the rep to just leave me a voice mail six months later (she didn't even have the courtesy of speaking with me) telling me that they had "determined" that I abused my brakes. I guess Nissan brakes must not be used for emergency braking whatsoever...

I got my "revenge" by having them redo the brake job under warranty just under 36K, even if it didn't really need it.

Actually - I wasn't even going to bother with the TSB, since they only "turn" the stock rotors and nothing else. Most people say the judder returns in under 5k mi anyway - so what's the point, really??
I'm just SO MAD at the lack of response I've rec'd at this point, that I'm not going to let it go without a fight.
Honestly, I've been shopping for aftermarket rotors for months - i just haven't seen any definitive proof that one brand is better than another to thwart the dreaded warping issues of our brakes.
I'm convinced that it's the undersized calipers/pads in the stock setup - but I can't afford to buy a BBK system to counter that problem.
I'm inclined to buy the FROZEN ROTORS at this point and MAYBE stock pads, and be done with it.

gr
Old 01-06-2005, 08:33 AM

NNA's C/S attitude is let time pass and it will go away... I'm still pissed, and it's been a couple of years. I had them do the TSB to get back at them (and I added SHIFT_Customer Satisfaction to my sig). When the time comes, my setup will be Hawk pads and probably Powerslot rotors. I'm not too convinced myself on drilled rotors.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:23 AM

I was wandering if Nissan did a recall on the 5th Gens concerning that wind noise problem. I have also experienced that wind noise coming from the rear windows whenever I drive on the highway. I have seen one solution for this noise problem on housecor's website. I think I might give it a shot.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:25 AM

Again, is the wind noise a safety issue? There is a wind noise TSB. Look here http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/
Old 01-06-2005, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Redstone
I was wandering if Nissan did a recall on the 5th Gens concerning that wind noise problem. I have also experienced that wind noise coming from the rear windows whenever I drive on the highway. I have seen one solution for this noise problem on housecor's website. I think I might give it a shot.
Yes.
Check the TSB's in the sticky's.

gr