5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

FIRST LOOK! SSR/SFR Turbo Kit for 5th Gen

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 11:39 PM
Still Here... IM me for more..

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
Stillen SCs eat their belts quite alot, how many threads have I seen in years bout a belt being shreaded etc. Stillen SC is a good product but it doesn't have the midrange punch of the turbo kit, nor will it ever make the TQ that a good turbo kit will.

Car should run 11s without a doubt, with traction at around 125-130MPH.
True... I had the belt shred on my 2000 Maxima... what a pain in the ****... still, with the Steallin kit, I put down 300.6 hp at the wheel hubs... of course, my 2002 dynoed at 242hp at the wheels - naturally aspirated... I can only imagine how sick it's gonna be now... I can't wait to get it back!!

Roy is that a GT35R in the picture ?
It's a T04E - and I do believe it's a V-Band Garrett... but the A/R and turbine specs I don't know... I'm just learning about turbos... coming from the SC'd 2K you know...lol
Old 02-13-2005, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by maximized2
Mike I agree that is where they had most of the problems in the ecu, the technology is there now but this is a first am I correct??
It's not the first VQ35 that they've done... they did the Alty and still do a bunch of 350Z's and G35's...

All pretty similar to the Max...
Old 02-13-2005, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by KLOOGY
Nice Roy.......Time for me to get my Blowzilla, so I can catch up to you........All you people are belong to So Cal !!...
Lol... thanks Gio!
Old 02-13-2005, 11:48 PM

Existing turbo kits that are out for 5th gens are POS kits, every single one of them has something wrong in its design- I dont like how the upper radiator hose touches the downpipe, no turbo kit out there designed specifically for the 5th or 5.5 Gen. Most of these kits are home brewed kits that sacrifice alot of quality for power. Unlike the SC from Stillen, which can be installed in a few hours, these turbo kits require ALOT of customizing to make it fit.
True... initially, I was planning on buying Pimpjuice's kit... His is probably the first TC'd 5.5 gen and if not the first, one of the first... but his kit only put out about 270ish hp at the wheels - and I already put out 242 at the wheel NA!

I decided to go with SSR/SFR after Tony and I spent a couple hours hanging out with Tim at SFR, bullsh!tting around and talking about the plans for the Maxima. He also showed us the cars in the shop that he was working on and pics of cars he's done that have ended up in magazines.

Believe me, Tim knows his ****!! He also believes in being on the safe side, instead of pushing it to the breaking point - hence the low 6-6.5lbs of boost I'll be running...
Old 02-13-2005, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by KLOOGY
I hope you guys don't think this is a " projector lights " install....Like was just said, this will require some serious time to install. Roy has the benefit of having an awesome mechanic, as a friend, therefore, he will get any help he needs. This is not for everyone. I would dare to say it's not for 95% of you.
Lol... very true... As I just mentioned above, I took Tony with me to check out the shop at SFR and to talk to Tim...

If Tony had said that Tim was shady, didn't know what he was doing/talking about, etc., it would have been a different story.

But both Tony and I liked Tim and liked the work that he's done on other cars so we went for it... of course Tony has already said that he'll be going over the car with a fine tooth comb once it's done, to make sure it's up to his standards...

Anyone else in the LA area can have him work on their cars too, he doesn't just work on my car...

Also Gio, I'm sure he'd love to get his hands on your 'Stang...
Old 02-13-2005, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Cavez
just a question...but how much does forced induction hurt the durability of our engines? like will it run harder and die sooner?
That's a tough question... I think it boils down to how well you take care of your car, how hard you drive it, how often you drive it hard, the quality of the work, the state of tune the car is in, etc...

Basically, I think of it this way... the VQ35 in my car, if I left it un-modded, would probably last 300,000+ miles....

Maybe with the turbocharger, it will only last 250,000+ miles.... not that big of a deal in the big picture... and since I have less than 20,000 miles now, I'll probably end up getting rid of the car before the engine goes bad...
Old 02-14-2005, 01:06 AM

so wait, is this going to be a Twin-Turbo kit or a Single turbo kit drawing exhaust gasses only from one header? To my understanding it is not that great to only use one bank of an engine to drive a turbine... but from the picture above i do not see any other pipes coming into a turbo. Unless there is another turbo hiding behind that oilpan, i think that this setup will be a little tricky...no?
Old 02-14-2005, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by FriscoMaxima
so wait, is this going to be a Twin-Turbo kit or a Single turbo kit drawing exhaust gasses only from one header? To my understanding it is not that great to only use one bank of an engine to drive a turbine... but from the picture above i do not see any other pipes coming into a turbo. Unless there is another turbo hiding behind that oilpan, i think that this setup will be a little tricky...no?
No. This is a single turbo using both exhaust banks.... that's why there's a picture that shows the crosspipe that merges the 2 headers into one before going into the turbo...
Old 02-14-2005, 05:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by HNDA ETR
Most Def!!

We'll be blowing to atmosphere.... no recirculating here... I told Tim to put the MAF on the charge pipe so we could vent to atmosphere... just hope the MAF holds up

Yeah... that is one concern of mine. If the MAF can not handle an intake, and it just blows because of that, then what will happen when this isinstalled? we will have to have box of MAF in the trunk just incase one blows...
Old 02-14-2005, 08:24 AM

I've got a set of Cattman headers I'll be selling...
Hmmm...
Old 02-14-2005, 08:34 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

I should be able to beat a C6 Vette... (maybe not the Z06 though )

Took one off the line, before I dropped the car off in Dec, Had him through 3rd gear... of course, once he hit 3rd, he blew past me... Gave me the thumbs up at the next light though...

Beating 12.5 @ 115 (1/4 mile time) with a FWD car and street tires would be a tough chore (although you probably have the power to do it...it's traction I'd be worried about).
Old 02-14-2005, 08:41 AM

whats SSR's website? i know i have been on it before, at least i think, but me and google cant find it now...
Old 02-14-2005, 09:26 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Finally, here's the good stuff!

Pic of the turbo (T04E) - as you can see, the turbo is mounted to the case of the transmission:

Last pic of the turbo - Look at that thing! A thing of beauty!
While the worksmanship looks suberb, I question the location of this turbo. Maybe it's the angle of the camera, but it sure appears to me that the turbo is hanging lower than the tranny case. While I don't have much experience with 5th gens, I know that with H&Rs, my ground clearance between the lowest point of the tranny case was around 6" and that the crossmember was around 5" on my 96 Maxima. By looking at this pic, the turbo seems to hang an inch or two below the tranny case and that's without the feed line attached which could make for even less ground clearance. I could only assume that the 5th gen has the same type of clearance as my 4th gen did. Also, most guys want springs lower than H&Rs so chances are they have less clearance than I did.

Assuming what I'm seeing is correct, there are the two major issues I see with this turbo location:

1) With the location of the turbo, it is quite possible to submerge the turbo in higher water over 4". While you'd be stupid to go through such deep water, sometimes you don't even see it coming regardless of how careful you are. Getting a splash of water on the turbo housing isn't a big deal, but submerging the housing will almost always crack it because of the rapid cooling.

2) With the location of the turbo, it is quite possible to hit road debris, an animal, and a severe dip and catch the turbo. Usually the cross member will hit these items with little or no damage is caused, but smacking a possem at 70mph with 4" turbo of ground clearance could rip the thing clean out. Worst yet, the mounting point of the turbo to the tranny case could potentially crack or break the tranny case on impact. The alumninum tranny cases are quite brittle.

Hopefully I'm completely wrong. I still think locating the turbo where the battery is situated is best location. It's easy to get to and it's away from danger.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:45 AM

Interesting. What are the specs on the turbo? Will it be offered with other turbo options? What are you going to use for fuel management? Must be insane trying to control a turbo 3.5, this thing should not only produce some serious whp, but with the extra displacement, it should be putting out some nice torque figures as well. As 99% of the people want +1 for dyno and completed pics/specs/availability.

LEMAR
Old 02-14-2005, 10:30 AM

Finally, here's the good stuff!

Pic of the turbo (T04E) - as you can see, the turbo is mounted to the case of the transmission:

Last pic of the turbo - Look at that thing! A thing of beauty!

Is that roadkill blood on the transmission?
Old 02-14-2005, 10:51 AM

That's assembly lube
Old 02-14-2005, 11:08 AM
Sports Button FTW

dam DAVE B u make a great point....this kit may not be for those that prefer to drop their car....i never really seen turbo's down there before. sometimes in far back of engine bay or way up front near radiator but mostly around batteyr area. This is extra work to make this car look like a sleeper but i wonder if those issues will come up. Someone with a stillen kit for looks may drive like a puss to avoid damaging but when u have turbo and that much speed, the last thing u thinking about or want to think about is watch out for that dip....
Old 02-14-2005, 11:12 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

good stuff...very well put together turbo location is quesitonable though
Old 02-14-2005, 11:14 AM

Along with Dave B's concerns, how does the oil return from the turbo work with the turbo as low as the oil pan? It looks like return oil will have to be actively pumped back to the engine sump.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:16 AM
I'm needing a caw

Correct. They MUST use some type of scavenge pump. But the turbo is so low that it might be difficult to set it up right. At least one pump maker told me that they recommend having the oil dump into a reseviour or a length of line under the turbo. So that the oil doesn't back up into the turbo and cause some smoke when you start the car.

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
Along with Dave B's concerns, how does the oil return from the turbo work with the turbo as low as the oil pan? It looks like return oil will have to be actively pumped back to the engine sump.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:23 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
how does the oil return from the turbo work with the turbo as low as the oil pan? It looks like return oil will have to be actively pumped back to the engine sump.
Excellent point.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:31 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Perfect turbo location IMO, exactly where I planned/wanted it.

Only things I don't care for are the MAF location, IC, non-BB turbo, engine management, and fuel injectors, but hopefully they offer a tuner kit.

SFR/Tim do AWESOME work....FINALLY someone took SSR up on their offer.HNDA ETR
Old 02-14-2005, 11:59 AM
The Definitive AE Master

congrats roy! its been so hard keeping this secret since december
Old 02-14-2005, 12:03 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

fyi, there is no stillen kit for the 5.5 gen
Old 02-14-2005, 12:06 PM

You should be SFR's guinea pig for us 3.0s.

Originally Posted by Larrio
congrats roy! its been so hard keeping this secret since december
Old 02-14-2005, 12:27 PM
The Definitive AE Master

if only I had that type of cash lying around alex

but doesn't 270hp/26xtq NA 3.5 sound so much more..... attractive?
Old 02-14-2005, 12:44 PM

Not sure on that...I've never rode in one, but the turbo torque is an addictive rush that I have experienced.

Different strokes for different folks as usual, I guess.

Originally Posted by Larrio
if only I had that type of cash lying around alex

but doesn't 270hp/26xtq NA 3.5 sound so much more..... attractive?
Old 02-14-2005, 01:03 PM

......It is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. Praise be the turbo!! It's boost endureth forever!!
Old 02-14-2005, 02:04 PM

Also, I like the undivided turbine volute with V-band flange....

Any more pictures on how they ran the exhaust?
Old 02-14-2005, 02:09 PM
I'm needing a caw

Look at the turbo orientation. Not much choice. The turbine outlet is pointing straight back towards the rear.

But on another note. If you guys think the turbo is low. I'm going to guess that the turbo feed pipes will hang even lower than the turbo. The flange is pointing pretty parallel to the ground but the feed pipes will have to come down under then around into the turbo feed flange?

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
Old 02-14-2005, 02:14 PM

I'm more interested in the crossover pipe to see where/how they merged the ypipe and where the WG is located.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:18 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally Posted by Quicksilver
Nice...and my powertrain warranty just went bye bye! Looks like I now know what my course of modding action will be...

Do you know that I own a mig welder?
Old 02-14-2005, 02:20 PM

Per other kits, it will use a PSC1 from Split Second(http://www.splitsec.com/) for fuel control, however hopefully they offer a FTC1 as an option for fuel and timing. I would NOT run this kit without retarding timing.

I have an idea on the injectors, but I'll wait before I start on my .

Originally Posted by RastaManMax
Interesting. What are the specs on the turbo? Will it be offered with other turbo options? What are you going to use for fuel management? Must be insane trying to control a turbo 3.5, this thing should not only produce some serious whp, but with the extra displacement, it should be putting out some nice torque figures as well. As 99% of the people want +1 for dyno and completed pics/specs/availability.

LEMAR
Old 02-14-2005, 02:24 PM
Play with my balls

Also, I like the undivided turbine volute with V-band flange....

Wouldn't the setup be similiar to the 3.5 Altima kit that was done? By the looks of this, it would seem like the kit had little differences. Correct me if I'm off.

pic comp of ssr engineering......

Old 02-14-2005, 02:26 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally Posted by Dave B
While the worksmanship looks suberb, I question the location of this turbo. Maybe it's the angle of the camera, but it sure appears to me that the turbo is hanging lower than the tranny case. While I don't have much experience with 5th gens, I know that with H&Rs, my ground clearance between the lowest point of the tranny case was around 6" and that the crossmember was around 5" on my 96 Maxima. By looking at this pic, the turbo seems to hang an inch or two below the tranny case and that's without the feed line attached which could make for even less ground clearance. I could only assume that the 5th gen has the same type of clearance as my 4th gen did. Also, most guys want springs lower than H&Rs so chances are they have less clearance than I did.

Assuming what I'm seeing is correct, there are the two major issues I see with this turbo location:

1) With the location of the turbo, it is quite possible to submerge the turbo in higher water over 4". While you'd be stupid to go through such deep water, sometimes you don't even see it coming regardless of how careful you are. Getting a splash of water on the turbo housing isn't a big deal, but submerging the housing will almost always crack it because of the rapid cooling.

2) With the location of the turbo, it is quite possible to hit road debris, an animal, and a severe dip and catch the turbo. Usually the cross member will hit these items with little or no damage is caused, but smacking a possem at 70mph with 4" turbo of ground clearance could rip the thing clean out. Worst yet, the mounting point of the turbo to the tranny case could potentially crack or break the tranny case on impact. The alumninum tranny cases are quite brittle.

Hopefully I'm completely wrong. I still think locating the turbo where the battery is situated is best location. It's easy to get to and it's away from danger.

My questions exactly... And 50 deg water on a 1000 deg turbine may crack it with only small splashes.

Also, where is the oil return line going to feed back to?

What size piping are they using for the filter and where will it be located? ( I'm ASSuming they are not going to have the filter connected directly to the turbo)

What sump pump are yall using?

Not hating, as stated in the FI forum, just asking questions... trying to understand and get my lern on.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:26 PM

I don't think so, we have a longitudinal cross brace in the way.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:27 PM
I'm needing a caw

Damn. Is that a right angle connection for the frt/rear collector?

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
Wouldn't the setup be similiar to the 3.5 Altima kit that was done? By the looks of this, it would seem like the kit had little differences. Correct me if I'm off.

pic comp of ssr engineering......

Old 02-14-2005, 02:29 PM

Mocal scavenge pump directly through the oil pan drain plug like the Altima kit is my bet.

Originally Posted by Bags
Also, where is the oil return line going to feed back to?

What sump pump are yall using?
Old 02-14-2005, 02:29 PM

Haha...now you know why I'm asking.

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Damn. Is that a right angle connection for the frt/rear collector?
Old 02-14-2005, 02:31 PM
I'm needing a caw

Can you do that? If the drain plug is higher than the turbo, you are going to have some head pressure back into the turbo when the engine is off.

Mocal scavenge pump directly through the oil pan drain plug like the Altima kit is my bet.

Quick Reply: FIRST LOOK! SSR/SFR Turbo Kit for 5th Gen