5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Wow, we really set the CL-S guys off!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2001, 02:11 PM
PhatGuy

Originally posted by Kevin

Ok I'm assuming 27,000 out the door after taxes and license and fees etc, with all the mods that y2KEv listed, they total to about ~$4500. So the Max SE, with 27,000 + 4,500 = 31,500. With all those, what kind of HP 0-60, and 1/4 times would you expect to see with the maxima??

My CL-Type S is was ~$30,000 (+/-$100) out the door after taxes license fees etc etc. I got every option ( including spoiler) except for Navigation system. ( Nav system was an extra $2k, not worth it IMO) The best times I've seen documented for a stock CL-S is: 0-60 in 6.4 and the 1/4 mile in about 14.8 secs.

I'd really like to know what the performance of the modded maxima would be.
Your fogetting the whole racing suspension your Max would have for cornering which would be amazing! Never seen a CL-S with 14.8 1/4 mile but I guarantee with all the mods on the Max 5spd at around the same price $30-$31K US would "DESTROY" the CL-S on the race track in every way...let alone the body kit and lighting! That is the true comparison of the cars not this stock crap with different priced cars. The Max has real back seats as well and 4 doors! Duh like we didn't know that already :-) So no offence to CL-S owners but dollar for dollar the Maxima rocks the CL-S for the same class of car. This is not at all "flame" just facts...do the math add it up and see what you get.

Old 05-18-2001, 02:14 PM

Well if all we are looking for is the fastest car, give me a 1.8t golf and 10k to mod with. I'm sure I'd have both cars beaten in handling and acceleration/speed. There are compromises in every car. If you throw all that money into a max, you still won't have navigation and a triptronic (sp?) tranny and who knows what other luxury features. I personally would prefer a max but any way you slice it they are both good cars.
Old 05-18-2001, 02:20 PM
PhatGuy

Originally posted by punkdork
Well if all we are looking for is the fastest car, give me a 1.8t golf and 10k to mod with. I'm sure I'd have both cars beaten in handling and acceleration/speed. There are compromises in every car. If you throw all that money into a max, you still won't have navigation and a triptronic (sp?) tranny and who knows what other luxury features. I personally would prefer a max but any way you slice it they are both good cars.
1.8T golf isn't the same class of car. VW also has the worst warranty in the industry. The specific thread and issue here is CL-S vs Maxima 2K1 AE (I say use the 5pd for comparison). Sorry the Maxima has the CL-S beat easily for the same money spent and nobody can dispute that.

Old 05-18-2001, 02:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by PhatGuy
1.8T golf isn't the same class of car. VW also has the worst warranty in the industry. The specific thread and issue here is CL-S vs Maxima 2K1 AE (I say use the 5pd for comparison). Sorry the Maxima has the CL-S beat easily for the same money spent and nobody can dispute that.
I'm afraid I can't completely agree with you. I think you're mostly focussing on performance and in that area you are correct, but the extra few G's that you spend on the CL-S does get you a car that, inside, feels more luxurious and has slightly more refined appointments. Also, the nav system is not available on the Max and to install it with the refinement of the system in the CL-S, you'd have to spend mucho-$$$ to prevent your dash looking like a piece of $hit.

I test drove both and, personally, believe the Max is a better investment. However, I didn't need the nav system (I know my way home ) and absolutely must have a 5-speed in a performance vehicle. I'm also mostly bothered by the refinements in the CL-S...it takes away from the muscle of the vehicle...I like the simple interior of the AE. The Max feels meaner!!!! That's what I wanted in this 4DSC...not a soft version of a sports car. You are, however, paying extra for a reason when you buy the CL-S.
Old 05-18-2001, 02:33 PM

I agree its isn't the same class of car. I would argue that the CL-S and Maxima are barely in the same class. Especially once you start modding the hell out of a max, of course it'll beat a stock CL-S. Since most people have been arguing simply on the basis of performance I thought it would be good to mention a car that I'm sure everyone agrees is below a max or CL-S and show that it could outperform both for the same amount of cash.
Old 05-18-2001, 02:42 PM
PhatGuy

Originally posted by Michael98033

I'm afraid I can't completely agree with you. I think you're mostly focussing on performance and in that area you are correct, but the extra few G's that you spend on the CL-S does get you a car that, inside, feels more luxurious and has slightly more refined appointments. Also, the nav system is not available on the Max and to install it with the refinement of the system in the CL-S, you'd have to spend mucho-$$$ to prevent your dash looking like a piece of $hit.

I test drove both and, personally, believe the Max is a better investment. However, I didn't need the nav system (I know my way home ) and absolutely must have a 5-speed in a performance vehicle. I'm also mostly bothered by the refinements in the CL-S...it takes away from the muscle of the vehicle...I like the simple interior of the AE. The Max feels meaner!!!! That's what I wanted in this 4DSC...not a soft version of a sports car. You are, however, paying extra for a reason when you buy the CL-S.
The Nav system on the CL-S is even another $2000US over the 30-31K with the car in question. Ya this is all about performance which I will say again would "DESTROY" a comparable priced CL-S on the track/street! Remember also all the cosmetic upgrades on our "Modded Out Max"....Stillen body kit...lights in and out.....springs (looks and performance there).... sweet brushed alum dash kit...extra Amp with extra sub(s). Not even the same car you now have a sweet original Ride versus a stock CL-S. and the main issue of this whole thread was perfomance. CL-S is a "nice" car but cannot touch the Max at the same bang for the buck!

Old 05-18-2001, 02:45 PM

The Nav system on the CL-S is even another $2000US over the 30-31K with the car in question. Ya this is all about performance which I will say again would "DESTROY" a comparable priced CL-S on the track/street! Remember also all the cosmetic upgrades on our "Modded Out Max"....Stillen body kit...lights in and out.....springs (looks and performance there).... sweet brushed alum dash kit...extra Amp with extra sub(s). Not even the same car you now have a sweet original Ride versus a stock CL-S. and the main issue of this whole thread was perfomance. CL-S is a "nice" car but cannot touch the Max at the same bang for the buck!
On performance I agree...For $31K you get more out of the Max than out of the CL-S.
Old 05-18-2001, 02:47 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Yup, just dump $4K for a SC (like DMan) and you'll definitely blow away a CL-S (performance-wise).
Old 05-18-2001, 02:57 PM
PhatGuy

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Yup, just dump $4K for a SC (like DMan) and you'll definitely blow away a CL-S (performance-wise).
Ya forgot about that too. You can mack out the Max like we have been talking about. Or just take a stock Max and put a SC on it. Either way the CL-S loses very bad for the same money. I personally would go the "Macked" out way since the car would handle, sound and look amazing! I agree with Punkdork too the TL-S would be more in the same class as the Max and the same getting "DESTROYED" for the dollar would apply.

Old 05-18-2001, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by Michael98033

First off, I would guess (purely speculation) that a 5-speed with Kev's modifications would blow those times away, however...

Where did you get the 6.4 time on the CL-S. I believe the 14.8...C&D gave it a 15.1. 6.4 is pretty fast considering the 6.9 that I saw in C&D. I suppose manually shifting the auto tranny you could make for a better time than otherwise, but .5 seconds seems to be a lot of time to drop on an automatic with just driving ability. Maybe not...but then again...I've only ever purchased one automatic tranny vehicle.
Didn't want to sound like I was biased so I basically listed the best and worse times that have seen for the CL-S, I think it was online at edmuinds or something like that.
Old 05-18-2001, 08:38 PM

True, but forget $$$ for a second. Mod for mod , I don't think the MAxima has a chance..... :grin:
Old 05-18-2001, 09:50 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

True, but forget $$$ for a second. Mod for mod , I don't think the MAxima has a chance..... :grin:
Of course the Max doesn't because the CL-S still has it's hp advantage. I put on intake, you put on intake. I change my exhaust, you change you exhaust....... this can keep going until one car can get a mod while the other can't because it's not available yet.
Old 05-18-2001, 09:58 PM
EZ

Of course the Max doesn't because the CL-S still has it's hp advantage. I put on intake, you put on intake. I change my exhaust, you change you exhaust....... this can keep going until one car can get a mod while the other can't because it's not available yet.
Supercharger for supercharger....oh wait sooooo sorry. CLS has no supercharger
Old 05-18-2001, 10:08 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by EZ

Supercharger for supercharger....oh wait sooooo sorry. CLS has no supercharger
Shhhh... I didn't want to mention that.
Old 05-18-2001, 10:48 PM
EZ

Funny thing is...

...the fastest Max is waaaaaaay faster than the fastest CLS.
Old 05-19-2001, 12:00 AM

Re: Funny thing is...

Originally posted by EZ
Out of curiosity, what is the fastest max. Is it a 5th generation. I am assuming that you are taking about a 5th gen since you are comparing it to the CL-S.
Old 05-19-2001, 12:53 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Fastest Max is a 4th gen... crazy people with SC AND nitrous.
Old 05-19-2001, 02:02 AM

what's it run?
Old 05-19-2001, 02:16 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by Menacer
what's it run?
Rumor has it... 12.6. Don in Texas (automatic) runs 12.8 with nitrous.
Old 05-19-2001, 03:49 PM
PhatGuy

You haven't driven a 5spd 2K1 AE have you? How about you line your CL-S up against someone who has a 5spd 2K1. There are tons of members all across North America.....what city are you in? Do a couple of runs and see how you guys do?

Old 05-19-2001, 04:01 PM

You haven't driven a 5spd 2K1 AE have you? How about you line your CL-S up against someone who has a 5spd 2K1. There are tons of members all across North America.....what city are you in? Do a couple of runs and see how you guys do?
I think Kevin is saying that if you were to apply the same modifications to the CL-S and a Max 5-speed, he believes the CL-S would have the edge.

Who knows...it would certainly have the power advantage as it does stock, but the Max would still have the 5-speed.
Old 05-20-2001, 11:43 AM

I guess we'll never know until we get both cars fully souped up an race em. In anycase by the time I can get money for those mods they'll probably have a 6-sp CL out( I'll probably trade in if they do come out with a 6-sp.)
And Phatguy, I live in NJ and I'm willing to do a few races with anyone with a 5-sp 5th gen maxima, I think it would be cool to see how these cars stack up againest each other.
Old 05-20-2001, 11:47 AM

Re: Funny thing is...

Originally posted by EZ
even funnier is the fact that all 4th gen Maximas are faster then 5th gens
Old 05-20-2001, 11:56 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Re: Funny thing is...

even funnier is the fact that all 4th gen Maximas are faster then 5th gens
Are you sure about that?
Old 05-20-2001, 12:24 PM

Re: Re: Re: Funny thing is...

Are you sure about that?

Who knows...I guess this post could gone forever and ever....

Kev, that Stillen bodykit you have on your Max, they did a hell of a better job with the 5th gen kit then the 4th gen kit. never liked the side pieces on the 4th gen kit. I was looking at your page, how come you didnt get you TCM done by the dealer?
Old 05-20-2001, 06:56 PM
QUANSUNG

[/B][/QUOTE]i'm down for a race i'm in union county nj.

Old 05-20-2001, 07:19 PM

it's ova with already

LET BYE GONES BE BYE GONES.....GEZZZZZ HASN'T THIS GONE LONG ENOUGH??????????????
Old 05-21-2001, 06:48 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Funny thing is...

Who knows...I guess this post could gone forever and ever....

Kev, that Stillen bodykit you have on your Max, they did a hell of a better job with the 5th gen kit then the 4th gen kit. never liked the side pieces on the 4th gen kit. I was looking at your page, how come you didnt get you TCM done by the dealer?
I have the VB recalibration, so they could've swapped in a stock VB while doing the new solenoid if they REALLY got lazy. I doubt they'd do that, but I couldn't trust them.