5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Someone Needs To Make A Camber Plate!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
you have aluminum fabrication equipment and ability to make the pillow-ball mounts?

Does it have to be aluminum? Wouldnt steel be better since aluminum is a really soft material which under heavy load might give? Let me know
Old 03-13-2006, 07:34 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by SuperStasiu
Does it have to be aluminum? Wouldnt steel be better since aluminum is a really soft material which under heavy load might give? Let me know
I suppose a steel one would work too I'm not too sure about the build of the camber plates, though I thought the main plate was aluminum, at least on the stillen one.

Steel would probably be stronger though.....but it would be pretty heavy also.,...
Old 03-13-2006, 07:55 PM
retired moderator

Can anyone post a 3d drawing for the pillow ball mounts. I have some extra material lying around my house and work and i have access to a mill and lathe. The ball mount would be the only hard part to make, if anyone has an extra camber plate somewhere lying around and wants to shipp it to me or someone local would let me borrow theirs i could get a better feel for the part. We could duplicate a plate then change some things around so as not to infringe copyright laws. Also would the camber plates be same for the 4th.5th, and 5.5 gens??
I wouldn't worry about copyright laws - Stillen isn't making theirs anymore anyways, so it's probably a moot point.

The 5 and 5.5gen are the same, not sure if the 4th gen is or not.

if you go on ebay, and enter "camber plate" a bunch will come up (for non-maximas)....maybe you could get one on "the cheap" and use the design, altered to fit the maxima?
Old 03-13-2006, 07:56 PM
retired moderator

here's an ebay one for 280Z, which "looks" similar to the design ours would need to be.

Old 03-13-2006, 07:58 PM
retired moderator

I contacted technotoytuning, that makes plates for Datsun 510s, older z-cars, and other nissans/datsuns to ask if they'd be interested in making some for us....their plates run about $170, alot cheaper than Stealin...
Old 03-14-2006, 04:26 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

stillens plates are made by cusco, and sold for much more.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:00 AM
Conecarver

Originally Posted by JSutter
stillens plates are made by cusco, and sold for much more.
I don't think so. They looked the same to me too but according to NapsUSA and Cusco Jap theirs is different. The Cusco spherical is 18mm inside diam and 20mm tall. The Stillen is 18.9mm diam, and 22mm tall.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:07 AM
retired moderator

reply from technotoytuning, which is a machine shop that makes stuff like this (I linked them to this thread).

Subject: Re: camber plates

> We will make them for you. It will probably require use of coilovers in order to have them
> actually work though (you'll need a smaller upper spring hat and spring for clearance, basically).
>
> That drawing posted on the forums is accurate?
>
>
> Gia & Gabriel Tyler
> www.TechnoToyTuning.com
\

The Stillen plates work fine with a regular spring/strut combo, don't they?? I figure I will buy Larry's stillen plates and then do some precise measurements and these guys can make them for whoever wants them...
Old 03-14-2006, 07:40 AM
The Definitive AE Master

I wonder what design they will use....

The stillen plates use a spherical bearing riding on a steel plate around a aluminum camber housing. It also has a machined portion underneath to incorporate the stock strut bearing
Old 03-14-2006, 10:38 AM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Larrio
I wonder what design they will use....

The stillen plates use a spherical bearing riding on a steel plate around a aluminum camber housing. It also has a machined portion underneath to incorporate the stock strut bearing
I sent an email back saying it would have to be a Stillen-style plate...it's the spring/strut guys that want the plates mostly, since most of the coilovers come with them....

I may have Corey touch base with them and see if he wants to make this a redlinemax product we'll see..
Old 03-14-2006, 12:45 PM
Boss Chen Industries

Whatever it takes to get this made. Especially since the Stillen-style plates will work with the BC coilovers

I'll order a batch quantity depending on price
Old 03-14-2006, 01:24 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Larrio Motors
Whatever it takes to get this made. Especially since the Stillen-style plates will work with the BC coilovers

I'll order a batch quantity depending on price
maybe you should be talking to them then...email is ggtyler@yahoo.com

since you have a stillen plate on-hand, you could just have them copy the one you have there.....

you could call it the "boss chen camber plate"
Old 03-14-2006, 07:49 PM
The Definitive AE Master

maybe you should be talking to them then...email is ggtyler@yahoo.com

since you have a stillen plate on-hand, you could just have them copy the one you have there.....

you could call it the "boss chen camber plate"
I don't have enough money to buy enough to get a new batch started. I'll need to work with Redlinemax or at least help fill the order requirements if there is a group buy with other org members.

I'd rather have customers purchase the camber plate separately per their needs. The camber plate drives up the price and also becomes more liability for me in the long run
Old 03-14-2006, 08:00 PM
retired moderator

I don't have enough money to buy enough to get a new batch started. I'll need to work with Redlinemax or at least help fill the order requirements if there is a group buy with other org members.

I'd rather have customers purchase the camber plate separately per their needs. The camber plate drives up the price and also becomes more liability for me in the long run
right...I meant that the various distributors here on the org could pitch in for somethign like this (redline, CE, you, etc...) to get it made

the email I got didn't mention any minimum order or batch.....

In any case, I'm going to buy the stillen ones from you anyhow, since I don't have time to wait for plates with track season soon approaching. expect a paypal soon.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:50 PM

Bump this thread to the top because all the ones on the first page suck. I'll try to look at some if i can and see about makeing these. Lets keep this thread on the front page.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:10 PM
retired moderator

Bump this thread to the top because all the ones on the first page suck. I'll try to look at some if i can and see about makeing these. Lets keep this thread on the front page.
once I receive the stillen plates from Larry, I'll use some calipers and make measurements for you.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:14 PM
The Definitive AE Master

I will contact them tomorrow. Are you providing a measurement for them irish?
Old 03-15-2006, 03:18 PM
retired moderator

I will contact them tomorrow. Are you providing a measurement for them irish?
unless you'd rather do it before you ship the stillen plates.....you may have a better idea of what measurements are needed for fabrication - I have little experience in the fabrication business.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:49 PM
The Definitive AE Master

Too late, it went out already.

The only importance is the size of the OEM strut bearing and the size of the shock shaft that will go through the pillowball bearing. They can make everything else around the three bolts that go through the strut housing
Old 03-15-2006, 08:09 PM
retired moderator

Too late, it went out already.

The only importance is the size of the OEM strut bearing and the size of the shock shaft that will go through the pillowball bearing. They can make everything else around the three bolts that go through the strut housing
right...I didn't mean to carbon-copy the stillen plate, I just meant use it for the measurements that are applicable. I guess you can get the shaft size off one of your stock struts though....

is there a tracking number for the shipment, or no?
Old 03-15-2006, 08:21 PM
The Definitive AE Master

I'll check at work tomorrow morning
Old 03-16-2006, 03:35 PM

once I receive the stillen plates from Larry, I'll use some calipers and make measurements for you.

Kool, this will be on my top priority list keep me posted on whats up
Old 03-17-2006, 12:37 PM

bump to the top. Hey hey hey hey
Old 03-17-2006, 02:01 PM
Conecarver

Josh - just talked to Gabrielle @ TTT. Very nice guy. If you can't supply him the plates I'll throw him one of mine as he only needs to inspect for one day. I ordered a set of their upper hat's to try em out and as a thank you for helping us develop these.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

...for the 5th gen, besides Stillen. The stillen plates are $400!!

The Cusco plates for various cars only cost $200-250, and look to be of identical materials/design.

someone...needs....to....make....an.....affordable .....camber......plate (not bolt)....for......the.....maxima!!

Have you tried Tien??
Old 03-17-2006, 05:01 PM

Ok guys got great news i will be getting ahold of an old camber plate from a set of jic's from a fello orger. I will be taking very close measurements of this and seeing as how to go about fabricating this. The measurements i will post here so that anyone that wants and has access to machines can do it themselves. Otherwise i will attempt at making a couple sets. This will take me alittle bit of time, so plz be patient.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:09 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by BEJAY1
Josh - just talked to Gabrielle @ TTT. Very nice guy. If you can't supply him the plates I'll throw him one of mine as he only needs to inspect for one day. I ordered a set of their upper hat's to try em out and as a thank you for helping us develop these.
Once they get here, I probably won't want to physically send them anywhere, but I will take the most precise measurements possible with my engineering calipers and take a ton of close-up pics - hopefully that will be enough for them to fabricate them.

Did he say where they were located (east coast/west coast)
Old 03-18-2006, 04:56 AM
Conecarver

Once they get here, I probably won't want to physically send them anywhere, but I will take the most precise measurements possible with my engineering calipers and take a ton of close-up pics - hopefully that will be enough for them to fabricate them.

Did he say where they were located (east coast/west coast)
Looks like Sacramento from the phone & license pics. Lemme call them Monday again then. I'll send one of mine out for inspect. Go ahead and send your measurements & pics too. Create some demand for it...
Old 03-18-2006, 01:05 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by BEJAY1
Looks like Sacramento from the phone & license pics. Lemme call them Monday again then. I'll send one of mine out for inspect. Go ahead and send your measurements & pics too. Create some demand for it...
sounds good...mine got here today, so I'll take measurements tomorrow.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:17 AM
retired moderator

If anyone sends me their email, I will send them pics and measurements of the plates. It's too many pics, and I don't have the time to upload all of them to my site to host them. If you want them, pm me your email.

* NOTE: this is for informational purposes only. What you do with these measurements is up to you

one odd thing - for my 2000 maxima, there are two spacers that are "for 2000 maxima only" - why are these included for only the 2000 model and not others?
Old 03-20-2006, 02:50 PM
retired moderator

HERE'S THE NEW DEAL:

I just spoke to Corey (redlinemax) and he is going to meet up with me to borrow the plates for a few days. He is going to use them as the basis for a new (similar, but not "same") design, and take them to the fabrication shop that makes other components for Redlinemax.com - tomorrow. Since he will be able to buy these in more bulk, most likely, he'll be able to put up the best prices for us - plus my maxima and others are nearby to do testing on.

I will keep you guys posted on this, but suggest you hold off making any or finding a local shop of your own until Corey can check into pricing and how long it would take to make them.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:26 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

How come Tein doesnt make a camber plate for our maxima's?
Old 03-20-2006, 03:31 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by DUKEE
How come Tein doesnt make a camber plate for our maxima's?
because....they don't Because most maxima owners are too cheap to buy them, which is why Stillen stopped making them...

the market for them is primarily the autocross guys on here, frankly.