5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Replacing CV boots...Anyone done this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 09:39 AM

Replacing CV boots...Anyone done this?

Hey, I just found out one of my CV boots is busted and to fix it the shop is telling me it will run around $600-$700. They are saying that since they have to pull the axle out to replace the boot I might as well replace the axle as well. I don't know if I can do this myself or not, I installed my D2 coilovers with a friend and it was pretty easy. Let me know what you guys have done and also how uch you'll have paid for something like this.
Thanks!
Old 07-16-2005, 09:46 AM
Kevlo for President

Autozone axles is what I got. Been fine for about 1-2 years. They are like 50-60bucks after core.
www.rockauto.com has some too. Or get OEM nissan ones from Pinnacle Nissan.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:51 AM

do you only replace the axles if they're bent or what? my axles are ok from what I know as i don't hear any noises when i'm turning or anything. should i replace them or just do the boots? thanks!
Old 07-16-2005, 12:26 PM

no point in replacing just the boot... hes right about doing the whole axle. if your boot is ripped, thers probably foreign stuff in that axle and it will fail soon. since youre in there, just replace the axle!
Old 07-16-2005, 12:38 PM
Kevlo for President

Originally Posted by Tone8969
no point in replacing just the boot... hes right about doing the whole axle. if your boot is ripped, thers probably foreign stuff in that axle and it will fail soon. since youre in there, just replace the axle!

Old 07-16-2005, 01:20 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by nadeemp8
Hey, I just found out one of my CV boots is busted and to fix it the shop is telling me it will run around $600-$700. They are saying that since they have to pull the axle out to replace the boot I might as well replace the axle as well. I don't know if I can do this myself or not, I installed my D2 coilovers with a friend and it was pretty easy. Let me know what you guys have done and also how uch you'll have paid for something like this.
Thanks!
I changed the left axle, I paid 150 and this was just when I got the car.
Had the boot changed on the other side for 50.00

Its a lot of grease and a lil pain in the butt, get it done by a pro, not like it costs too much.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:37 PM
Helicopters! Money!!!

600-700 is way too much. And yes, you should replace the whole axle. You'll feel like an idiot if a couple months down the road it fails anyways.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:41 PM
Helicopters! Money!!!

First, there is the question of reliability. The glue-together seam must be perfectly clean when the glue is applied for a good bond. A small speck of dirt or any grease on either surface will weaken the seam and may cause it to fail.

Second, the boot must be left undisturbed for up to an hour while the adhesive cures. Otherwise the seam will not hold. In the bolt-together boot, glue is not used to seal the seam. The manufacturer supplies an extra quantity of lubricant to replace grease that is continuously lost during normal operation. This necessitates periodic relubrication.

Third, Its very difficult to thoroughly clean and inspect a CV joint on the car. Some contaminated grease will remain in the bottom of the joint regardless of how much solvent is sprayed or brushed on the joint.

Fourth, and most importantly, a joint with a bad boot and contaminated grease may be damaged and need to be replaced anyway. It's impossible to detect certain types of cage damage and race wear without removing the joint from the car.

--Credit to raxles.com
Old 07-16-2005, 04:58 PM

ok, so it looks like i need to replace to whole axle along with the boot. Should I do this to both the left and right axle or should i just replace the one that is broken? Also where is the best place for me to get axles and is it a bad idea to get remanufactured ones? thanks for your help!!
Old 07-16-2005, 04:59 PM

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to ask if my axles are any different since I have an AE and it has the LSD? Most of the replacement axles I'm seeing say that they exclude the 20th AE.
Old 07-16-2005, 08:42 PM

Thanks!
hey man--the outter boots are pretty easy--it just gets messy--I do not take the axle out to do an outter cv boot I do it with the axle still in place--just have to take the hub off and everthing---yea sure its probly easier for them to replace an axle--but if your axles are not making noise when you turn then there is no reason you should replace them--just reboot. I only rec an axle if it looks like the boot is torn for a long time and I can see dirt in it.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Bensmax00
hey man--the outter boots are pretty easy--it just gets messy--I do not take the axle out to do an outter cv boot I do it with the axle still in place--just have to take the hub off and everthing---yea sure its probly easier for them to replace an axle--but if your axles are not making noise when you turn then there is no reason you should replace them--just reboot. I only rec an axle if it looks like the boot is torn for a long time and I can see dirt in it.
I know the boot tore about a week ago, so it hasn't been too long. However I think the boot I need to replace is the inner boot closer to the engine. There is someone on the Houston Imports board (Krazed Kustom Garage I think?) that is willing to replace my axle and repaint the front of my car for $700 so I may do that, it sounds like a good deal....
Old 07-17-2005, 09:47 PM

I know the boot tore about a week ago, so it hasn't been too long. However I think the boot I need to replace is the inner boot closer to the engine. There is someone on the Houston Imports board (Krazed Kustom Garage I think?) that is willing to replace my axle and repaint the front of my car for $700 so I may do that, it sounds like a good deal....
sounds pretty good
Old 07-18-2005, 01:40 PM

only prob is that they don't have any references.....dilemma dilemma.....