5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Anyone make a Torsen diff. for the 5.5 gen?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 07:45 PM

Anyone make a Torsen diff. for the 5.5 gen?

Does anyone make a Torsen differential for the 5.5 gen? Something similar to a Quaife ATB diff. is what I'm looking for.
I'm not able to search and I've already googled it with no success, so don't bother flaming me.
Any/all help in this matter is appreciated! Thanks much.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

helical = torsen, AFAIK...

stock unit. yay for 5.5gens...
Old 09-29-2005, 08:59 PM

Are you sure that helical = Torsen (tor-que sen-sing)?
Does the stock diff. apportion torque left to right according to available traction in real-time/before actual wheel-slippage occurs like the Quaife does?
Old 09-29-2005, 09:45 PM

I believe that is correct. Torsen is just one company's brand name for the HLSD. Prior to the 5.5 gens, the LSDs were of the viscous type.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:53 PM

Really? First I thought they were called ATB diffs like Quaife's automatic torque biasing diff., then I learned that Quaife was just a brand.
Now I'm being told that they're called Torsen type diffs. Hopefully I've got it right this time! lol
So for they record, they're called HLSD's (for helical limited slip diffs), right?
Thanx much!
Any personal experience with it?
Old 09-30-2005, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by MaxesRule
With the OEM crappy tires, it's easy to tell that the HLSD is there when you take off quickly in wet conditions in first gear.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:08 AM

Really? How so? What does the car feel like?
Old 09-30-2005, 04:50 PM

i could tell you by looking at it if its torsen/zexel... ive got one for my truck sitting in my kitchen
Old 10-01-2005, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by jmt9n
With the OEM crappy tires, it's easy to tell that the HLSD is there when you take off quickly in wet conditions in first gear.
Are you stating that as a fact borne from personal experience or mere conjecture?

Theoretically, if you applied power to a HLSD in slippery conditions, it will act like an open diff. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference. The reason is because the HLSD is a torque-sensing system. It reacts to torque loads placed on the system, which binds up a set of gears riding on a helical bias, which binds up the diff. What that means to you is that if you lose traction in one or both wheels, the HLSD no longer senses any torque on the system and the gears won't lock up the diff. This is the opposite of a VLSD, which senses inequalities in wheel speed. These will lock up in slippery conditions if one wheel lose traction, but not if both wheels slip at the same rate.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:02 AM

Really? First I thought they were called ATB diffs like Quaife's automatic torque biasing diff., then I learned that Quaife was just a brand.
Now I'm being told that they're called Torsen type diffs. Hopefully I've got it right this time! lol
So for they record, they're called HLSD's (for helical limited slip diffs), right?
Thanx much!
For practical purposes, all three terms are synonymous. HLSD is the generic term. Quaife decided to call their version ATB, while Zexel decided to call theirs Torsen. Many other companies make HLSDs under their own band names. They all use helical gears and operate on the same or similar principles. Therefore, unless you are referring to a specific company's product, you should technically call them HLSDs. But brand names have become so commonplace that most people will know what you are talking about. It's not a big deal. Call them whatever you want. Just don't mix up the HLSD with other LSDs, like the viscous, spring, clutch types, etc.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by bigEL
Theoretically, if you applied power to a HLSD in slippery conditions, it will act like an open diff. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference. The reason is because the HLSD is a torque-sensing system. It reacts to torque loads placed on the system, which binds up a set of gears riding on a helical bias, which binds up the diff. What that means to you is that if you lose traction in one or both wheels, the HLSD no longer senses any torque on the system and the gears won't lock up the diff. This is the opposite of a VLSD, which senses inequalities in wheel speed. These will lock up in slippery conditions if one wheel lose traction, but not if both wheels slip at the same rate.
That's not entirely true. If there is no resistance (like the car jacked in the air) then it will act like an open diff, but as long as there is a little bit of resistance on the wheel that's on the slippery stuff the gears will engage and route the torque accordingly.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:08 AM

Torsen is a TYPE of lsd.
here are some linx explaining tis stuff:
http://www.houseofthud.com/differentials.htm
http://www.answerbag.com/q_view.php/1737
http://web.mit.edu/2.972/www/reports...ferential.html
Old 10-03-2005, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by bigEL
Are you stating that as a fact borne from personal experience or mere conjecture?
Personal experience.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:50 AM

Really? How so? What does the car feel like?
It's not easy to describe the feeling (for me at least). Generally, one tire slips for a split second and then stops because the HLSD kicks in. I've only done it a few times on accident (usually on hills when it's wet), but I can tell a difference compared to a car without one. You can also tell when accelerating rapidly in curves.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Stereodude
That's not entirely true. If there is no resistance (like the car jacked in the air) then it will act like an open diff, but as long as there is a little bit of resistance on the wheel that's on the slippery stuff the gears will engage and route the torque accordingly.
That's why I said "theoretically." Manufacturers can design in different degrees of play before the LSD kicks in. That's why I asked. I wasn't trying to be a wiseguy.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:24 PM

thats called torque bias.

Originally Posted by chr0nos
Torsen is a TYPE of lsd.

THANK you...

Torsen bought zexel, or the other way around. the name is synonymous with a helical gear locking differential. they invented it, AFAIK...
Old 10-04-2005, 05:49 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Torsen = Torque Sensing
Helical = The gears in the diff are cut in a helical pattern
ATB = Automatic Torque Biasing
LSD = A diff that doesn't let one wheel spin faster than the other by more than a certain amount

Any diff labelled "Quaife", "ATB", "Torsen", or "Helical" does the same thing: It acts like an open diff (good for turn-in) until one wheel encounters more resistance than the other, at which point it takes torque away from the faster-spinning wheel and channels it to the slower-spinning wheel. Some are better than others, but they all have helical gears and they all redirect torque. They can also kill torque steer, and they will not die for a very, very long time.

This is different from a plain LSD, like the viscous (VLSD) and clutch-type (e.g. Cusco, Kaaz, Phantom Grip) diffs. Those will prevent one wheel from spinning out of control by limiting the amount that one wheel can spin without the other. They won't redirect torque, they can compromise turn-in, and they won't help torque steer much, but they're much simpler (i.e. cheaper) and can be less intrusive for things like drifting.

NEITHER OF THESE TYPES IS ACTUALLY A "LOCKING" DIFFERENTIAL, no matter what anyone says. "Locking" is just a term that people throw around so they don't have to keep track of all the different kinds of non-open diffs. The diff types above will prevent traction loss, but they will NOT lock the wheels so that they spin together at exactly the same speed -- which is good, because that'd kinda suck for anything except going in a perfectly straight line on really bad surfaces.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:17 PM

and rock climbing
Old 10-05-2005, 12:06 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Yes. Yes indeed.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by d00df00d
Torsen = Torque Sensing
Helical = The gears in the diff are cut in a helical pattern
ATB = Automatic Torque Biasing
LSD = A diff that doesn't let one wheel spin faster than the other by more than a certain amount

Any diff labelled "Quaife", "ATB", "Torsen", or "Helical" does the same thing: It acts like an open diff (good for turn-in) until one wheel encounters more resistance than the other, at which point it takes torque away from the faster-spinning wheel and channels it to the slower-spinning wheel. Some are better than others, but they all have helical gears and they all redirect torque. They can also kill torque steer, and they will not die for a very, very long time.

This is different from a plain LSD, like the viscous (VLSD) and clutch-type (e.g. Cusco, Kaaz, Phantom Grip) diffs. Those will prevent one wheel from spinning out of control by limiting the amount that one wheel can spin without the other. They won't redirect torque, they can compromise turn-in, and they won't help torque steer much, but they're much simpler (i.e. cheaper) and can be less intrusive for things like drifting.

NEITHER OF THESE TYPES IS ACTUALLY A "LOCKING" DIFFERENTIAL, no matter what anyone says. "Locking" is just a term that people throw around so they don't have to keep track of all the different kinds of non-open diffs. The diff types above will prevent traction loss, but they will NOT lock the wheels so that they spin together at exactly the same speed -- which is good, because that'd kinda suck for anything except going in a perfectly straight line on really bad surfaces.
Makes sense cause i notice that i don't really have the tq steer problem i had with my auto 02 which was pretty bad on fast take offs. But my 6 speed w/HLSD can take of fast w/ almost no tq steer. Also when corner at high speed my 6 speed feels very stable. Now that i've driven both non-hlsd and hlsd equiped cars i'd have to say that hlsd is a must especially on manual tranny cars......
Old 10-27-2007, 09:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

H Limited slip for automatics

I have a 2003 max automatic and no LSD. Is there a way to add LSD to the car? Who would sell it?
Old 10-27-2007, 09:23 AM
F---ing Kangaroos

Originally Posted by BKmax20003
I have a 2003 max automatic and no LSD. Is there a way to add LSD to the car? Who would sell it?
Follow the rules, http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=365289
Old 10-27-2007, 12:18 PM

It's not easy to describe the feeling (for me at least). Generally, one tire slips for a split second and then stops because the HLSD kicks in. I've only done it a few times on accident (usually on hills when it's wet), but I can tell a difference compared to a car without one. You can also tell when accelerating rapidly in curves.
The only time I really notice they HLSD is when I am cornering really fast and I am able to keep giving the car gas thru the corner while my old 02 would feel sloppy.. So it helps you corner fast for sure
Old 10-27-2007, 03:55 PM
F---ing Kangaroos

I know I'm getting ready to comment on a 2yo post, bite me.

Generally, one tire slips for a split second and then stops because the HLSD kicks in.
:stfu: limited slips don't "kick in"