5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Pondering Maxima Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2001, 06:13 AM
GTPSean

Hi Guys,

My name is Sean, and I was just browsing your website. I currently have a Widetrack GTP, and am looking at a 2001 Maxima. I test drove one yesterday and absolutely love it. Any problems/issues that I should know about? Also, how do well are you satisfied with it?

Thanks,

Sean

Old 06-01-2001, 06:20 AM

If you check some of the other threads, you will get alot of info. Paint is the biggest issue. My advice???

Wait until September when the 2002 comes out. It's going to have 260hp and be a 6-speed with the awesome light kit on it. It might jump a little in price but for 260hp, I'm even thinking of trading mine in and I just purchased it new 2 months ago.
Old 06-01-2001, 06:44 AM
Got Bent?

yes, use the search function and hang out around here for a bit for more information. Welcome
Old 06-01-2001, 08:39 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Originally posted by GTPSean
Hi Guys,

My name is Sean, and I was just browsing your website. I currently have a Widetrack GTP, and am looking at a 2001 Maxima. I test drove one yesterday and absolutely love it. Any problems/issues that I should know about? Also, how do well are you satisfied with it?

Thanks,

Sean
I would NOT recommend it! I have had several issues with mine and its only 5 months old such as paint, ECU surge/cut, rattles, clunks, plastic dinks all over the place, and recently the NEW 240hp 2002 Altima which will depreciate the Max faster than normal. I'm extremely **** about keeping my car washed, waxed, and perfect, but routine maintenance of this car is kicking my butt. The paint dents from bugs, chips to the primer coat from pebbles, and surface contaminants are difficult to remove without major effort. I would hate to see someone elses Max if they don't take care of it and live in harsh weather conditions. I will NEVER purchase another Nissan product and this is the 3rd new one my family has owned. If your able to spend a little more look into an Acura TL-S(no manual trans.), used Lexus IS300/GS400(no manual trans.), used BMW 328is, or maybe a Jaguar X-type with AWD/V6/manual trans for under $35K.
Old 06-01-2001, 08:46 AM

IMHO you should definitely wait for the 2002 maximas in August. I certainly wish tha I had waited.
Old 06-01-2001, 09:55 AM

Aside from some punk on the freeway who casued a chain accident that my SE was involved in, my Maxima has been trouble-free since I got it last November. The car is a blast to drive, can be modified pretty well depending on your tastes, and gets looked at and respected by many. The paint issue that others here have brought up is an issue I agree with, however, but with proper care (washing, polishing, waxing, bra, etc.) it should be okay.

If you can wait a few months, get the 2002 Maxima in the fall. The great engine it already has will have even more HP, and all the base models will get more standard items that we now have to pay extra for. Also, it will be the last of the great mid-size Maximas before the huge change to full-size in 2003. Nissan should make a 21st Anniversary Edition 2002 Maxima SE just to celebrate that fact!

<In a haunting / hypnotic voice>
Get it...cars like it: 0...get it...cars like it: 0...get it...cars like it: 0...get it...
Old 06-01-2001, 10:24 AM

hey GTP Sean

i think you'll love the maxima. i'm very happy with my se. you know about the engine and the ride. the fact is that any car is going to have issues. our maxima's just happen to have an exhibitionist disposition which makes them want to take off their paint and show a little skin.
sure, i've got chips in the finish, which is ANNOYING. but the ride of the car is incredible, unless you're racing every day. it's a wash.
besides, from what i've read here, it seems that the issue has gottened someone's attention, cuz it doesn't seem like the 2k1's have such a bad time with it as us 2k owners.

i've had no major problems with mine (just a cd player glitch and a squeak in the hood that were fixed by the dealer no problem)
Old 06-01-2001, 10:34 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Now is the best time to get a 2K1

Sean;

One other thing to consider. The dealers are giving away 2K1s right now. I got mine in March with $3500 or so off of list. It was below invoice if I recall correctly. I saw an ad in the local paper last weekend that has the Max at $4500 off list price.

If you want the six speed or 260HP, wait for the 2002s. But these will go up in price and dealers won't be discounting. IMO, I would rather have the better price and spend a few of the $ that I saved on mods.

Good luck!
Old 06-01-2001, 03:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well, Sean.

If you have bucks to burn, wait for the redesign. If you want a superior machine at a great price (as has been pointed out earlier in this thread), the 2k1 is a screaming bargain with current incentives, IMHO.

I've had mine for four months now. Addressed paint chips with 3M Edge Guard on the hood & mirrors ($175), and it has been an extremely pleasant experience.

For context, I rarely keep a car more than 18 mos., so am comparing it to Accord V-6, Cad STS, Taurus SHO, etc. They all had admirable qualities somewhere. . .

Best of luck,
Old 06-01-2001, 08:51 PM

Why wait? I love my Max and although I may be a little envious of a little more power and 6 speed tranny, my '01 AE gets the job done with class and style. Despite it's (paint) blemishes, the car has been perfect in the 7500 miles I've logged.

...I'm not concerned about the Altima; it's still an Altima, and I think the name is going to hold it back from getting the respect it should in the first couple years of it's new life. And I don't care what anyone says, our 5th gen Max's are still superior to the new Altima.

If you like it, go for it...enjoy while you can.

srm
Old 06-01-2001, 09:10 PM

You might also want to checkout the Accord V6, my own ride. I'm a Maxima fan too but just happened to buy an Accord this time around so I that's why I lurk around here

If you're planning on getting a car with an automatic transmission then I'd definitely check out the Accord V6 (only available in auto) too. It has very similar performance to the Maxima/auto and only requires 87 octane fuel, so with fuel prices the way they are now that might be something to consider depending on how many miles you drive per year.

If you're planning on getting a stick shift, or you're mainly after performance (which I could see because GTP's HAUL!!!) then I'd definitely get a Maxima 5spd. From what I hear they're a good race between the Max/5spd and a GTP so you'd probably have similar performance.

As far as the 2k1/2k2 Maxima's, well, these guys have covered it. The 2k2 Max with the 260-horse engine is a big reason I didn't buy a Max this time around because of fears of my resale going down the toilet (among other things, and issues mentioned). So yeah, you could either get a smoking good deal on a 2k1 or hold out and get the more powerful 2k2, but at a price.

If you haven't considered the Accord V6 yet though, definitely check it out. I love mine
Old 06-01-2001, 09:38 PM

I would second stevepake's comments about the Accord, since my girlfriend drives a 2000 V6 (and I do on occasion). However, it should be noted the ride of the Maxima and Accord are different as well as the interior comforts between the Maxima and the Accord. The Maxima is more like the GTP in regards to size, and the interior of the Maxima will feel larger than that of the Accord (seats, lengh of car, width, etc).
Old 06-01-2001, 10:24 PM

one more thing, Accord vs Maxima

Originally posted by mdeal
I would second stevepake's comments about the Accord, since my girlfriend drives a 2000 V6 (and I do on occasion). However, it should be noted the ride of the Maxima and Accord are different as well as the interior comforts between the Maxima and the Accord. The Maxima is more like the GTP in regards to size, and the interior of the Maxima will feel larger than that of the Accord (seats, lengh of car, width, etc).
...oh yeah, and the stock handling of the Maxima is MUCH MUCH BETTER than the stock Accord V6 as well. Stock handling on the Accord is pretty bad and definitely not confidence inspiring, and it's definitely not "tossable." If you care about handling at all, then stick with the Maxima (stick or auto). I only cared about straight line speed and efficiency so I went with an Accord, but some handling upgrades may be on the way down the road for me

The EPA Passenger Volume of both the Maxima and the Accord Sedan are an identical of 102 cubic feet so the interior volume should be almost identical, although the perception can change from car to car.
Old 06-02-2001, 10:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I would just get a used GS400 '98-'99! Rear wheel drive and 300 hp. That is one sick puppy!

Mark