5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

SeaFoam Testimonial

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 12:20 PM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by upstatemax
Yeah, I moved to NYC three months ago and I am keeping my car upstate since I dont need it down here and cars tend to get beaten to s***t down here.
FTL

__
Old 03-01-2006, 12:26 PM

so there is no need to put it in the gas tank....only run it through the brake booster? and what is this about the crank case?

another n00b question sorry....

and progress....you were the other max at the csr cruise in towards the end of the summer....i've been tryin to figure out who it was for a long time
Old 03-01-2006, 12:29 PM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by OH2kblackMAXX
so there is no need to put it in the gas tank....only run it through the brake booster? and what is this about the crank case?

another n00b question sorry....
OMGHI2U!

You can put it in the gas tank but it will work on different parts of the motor. The brake booster method will bring you greater results. Crank case = oil.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:32 PM
It's business time.

For those of you that have added it to the crank case, how long do you run with it before you change the oil?
I was wondering that myself. I guess I'd change the oil right after doing the brake booster. So right after you shut it off, put it in the crankcase, wait the allotted 5 minutes and then after you're done running the smoke out, change it.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:46 PM

Where is the crank case?
Old 03-01-2006, 12:51 PM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by ICULookN
Where is the crank case?
For God's sake! It's where you put the oil!
Old 03-01-2006, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Progress
For God's sake! It's where you put the oil!
I've done many oil changes and never knew that was called the crank case. Obviously I didn't know, thats why I asked the question!!
Old 03-01-2006, 12:56 PM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by ICULookN
I've done many oil changes and never knew that was called the crank case. Obviously I didn't know, thats why I asked the question!!
So. I posted the answer above.

http://www.forums.maxima.org/showpos...9&postcount=43
Old 03-01-2006, 12:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Can we get a picture of this "crank case"?

JUST kidding
Old 03-01-2006, 03:44 PM
THIS IS...

Ok so since the Fluids forum doesnt get shiat for traffic Im posting this question twice, sorry.

Ok, I just got my can Of Seafoam from Autozone. I want to to this treatment now, but how long can you wait until you need to change your oil? Can I wait a few days or should I do it immediately?
Old 03-01-2006, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by alpinestars
Ok so since the Fluids forum doesnt get shiat for traffic Im posting this question twice, sorry.

Ok, I just got my can Of Seafoam from Autozone. I want to to this treatment now, but how long can you wait until you need to change your oil? Can I wait a few days or should I do it immediately?

If I do through the brake booster line I dont bother... I just do it same as normal. I guess I could do it right before I change the oil but it has never given me a problem.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:31 PM
THIS IS...

God Damn! Woohoo, I just did the seafoam treatment. Wow, its awesome my engine feels way more smooth and accelerates alot better. Some white smoke came out but not too much. So can I just pour the rest of the can into my gas tank or what?
Old 03-01-2006, 05:51 PM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by alpinestars
God Damn! Woohoo, I just did the seafoam treatment. Wow, its awesome my engine feels way more smooth and accelerates alot better. Some white smoke came out but not too much. So can I just pour the rest of the can into my gas tank or what?
Nice. Couldn't hurt.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:28 PM

don't you want to portion out the rest of the can if you're going to put it in the crank case an gas tank? i mean since it is only advised to put 1/4 of the can in throught the brake booster, would you only want to put another quarter in each?
Old 03-02-2006, 07:03 AM

Yeah, I moved to NYC three months ago and I am keeping my car upstate since I dont need it down here and cars tend to get beaten to s***t down here.
not to mention insurance is muy expensivo
i actually moved from queens into the upstate region. having a truck in nyc also kinda makes sense since the roads are torn the **** up.

anyway, i never put the stuff in my crankcase ...kinda weirds me out. dont put in the tank either, since i use the techron additive. the intake manifold application worked just fine, though.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:23 AM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by OH2kblackMAXX
don't you want to portion out the rest of the can if you're going to put it in the crank case an gas tank? i mean since it is only advised to put 1/4 of the can in throught the brake booster, would you only want to put another quarter in each?
I think with a full tank of gas it becomes diluted enough. The reason why you don't want to put a lot into the manifold is because it's getting mixed with air. Too much of it in your engine all at once and it has the potential to stall (or hydrolock but those are rumors at this point). You can put in 1/3 of a can and drive it for a few minutes and park it and do it again repeating the process if need be.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:09 AM
Chassis Freak

In order for something to hydrolock the engine it has to be #1 a liquid and #2 non-combustible. Water is pretty much the only common substance that fits this description. If water gets in the engine it can't be compressed and won't ignite so it stays liquid and the resistive force damages the engine. The ingredients in Seafoam are "100% pure petroleum" according to them so that means it's 100% combustible and there is no risk of hydrolocking an engine with Seafoam. Not speaking from experience, just from reason.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:58 AM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by VQuick
In order for something to hydrolock the engine it has to be #1 a liquid and #2 non-combustible. Water is pretty much the only common substance that fits this description. If water gets in the engine it can't be compressed and won't ignite so it stays liquid and the resistive force damages the engine. The ingredients in Seafoam are "100% pure petroleum" according to them so that means it's 100% combustible and there is no risk of hydrolocking an engine with Seafoam. Not speaking from experience, just from reason.
Yep, I hear that. Also, I've read that after you put in at least 1/4 of the can in and you stall the car out it isn't that big of a deal.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:58 AM
No More Maxipad

when i first bought my maxima it had about 80,000'ish miles on it so first thing i did was got a tune up and after a week or so i had my friend help me do the seafoam thing. a lot of white smoke came out of the exhaust and it was pretty cool haha then he took it for a drive after 10-15 minutes and the whole street was full of white smoke lol but afterwards the car ran smoother and felt better. car sounds beefier too.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by 5thgenfan
not to mention insurance is muy expensivo
i actually moved from queens into the upstate region. having a truck in nyc also kinda makes sense since the roads are torn the **** up.

My insurance would have gone up $3k a year, no thanks for a car I dont need and would rarely use down here.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:09 AM
It's business time.

My insurance would have gone up $3k a year, no thanks for a car I dont need and would rarely use down here.
One of the reasons why I will never move to NYC.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:14 AM

I put 4oz of Seafoam in the crankcase 200 miles before oil change. That's one week of driving. The engine seems to be smoother (or could be just in my head).
Old 03-02-2006, 09:20 AM

One of the reasons why I will never move to NYC.

I said the same thing till my fiance got offered a job making what we both made upstate...

We only want to stay for at most two years and if we dont like it after one year they will move us out. So we figured, hell its only one year if we dont like it and its a great job...
Old 03-02-2006, 11:44 AM

You have to do it right...

You have to get it in quick by playing with the throttle cable to keep it from stalling while you suck it up with the brake booster line then turn it off quick.
Or you can just put your thumb on the booster line before the car stalls to bring it back to life.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by MaximaPolak
Or you can just put your thumb on the booster line before the car stalls to bring it back to life.

Cheater...

I cannot do anything easy.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:52 PM

OMGHI2U!

You can put it in the gas tank but it will work on different parts of the motor. The brake booster method will bring you greater results. Crank case = oil.
yeah that's what the bottle says/different methods of putting it in clean different parts. so in about 2000 miles i'll try it in all and report findings. Also do you have to change oil only when adding it to the oil/crank case or when putting it in vaccum lines as well? does the booster method create the dirty oil or the cranck case method?
Old 03-02-2006, 07:21 PM

Crank Case Method = putting it into your oil. Therefore this would 100% make your oil dirty.

Booster line method is still disputed as to whether you need to do an oil change after or not. I wouldnt think that it would get your oil very dirty, however I did an oil-change the day after I seafoamed.

Oil Change = cheap and cant hurt, do it anyway.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:56 PM
Nightmare = Reality

I broke down and bought a can today.

roughly half went to my crankcase with some Mobil1 15w50 (yes im burning oil and it's 90F out why you ask? lol) and the other half roughly went in the tank. I only had about 1/4 tank of 89 octane, so it should be more than adequate ratio.

I just started driving around some larger roads. . .50mph, some curvies, got some decent 3/4-WOT jaunts, some throttle taps while cruising, etc.,

I would say after 50-75mi, I am seeing an improvement in responsiveness, and I'm seeing the hesitation as the tach climbed on each sucessive acceleration attempt slowly fade. Probably the octane booster so I'll reserve judgement for my next oil change. I think im gonna have to hit up our amsoil guy and get somethin thicker for the summer. hopefully i can get a good look at the oil filter afterwards.

This was a really good time for me to be doing this. I have a Cattman cat-back en route thanks to an exhaust leak, I'm already throwing an SES code for an EVAP canister valve, and It hot out and I've been burning oil. I don't expect this stuff to work miracles, but if it loosens up the chit like I've seen in some people's videos. . .then hey, I only have about 2-3k before I do a drain & refil of the crankcase, I'll drop a new filter in at the same time, and I'll only dirty up my stock B-pipe...

EDIT:: no glorious plumes of smoke to be seen, so either my engine is teh shiz clean inside or it's diluted enoug in the gas. I spent like 2h driving around looking for a place selling unleaded racing fuel. . .damn where's the TrueBlue stations when you need'em?