Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Yes,another seafoam thread but I got some questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 12:57 PM

Yes,another seafoam thread but I got some questions

Hate to start a new Seafoam thread but I have a few questions.

1) As in the other thread someone made me think about the effect of Seafoam. I have done it twice and both times it smoked like hell. But the second time I did it I started to think, is the smoke actual carbon burning or is that white smoke just the Seafoam burning off and no carbon being removed?

2) Has anyone removed the intake manifold after doing a seafoam treatment? I was wanting to take mine off and clean it because I know there has to be alot of carbon build up even though I have done Seafoam just by judging by me cleaning the TB and 2 months later cleaning it again and see the build up.
Wouldn't having a clean intake manifold make the car run at least a little smoother?
Old 09-07-2004, 02:05 PM
Getting back to his roots

For #1, I let Seafoam get sucked into a vacuum hose until the car was on the verge of dying, and had my friend shut the engine off. I let it sit for 30 min (as per what the NAPA guy said), so the Seafoam would have time to sit on the valves and other engine parts and dissolve the buildup. Then I turned the car back on and let the smokeout begin.

For #2, just use TB cleaner if you want to clean the manifold.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:53 PM

1) I did the same thing for the first part. I used the brake booster hose,let it sit for about 20 and started it up and poof, came all the smoke. Mine also was on the verge of dying but I hit the throttle alot. But, I was just wondering if it was really doing any good because a guy in another post said the smoke should be black or grey if it was carbon burning off,not white. That kinda make since.

2) I know what to clean the intake manifold with, I just wanted to know if any one has cleaned theirs. And by cleaning I mean taking the whole manifold off the engine and cleaning the inside really well.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:56 PM

SeaFoam is great, but not a miracle worker. If you're lazy like me and want some of the carbon out then use SeaFoam. If you have time on your hands then take off the manifold and clean it. SeaFoam will not completely remove all of the carbon buildup, but it does help with removing some of it.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:33 PM

Does anyone know if the intake removal is a difficult job?
Old 09-07-2004, 11:14 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Few hours of work. Sea foam doesn't really work if you ask me. It does if you add it to the gas tank as it has "octane booster" in it. It smokes in perfect white everytime you do it. I used to tell everyone to try it because I thought it worked, now I'm not so sure. Then I tumbled on the ATF in the spark plug holes and tried that many times. I noticed that the smoke would be darker on older cars and it would get whiter after smoking for a few minutes. I did this on my older car 3 times and the 3rd time the smoke was perfectly white while the first two it was still quite dirty. What does that mean? Figure it out.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:02 AM
Getting back to his roots

Originally Posted by DAVE Sz
Few hours of work. Sea foam doesn't really work if you ask me. It does if you add it to the gas tank as it has "octane booster" in it. It smokes in perfect white everytime you do it. I used to tell everyone to try it because I thought it worked, now I'm not so sure. Then I tumbled on the ATF in the spark plug holes and tried that many times. I noticed that the smoke would be darker on older cars and it would get whiter after smoking for a few minutes. I did this on my older car 3 times and the 3rd time the smoke was perfectly white while the first two it was still quite dirty. What does that mean? Figure it out.

My smoke wasn't white.
Old 09-08-2004, 02:01 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Well good for you.
Old 09-08-2004, 04:24 PM

Still looking for advice on taking off the intake manifold
Old 09-08-2004, 10:09 PM
Hooooooonda.....

It's pretty straigh forward. Just look in the how-tos or the mevi faq. Should tell you how to take it apart there
Old 10-03-2004, 11:41 AM
blacks92seAuto

Originally Posted by DAVE Sz
Then I tumbled on the ATF in the spark plug holes and tried that many times. I noticed that the smoke would be darker on older cars and it would get whiter after smoking for a few minutes. I did this on my older car 3 times and the 3rd time the smoke was perfectly white while the first two it was still quite dirty. What does that mean? Figure it out.
where is info on putting ATF in spark plug holes...and what exactly does it do?

Old 10-15-2004, 03:02 PM
Hella internets

cleaning the intake manifold helps. i did it..
Old 10-18-2004, 10:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

is the brake booster hose the best hose to suck it in from???
Old 10-19-2004, 12:18 PM
bennny

please post a picture of the exact hose PLEASE! lol :/

Old 10-19-2004, 03:15 PM
Cletus

see pic at the bottom of this thread
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=346574&page=1
Old 10-22-2004, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by XeroX
cleaning the intake manifold helps. i did it..
Did you actually take the whole intake manifold off and clean it? I have been wanting to do this for a while now,I just need some info on how to do it.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:43 PM
Horizontally opposed.

I am currently in the process of cleaning my intake. And as far as difficulty...for me its not too hard....im planning this to be a week long project so i can take my time and do a good job. But it only took me a couple hours to get everything off and I didn't know what all had to be done when i started. I have taken off the upper manifold, lower manifold, TB, IACV, and fuel rail. It is amazing how dirty everything is, and my EGR was completely plugged with carbon. I'm really curious as to how much of a difference this will make....if its noticible ill be satisfied. Anyway, gotta go finish cleaning it all....I'll post some pics and what not when i get the chance.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by mowgli29
I am currently in the process of cleaning my intake. And as far as difficulty...for me its not too hard....im planning this to be a week long project so i can take my time and do a good job. But it only took me a couple hours to get everything off and I didn't know what all had to be done when i started. I have taken off the upper manifold, lower manifold, TB, IACV, and fuel rail. It is amazing how dirty everything is, and my EGR was completely plugged with carbon. I'm really curious as to how much of a difference this will make....if its noticible ill be satisfied. Anyway, gotta go finish cleaning it all....I'll post some pics and what not when i get the chance.

Wow, brought this thread back from the dead! Funny thing is I still haven't done this and it has almost been 2 yrs. Still need/want to though. Take pics of your process and post if you can.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:40 AM
the org...not what it was

Originally Posted by Hunter11
Wow, brought this thread back from the dead! Funny thing is I still haven't done this and it has almost been 2 yrs. Still need/want to though. Take pics of your process and post if you can.
Yeah he really went all out with taking the engine apart, lets see some pics now
Old 07-22-2006, 09:18 AM
VIP Maxima

wait a minute, when we take off the brake booster hose, do we let the black hose suck up the seafoam or the plug on the manifold ?

Old 07-22-2006, 09:48 AM

When you take off the brake booster hose you then dip it into the cup of seafoam and let it suck up all of it into the manifold but don't allow the car to cut off because the RPM will drop and unless your light on the gas keeping the engine from cutting off.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:50 AM
VIP Maxima

so the black hose is connected to the manifold on the other end (firewall) ?

Old 07-22-2006, 12:54 PM

If your talking about the section that unplugs from the brake booster then yes it is connected to the manifold
Old 07-22-2006, 02:06 PM
VIP Maxima

this is funny. there is no SUCKTION from the rubber tube attached to the manifold. i think what you guys mean is to spray it into the metal plug on top of the manifold rather than spraying it into the RUBBER HOSE !

Old 07-22-2006, 07:02 PM

Go for a drive somewhere and then park the car. Disconnect the brake booster hose (blue circle in the pic above) and then turn on the car. Let the car suck in the SeaFoam little by little (if the car sounds like its about to die, just pull the throttle cable up by pushing the half moon shaped thing up). Turn off the car and connect the hose back to the brake booster. Let it sit for 20-30 mins and then go for a drive (it'll be a hard start at first and it'll smoke for a few mins)
Old 07-22-2006, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by JaTaN

Go for a drive somewhere and then park the car. Disconnect the brake booster hose (blue circle in the pic above) and then turn on the car. Let the car suck in the SeaFoam little by little (if the car sounds like its about to die, just pull the throttle cable up by pushing the half moon shaped thing up). Turn off the car and connect the hose back to the brake booster. Let it sit for 20-30 mins and then go for a drive (it'll be a hard start at first and it'll smoke for a few mins)
exactly
Old 07-22-2006, 09:16 PM
VIP Maxima

there was a video someone made and he did it a different way. he unpluged it right where the hose plugs into the manifold... samething i guess