5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

pining noice

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 09:30 AM

pining noice

today I took it to my car to my buddy that works for nissan , and he told me that I have carbon build up and thats is the reason that my car makes a noice between 1600-2000 rpm. He put my timing back to stock and he told me to get rid of the carbon buid up I have to take the spark plugs off and fill up each cylinder with mineral oil and let it sit over night. he then also told me that i have another option . He said to get a gallon of water and a vacum hose and let water run to the manifold but to me that sounds crazy I wanna know what you guys think about that?

here is where he told me to connect the vacum hose and run a gallon of water to >>>>>
Old 03-07-2006, 09:35 AM
It's business time.

WHAT?! That, if done properly, will hydrolock your engine and blow it. I suggest you buy a can of Seafoam and follow the method posted by soonerfan. Suck up 1/3 pint of Seafoam through your brake booster vacuum hose.

IB4amessofathread

EDIT: Go here

http://www.forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=346574, do this.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:40 AM

yup that water thing to me sounds really crazy. brake booster vacuum line what does that have to do with the manifold???
Old 03-07-2006, 09:43 AM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by danger300z
yup that water thing to me sounds really crazy. brake booster vacuum line what does that have to do with the manifold???
Someone else can chime in on this but all I know is that it feeds all six cylinders.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:45 AM

There is a prescribed procedure for decarboning an engine, BUT you have to know what you are doing. Yes a water rinse is used in some procedures. You CANNOT just pour any amount of fluid into the intake. A vacuum line is used to METER in naptha or equivalent (GM makes a product and I'm sure there are others) whereby it is introduced slowly with the engine running and revved, usually repeated, and left to soak overnight, followed by a start and revving to "blow" the crap out, then followed by a running at idle water rinse. Then an oil change. This can be a "violent" process and the engine does protest. I would let your friend at the dealer do it. I would like to see you use a gas additive first.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:46 AM

progress have you try this on your car?
Old 03-07-2006, 09:51 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

I would recommend using Saeafom as Sam had mentioned, but I have no idea what the hell a 'pining noice' is.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:51 AM
It's business time.

progress have you try this on your car?
Nope, but I've done plenty of research on it and I have a can of seafoam sitting in my trunk waiting to go in.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:54 AM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by P. Samson
There is a prescribed procedure for decarboning an engine, BUT you have to know what you are doing. Yes a water rinse is used in some procedures. You CANNOT just pour any amount of fluid into the intake. A vacuum line is used to METER in naptha or equivalent (GM makes a product and I'm sure there are others) whereby it is introduced slowly with the engine running and revved, usually repeated, and left to soak overnight, followed by a start and revving to "blow" the crap out, then followed by a running at idle water rinse. Then an oil change. This can be a "violent" process and the engine does protest. I would let your friend at the dealer do it. I would like to see you use a gas additive first.
Does a water rinse include a gallon of water?

ALSO MORE INFO ON SEAFOAM:

http://www.forums.maxima.org/showthr...hlight=seafoam

Old 03-07-2006, 09:57 AM

yes he said a gallon of h2o
Old 03-07-2006, 12:32 PM

I have done this procedure (it was a GM procedure) due to an emissions issue, not pinging so much. It really didn't accomplish much, and I ended up eventually "mechanically" removing the intake valve deposits only, that were really creating the problem anyway. A boroscope insp. revealed not much in the way of combustion deposits. With the water "rinse" (it's more like a steam clean in the cylinder I'm sure) I used only about a quart. You absolutely have to know what you are doing or you can hydraulic a cylinder as mentioned above.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:07 PM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by P. Samson
I have done this procedure (it was a GM procedure) due to an emissions issue, not pinging so much. It really didn't accomplish much, and I ended up eventually "mechanically" removing the intake valve deposits only, that were really creating the problem anyway. A boroscope insp. revealed not much in the way of combustion deposits. With the water "rinse" (it's more like a steam clean in the cylinder I'm sure) I used only about a quart. You absolutely have to know what you are doing or you can hydraulic a cylinder as mentioned above.
I hear you. When I was thinking about it I figured it would have to be some sort of mist. Steam makes sense. If water enters the chamber as liquid it's going to cause problems. If it's closer to a gas in terms of physical properties (I'm NO scientist) it would be healthier for the engine.

Back to the main issue: If your car is pinging it doesn't necessarily mean you have carbon deposits. But if you do have them then Seafoam is the best DIY for cleaning it out. You may have other issues that is causing the problems, however. Let us know how it all turns out.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:39 AM

well guys yesterday i try the seafom and about 90% of the pining whent away , that stuff really works . I bought another bottle and Im doing this again on my car today .
Old 03-08-2006, 08:42 AM
It's business time.

well guys yesterday i try the seafom and about 90% of the pining whent away , that stuff really works . I bought another bottle and Im doing this again on my car today .
Glad to hear it.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:02 AM

Don't put water in there unless you want to risk engine hydroshock. Use seafoam in the same manner and let it sit in there for about 10 minutes before you crank it back up and hammer on it. Seafoam will clean out carbon buildup. I also say put the rest in your gas tank and let it run through that way. Please don't put water in your brake booster line, it definately will not end well.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:06 AM

Please don't put water in your brake booster line, it definately will not end well.[/QUOTE]
lol yeah i know thats a big nono
Old 03-08-2006, 06:37 PM

For The Love Of God, Please Edit The Name Of This Thread!!!!!
Old 03-08-2006, 08:25 PM
THIS IS...

Seafoam will do the trick. Id like to re-enforce what Progress mentioned. That procedure sounds horrifying and I wouldnt attempt it at all. Seafoam will solve your problem, ask almost any 5th gen member that has used it including myself. It is christ in a can for engine cleaning.