5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

removing the shield from 02-03 fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 03:56 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Originally Posted by infiniteecho
Yes, many time I have been blinded by people's idiotic fog light modifications. People putting HID fogs in, and then people removing their shields like this.

You only think beacuse you are lighting up more area that you are getting better visibility, wait for some real fog, like the kind where you can only see a few feet infront of your car, or a heavy snow storm. You're only going to blind yourself.

If you want yellow fogs, do an IS conversion with some projectors and a 3000K HID setup.
I live in CT, I get plenty of fog, rain, and snow. You're obviously the type who likes to complain a lot about what they know a little. If you get blinded by foglights, here's a hint, stop looking at them. Watch the road. Very simple. If that doesn't work, you need to start sitting on a phone book or grow a few a inches.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Fogs, just like low beams, can blind oncoming traffic if they are not aimed correctly or if they are temporarily out of adjustment because you are hauling a ton of crap in your trunk or a full crew in your backseat...more likely what most of us experience.

Removing the shields will not cause them to automatically blind oncoming traffic because the reglector in the fog light is not just a flat mirror. There is a pattern to the lense that focuses it down on the road and disperses/fans the light across the road in front of the car.

With just my fogs on from 30 ft away, I can kneel down to grill level and not get blinded by my fogs. From inside the car, the fog light pattern has a distinct upper cut-off (similar to the lows) so there is minimal beam "spray" to blind oncoming traffic unless they are aimed incorrectly.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Rydicule
I live in CT, I get plenty of fog, rain, and snow. You're obviously the type who likes to complain a lot about what they know a little. If you get blinded by foglights, here's a hint, stop looking at them. Watch the road. Very simple. If that doesn't work, you need to start sitting on a phone book or grow a few a inches.
I know more about lighting then you ever will. I am a member of many lighting forums, I have been for years. Not to mention you probably have no idea about the physics behind reflected light (or projected light for that matter). So, becasue I know more, I know what to look for and I know when something is wrong. That is why I make suggestions on here before more too many other people do this stupid mod. This way I don't have to deal with it later outside when I am blinded by some moron thinking he is the **** with his modded fogs. Not because I am uneducated. If I didnt know anything, like you, I would be going around like you are: "LOL OMG LETS TAKE THE GLARE SHEILD OFF OUR FOG LIGHTS FOR BETTER LIGHT!!!!11one!!1 LOL"

It pisses me off when I see noobs like you driving around with HID kits in your fogs or in OE light housings designed for halogen applications only. Or doing mods like this to "increase light output." Just because *you* can see more (again this is incorrect, because you really can't in any other conditions but dry) doesn't mean it's better or any more safe for the rest of the people on the road. You are probably that guy with one headlight aimed at the trees and one aimed at the ground.

I'm going to ignore the comment about my height, since you clearly don't know me.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Maxfli
Fogs, just like low beams, can blind oncoming traffic if they are not aimed correctly or if they are temporarily out of adjustment because you are hauling a ton of crap in your trunk or a full crew in your backseat...more likely what most of us experience.

Removing the shields will not cause them to automatically blind oncoming traffic because the reglector in the fog light is not just a flat mirror. There is a pattern to the lense that focuses it down on the road and disperses/fans the light across the road in front of the car.

With just my fogs on from 30 ft away, I can kneel down to grill level and not get blinded by my fogs. From inside the car, the fog light pattern has a distinct upper cut-off (similar to the lows) so there is minimal beam "spray" to blind oncoming traffic unless they are aimed incorrectly.
I bet you 50% (if not higher) of people's headlights are aimed incorrectly on here. The same goes for a lot of other cars on the road.

The fog reflector isn't a flat mirror, but the shield is there for a reason. To direct the light into the proper part of the reflector for best visibility for you, and other drivers.

Again, my post above this one explains it, I know all about lighting, halogen, xenon, high beam, low beam, fog, LED, aux lighting, etc etc. I know how the reflectors work.

That upper cut off is going to be there regardless of the shield being there or not. That is created by the fog reflector housing. However, the glare above the fog light cut off is what is going to blind others.

Last thing, your fog light cut off should not match your low beam cut off. Your fog light cut off should be completely flat, while your low beam should have a distinct step in it, one per light.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by danger300z
i have never had any problem with on coming traffic .
You've never been flashed by someone, that doesn't meant you've not created a problem for them. Just last night, I was driving down Long St. (Not that you have any idea where that is), but it's a 5 mile street that is completely straight. I was stuck at the back of a line of what looks like 10 to 15 cars. A guy coming the other way with his high beams on drove past all of them, and not a single one flashed him. Were they all blinded? Probably just as badly as I was. But, only one person out of 10 to 15 did anything about it.

Not getting flashed != (does not equal) you not blinding others.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:39 AM
Don't you know who I am?

I know more about lighting then you ever will. I am a member of many lighting forums, I have been for years. Not to mention you probably have no idea about the physics behind reflected light (or projected light for that matter). So, becasue I know more, I know what to look for and I know when something is wrong. That is why I make suggestions on here before more too many other people do this stupid mod. This way I don't have to deal with it later outside when I am blinded by some moron thinking he is the **** with his modded fogs. Not because I am uneducated. If I didnt know anything, like you, I would be going around like you are: "LOL OMG LETS TAKE THE GLARE SHEILD OFF OUR FOG LIGHTS FOR BETTER LIGHT!!!!11one!!1 LOL"

It pisses me off when I see noobs like you driving around with HID kits in your fogs or in OE light housings designed for halogen applications only. Or doing mods like this to "increase light output." Just because *you* can see more (again this is incorrect, because you really can't in any other conditions but dry) doesn't mean it's better or any more safe for the rest of the people on the road. You are probably that guy with one headlight aimed at the trees and one aimed at the ground.

I'm going to ignore the comment about my height, since you clearly don't know me.
Firstly, I do not type or speak with acronyms like "LOL", so please do not attempt to make my IQ appear lower by impersonating me as such. It's immature, as you obviously have proven yourself to be.

Secondly, I did not tell anyone to do anything, I simply said I've never been blinded by someone's fog lights before (and I'll now add that even the HID set ups don't blind me), and I don't think removing the shield is going to blind anyone. While I am not insisting that people do this with headlights, because that definitely does cause an issue with blinding other drivers. I also don't insist people do this mod, I'm just saying I don't care if they do. It's not going to inconvenience me in any way. Fog lights aimed at the ground are NOT going to blind me.

Thirdly, you are no position to tell me about improved vision and whether or not I have it. You've never been in my car, and you've obviously don't have the same mods I do. I can't really take pictures of the before and after right now (seeing as how the modification is done), but the yellow light helps visability in alternate weather conditions such as fog, snow, and rain. I cannot, however, attest to this being the case with WHITE light, it would seem counter-intuitive to me.

Fourthly:
do an IS conversion with some projectors and a 3000K HID setup.
It pisses me off when I see noobs like you driving around with HID kits in your fogs
Stop contradicting yourself. It makes you appear to be uneducated, even though you are a self-proclaimed Einstein.

Lastly,
I agree with most your points. What you say about lighting is prima facie true. Sticking a 9000k HID kit in your fog lights is counter-productive to their purpose and has the ability to blind drivers on the road and cause a dangerous situation. However, a 55W bulb in a fog light aimed at the ground will most certainly not. You preach against it like it's the coming of Armageddeon, and it's starting to get a little ludacris. It makes you sound like a jouvenile trying to make a point because he heard it in his high-school science class. Get off your and start using a little common sense.

Oh yeah, one more thing...

Don't try to insult me. This is a forum for discussion, if you disagree with me, fine. Disagree. Don't take shots at people because they disagree with you. If you are really concerned about people doing this, go on the internet, look up so some scholarly journals, maybe some examples of people getting killed by oncoming traffic with bright fogs, find some pictures (before and after) to prove glare, danger, and ineffectiveness...
THEN post here. Until then, the whole

I know more about lighting then you ever will. I am a member of many lighting forums, I have been for years
doesn't fly. It actually sounds kind of cheesey. Think about it.

"I know more than you ever will because I read it on a forum!!!"

I think I actually respect your opinions less than I did before because of that. Should you decide to come back and take a few more childish pot shots at me (which you undoubtedly will), I will no longer respond to this already-turned-useless thread. I'm not even going to look at it. It's not worth my time, nor is it worth the space on this forum.

Good day.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Rydicule

Too long to quote, see above post.
I did not contradict myself. An HID Kit vs an OE HID setup in a projector fog lamp with a yellow lens (and or capsule) are two completely different things.

Yes, yellow fogs are going to help you, in fact I have pictures to prove that correct. They look and work far better in poor weather conditions then white light. (Again the 3000K HID bulb is a great yellow colour)

I believe you started the insults by tell me to grow some? Also, misquoted me. You left out the part about knowing the physics behind how light is reflected, the math behind how reflectors work and such [electromechanical engineering degree hard at work there]. The forums just provide a place for people to share their knowledge as well. It's no more or less accurate then Maxima.org.

Anyway, yellow fogs = good. We agree there.
However, messing with the glare shield = not good. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Even though the facts say otherwise.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:44 AM
Banned

^^ How did you manage to pull your job? Do you have CCNA?
Old 12-27-2006, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Trurida18
^^ How did you manage to pull your job? Do you have CCNA?
Me? And which job? I just changed jobs.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I thought '02+'03's have HID headlights.
I don't understand why people even need foglights, nevermind mod them.
People drive with them on no matter what the conditions, it's absurd.
Anyone with HIDs' that need foglights must have pretty poor vision.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:37 AM

Does anyone know what the appropriate method of leveling fogs is? I know HOW to adjust the beam but im not sure as to where the beam is supposed to be located...right below the low beam, couple inches, etc.. help please.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:02 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by ShIft_uR FacE
Does anyone know what the appropriate method of leveling fogs is? I know HOW to adjust the beam but im not sure as to where the beam is supposed to be located...right below the low beam, couple inches, etc.. help please.
aim them as low as possible...they dont really serve a purpose as far as lighting the road.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:36 PM
Time2go!

Mine are aimed so low they shine out the back of my car. Like Super Dupper reverse lights and so I do not blind the hell out of on coming traffic and lose all my visability in the fog / hard rain.

P.S. My fog light \\Glair Shield// is removed and has been for years. No one has flashed me for my ultra bright fogs and the light ouput is great!
I am running PIAA Xtreme White Plus. Rated at 4000K and providing 110watts, and they are bright as ****!

Hey "infiniteecho" I would love to drive to RI and blind you with my laser beem fogs,,,,So you can no longer see the web and the rest of your lighting forums.....LOL ,,,,, Lighting Forums...LMAO Sunlight.org, Turnsignals.org, trailorhomelighting.org....ROLFLMAO!

If you dont want to remove your fog \\glair shields// dont, Just shut up already.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:38 PM
Cletus

FYI, the PIAA Xtreme White Plus has a brighter appearance (because of the white color) but a lot lower light output vs stock bulbs
Old 03-20-2007, 01:44 PM
Time2go!

Thanks sooner, they look ok (close to HID) untill I get my HID fogs?
I have HID's (Like you do) so I could care less about the light output.
The fogs match the HIDs,,,,kinda?

Old 03-20-2007, 01:47 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Time2go!
Thanks sooner, they look ok (close to HID) untill I get my HID fogs?
I have HID's (Like you do) so I could care less about the light output.
The fogs match the HIDs,,,,kinda?
i have the PIAA too
they match the HIDs perfectly.
i dont care about the output either...just saying that i was surprised that the light output sucked for as bright as they look. when i installed them, i loved the look, they looked so bright. when i was driving at night, i turned them on (with headlights) and couldnt even tell a difference.

they are on in this pic and you cant see the light ouput

Old 03-20-2007, 01:49 PM
Time2go!

Look at this IDIOT! He thinks he has a SKYLINE LMAO!

Hey "infiniteecho" This is not a SKYLINE :
My 2006 Nissan Skyline 300GT V35 6MT
http://www.infiniteecho.us/pictures/

HAHAHAHA Go back to your Lighting Forums...LMAO Sunlight.org, Turnsignals.org, trailorhomelighting.org....ROLFLMAO!

Old 03-20-2007, 01:51 PM
Cletus

Look at this IDIOT! He thinks he has a SKYLINE LMAO!

Hey "infiniteecho" This is not a SKYLINE :
My 2006 Nissan Skyline 300GT V35 6MT
http://www.infiniteecho.us/pictures/

HAHAHAHA Go back to your Lighting Forums...LMAO Sunlight.org, Turnsignals.org, trailorhomelighting.org....ROLFLMAO!
actually...he is right and you are wrong
an Infiniti G35 in japan is a Nissan Skyline

http://www.nissanfanseite.de/Wallpap...-Coupe-03b.jpg
Old 03-20-2007, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
aim them as low as possible...they dont really serve a purpose as far as lighting the road.
I can only imagine your response but...i use them to help light up the road as do many others. Just wondering how they come aimed stock because ive taken these out way too many times and the aim seems to be off.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:08 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by ShIft_uR FacE
I can only imagine your response but...i use them to help light up the road as do many others. Just wondering how they come aimed stock because ive taken these out way too many times and the aim seems to be off.
if you have HIDs, you dont need the fogs to light up the road.

yours look fine
Old 03-21-2007, 06:34 AM
Time2go!

Originally Posted by soonerfan
actually...he is right and you are wrong
an Infiniti G35 in japan is a Nissan Skyline

http://www.nissanfanseite.de/Wallpap...-Coupe-03b.jpg
Ahh sorry sooner but, His car was purchased in the US and it is left side driver and says "Infinity G35" on the back. "Non-Twin Turbo"
That car is not a true Japanese imported right hand side driving Skyline.
Plus they have never been for sale in the US market. (yet) untill:
Nissan GT-R is a go for U.S.
The dream of every red-blooded automotive enthusiast is coming true. On April 12, Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. President and CEO Carlos Ghosn gave the wake up call; the Nissan GT-R is go. The production version will make its world debut at the 2007 Tokyo Motor Show. It will go on sale in Japan in Fall 2007. U.S. and Canada will follow in Spring 2008. Also a 2007

Skyline looks like this http://www.nissanusa.com/gt-r/

Old 03-21-2007, 06:37 AM
Cletus

Ahh sorry sooner but, His car was purchased in the US and it is left side driver and says "Infinity G35" on the back. "Non-Twin Turbo"
That car is not a true Japanese imported right hand side driving Skyline.
Plus they have never been for sale in the US market. (yet) untill:
Nissan GT-R is a go for U.S.
The dream of every red-blooded automotive enthusiast is coming true. On April 12, Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. President and CEO Carlos Ghosn gave the wake up call; the Nissan GT-R is go. The production version will make its world debut at the 2007 Tokyo Motor Show. It will go on sale in Japan in Fall 2007. U.S. and Canada will follow in Spring 2008. Also a 2007

Skyline looks like this http://www.nissanusa.com/gt-r/
like i said....the US Infiniti G35 is called a Nissan Skyline in Japan. There is no Infiniti is Japan. The car is mechanically the same, just has Nissan badging.
same car...different badging for different market
There are many people in the US that buy an Infiniti G35 and put on Nissan Skyline badging. There is nothing wrong with this because its correct.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:45 AM
Cletus

this is a Nissan Skyline in Japan (they are sold here as Infiniti G35)
its the SAME THING

Old 03-21-2007, 06:49 AM
Time2go!

Ok, We can agree to disagree on this one.
Question: if I add a GT-R badge on my trunk will I really get an extra 25 hp?
Do I also need to add the "Tornado Air", after my MAF. LOL (Kidding dude)

Old 03-21-2007, 06:51 AM
Time2go!

Do they make a 4 door? Just wondering..... or is the Skyline in Japan a coupe only car?

Old 03-21-2007, 06:52 AM
Cletus

Ok, We can agree to disagree on this one.
Question: if I add a GT-R badge on my trunk will I really get an extra 25 hp?
Do I also need to add the "Tornado Air", after my MAF. LOL (Kidding dude)
i agree that when you hear "Nissan Skyline" you think of the R-32, R-33, or R-34.
But Nissan decided to give that name to what we have here as an Infiniti G35.
If you dont like that, talk to Nissan.

Bottomline, that guy does have a Nissan Skyline.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:53 AM
Cletus

Do they make a 4 door? Just wondering..... or is the Skyline in Japan a coupe only car?
Nissan Skyline applies to both...coupe and sedan. The body style that we call the G35 is the Skyline.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:03 AM
Time2go!

ok, (Post 3) Obviously not even the new skylines (G35 w/e) are designated with the nomenclature "R," its "V" as you know..

but really who cares.....LOL

http://www.skylineforums.org/forums/showthread.php?t=48

Old 03-21-2007, 07:12 AM
Cletus

the CURRENT Japanese Nissan Skyline is the same as the CURRENT US Infiniti G35

the FUTURE US Nissan Skyline is not the same as the CURRENT US Infiniti G35
Old 03-21-2007, 07:59 AM

from fogs to skylines...fantastic. anyone have a pic of their lights(lows and fogs) up against a wall so i can tell the height difference?