5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Alright, whos good with electrical?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 05:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Alright, whos good with electrical?

I posted before about wiring up a new mirror and messed some stuff up, well it turned out to just be a blown fuse. Anyway, i got the wiring diagrams and instructions and wired a compass/dimming/map light mirror, and i only had a dimming before. I had to cut my current map light (i have a sunroof, the 1 button in the front) and i couldnt get it re-connected because of the way i spliced the wires. So thats the only thing that is off, the mirror works right, sunroof works as does everything else EXCEPT when i open my door, the door and trunk light go off, and when i push the rear defogger the door and trunk lights go off too. All fuses are good, and im not sure why that happens, am i going to blow something later down the road?

Update: driving it some more, the door and trunk lights are on all the time, the inside dome light doesnt turn on with the door or at all, the headlights dont work at all with the car off and neither do the power locks. Everything works fine, however, with the car running except for the dome light, and all fuses are good.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:02 AM

Sounds like your BCM (Body Control Module) is all screwed up. This module controls most of the electrical accessories in the car. If you have recently tapped/spliced into any other wiring, I would start by turning it all back to stock. Check all fuses/relays underneath dash and under the hood. This is a start, and see if these problems still happen.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:53 PM

Ok another question, if i dont get this fixed by next tuesday im going to have to take it in since i dont know what to do, now would it be the best idea to go to the nissan dealer, or, from a sales mixup i have a fairly large service credit at a chevy dealer(where i bought the car) is that a bad idea since they wont know jack about the maxima electrical system? Or is it pretty standard?
Old 03-26-2006, 06:28 AM

Nothin huh?
Old 03-27-2006, 05:57 AM

Ok all underhood fuses are good and all the ones under the dash too, does anyone know if its because EVERYTHING has to be hooked up right for the car to run right? If this was the case then cars would mess up when you tried to install a system too. Like has anybody ever had to drive with say the window switch or the radio or dome light disconnected(not my case, just the map light is off and the mirror is hooked up)
Old 03-27-2006, 07:58 AM
Suspension Yoda

The way that cars are wired are funny. If you disconnect something, the relays can very well be connected to something else. I the recommendation to return ALL wiring back to stock. If you can't reconnect it, solder and add some more wiring.

Come to the audio forum if you're looking for more in-depth wiring help.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:04 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by carsarecool
does anyone know if its because EVERYTHING has to be hooked up right for the car to run right?
for interior lights, yes.

Originally Posted by carsarecool
If this was the case then cars would mess up when you tried to install a system too.
no, because when you install a stereo everything that gets disconnected gets reconnected.