5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

So I found out why I need a new MAF sensor.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 07:31 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

So I found out why I need a new MAF sensor.

Wire's too short to repair
Old 03-31-2006, 08:00 AM
Mass_Media™

What do you mean the wires are to short? All expect that yellow wire it isn't even connected
Old 03-31-2006, 08:01 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

All you'd need to do is splice a new 12AWG wire there, solder, and be done...
Old 03-31-2006, 08:02 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

The yellow wire broke off at the sensor.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:04 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

That short?
Old 03-31-2006, 08:11 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
That short?
Unfortunately, yeah. The picture is a bit misleading. Maybe 1/8" at the most.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:15 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Well, if you're not doing anything with that sensor, mail it out to me and I'll restore the lead for you. Just cover the shipping.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:18 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

I'm probably just going to have Nissan cover it under my extended warranty, so I most likely won't get the sensor back.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:40 AM
Banned

There is nothing wrong with the sensor, its the connector that has the wire broken. Replacing the sensor won't change anything.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jime
There is nothing wrong with the sensor, its the connector that has the wire broken. Replacing the sensor won't change anything.

Good catch!!!
Old 03-31-2006, 08:43 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

Originally Posted by Jime
True, but I've been having a bit of hesitation, so this is a perfect time to just get a whole new setup on Nissan's dime.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by SEmy2K2go
True, but I've been having a bit of hesitation, so this is a perfect time to just get a whole new setup on Nissan's dime.
My feeling is the stealership is not going to replace them even if under warranty, they could always say you monkeyed with the wires and it snapped!!!

Just get prepared for the tough questions.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:13 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

I have a good relationship with my dealership, and have had a few issues taken care of under my exteneded warranty for over 2 years. I'm not even 1 bit concerned about them asking any questions.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have a good relationship with my dealership, and have had a few issues taken care of under my exteneded warranty for over 2 years. I'm not even 1 bit concerned about them asking any questions.
There are no friends when it comes to stealerships, GET ready for tough Questions.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Love_00_Max
My feeling is the stealership is not going to replace them even if under warranty, they could always say you monkeyed with the wires and it snapped!!!

Just get prepared for the tough questions.

Originally Posted by max929
There are no friends when it comes to stealerships, GET ready for tough Questions.

WTF are you guys talking about? harnesses are too short on a regular basis. its not an everyday thing, but i repair them every once in a while. i never asked any questions. i fix the damn car.

tough questions, lol.

"running rough, eh? hmm... what brand and caliber was the gun used by john wilkes booth to assasinate abraham lincoln?"

ya, lol.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by BewstAdd1ct
WTF are you guys talking about? harnesses are too short on a regular basis. its not an everyday thing, but i repair them every once in a while. i never asked any questions. i fix the damn car.
Man I hope there was a person like you in the Bay Area, CA.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:16 PM

just remember, the dealership doenst get paid by warranty unless they find something to fix. in a flat-rate system, if they dont find anything, the tech doesnt get paid, the advisor doesnt get paid, and no money comes to the dealer, which hurts the service managers 'numbers'

it is in their best interest to fix the problem. unless they can PROVE beyond a reasonable doubt that the wires were messed with, theyll have a hell of a time denying warranty. all the time and effort they spend arguing, it time that could have been spent fixing a car/writing another ticket, etc...
Old 04-05-2006, 08:23 PM

tough questions, lol.

"running rough, eh? hmm... what brand and caliber was the gun used by john wilkes booth to assasinate abraham lincoln?"

I was thinking of some asinine questions too. Perfect timing...
Old 04-05-2006, 08:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Please Help!

My max is running sluggish. What does everyone recommend for degrees of timing?15?16?

Also what mods should I do?My max is stock. Thanks people.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:54 AM

A .41 caliber Philadelphia Derringer, of course! Single shot, at that, so you know he was kinda wacked out. Now, back to why my car keeps catching fire while driving over bridges with a crosswind...
Old 04-06-2006, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by 2002MAXSEAUTO
My max is running sluggish. What does everyone recommend for degrees of timing?15?16?

Also what mods should I do?My max is stock. Thanks people.
First, you should never set your timing that low. Always set timing as high as humanly possible. I suggest at least 37* ATDC (after top dead center). That way, once the piston has already made it to the top and has started down, you can then give it a little boost with the combustion.

Second, you should raise your Max using a lift kit. I know it sounds crazy but a Ford Bronco kit will fit right under it, or at least the springs and shocks will. Just replace the struts with the shocks and the springs with the other springs. It will ride so much better and handle really great.

Third, get a new exhaust system. I would recommend a 1 1/2", mandrel bent, mild steel piping system. Replace the cat with one of those you can get on eBay and use glass packs at the back. You can simply heat up a pipe and make yourself another opening at the rear bumper by melting it for dual exhaust tips.

Fourth, make sure you put an Injen intake on it. No matter what people tell you, it works great, especially if you get a longer down-pipe. Just make sure the filter is almost touching the road. That will give you maximum cold air and maximum ramming effect.

Fifth, get one of those electric superchargers. I wish I had told you to do that first but I just didn't remember.

Sixth, get some of those gauges and pods to go all over the interior. Get an exhaust temp monitor, an A/F monitor, an oil pressure gauge, and most importantly, get a boost gauge for that electric supercharger. You're going to need it!

Seventh, go out and get about 30 cans of octane boost and pour them all into your tank when its on about 1/4 or less of a tank. This will give you maximum performance after you've gotten your timing adjusted and the rest of the mods.

Once you get all that done, come back and ask more in someone else's thread about their MAF. We'll all know it's you and jump to help you out!

Just messing with you but you're going to be burned for thread jacking...
Old 04-06-2006, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Barc

Wow that was a long way to go to get there...but very very funny!
Old 04-10-2006, 02:08 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Germain Nissan resolved my MAF sensor issue and it was covered under my extended warranty. Picking the car up tomorrow after they replace my stuck caliper.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:01 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

So, this is how they "repaired" my wire issue while it was at Nissan since Monday. Just picked it up today.

See this thread to see how they messed up my new wheels.

Old 04-15-2006, 11:07 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Ugh. Disgusting and pathetic.

Are you going to let them get away with that?
Old 04-15-2006, 11:08 AM
Kevlo for President

So, this is how they "repaired" my wire issue while it was at Nissan since Monday. Just picked it up today.

WTF is that? I dunno if Nissan USA would give a damn but I would send them that pic so they know what their dealers do,.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:09 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
Ugh. Disgusting and pathetic.

Are you going to let them get away with that?
I'll be speaking with the service manager on Monday about how they f'd up my new wheels and gave me back the wrong lugnuts, so this "repair" will also be mentioned.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:01 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

I'll be speaking with the service manager on Monday about how they f'd up my new wheels and gave me back the wrong lugnuts, so this "repair" will also be mentioned.
Good luck, Timbo...there is no excuse for "work" such as that.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:13 PM

My 3 year old son can do nicer work than that. The guy must have not had his drink yet.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:13 PM

My apprehension of dealerships cannot be more re-emphasized looking at what they have done to the sensor.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:23 PM

Old 04-15-2006, 07:26 PM

Is this pic off a Ford or a Chevy?
Old 04-17-2006, 07:28 PM
Pointy Elbows

My god, that's horrible Tim. Give 'em hell.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:37 PM
is invisible

That ain't cool.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Barc
First, you should never set your timing that low. Always set timing as high as humanly possible. I suggest at least 37* ATDC (after top dead center). That way, once the piston has already made it to the top and has started down, you can then give it a little boost with the combustion.

Second, you should raise your Max using a lift kit. I know it sounds crazy but a Ford Bronco kit will fit right under it, or at least the springs and shocks will. Just replace the struts with the shocks and the springs with the other springs. It will ride so much better and handle really great.

Third, get a new exhaust system. I would recommend a 1 1/2", mandrel bent, mild steel piping system. Replace the cat with one of those you can get on eBay and use glass packs at the back. You can simply heat up a pipe and make yourself another opening at the rear bumper by melting it for dual exhaust tips.

Fourth, make sure you put an Injen intake on it. No matter what people tell you, it works great, especially if you get a longer down-pipe. Just make sure the filter is almost touching the road. That will give you maximum cold air and maximum ramming effect.

Fifth, get one of those electric superchargers. I wish I had told you to do that first but I just didn't remember.

Sixth, get some of those gauges and pods to go all over the interior. Get an exhaust temp monitor, an A/F monitor, an oil pressure gauge, and most importantly, get a boost gauge for that electric supercharger. You're going to need it!

Seventh, go out and get about 30 cans of octane boost and pour them all into your tank when its on about 1/4 or less of a tank. This will give you maximum performance after you've gotten your timing adjusted and the rest of the mods.

Once you get all that done, come back and ask more in someone else's thread about their MAF. We'll all know it's you and jump to help you out!

hahahah that was great!

but yea.. what kind of fix is that? is it that hard to solder and heat shrink?
Old 04-18-2006, 01:22 AM

extended warranty..only the best from nissan. Wow thats insane. Make sure to get them to replace the whole thing. WOW
Old 04-18-2006, 01:45 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

I stopped by Germain Monday morning right after work and talked with the service writer and the service manager. I walked them both out to my car and showed them the damage to the wheel along with the mis-matched lugnuts. I also expressed my concern over the quality of the "repair" to the MAF sensor. I also discussed the misdiagnosis of the passenger side caliper issue and the manager stated that they would get it resolved as soon as possible. When I mentioned that I hoped it wouuld not take another week to get a new caliper in stock, he mentioned that it shouldn't have taken a week to get the first one. This also did not make me very pleased. So at this point, my main concerns are:

1. Getting the passenger side caliper replaced (under warranty)
2. Having the damaged wheel either repaired or replaced
3. Not having more damage done to the first wheel or any others
4. Having them replace the MAF sensor and associated wiring

The manager mentioned that if I contact EdgeRacing for the missing lugnuts, they will reimburse me (we'll see) When we discussed the damage to the wheel, the excuse I got was extremely pathetic, "We work on so many cars, that eventually something like this will happen to a few here and there". He basically tried to play it off, but I mentioned that if a tech was working under the hood of the car, had a wrench in his hand, closed the hood and accidentally scraped up the hood, would they be responsible for that? He said they'd take care of the wheel issue...again, we'll see I do still have my '06 Limited Edition 2.5L Altima with all the good features. Nice sound system (some sort of upgrade) and the sunroof. Forgot how much I miss having one of those.

I'll keep you all updated as the work progresses on my car.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:50 AM
Pointy Elbows

Tim, make sure you do lots of burn outs with that Alti before you give it back.