5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Cattman/Hotshot (Rant)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 11:36 AM
Mass_Media™

Thanks for chiming in Brian. To give you a history, ive had this catback for a year and a half. Its been through two harsh winters already so its not really the catback that i have a problem with I think it was more that the hanger broke off after only a couple months. that really made me mad and i was just finding stuff wrong with my car at the time. I didn't mean to disrespect you or your product because you make a great product, with great customer service.

To update no call back from hotshot. The header is still strong. so maybe next year i need to get a beater for winter.

Thanks for the lesson brian....
Old 04-19-2006, 11:56 AM

Email John instead. He responds better that way. Or keep calling until someone picks up and ask for him.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:06 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mass_Media
Thanks for chiming in Brian. To give you a history, ive had this catback for a year and a half. Its been through two harsh winters already so its not really the catback that i have a problem with I think it was more that the hanger broke off after only a couple months. that really made me mad and i was just finding stuff wrong with my car at the time. I didn't mean to disrespect you or your product because you make a great product, with great customer service.

To update no call back from hotshot. The header is still strong. so maybe next year i need to get a beater for winter.

Thanks for the lesson brian....

Heck, no offense taken so no apologies are warranted. I can see why you'd wonder about this stuff, unless you're pursuing an engineering degree or advance welding certification, I don't know where you'd be exposed to the relative metallurgical properties of various s/s alloys (they sure don't teach this stuff in the public schools).

I'm not looking at those pictures right now, but did I observe correctly that the hanger on the header was tubular rather than a solid rod? We're always looking for ways to improve our parts over time, and it might be a good idea for Hotshot to use a solid piece of rod stock there instead of a tubular piece - wouldn't have broken if that was the case. I suspect the coating didn't get inside of that and it rusted from the inside out - or, because the hanger is subject to flexing, the brittle coating (its basically a thin layer of glass) fractured and allowed moisture and road chemicals to penetrate.

Obviously you'll have to do some welding repair there; a knowledgeable welder will know that its necessary to grind the ceramic coating back from the welding surfaces - you can't weld to silica! Unfortunately, that leaves you exposed to further corrosion unless you get it re-coated.

NOTE: I just remembered that we have a case of HPC Hyperwash spray bottles, which is sold by HPC Coatings as a spray-on cleaner for ceramic coated parts (it works on any brand). You HAVE TO clean the road chemicals off all winter, at least weekly, and this spray makes it a lot easier. We got this stuff when we were selling the HPC-coated headers from New Zealand, but we have little need for it now after converting to s/s. If anyone would like a bottle of cleaner (for next winter, I guess) just let us know, we'll sell them for $10 + postage.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 04-19-2006, 12:48 PM
Toolie

Not the best place to ask this, but- Brian I emailed over a week ago to get a quote on headers and shipping. I got the thanks for the email autoresponse and I am still waiting. I called the 1 800 number from your website and was told the call could not be connected. How can I get a quote for the 03 headers and shipping to Canada?
Old 04-19-2006, 01:42 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
Not the best place to ask this, but- Brian I emailed over a week ago to get a quote on headers and shipping. I got the thanks for the email autoresponse and I am still waiting. I called the 1 800 number from your website and was told the call could not be connected. How can I get a quote for the 03 headers and shipping to Canada?

I don't know why, but some of the email being sent to us doesn't seem to be getting through, and until the new site is up there's some bad information on the old one (that we can't even get into).

We can be reached at 800.759.9920, which is on the site, between 10-5 PDT/MST, M-F.

As far as headers go, we're waiting for production to resume after giving up on the SoCal company that did the re-design because they couldn't produce them quickly enough. The very reliable company that makes our catbacks will be taking that over, and we expect them to be available by the latter half of May. I expect the opening price to be $799/set. Since I don't know the weight or, more importantly for these calculations, the box size, its not possible to accurately quote shipping costs to Canada at this time.

I'll mention that we're accepting header orders right now, and if you'd like to secure a place in line, give us a call. We will take all the information we normally would for an order (including CC info), and we consider it a commitment to buy the product (though of course you could always cancel), but we will not charge any CCs until the parts are ready to ship.

Thanks for your interest, sorry for the delayed response. Linking back to the previous discussion, I'll point out that we'll be using 16 gauge T304 stainless tubing for this part and the flanges will be cold-rolled carbon steel plate (not s/s), 3/8"-1/2" thickness.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 04-19-2006, 02:18 PM
Toolie

I tried calling that number today and it would not connect me for some reason.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:54 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

I tried calling that number today and it would not connect me for some reason.
That's a mystery, our 800.759.9920 # is definitely working, I tried it myself just now. It should connect from anywhere in the US, though it may not work from Canada. Our regular phone # is 520.575.6195 in case there's an issue with the 800 line. Most of us have cell phones that call long distance for free, so that shouldn't be too much of a burden.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 04-19-2006, 03:17 PM
Toolie

Ok, Thanks Brian. I would like to place an order but I have some issues with UPS. So I am also wondering who you would ship these headers with. My preffered methos is USPS due to the fact there is a chance it will sneak by customs, But fedex seems to be a good method as well since they only charge 7 bucks plus the necessary taxes. Somehow I don;t thin USPS would be able to ship something this big. If you could contact me when you find out weight size etc. it would be appreciated. PM or email is fine. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:41 PM
But why is teh Rum gone?

Originally Posted by Cattman
I don't know why, but some of the email being sent to us doesn't seem to be getting through, and until the new site is up there's some bad information on the old one (that we can't even get into).

We can be reached at 800.759.9920, which is on the site, between 10-5 PDT/MST, M-F.

As far as headers go, we're waiting for production to resume after giving up on the SoCal company that did the re-design because they couldn't produce them quickly enough. The very reliable company that makes our catbacks will be taking that over, and we expect them to be available by the latter half of May. I expect the opening price to be $799/set. Since I don't know the weight or, more importantly for these calculations, the box size, its not possible to accurately quote shipping costs to Canada at this time.

I'll mention that we're accepting header orders right now, and if you'd like to secure a place in line, give us a call. We will take all the information we normally would for an order (including CC info), and we consider it a commitment to buy the product (though of course you could always cancel), but we will not charge any CCs until the parts are ready to ship.

Thanks for your interest, sorry for the delayed response. Linking back to the previous discussion, I'll point out that we'll be using 16 gauge T304 stainless tubing for this part and the flanges will be cold-rolled carbon steel plate (not s/s), 3/8"-1/2" thickness.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance

*GASP*

Brian, you have a 3rd generation of headers coming out!

Yeah those fabricators pwned you... glad you got rid of them.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:55 AM

I think they are the same design. Brian is just using a different manufacturer.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:03 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Ok, Thanks Brian. I would like to place an order but I have some issues with UPS. So I am also wondering who you would ship these headers with. My preffered methos is USPS due to the fact there is a chance it will sneak by customs, But fedex seems to be a good method as well since they only charge 7 bucks plus the necessary taxes. Somehow I don;t thin USPS would be able to ship something this big. If you could contact me when you find out weight size etc. it would be appreciated. PM or email is fine. Thanks in advance.

Yes, I prefer using USPS for shipments to Canada for the same reasons, but we can't send a box that exceeds a length + girth total of 84". This rules out all of our catback boxes. I'll send you a PM with the details.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 04-20-2006, 11:11 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by rbrown81
*GASP*

Brian, you have a 3rd generation of headers coming out!

Yeah those fabricators pwned you... glad you got rid of them.

I would not refer to the upcoming production as a third generation header set. The second generation design carries over, although we've made some minor changes for the purpose of production efficiencies. However, since these changes also make the 3-1 collectors flow a little more efficiently, there should also be a slight gain in performance. We try not to forget that there is always room for improvement...

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 04-20-2006, 05:18 PM
The Ultimate Driving Machine

Jeez Ben what were you thinking??? Driving your car in the snow. I hope you get ahold of hotshot soon.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Back from the dead.

My hotshot hanger broke off too. I have to give them a call.

James
Old 06-23-2006, 09:44 AM
vsamoylov

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Mine has a single hanger (rod) that fits where the stock y-pipe did.

they look soo nice. cant wait till mine come in

Old 06-23-2006, 02:49 PM
Mass_Media™

Originally Posted by jimmycapp
Back from the dead.

My hotshot hanger broke off too. I have to give them a call.

James
I never got an email or call back. Just FYI. Good luck if you get a hold of them give me a jingle
Old 06-26-2006, 08:27 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by vsamoylov
they look soo nice. cant wait till mine come in

We appreciate the patience of anyone who has backordered, and it's our cautious expectation that we'll be shipping out new headers before the end of July.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance