5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Ceramic or Semi-metalic to stop warping rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 01:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ceramic or Semi-metalic to stop warping rotors?

I have read 100s of posting on this forum related to brake problems and warped rotors. A LOT of people have stated that rotors "warp" because crappy brake pads "deposit" a lot of crap on the rotors under heavy braking.

I currently have almost new OEM Nissan Brake pads. I have heard a lot of bad reviews on them as well and since i will be doing some brake work on my car, i am thinking if i should replace the OEM pads with another brand. I want something that will "deposit" less on the rotors and at the same, it will stop my car fast, with no fade and NO NOISE!!!

I am looking at various Ceramic and Semi-metalic pads? Which kind would be better for the rotor health? Ceramic or Semi-metalics?

More specifically, i am looking at PBR/Axxis Metal Master XGB, Hawk HPS, Raybestos QuietStop, Beck and Arnely ...

Any recommendations? What would keep my front rotors smooth and happy??

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2006, 03:17 PM
retired moderator

Hawk HPS...most people (including me) who have them have not had the pad deposit issues...
Old 05-08-2006, 03:31 PM

ceramic pads
Old 05-08-2006, 03:34 PM

Are Hawk HPS ceramic pads?

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2006, 10:28 PM
I'm watching you, boy...

The HPS are a composite material... click me
Old 05-09-2006, 09:09 AM

I went with the Axxis Ultimate Ceramic pads along with D/S rotors when I did my brake upgrade and loved the setup. Excellent stopping power, very little brake dust and ran them for 50K until I sold the car. I would use them again, although a number of folks on the Org, flamed them!

I would definitely look at some type of ceramic pads. The brake fade is reduced dramatically and the little dust that they create, is light grey in color and barely shows up on your wheels.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:47 PM
ABC

I have run Quietstops on my '98 Max from 65k up to it's current 138k with excellent results. Definitley some dust, but not enough to bother me!

I will probably put these on the 2k1 AE max I am about to purchase as well.

Jake

Originally Posted by bvenvert
I went with the Axxis Ultimate Ceramic pads along with D/S rotors when I did my brake upgrade and loved the setup. Excellent stopping power, very little brake dust and ran them for 50K until I sold the car. I would use them again, although a number of folks on the Org, flamed them!

I would definitely look at some type of ceramic pads. The brake fade is reduced dramatically and the little dust that they create, is light grey in color and barely shows up on your wheels.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by boondoxmax
ceramic pads

ONLY ceramic pads
Old 05-11-2006, 05:35 AM

Ceramics stopped my problems.... after the dealer turned the rotors and installed stock pads under warranty.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:48 AM

Cermaic pads on OEM rotors on both my 5.5 Gens and never had a warping problem. Like its been said, rotors don't warp, the metallic piece in the pads come off and become attached to the rotors cause the vibration you feel when stopping. With ceramics you won't have that problem...........
Old 05-11-2006, 10:47 AM

Actually rotors do warp from excessive heat. And I don't think theres any way that the metal in the pads is getting hot enough to weld itself to the rotor surface. Differences in pad material are what determine the amount of heat transfered into the rotor while braking. The ceramic material used in pads transfers less heat then metal material. I've warped stock rotors on my talon with full organic pads. If you are warping rotors consistently it is due to an undersized braking system for your driving style. I see A33B's day in and day out at the dealership here without warping issues.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:55 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Originally Posted by 9DTALON
Actually rotors do warp from excessive heat. And I don't think theres any way that the metal in the pads is getting hot enough to weld itself to the rotor surface. Differences in pad material are what determine the amount of heat transfered into the rotor while braking. The ceramic material used in pads transfers less heat then metal material. I've warped stock rotors on my talon with full organic pads. If you are warping rotors consistently it is due to an undersized braking system for your driving style. I see A33B's day in and day out at the dealership here without warping issues.
You need to research brakes more before spreading misinformation.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:58 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

If you want to learn more about the myth of 'disc warping' check out: http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml
Old 05-11-2006, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by mtrai760
You need to research brakes more before spreading misinformation.
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-11-2006, 11:30 AM

I switched from Nissan OEM pad (not the Key Value crap) to Raybestos QuietStop about 40K ago. Very happy. Brake pedal is firmer, modulation is better, and smoother. Don't know about other brands.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:51 AM

I read this top to bottom, and no where on this do I see where they explain the reason for rotors getting thinner with normal even pad wear. And please explain to me then how rotors are warped by organic pads, containing NO metal content. According to this info even rotor and pad wear would lead to increased rotor thickness. I don't think we should overlook the fact that this a post from a brake parts supply company. Trust me I have lots of first hand experience resurfacing, replacing, diagnosing, and repairing other peoples poor work on brake systems. No matter what you all say I don't buy that warped rotors are caused by deposits only. I believe that they occur but not adding up to .004" of deposits.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:27 PM

i have PBR/Axxis Ceramic pads on now and not happy with how bad they dust. I am switching back to OEM with brembo rotors.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by 9DTALON
I read this top to bottom, and no where on this do I see where they explain the reason for rotors getting thinner with normal even pad wear. And please explain to me then how rotors are warped by organic pads, containing NO metal content. According to this info even rotor and pad wear would lead to increased rotor thickness. I don't think we should overlook the fact that this a post from a brake parts supply company. Trust me I have lots of first hand experience resurfacing, replacing, diagnosing, and repairing other peoples poor work on brake systems. No matter what you all say I don't buy that warped rotors are caused by deposits only. I believe that they occur but not adding up to .004" of deposits.
Thining rotors have nothing to do with warping. Like I said the particles that come of the semi-metallic pads get inbedded in the rotors causing the pulsing. Under sized rotors usually cause long braking distance not warping.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:29 AM

I understand what you are saying, but explain to me then how my fully organic axxis pads warped a set of Bendix rotors? Is it leaving organic material on the surface of the rotor? Another question I have is this. Why is it then that when cutting a rotor with a noticable pulsation that the "high" spot on the face of the rotor is always opposite the "low" spot on the back of the rotor. If the "deposits" could form anywhere wouldn't they occasionally line up with one another or only form on one side of the rotor. I'm not trying to feed fuel to the fire, but this is the first time on any car site that I have ever read anything like this before. And in my school training, brake courses (Basic and advanced) this was never discussed. Just trying to better understand. Knowledge is power.
Old 05-13-2006, 04:51 PM

Continuing this brake discussion, while trying to boost my post count so I can post my own thread...

I'm currently shopping for a 5.5 Maxima and on some of them, I see the brake rotors look like they have circles of rust on them-- that with the OEM brake quality issues that have been spoken of already-- and I am wondering if I could use that to leverage the price down further. I want to know if this is actually a problem (the rust circles) or if it is simply unsightly. I like to think I am smart enough to admit I am ignorant about brakes (and lots of other things), so educate me!

I would ultimately want to change out the brakes anyway, because I would like better looking brakes-- like the ones in my old 300zx Twin Turbo. Thanks guys!
Old 05-14-2006, 12:41 AM

hawk hps ftw
Old 05-14-2006, 02:01 AM

A motorweek segment said that ceramic dust will not corrode
your wheels as semi-metallic may depending on wheel type.