5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2K2 Intake Mods to report

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 06:26 PM

2K2 Intake Mods to report

Though I would report some findings to the org after mods to my factory air box setup.
  • New paper element from auto parts store $8. The Fram that was in the box was cracking at the rubber seals and is a POS.
  • Removed baffle from backside of filter housing by the MAF and the baffle on top of the main air intake near the hood intake area. I plugged the baffle by the MAF using a PVC pipe cap and some rubber tape. Plugged the other hole with a rubber cap. This was intended to add a little more sound to the factory air box.
  • Cut bottom off of round down tube in the same intake area right behind the radiator. This is a 3.5 inch dia plastic extension. I connected a piece of 4" dryer hose to it and ran it down to the lower splash shield on the bottom of the car. There' s an open space by the trans in that area.

I plan to add a high flow panel filter next.

Compared to the Weapon R intake, it's quiet ( duh ) and I have all my low end back again. Removing the baffles did almost nothing to the sound. I only hear a bit more growl under certain throttle positions when the motor is loaded and not in a lower gear, like when accelerating up hill. Otherwise removing them seems to have done NOTHING.

I feel a bit of added power around 5000rpm according to the super accurate butt O' meter, but it's hardly noticable.

In short, I would not bother with the baffles - go with the other GAB mods on this forum if you want more sound ( the coat hanger setup ).

The jury is still out on any additional power from adding the dryer hose after cutting off the bottom of that 3.5" down tube. This mod would seem to add more breathing capability over the puny factory slots in the front intake box above the radiator core support.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:31 PM

:

wheres the pics?