5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by E55AMG2
Did the nissan dealer do the flash? it is supposed to be free, and if you dont have the AM-600 MAF meter, they are supposed to replace yours with one. Replacing the MAF alone will not solve your lack of power issue. If your car is indeed running lean, it wont be missing power...the lack of power in these cars comes from too much fuel choking the engine.

If you really want to solve this problem, please take my advice.

PS: I was the donor for the TS ecu back in 2003...nothing their programming does will fix what is wrong with your car.
Thanks man but I called Nissan about that TSB and even though they located it correctly, they mentioned that I would have to pay $112 for the troubleshooting fee before they apply the TSB if it needs it. Shouldn't I be able to take my car in and find out if it needs the TSB at no charge and have it done at no charge too?

Thanks,
Old 03-17-2009, 12:44 PM

Did the nissan dealer do the flash? it is supposed to be free, and if you dont have the AM-600 MAF meter, they are supposed to replace yours with one. Replacing the MAF alone will not solve your lack of power issue. If your car is indeed running lean, it wont be missing power...the lack of power in these cars comes from too much fuel choking the engine.

PS: I was the donor for the TS ecu back in 2003...nothing their programming does will fix what is wrong with your car.
Originally Posted by capframe
Thanks man but I called Nissan about that TSB and even though they located it correctly, they mentioned that I would have to pay $112 for the troubleshooting fee before they apply the TSB if it needs it. Shouldn't I be able to take my car in and find out if it needs the TSB at no charge and have it done at no charge too?

Thanks,
I just called Tustin Nissan right now and they said " We looked up the VIN # and your 2003 Maxima was not part of the recall so we can't do anything with that TSB "
Old 03-17-2009, 12:47 PM
Wat

Thanks,
Sounds pretty standard to me...more or less the dealer is trying not to be out a few hundred bucks by doing work that your car may not really need. Granted, you've been there before and they know the car but thats generally how it's done. Now, you could always try another nissan dealer. If you do, please be as courteous and quiet as possible and you'll probably end up getting the work done for free or very little. You know the old saying...you'll catch more flies with honey
Old 03-17-2009, 12:54 PM
Wat

I just called Tustin Nissan right now and they said " We looked up the VIN # and your 2003 Maxima was not part of the recall so we can't do anything with that TSB "
My maxima was a 2003, produced in may of 03. It has the AM600 maf that technically omits it from the recall. However, the reflash is what you need...not the MAF sensor. It looks like you've burned your bridges over at your dealer. My advice, either pony up the 1 hour of labor and solve your problem or take it to another dealer that is not familiar with you and speak with the service manager about getting the flash done under the TSB.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:58 PM

Thanks,
no charge if the car is under warranty but otherwise they will charge you for it i believe.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:01 PM
Wat

Originally Posted by denny_1986
no charge if the car is under warranty but otherwise they will charge you for it i believe.
Generally a TSB is supposed to be free of charge. The problem in his case is twofold. 1) the car isnt listed due to the MAF it comes equipped with 2) it seems that he went in there and caused a ruckuss, which from my experience, never goes over well and lingers long in memory
Old 03-17-2009, 01:05 PM
No more Maximas...

Generally a TSB is supposed to be free of charge. The problem in his case is twofold. 1) the car isnt listed due to the MAF it comes equipped with 2) it seems that he went in there and caused a ruckuss, which from my experience, never goes over well and lingers long in memory
TSBs are only free if you're within the warranty period, recalls are always free.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:10 PM
Wat

Originally Posted by pmohr
TSBs are only free if you're within the warranty period, recalls are always free.
I know 3 members on this board that had it done, free of charge out of warranty. It's the dealer's call as to whether or not he wants to absorb the cost. In all 3 cases they were; 2003s, out of warranty, and modified (intake), and had AM600 MAF sensors. You'd be surprised what you can get by pleading your case nicely.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:12 PM
No more Maximas...

obv
I know 3 members on this board that had it done, free of charge out of warranty. It's the dealer's call as to whether or not he wants to absorb the cost. In all 3 cases they were; 2003s, out of warranty, and modified (intake), and had AM600 MAF sensors. You'd be surprised what you can get by pleading your case nicely.
True, there's always obviously the possibility of the dealer doing it for free, but I wouldn't go in there counting on it.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:18 PM

Question, I just put on my 18 inch rims for the season and i think the tires are a lil small and there is a nice gap in the front, would it be stupid to have a shop cut a coil of my stock springs also stock struts, i do want to get aftermarket springs and struts but only wanna do the front and not touch the rear section..please help
Old 03-17-2009, 03:01 PM

Ok thank you all for your advice,
I will go to a different dealer and since I already got the MAF I will ask for the most up to date flash for the 03 Maxima and see what happens.

Thank you,
Old 03-17-2009, 03:05 PM
Wat

Originally Posted by TheOnlyMax88
Question, I just put on my 18 inch rims for the season and i think the tires are a lil small and there is a nice gap in the front, would it be stupid to have a shop cut a coil of my stock springs also stock struts, i do want to get aftermarket springs and struts but only wanna do the front and not touch the rear section..please help
Do not use cut springs, they are unsafe. The same goes for torched springs. You can run aftermarket springs on stock struts, just make sure to get a set that does not drop the car more than 1".
Old 03-17-2009, 03:15 PM

I will go to a different dealer and since I already got the MAF I will ask for the most up to date flash for the 03 Maxima and see what happens.

Thank you,
What if the dealer tells me I already have the latest code on the 03 Maxima ECU? Is there a chance that I may have the ECU updated already on my car or it is a fact that none of the 03 Maximas have the latest ECU unless requested. I just want to have the confidence to nicely ask the dealer to provide latest update in case they try and say that the ECU is fine and doesn't need an update?
Old 03-17-2009, 03:24 PM
Wat

What if the dealer tells me I already have the latest code on the 03 Maxima ECU? Is there a chance that I may have the ECU updated already on my car or it is a fact that none of the 03 Maximas have the latest ECU unless requested. I just want to have the confidence to nicely ask the dealer to provide latest update in case they try and say that the ECU is fine and doesn't need an update?
I very much doubt that you do, however if you ask nicely for TSB: NTB03-023 (Lack of Power/Hesitation) flash to be done...I dont think they will have any problems. If anything, offer to split the hour of labor with them. That can go a long way.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:39 PM
And... I'm out

I guess E55AMG2 has volunteered to answer every and all questions in the thread since other's answers are not up to his standard...

answering the question of "would it be stupid to have a shop cut a coil of my stock springs" with

"yes cutting your springs is stupid and most shops wouldn't do it"

is bad, and not informative...

obviously I as a poster should have read his post and created my own question out of "I do want to get aftermarket springs and struts but only wanna do the front and not touch the rear section.." to mean that he wanted information about aftermarket parts versus just making a random statement in his post...
Old 03-17-2009, 04:08 PM

quick qs
what causes the rear end of our maximas (on stock shocks/springs) to sag? Is it cuz of bad shocks or bad springs?
Old 03-17-2009, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by denny_1986
quick qs
what causes the rear end of our maximas (on stock shocks/springs) to sag? Is it cuz of bad shocks or bad springs?
Springs or a very fat chick in your back seat.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by jdm0830
car died after getting the new battery. i just replaced the alternator like 2 months ago, and it was a pain in the ***. anybody can shine light on a better procedure on replacing the alternator.

Juan
bump on this, reason why is...last time we had to undo two motor mounts and jack the engine to get to the dam alternator!! easier way then that?

Juan
Old 03-18-2009, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by jdm0830
bump on this, reason why is...last time we had to undo two motor mounts and jack the engine to get to the dam alternator!! easier way then that?

Juan
4th gen writeup but it should be the same for 5th gens..
http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/500
Old 03-18-2009, 05:35 PM

I very much doubt that you do, however if you ask nicely for TSB: NTB03-023 (Lack of Power/Hesitation) flash to be done...I dont think they will have any problems. If anything, offer to split the hour of labor with them. That can go a long way.
I will go to the dealer and since I already got the MAF I will ask for the most up to date flash for the 03 Maxima and see what happens.

Thank you,
I had the dealer perform the TSB: NTB03-023 (Lack of Power/Hesitation) flash and the problem of acceleration power reduced by 30% and rare hesitation on flooring acceleration is still there.

but I'm glad that I did the update anyways, thanks to all in Forum & E55AMG2 for helping me along.

Anyone have any further ideas to troubleshoot this. Thank you.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:55 PM

Hey does anyone have a 02 Sitllen front lip (classic) for sale. Also i want to buy some projector lights with the black housing. Does anyone want to sell these or know where i can get them from?
Old 03-18-2009, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by oski H
Hey does anyone have a 02 Sitllen front lip (classic) for sale. Also i want to buy some projector lights with the black housing. Does anyone want to sell these or know where i can get them from?
you'll have more luck posting/searching in the 5th gen classifieds..
Old 03-18-2009, 10:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Cold Air Intake

03 SE- What type of Cold Air Intake's should I be looking at? I want to buy one but I don't know which brand is the best.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by jmh3939
03 SE- What type of Cold Air Intake's should I be looking at? I want to buy one but I don't know which brand is the best.
i pmed you..i have the injen intake...sounds bad ***!
Old 03-19-2009, 05:58 AM

Question - was the 2000 Maxima available w/ a 6-speed manual? I always thought the 6-speed didn't come out until 2002, but I'm arguing with someone who swears his 2000 had a 6-speed. Googling leads me to believe that I am correct, but I can't find anything that decisively says that the 6-speed wasn't available in the 2000 model. Can I get some confirmation that I'm correct?
Old 03-19-2009, 05:59 AM

he has a 5speed or he needs to prove to you that there is a transmission swap..no 2000's came with a 6spd
Old 03-19-2009, 06:40 AM

Thanks. He didn't do any mods, so he must be confused. I appreciate it.

Oh yeah, and...ooh-rah, devil.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by rdcisneros3
Thanks. He didn't do any mods, so he must be confused. I appreciate it.

Oh yeah, and...ooh-rah, devil.
Unless he considers reverse the 6th speed?.....
Old 03-19-2009, 09:29 AM

I had the dealer perform the TSB: NTB03-023 (Lack of Power/Hesitation) flash and the problem of acceleration power reduced by 30% and rare hesitation on flooring acceleration is still there.

but I'm glad that I did the update anyways, thanks to all in Forum & E55AMG2 for helping me along.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:25 AM
Wat

How long ago did they replace the precats? They could have melted again...
Old 03-19-2009, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by jmh3939
I also have an Injen CAI and love it. Great sound! When I punch it people turn heads for sure. I also noticed a bit more power. Make sure to get the K&N Filter cleaning kit as well.

This was my first engine mod. Headers going on next week. Gonna cost me $600 for the install... ugh.

I sure as hell can't do it myself though, so whats a man to do?
Old 03-19-2009, 10:43 AM

Clear HL blinker

I really want to get rid of the ugly amber/orange blinkers in my 02 headlight.

I saw somewhere that you're supposed to put the headlight casing in the oven. Is there another way? Or is everyone baking theire casing to put a clear lens in?

Seems like a scary tactic
Old 03-19-2009, 12:57 PM

For the members who adviced me and my last question, Thank You. Im lookin to buy a chrome billet grille i noticed a couple members have it, does any1 know how to remove the stock off a 2002, i dont wanna pay for install. i looked and still not sure??
Old 03-19-2009, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by tookrzy4u192
you'll have more luck posting/searching in the 5th gen classifieds..
I tried to however it said i didnt have permission to start a thread. Any ideas why?
Old 03-19-2009, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by TheOnlyMax88
For the members who adviced me and my last question, Thank You. Im lookin to buy a chrome billet grille i noticed a couple members have it, does any1 know how to remove the stock off a 2002, i dont wanna pay for install. i looked and still not sure??
I'll be the first to say I'm no mechanic in any way, shape, or form and I had an easy time removing my 02 grille and installing my grille-tech black mesh.

The grille should come with instructions but you should be able to get the stock one off easily. I think there's about 4-6 bolts and that's it.

Not sure how a billet grille would go on though. With grille-tech they just give you zip ties.

If I can do it... you can do it. Promise
Old 03-19-2009, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by oski H
I tried to however it said i didnt have permission to start a thread. Any ideas why?
There was a minimum 15-post rule before you can start a thread when I was a newbie. If it is still in effect, that could be the reason why.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:47 PM

How long ago did they replace the precats? They could have melted again...
About 8 months ago but last time the precats were messed up an check engline light came on and such but this time no lights whatsoever, as far as the car's computer is concerned my car's perfectly fine,

any ideas? Thanks.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Tenzos

I just purchased a 2000 GLE and have come across a set of tenzo r rs 5 17x7.5 rims. I'm curious as to how these would effect my ride quality, and performance. Can anyone share there experience of going from stock to 17 inch racing rims.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:07 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Sampsonite
I just purchased a 2000 GLE and have come across a set of tenzo r rs 5 17x7.5 rims. I'm curious as to how these would effect my ride quality, and performance. Can anyone share there experience of going from stock to 17 inch racing rims.
The rims don't really have anything to do with ride quality, the tires affect that.

How heavy are they with tires? That'll give you an indicator of any performance loss there might be.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:16 PM

If I have loose sway bar endlinks, would that cause the car to seem like it wants to steer itself depending on the contour of road? I know the crown of the road has something to do with it but I could be on a mostly flat road with just some uneven surfaces or bumps and the car seems like it tries to steer itself. Or what problems would loose endlinks make me encounter?

Last edited by ridinwitha35; 03-19-2009 at 04:27 PM.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread