5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 10:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Looking for a little bit of help. I have a 5th gen SE 6spd and i need to change the exhaust due to it having a hole in it. I am looking for a new one that would sound like the G35. Any ideas?
Old 03-18-2010, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by jerz0787
I have a couple of questions and also a couple of problems with my 2000 Maxima . First of all for some reason when I am either about to park, or trying to make a u-turn, or coming out of a parking whether going forward or reverse my car shuts off and the battery, brake, and oil lights turn on. I have to turn off the car and turn it on again quickly in order for me to move but sometimes it turns off several times in a row. I've been told it can be a problem with my relays, or a ground wire, or some other things can anyone please tell me what might be the cause? Also my car has this weird problem where sometimes not always when I am accelerating and right around 20 mph the car kinda shakes the rpm's go way up and it only stops when I let go of the gas. I had a couple of places look at it one said I need to rebuild my transmission others said i just need to change a few sensors. I need to know what the problem is because it is really annoying, can anyone give me some advice?
Sounds like a mass airflow sensor... Any codes?
Tons of topics use the search...
Old 03-18-2010, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by FireJoe
Looking for a little bit of help. I have a 5th gen SE 6spd and i need to change the exhaust due to it having a hole in it. I am looking for a new one that would sound like the G35. Any ideas?
Sound like a G35 sedan or a G35 coupe?

Do a search for "exhaust sound," "exhaust recording," and you'll find threads with links to videos and recordings of what their exhausts sound like, along with how they built it. They'd help you out.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks
Old 03-18-2010, 04:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 03kodiak
Sounds like a mass airflow sensor... Any codes?
Tons of topics use the search...
There were a couple of codes originally when I first took it to Aamco they are: P0141 O2 Heater, P0720 Output speed sensor, P1760 Over run clutch, P0740 TCC Solenoid, P2745 Line Pressures. I had an o2 sensor replaced and some other sensor but I can't remember what it's called. It doesn't do it all the time when I hit 20 mph now but it still does it a few times usually on an incline. I have no idea what may cause the car to shut off when I'm parking or tryna make a u-turn. I'm learning little by little about cars in general so idk what a mass airflow sensor does, could you explain it to me plz?
Old 03-18-2010, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by jerz0787
There were a couple of codes originally when I first took it to Aamco they are: P0141 O2 Heater, P0720 Output speed sensor, P1760 Over run clutch, P0740 TCC Solenoid, P2745 Line Pressures. I had an o2 sensor replaced and some other sensor but I can't remember what it's called. It doesn't do it all the time when I hit 20 mph now but it still does it a few times usually on an incline. I have no idea what may cause the car to shut off when I'm parking or tryna make a u-turn. I'm learning little by little about cars in general so idk what a mass airflow sensor does, could you explain it to me plz?
It's your torque converter not unlocking sounds like, causing your car to stall. The P0740 is the code for the torque converter solenoid.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:12 PM

maxima 2000 halo lights

ok i havent tried yet but my borther tried to install it and for some reason the halo lights are the only ones that light up and the actual light doesnt unless you put it on high beam.. am not sure if thats how its suppose to be soooo if anyone got the proper instructions on how to install it id be gratefull. i plan on trying tomorow
Old 03-18-2010, 05:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

set the new guy straight

tried searching for these answers with no success but hope they can be answered here.

1. Whats difference between 5th gen and 5.5 gen?

2. Will 2000 seats direct bolt into 2002?

thank you 5th gen gods.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Youngblood37
tried searching for these answers with no success but hope they can be answered here.

1. Whats difference between 5th gen and 5.5 gen?

2. Will 2000 seats direct bolt into 2002?

thank you 5th gen gods.
2000-2001 has A 3.0l V6, 2002-2003 has 3.5l

Both have a slightly different front grill and interior, i.e. slightly different clusters and shift console.

Yes, 5th Gen seats will bolt into 2002.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:09 PM

Here's my quest... I have a 02 6spd and my clutch is just about done, I have the usual bolt ons... exhaust, cai, high flow cat and soon to be added headers and y pipe...what's a good clutch upgrade that I can use or what's everybody rockin out there with similar modes??? Any suggestions are appreciated, Thanx. "D"
Old 03-19-2010, 12:30 AM

Parting out 03 Maxima GLE

I am new and want to post a thread... I am parting out an 03 Maxima GLE and want to find out how to post a thread. It will not allow me to.

If anyone needs parts or pictures let me know.

AL 609-941-4501

I am Located in South Jersey 08031
Old 03-19-2010, 04:35 AM

will the a/e edition body kit fit on an 02? without changing the bumpers?
Old 03-19-2010, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by bigakphilly
I am new and want to post a thread... I am parting out an 03 Maxima GLE and want to find out how to post a thread. It will not allow me to.

If anyone needs parts or pictures let me know.

AL 609-941-4501

I am Located in South Jersey 08031
You need to have at least 15 posts. By the 16th post you should be able to start a new thread. When you do, if you still want to start with your part out sale, you should post in the "5th generation classifieds (2000-2003)" forum.

Last edited by Nelsito65; 03-19-2010 at 06:01 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:40 AM

Post away and then let us know when your part out has been posted!
Old 03-20-2010, 04:27 PM

maxima air intake

i just installed a weapon r intake on my 2000 maxima and was wondering if i need to unplugg the battery for a set amount of time to the fuel air ratio can adapt or something like that..
Old 03-20-2010, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by embitious
i just installed a weapon r intake on my 2000 maxima and was wondering if i need to unplugg the battery for a set amount of time to the fuel air ratio can adapt or something like that..

No.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Noob problems

So I just bought a 02 Maxima 3.5 6 speed. I Love everything about the car however i bought it with check engine light on and it was throwing an evap code. So i was under the impression that more than likely it was gonna be a gas cap. Well i replaced that and no such luck. I wasn't so worried about it but I was gettin on it the other day and she has a mis when i start to lay into the gas. Its not when i give it normal gas or even when i wind it out but when i put the peddle down it kinda falls over itself and then takes off. Any suggestions?
Old 03-20-2010, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by 02max6speed
So I just bought a 02 Maxima 3.5 6 speed. I Love everything about the car however i bought it with check engine light on and it was throwing an evap code. So i was under the impression that more than likely it was gonna be a gas cap. Well i replaced that and no such luck. I wasn't so worried about it but I was gettin on it the other day and she has a mis when i start to lay into the gas. Its not when i give it normal gas or even when i wind it out but when i put the peddle down it kinda falls over itself and then takes off. Any suggestions?
by replacing EVAP CANISTER and VENT CONTROL VALVE should fix the problem.

To prevent any re-occurrence of this problem
when you fill your gas tank and the pump clicks and stops, do you round up to the even dollar? like $65.85 to $66? this causes over flow which goes into the over flow hole, it's no good for the canister.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:26 PM

So what do you think of the intake? I am looking at one my self. Worth the money?
Old 03-21-2010, 01:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

hello every one, i would like to start off by introducing myself... my names mina, im 19 and i got a 2000 nissan maxima se... i have had the car for about 3 years now.. its an auto.. im tired of driving auto so i need your help !! summer time is almost here and i want a tunner.. from what i read and seen maximas are pretty nice.. idk tho i know a lot more about 240's.. i would like to keep my maxima because i never see a turbo charged one.. its a sleeper.. for those who are pretty good at this and been in in this game i would like some feedback... should i swap my tranny ? and get all the additional parts ? give me some feedback please... thanks...
Old 03-21-2010, 01:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by evalyn
I never have a problem starting my car first thing in the morning. However, throughout the day, if I'm running errands, the car becomes hard to start. When I turn the key, the engine tries to turn over several times before catching.

Recent alternator and battery tests at Autozone showed no problems with either. Is there a more in-depth way to check the battery than the ~90 second test the Autozone employee tried? What else should I consider?
i had the same problem with my max... it usually happened when the car was cool or like you said 1st thing in the morning.. it would turn off for a few times... give it gas then turn off.. ect.. the problem is the MASS AIR FLOW SENSIOR.. when i replaced that the car ran smooth and turned on every morning without any problems.....
Old 03-21-2010, 11:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

by replacing EVAP CANISTER and VENT CONTROL VALVE should fix the problem.

To prevent any re-occurrence of this problem
when you fill your gas tank and the pump clicks and stops, do you round up to the even dollar? like $65.85 to $66? this causes over flow which goes into the over flow hole, it's no good for the canister.

Thanks for the help i will try to replace those. I do top it off when i fill up so I will def stop doing that.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:34 PM

I will not top off my tank from now on. That is really a nasty habit everyone has. Really nothing to be gained by topping off.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by efanatic
So what do you think of the intake? I am looking at one my self. Worth the money?
yea definitely worth it.. u can notice the difference in acceleration and power plus theres a nice roaring sound.. very kool
Old 03-21-2010, 07:12 PM

yea definitely worth it.. u can notice the difference in acceleration and power plus theres a nice roaring sound.. very kool
THANKS!
My maxima is my project this year. I hope to transform this GXE into something better. Hope to lower it and make it run better/faster . The first thing was getting a better radio(got a double din dvd player with navigation and some rockford 6½ for the door and a rockford 12inch P3 running off a 500watt amp) Next will be suspention as my struts are blown then onto the good stuff(performance) A CAI will be on the list of mods(one of the first things I will get)

One question for everyone. From what I have read the Y pipe is where to get the performance out of the 2ks. What kind of perormance might I be looking at getting ? Also where to get one(of course at the best price)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks
Old 03-22-2010, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima27
i had the same problem with my max... it usually happened when the car was cool or like you said 1st thing in the morning.. it would turn off for a few times... give it gas then turn off.. ect.. the problem is the MASS AIR FLOW SENSIOR.. when i replaced that the car ran smooth and turned on every morning without any problems.....
I replaced the MAF already, and my problem is still occurring.

Originally Posted by homeyclaus
If it cranks fine and the battery stays charged, your base electrical system (the battery and the alternator) is probably fine.

Not catching is either fuel, spark, or air. Soooooo:

1. Check air filter
2. Check codes
3. Try a fuel injector cleaner additive, and if it persists, try a different brand of gas.
4. Check mileage and see if it's time for new plugs, or close.
5. Some people get better behavior out of their cars when they clean the MAF (what the rest of the car world calls an air mass sensor). There are write-ups on how to do that.
Homey, I had a K&N air filter, and per your suggestion, I replaced it with a normal paper type to see if it would help. No go. I checked for codes; none. I used a bottle of FIC to no avail. The car has 114K right now, and I changed the plugs at 90K. And as I wrote above, I replaced the MAF in December.

What's the next step in diagnosing the problem? Idk if this is related, but at a stoplight yesterday, I noticed the car shakes when at a stoplight.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by evalyn
I replaced the MAF already, and my problem is still occurring.

Homey, I had a K&N air filter, and per your suggestion, I replaced it with a normal paper type to see if it would help. No go. I checked for codes; none. I used a bottle of FIC to no avail. The car has 114K right now, and I changed the plugs at 90K. And as I wrote above, I replaced the MAF in December.

What's the next step in diagnosing the problem? Idk if this is related, but at a stoplight yesterday, I noticed the car shakes when at a stoplight.
How bad is the shaking? Most cars will have some sort of noticeable vibration in the steering wheel at idle - where it becomes severe is subjective. Mild shake ("I know the car is running") is one thing. Outwardly missing, like one cylinder does not fire, hesitation at throttle take-up, and so on are another thing, but in a Maxima those will generally cause the ECU to post a SES.

If you're having a rough idle that's not affecting driveability but is annoying, and all of the above is okay, no codes, anything, I would start looking for a vacuum leak. Something popped off, got crushed, or something and started letting air in where it's not supposed to go in.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:54 AM

turn signal LED

so the LEDs for my front turn signals only click in when lighting is dim
the dont stay down when they are put in the bright way.do i have to just switch the wires around or is it like that for a reason?

dim picture

bright pictre

LED source:superbright leds.com
BA15 4watt led (white) 1157-w3x1w

thanks, Jason
Old 03-22-2010, 11:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Anyone know a good site to get a shift **** for a 02 maxima 6spd with reverse lock? Looked at alot of sites on google and found a TWM but its like 130.00 bucks.

Last edited by FireJoe; 03-22-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:27 PM

ok so i think i figured out my problem, stupid me...it goes from dim to bright so it can blink bright when i turn. problem is that they blink twice as fast. so i need a relay? what size would i need? does anyone ever answer these?
Old 03-22-2010, 01:23 PM

"MAXIXA" logo came off during carwash...

I went thru the carwash today and it knocked off the "I" in Maxima. I don't have the missing piece. Can you buy this somewhere and super glue it on? What's the best way to fix it? Thanks guysv

Old 03-22-2010, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by DCUnited10
I went thru the carwash today and it knocked off the "I" in Maxima. I don't have the missing piece. Can you buy this somewhere and super glue it on? What's the best way to fix it? Thanks guysv

you can go on ebay or a nissan dealership. dont use superglue, get the oem glue
Old 03-22-2010, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by arcueda
ok so i think i figured out my problem, stupid me...it goes from dim to bright so it can blink bright when i turn. problem is that they blink twice as fast. so i need a relay?
You have one, or your turn signals would not work.

The issue is that you need a blinker relay with different resistance (since there is a capacitor in that assembly that times the blinking). Some people use a resistor instead.

see http://forums.maxima.org/general-max...sher-unit.html

Came up in search using "LED turn signal blink" as search terms. There are more.

what size would i need?
I didn't search that long, and read even less. There are probably some standard types, of which you'll need one.

does anyone ever answer these?
Judging by the posts above, quite possibly.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by DCUnited10

Do as some of us has done, remove them all. I took a heat gun on low heat and some fishing line and took that crap right off.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:19 PM

thanks homey
Old 03-22-2010, 03:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey there. I've just picked up a 2001 SE 20th Anniversary and have a couple of questions:

1) The previous owner installed an amp & sub in a box in the trunk. I need the trunk space! Are there any subs that will install in the Bose rear-deck mount without any fabrication? As far as I know, it's an 8" sub, but I've read lots of conflicting info. I'm having a hard time finding free-air subs that seem small enough. Not looking for boom, just to fill out the sound.

2) The drivers and passenger windows have a hard time going up without a hand. They wobble from front to back. What parts should I be looking at ordering the fix this problem?
Old 03-23-2010, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Polluted
Hey there. I've just picked up a 2001 SE 20th Anniversary and have a couple of questions:

1) The previous owner installed an amp & sub in a box in the trunk. I need the trunk space! Are there any subs that will install in the Bose rear-deck mount without any fabrication? As far as I know, it's an 8" sub, but I've read lots of conflicting info. I'm having a hard time finding free-air subs that seem small enough. Not looking for boom, just to fill out the sound.
You'll probably need to take out what's there and measure it to make sure someone did not take a hacksaw to the mounting deck. On the FAQs if you look under "how to fix Bose rear sub cutting out" you'll see pictures of what the setup is supposed to look like.

If it's not been hacked up, it may be worth a trip to the wreckers to see if there is a Gen 5 Maxima there with a Bose sub in the back - and don't forget the amp and all the other stuff to go with it.

2) The drivers and passenger windows have a hard time going up without a hand. They wobble from front to back. What parts should I be looking at ordering the fix this problem?
First step is to apply slilcone spray lube to the rear guide rails. If that only helps a little, apply some more to the in-door moving parts. It's possible that if the windows have been operated a long time without maintenance that the motors have started to wear out, but replacing those is mucho $$$.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by homeyclaus
You'll probably need to take out what's there and measure it to make sure someone did not take a hacksaw to the mounting deck. On the FAQs if you look under "how to fix Bose rear sub cutting out" you'll see pictures of what the setup is supposed to look like.

If it's not been hacked up, it may be worth a trip to the wreckers to see if there is a Gen 5 Maxima there with a Bose sub in the back - and don't forget the amp and all the other stuff to go with it.
I actually have the entire Bose system that the previous owner had removed. I don't, however, want to use the Bose sub but want to put a more capable sub where the Bose one should be situated.

Are there any aftermarket subs that will fit in the Bose bracket and that will work free-air?

First step is to apply slilcone spray lube to the rear guide rails. If that only helps a little, apply some more to the in-door moving parts. It's possible that if the windows have been operated a long time without maintenance that the motors have started to wear out, but replacing those is mucho $$$.
I'll give that a try this weekend. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:46 PM

I just got two codes (can't remember what the numbers are) but they are for Bank 1 and Bnak 2 camshaft sensors. I know that it is an easy repair but anyone have any visuals as to where they are located?
Old 03-23-2010, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by cleanfil
I just got two codes (can't remember what the numbers are) but they are for Bank 1 and Bnak 2 camshaft sensors. I know that it is an easy repair but anyone have any visuals as to where they are located?

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread