5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by FireJoe
Mark, I tried that site lastnight and i did all the steps and then i put my headlights on only the right side went on with the parking lights. Is this still the same if the car has HID stock lights.

Joe
You spliced into the wrong side of the wire it sounds like. It doesn't matter if you have HID fogs or not. I can't access that how-to site from here at work, so I can't tell you exactly what wire you got wrong.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:52 AM

clutch line help

ok i jus got my ss clutch line from importtunr. i was gonna go swap it out, but before i pop off my intake, i have a question first.fast response would be nice, but no rush it just started snowing out fml.
ok.....
this is the clutch line i ordered:

quick diargram i drew:

will my new line replace A and B or just one?
shouldve checkled before i bought it obviously, but it looks like A is the one that needs replacing.

THANKS!
Old 03-04-2010, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by arcueda
ok i jus got my ss clutch line from importtunr. i was gonna go swap it out, but before i pop off my intake, i have a question first.fast response would be nice, but no rush it just started snowing out fml.
ok.....
this is the clutch line i ordered:

quick diargram i drew:

will my new line replace A and B or just one?
shouldve checkled before i bought it obviously, but it looks like A is the one that needs replacing.

THANKS!
That line should replace part A. The clutch master cylinder uses flare nut fitting, which that line doesn't have. The clutch slave uses a banjo fitting which that line does have.

When I replaced my line, I used the version which directly connects the master to the slave to avoid the over-complicated OE arrangement.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by 2slow
That line should replace part A. The clutch master cylinder uses flare nut fitting, which that line doesn't have. The clutch slave uses a banjo fitting which that line does have.

When I replaced my line, I used the version which directly connects the master to the slave to avoid the over-complicated OE arrangement.
ya mine went, so i orderd one immediatly.then i got reading a little bit since ive been wating for delivery and realzed there were 2 different kinds.one the cuts out the connection between a and b. right? wich i dont have...seemed like it would be a stretch.but it is the A line nad not the B line correct?
thanks again
Old 03-04-2010, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by dnice02
hi guys i have a 02 max and my auto tranny has been slipping for awhile now and its about time for a new one. my question is can i upgrade to a different auto. also i know that the manual swap has been done several times on the vq30 but has anyone done it successfully on the 3.5with the 6spd. also i was wondering if it would be easier to swap to an altima 5spd manual or it wont fit? thanks in advance.
can someone help me please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-04-2010, 06:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 2slow
It is not a normal situation for any car. Do you have the alignment numbers (sheet)?

It sounds like the toe is off, really off.
I do, I'll take a picture and upload it.

Originally Posted by foodmanry
Not a common problem. Negative camber should not cause this unless it is uneven on either side of the front end. Sounds like you have another issue. If the car did not do this before you installed the tokicos and springs I would suspect the springs or struts are on the wrong side.
Definitely not on the wrong side, I'm a details kind of guy. The camber was slightly off on the right.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Need 2001 ECM. I need help!
I am trying to fix our babysitters car. Thought it was going to be a quick fix..IACV. To no avail, her ECM is totally fried. I need a ECM for a 2001 Maxima w/ AT and I dont think it has Trac Control. I will be disconnecting the engine mounts and replacing the IACV and TPS.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited by mike1856; 03-04-2010 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by mike1856
Need 2001 ECM. I need help!
I am trying to fix our babysitters car. Thought it was going to be a quick fix..IACV. To no avail, her ECM is totally fried. I need a ECM for a 2001 Maxima w/ AT and I dont think it has Trac Control. I will be disconnecting the engine mounts and replacing the IACV and TPS.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
There was a member here who posted contact information for a guy who will repair your ECM for cheaper then buying another one. It was within the last 2 weeks too I believe. I'm having trouble searching for it right now. If I find the post, I will post it here.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:19 AM

hey guys!! i got a question about removing some scratches from my car.. here are the picks.. i read that i can polish some of them off but idk which type of polish to use..

here are the pics..

and i have this dent in the trunk that is annoying and i was wondering what options do i have to fix it? (i know that bringing it to a body shop is one but im trying to save money)

thanks guys!
Old 03-05-2010, 05:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

do any one know how to program a 2001 max remote?
Old 03-05-2010, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by sean2001
do any one know how to program a 2001 max remote?
1. Programming Procedure:

A. Get in the vehicle. Close and lock all doors using the driver's power door lock-unlock switch.

B. Insert and remove the ignition key more than 6 times within a 10 second period (at a rate of one insertion/removal cycle per second). The key should be withdrawn from the ignition key cylinder completely each time it is removed.

NOTE : Do not rush the insertion/removal key cycling process.

C. Turn the ignition key to the "ACC" position. The ignition key should remain in the "ACC" position throughout the remainder of the programming, including programming of additional remote controllers.

D. Press any button on the remote controller one time.

NOTE : Do not press the button more than one time in the above step. If the button is pressed more than one time, the programming procedure will not be successful.

The hazard warning lights will flash twice when this step is accurately completed and programming is successful. For 2000 Quest vehicles, the side marker/tail/license lamps will flash twice when programming is successful.

E. If you are programming only one remote, proceed to step 3A. If programming additional remotes, continue with step 2A, below.

2. Programming Additional Remote Controllers (Maximum of 4 Remotes):

A. Remain inside the vehicle after programming the first remote.

B. Use the driver's power door lock-unlock switch to unlock and then lock the doors.

C. Press any button on one of the additional remote controllers one time.

NOTE : Do not press the button more than one time in the above step. If the button is pressed more than one time, the programming procedure will not be successful.

The hazard warning lights will flash twice when programming is successful. For 2000 Quest vehicles, the side marker/tail/license lamps will flash twice when programming is successful.

If there is more than one additional remote to be programmed, repeat steps 2A through 2C above for each additional remote.

3. End Programming:

A. Remove the key from the ignition.

B. Use the door lock-unlock switch on the driver's door to unlock the doors. Open the driver's door to complete the programming

C. Check the operation of each of the remote controllers by locking/unlocking the doors with each remote controller you have programmed.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:27 AM

Hey guys,
I have a few noob questions that you guys may can answer.
all for 02 max se
1. Im looking to tint everything (headlights included) Ive done it many times but not on her max. Can I replace the hid bulb only for brighter like 6-8 k or do I have to do balace and all.
2. Ive got a popping noise on the front end when i hit bumps.
3. changed trans fluid at 50k and now has 100k what should I use and any help on how to do this.
4. I did not know the car needed premium gas well now I do. What can be expected from reg to prem.
5. Im looking at doing a vias delete mainly because im pulling a code for this. Will it be a good mod and will the ses light go off.
6.Are there any computer tuners for these cars. Im not looking for crazy power since its a auto trans and I hear there not the best at holding power.
7. If a cut the resinator on the exhaust with a factory muffler, any sound diff or power to be had.
8. I have factory bose and would like to know why when I plug a aux in to it the sub doesnt work but with radio it does.
9. What can I expect to pay to have my plugs changed ( dealer or shop).
10. The car had a short ram intake when i got it. The filter opening the part that connects to the tobe is huge like 5 inches. Im looking for a filter. I would also like to trade it for a factory air box setup if anyone wants it.

Iknow there are alot of questions but you guys seem to know what the hell your doing.

Last edited by 02maxdd; 03-06-2010 at 09:30 AM. Reason: question
Old 03-06-2010, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by 02maxdd
Hey guys,
I have a few noob questions that you guys may can answer.
all for 02 max se
1. Im looking to tint everything (headlights included) Ive done it many times but not on her max. Can I replace the hid bulb only for brighter like 6-8 k or do I have to do balace and all.
The higher the kelvin rating the Dimmer/bluer/more purple the lighting will become which is useless & ugly.4100-4300k is the brightest you will get.The ballast mod will be your best bet.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey i have a 2000 maxima n my trans blew i cant find a 5spd trans anywere wanted to now if i can put a 6spd trans from a 3.5 on my 2000 max insted of a 5spd?
Old 03-06-2010, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by memphisballer
The higher the kelvin rating the Dimmer/bluer/more purple the lighting will become which is useless & ugly.4100-4300k is the brightest you will get.The ballast mod will be your best bet.
I run the 6k in my 08 sierra and they are great. There a little blue but not bad. Whats the Ballast mod. I buy from ddm tuning and they sell just bulbs.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:44 PM

I would also like to know how to take the side markers out. i searched but nothing.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by 02maxdd
I would also like to know how to take the side markers out. i searched but nothing.
look at the manual on the manuals section for the 5th gen. there is an explanation on how to remove almost all the lights but to remove the side markers u need a cloth and a screwdriver and pop it out.. but look at the manual so u know exactly where to put the screwdriver..
Old 03-07-2010, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by pepox369
look at the manual on the manuals section for the 5th gen. there is an explanation on how to remove almost all the lights but to remove the side markers u need a cloth and a screwdriver and pop it out.. but look at the manual so u know exactly where to put the screwdriver..
thanks
Old 03-07-2010, 08:47 AM

where is the best lace to buy ball joints
Old 03-07-2010, 03:01 PM

Installing headunit

I installed my head unit (Kenwood DDX7019 with KNA-G510 navi) the head unit seems to be working fine...DVD and such are working on it too but for some odd reason my navigation doesn't turn on ? or even have an option for me to click on it does anyone know anything about this to help...i've looked around on the net but didnt find anything ...
Old 03-07-2010, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Nismo215
I installed my head unit (Kenwood DDX7019 with KNA-G510 navi) the head unit seems to be working fine...DVD and such are working on it too but for some odd reason my navigation doesn't turn on ? or even have an option for me to click on it does anyone know anything about this to help...i've looked around on the net but didnt find anything ...

Is it something you need to tap into your blue power antenna wire for, in order for it to turn on?
Old 03-07-2010, 03:29 PM

i wouldn't really know because there's only 4 wires that comes out from the navi, its black,red,yellow and light green, and i have the light green connected to the ground wire from the headunit and i have the black grounded already...by the way i got this off of my friend and he had this set up like that in his 350 and it was working fine until i wired it into the max, would the light green be the problem you think?
Old 03-07-2010, 07:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
1. Programming Procedure:

A. Get in the vehicle. Close and lock all doors using the driver's power door lock-unlock switch.

B. Insert and remove the ignition key more than 6 times within a 10 second period (at a rate of one insertion/removal cycle per second). The key should be withdrawn from the ignition key cylinder completely each time it is removed.

NOTE : Do not rush the insertion/removal key cycling process.

C. Turn the ignition key to the "ACC" position. The ignition key should remain in the "ACC" position throughout the remainder of the programming, including programming of additional remote controllers.

D. Press any button on the remote controller one time.

The hazard warning lights will flash twice when this step is accurately completed and programming is successful. For 2000 Quest vehicles, the side marker/tail/license lamps will flash twice when programming is successful.

E. If you are programming only one remote, proceed to step 3A. If programming additional remotes, continue with step 2A, below.

2. Programming Additional Remote Controllers (Maximum of 4 Remotes):

A. Remain inside the vehicle after programming the first remote.

B. Use the driver's power door lock-unlock switch to unlock and then lock the doors.

C. Press any button on one of the additional remote controllers one time.

The hazard warning lights will flash twice when programming is successful. For 2000 Quest vehicles, the side marker/tail/license lamps will flash twice when programming is successful.

If there is more than one additional remote to be programmed, repeat steps 2A through 2C above for each additional remote.

3. End Programming:

A. Remove the key from the ignition.

B. Use the door lock-unlock switch on the driver's door to unlock the doors. Open the driver's door to complete the programming

C. Check the operation of each of the remote controllers by locking/unlocking the doors with each remote controller you have programmed.

thank you it work!!
Old 03-07-2010, 07:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

what size rim can go on a 01 max? need your help!!!!
Old 03-07-2010, 07:31 PM

19 inch is the nicest looking I have seen. Any bigger it just looks bad(in my opinion)
Old 03-08-2010, 10:25 AM

All, I'm experiencing a buzz/hum at 2000rpm under load. It started a few days ago, and if it's getting worse, it's not by much. Seems to go away when the engine's warm. I searched, but not too much luck. Thoughts?

EDIT: it's a 2003 automatic.

Last edited by Little John; 03-08-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:12 PM

Ground? Need to make sure your grounds are OK.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:42 AM

Battery? Alternator?

I never have a problem starting my car first thing in the morning. However, throughout the day, if I'm running errands, the car becomes hard to start. When I turn the key, the engine tries to turn over several times before catching.

Recent alternator and battery tests at Autozone showed no problems with either. Is there a more in-depth way to check the battery than the ~90 second test the Autozone employee tried? What else should I consider?
Old 03-09-2010, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by pepox369
hey guys!! i got a question about removing some scratches from my car.. here are the picks.. i read that i can polish some of them off but idk which type of polish to use..

(Pictures)
I always use the KIT scratch out stuff in the yellow bottle, its cheap and seems to work also try meguiars scratchx its pretty good... If that doesn't do the trick, go light with 3m rubbing compound and a microfiber.

I also have a question...
I'm a noob post count wise here but have used the boards for the last 2 years and you guys really are experts.

---Question regarding my 2000 max's manual climate control lights. I've got a bulb out and no Nissan dealer in my area has the little useless bulbs in stock plus they're expensive as anything $12 a bulb I was quoted. I've been reading up on installing LEDs in place of the three main bulbs in the climate control. For this I'd need to sauter in the LED's and resistors to where the bulbs would screw into the board I assume? Thanks so much, I've searched for a while and cant come up with a difinitive answer.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by evalyn
I never have a problem starting my car first thing in the morning. However, throughout the day, if I'm running errands, the car becomes hard to start. When I turn the key, the engine tries to turn over several times before catching.

Recent alternator and battery tests at Autozone showed no problems with either. Is there a more in-depth way to check the battery than the ~90 second test the Autozone employee tried? What else should I consider?
Get a multimeter, you must have at least 12.5 volts from the battery with the ignition and everything off.

If not the battery's kicked.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by evalyn

If it cranks fine and the battery stays charged, your base electrical system (the battery and the alternator) is probably fine.

Not catching is either fuel, spark, or air. Soooooo:

1. Check air filter
2. Check codes
3. Try a fuel injector cleaner additive, and if it persists, try a different brand of gas.
4. Check mileage and see if it's time for new plugs, or close.
5. Some people get better behavior out of their cars when they clean the MAF (what the rest of the car world calls an air mass sensor). There are write-ups on how to do that.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:05 PM

ABS Light

I'm getting an intermitten abs light, anyone know if there is an issue in the 2003 Maxima SE. Where should I start looking?
Old 03-09-2010, 02:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

so i just got a 2000 maxima gle. i like it so far. the only issues i'm aware of are 1) it's 196k miles and 2) a slight shimmy in the steering wheel only at 50-55 mph. the po has had regular maintenance and service and was nearly all highway miles. the shimmy started after he replaced the front tires, so he thinks they probably just didn't balance them correctly. the headlight lenses are faded, so i'm going to get some new ones. probably the anzo black crystal ones (the normal reflectors, not projectors). i'm still trying to learn about the car, i'm coming from two mk2 vw's, so it's a whole new world to me.

i guess the real questions i have are:
1.) from the vw's i've had, fram oil filters and penzoil are frowned upon. any recommendations for good/better/best oil/oil filters? did these come with synthetic oil from the factory?
2.) any major issues i should be concerned about with a high mileage maxima?

thanks
Old 03-09-2010, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by homeyclaus
If it cranks fine and the battery stays charged, your base electrical system (the battery and the alternator) is probably fine.

Not catching is either fuel, spark, or air. Soooooo:

1. Check air filter
2. Check codes
3. Try a fuel injector cleaner additive, and if it persists, try a different brand of gas.
4. Check mileage and see if it's time for new plugs, or close.
5. Some people get better behavior out of their cars when they clean the MAF (what the rest of the car world calls an air mass sensor). There are write-ups on how to do that.
Thanks, I will do all of that and re-post.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Though I'm new to the Forum, I'll try to find appropriate ways to contribute. For now, I'm on my second Maxima GLE, purchased through e-bay from a broker on jan 30th. I thought it was time to move from the '97 max with 177k miles to a newer one. this one has justturned 65k and I'm just sorting through a few minor details to bring it to a condition I'm happy with. I've replaced the passenger side axle and a right rear wheel bearing. The radiator support and a tiny point of rust through in the trunk well on the driver's side. I looked through over 1500 cars on e-bay, auto trader, and another site my girlfriend found to find THIS particular car. I'm enjoying this one very much. Lots of positive comments on it so far. I really wanted the 3 liter engine in order to enjoy the same levels of economy, safety and reliability that I enjoyed with the 97 GLE. I really enjoy and appreciate the information you guys all work so hard to research, identify and share. My only nagging unknown right now is if i should disconnect the electronic mounts. I want to go through this procedure with my mechanic so that he's consistently involved in the staus of the car. I had him go through the car from stem to stern and it's current condition can only be described as sweet. I'm really surprised at how much of a step up this appears to be. I had been focused on acquiring a relatively new Jaguar S-Type, but made the choice to stick with the Nissan. largely because of the Network of information provided by Maxima.org and all the super people here.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Verdublu, an intermittent abs light almost always indicates that one of the wheel speed sensors is not consistently seeing the rotation of the tone ring. It'll become more frequent until the tone ring is replaced. I've had this experience several times in the last 2 years with both my Isuzu Rodeo and my Nissan Maxima. It might even go away for two or three days, then reappear. When the ABS light is illuminated, you'll have sufficient braking, but you'll lose the benefit of the ABS controlling your deceleration. Since I live in the Northeast and frequently encounter icy driving, I always get the the vehicle into my mechanic for service and repair right away.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hood Damage - Need suggestions

I recently ran into the back of a Rav4 - the spare tire pushed my hood up, put a scratch on my bumper and broke my grill. I have a 2003 Maxima (great condition). I do have insurance. I am waiting for an estimate but am wondering what you all think this may cost . . .
Old 03-10-2010, 09:46 AM

New hood and grille....say $500 after all said and done.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:51 AM

350 wheels

What's up everyone!? I'm a newbie here and of course I have a ?. Will 2006 350z wheels fit on my 2000 maxima? They are thetouring wheels... I think. They are the 5spoke wheels. Thanks!
David
Old 03-10-2010, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Deez00
What's up everyone!? I'm a newbie here and of course I have a ?. Will 2006 350z wheels fit on my 2000 maxima? They are thetouring wheels... I think. They are the 5spoke wheels. Thanks!
David

Yes

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread