5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 05:11 PM
Pointy Elbows

Originally Posted by GOLD00GXE5SPD

thanks for the bit of info, i dont want my car to mess up or anything, so i think ill go ahead and order tomorrow. thanks for the help. jason
How did you know my name? Well anyway, you could even check the coils to see if they are the grey dot ones and in that case, just replace the ones that are bad. I doubt that you have the updated coils, but it can't hurt to check.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:31 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by 00MaxSE
How did you know my name? Well anyway, you could even check the coils to see if they are the grey dot ones and in that case, just replace the ones that are bad. I doubt that you have the updated coils, but it can't hurt to check.
i think thats his name...but if its also yours, now its three. im jason
Old 01-30-2007, 05:31 PM

just got a car

I just baught a 1989 maxima on jan 7 I needed a new car because someone hit my van while it was in my driveway ( it was icy here)

The car is older than I would have liked to get but is in very good condition and run very well. Is this a good car to get ? and can anyone tell me if there is an easy way to make the clock work ? It dosent always come on
Old 01-30-2007, 05:56 PM

thinking about gettin an K&N air filter and i was wondering does it make your car sound different when you rev it up...or wut..?? thank...i know the question sounds a lil dumb but im new to this....
Old 01-30-2007, 06:18 PM
Pointy Elbows

Originally Posted by soonerfan
i think thats his name...but if its also yours, now its three. im jason
Yes Jason, I am Jason.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:53 PM
2002 maxima se

Originally Posted by G&S Maxima
thinking about gettin an K&N air filter and i was wondering does it make your car sound different when you rev it up...or wut..?? thank...i know the question sounds a lil dumb but im new to this....
k&n drop in filter? if you gonna replace the oem filter with k&n i would say no it wont make any sound when you floor it or rev it up. and why should it make any sound when its not a cone filter for intakes? unless you are talking about k&n intake filter. by the way k&n is a good filter but little expensive comparing to stock, but if i were you i would continue using the nissan filters, anyway i got intake so i got a top of the line (APEXI) filter for my intake. k&n filters are washable and when you reuse them by aplying the oil you have to be very carefull that you dont put alot of oil. because oil can damage the MAF= mass airflow sensor. and a MAF cost twice than what a k&n filter cost. so stick with nissan filter unless you upgrade it to intake. and only intakes can make that sound when you (floor it) rev it up.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:10 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by 00MaxSE
Yes Jason, I am Jason.
wow...more jasons. Shocker!!!!
Old 01-30-2007, 08:02 PM
dmpesso

Please Help Horrible Mileage

Can someone please tell me a reason why im only getting about 14 MPG which i clocked in every way possible and these are highway miles. I have a 2002 GLE 3.5 L NO MODS. PLEEASSEE HELLPP, and im using 93 octane, wat happens sometimes too is the fuel meter goes up and back down and up again as if its confused, but running it full to empty i got about 240 miles which is about 12-14 miles per gallon highway, HORRIBLE PLEAAASSE HELLLPPPPPPP. i had also wen to the mechanic he said everything looks better than it should, meaning spark plugs, gas coming out the muffler compression and watever else they usually test. I WILL LITERALLY PAY SOMEONE TO FIGURE OUT WATS WRONG WITH IT PLEEAAASSEEE.

Old 01-30-2007, 08:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

jason here also - sick name

does anyone have a link to instructions on how to install these coils? for some reason my search isn't working??
Old 01-30-2007, 08:13 PM
2002 maxima se

Originally Posted by GOLD00GXE5SPD
jason here also - sick name

does anyone have a link to instructions on how to install these coils? for some reason my search isn't working??
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=451830
Old 01-30-2007, 08:15 PM
retired moderator

congratulations on this thread reaching 1,000 posts. Only 26 short of being the all-time "most posted in" thread in the history of the 5th gen forum.

n00bs, keep up the posting here with your basic questions.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:17 PM
is invisible

Originally Posted by dmpesso
Can someone please tell me a reason why im only getting about 14 MPG which i clocked in every way possible and these are highway miles. I have a 2002 GLE 3.5 L NO MODS. PLEEASSEE HELLPP, and im using 93 octane, wat happens sometimes too is the fuel meter goes up and back down and up again as if its confused, but running it full to empty i got about 240 miles which is about 12-14 miles per gallon highway, HORRIBLE PLEAAASSE HELLLPPPPPPP. i had also wen to the mechanic he said everything looks better than it should, meaning spark plugs, gas coming out the muffler compression and watever else they usually test. I WILL LITERALLY PAY SOMEONE TO FIGURE OUT WATS WRONG WITH IT PLEEAAASSEEE.
Is your SES light on? How about your PCV valve?

Alot of people's mpgs go down in the cold winters - I think it has something to do with the density of the cold air and how much gas the engine needs in order to maintain the proper mixture. What was your mpg in the summer?
Old 01-30-2007, 08:17 PM
2002 maxima se

this is a weird and very rare issue. i have never seen anyone getting 240 miles on a full tank of gas. whats the current mileage on your car and have you ever done the following services... spark plugs, coils, MAF, pcv valve replacement, fuel injector cleaning, throttle body cleaning, air filter replacement etc. there must be few other services to obtain the better gas mileage which i cant think of at the moment.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:22 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Originally Posted by irish44j
congratulations on this thread reaching 1,000 posts. Only 26 short of being the all-time "most posted in" thread in the history of the 5th gen forum.
1/2 are yours
Old 01-30-2007, 08:26 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by SEmy2K2go
1/2 are yours
Tim, you're just jealous that the n00bs love me
Old 01-30-2007, 08:29 PM
dmpesso

ive never seen those lights come on unless i have the car in the ON position where all the lights come on, Im a noob i dont know **** about cars really, and actually i just bought this car 30 days ago and yea there was a DRASTIC change in weather here from like 50 to 20 and back up but i shouldnt be getting THAT little mileage. see im not sure if it had a tuneup cuz i just bought it but i took it to the mechanic and he said it doesnt need a tune up everything looks good, PLEASE HELP its killlin my pockets its a daily commuter for me too.

Originally Posted by CoolMax
Is your SES light on? How about your PCV valve?

Alot of people's mpgs go down in the cold winters - I think it has something to do with the density of the cold air and how much gas the engine needs in order to maintain the proper mixture. What was your mpg in the summer?

Old 01-30-2007, 08:31 PM
Cletus

i think this thread is great...cuts down on newbies asking common question without getting being afraid of getting flamed.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:32 PM
dmpesso

Originally Posted by OC guy
this is a weird and very rare issue. i have never seen anyone getting 240 miles on a full tank of gas. whats the current mileage on your car and have you ever done the following services... spark plugs, coils, MAF, pcv valve replacement, fuel injector cleaning, throttle body cleaning, air filter replacement etc. there must be few other services to obtain the better gas mileage which i cant think of at the moment.
the air filter looks clean, and i just bought the car 30 days ago so i wouldnt know about that stuff. the car has 61K on it. and it has 2 different front tires than back tires, if that even makes a difference im jsut trying to list anything different. pressures all the same. what are all the posibilites. like it cant just be a friggin lemon where thats how it is rite?

Old 01-30-2007, 08:32 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by soonerfan
i think this thread is great...cuts down on newbies asking common question without getting being afraid of getting flamed by me.
edited for accuracy.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:34 PM
retired moderator

the air filter looks clean, and i just bought the car 30 days ago so i wouldnt know about that stuff. the car has 61K on it. and it has 2 different front tires than back tires, if that even makes a difference im jsut trying to list anything different. pressures all the same. what are all the posibilites. like it cant just be a friggin lemon where thats how it is rite?
first of all, take it to autozone and use their OBD reader to pull any codes in the system. Just because no light is on doesn't mean there are no codes present. Poor fuel mileage could be related to bad coils, fouled spark plugs, or any number of things that aren't apparent from just "looking" at the engine.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:45 PM
2002 maxima se

well if all 4 tires are 17's then that has nothing to do with MPG. 61k is not alot but its close to where the car needs to be maintained and serviced. the stock plugs on our cars last till 100k mine lasted over 100k i replaced them on 105k so i believe the spark plugs may not be the issue but its possible because you can only judge the plugs by taking them out. but you should consider getting few other services done to obtain better gas mileage because of the current mileage on your car. i would say get the fuel injector cleaning and clean the throttle body along with the new pcv valve. pcv valve is very easy to replace only takes 10 minutes and cost only $9.00 get the fuel injector cleaning by your local mechanic and asked them to clean the throttle body too. plugs, coils and MAF can wait for now but check your plugs by taking them out they are very easy to remove. i did the tune up on my car by myself and i also replaced the coils myself. anyway or wait untill you get the SES light. OH ya another main reason for your car to drink alot of gas could be (oxygen sensors) its almost time for them to be replaced. you will sooner or later get SES light regarding your o2 sensors so once they are replaced your MPG will improve BIG TIME. i believe your car has 4 oxygen sensors and each cost around $95 and they are plug and play easy to install. and also reprogramming your ECU=ECM can help get your good MPG. there is nothing else left to say on this MPG issue.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:48 PM
dmpesso

jesus thats alot of stuff, all i know is my mechanic said he used the machine that tells him eveyrthing and everything came out better than normal, and he is an honest guy. so other than that between what you both said what should be my steps in checking and replacing and all of them that cud possible be the reason for my ****ty mileage and the meter going up and down.

Old 01-30-2007, 08:49 PM

You sure the car is in O/D?
Old 01-30-2007, 08:51 PM
dmpesso

Originally Posted by BLK2BLU
You sure the car is in O/D?
WATS O/D????????????

Old 01-30-2007, 08:51 PM

O/D=Overdrive
Old 01-30-2007, 08:52 PM
dmpesso

O/D=Overdrive
wat do u mean is it in overdrive? i do not understand im stupid to these things lol

Old 01-30-2007, 08:52 PM
2002 maxima se

meter going up and down.
dude what is that?
Old 01-30-2007, 08:53 PM
dmpesso

dude what is that?
the needle that shows how much gas u have left, it goes down, then goes bak up a little, then back down somemore, constantly, and wen it gets down to the end it even has the need gas light come on and then it goes bak up a little and it goes off.

Old 01-30-2007, 08:53 PM
2002 maxima se

lol just trade your car and get a CAMRY. better MPG and less repair.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:54 PM

When you put the car in gear...where do you put it?
Old 01-30-2007, 08:55 PM
2002 maxima se

the needle that shows how much gas u have left, it goes down, then goes bak up a little, then back down somemore, constantly, and wen it gets down to the end it even has the need gas light come on and then it goes bak up a little and it goes off.
there must be a ghost in your gas tank. lol j/k

whenever you fill your tank dont let the air to be sucked in dont let it be opened for long time that can cause that meter to act funny i believe.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:56 PM
2002 maxima se

and ya dont drive with OD off.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:57 PM
dmpesso

there must be a ghost in your gas tank. lol j/k

whenever you fill your tank dont let the air to be sucked in dont let it be opened for long time that can cause that meter to act funny i believe.
i dont, and i cant trade it in im stuck with a finance contract that i happned to get ripped off for on the price too so this mileage stuff is very depressing. i dont leave it open for long at all either, WHEN I TURN IT ON I JUST PUT IT IN DRIVE, its an automatic

Old 01-30-2007, 09:00 PM

I understand that auto part, but there are multiple places to put it. When my mom got her 04 alti. she drove around w/o overdrive for 2 weeks and her mpg was way low. Your gas guage is gonna move up and down some (every car is like that)
Old 01-30-2007, 09:01 PM
2002 maxima se

i dont, and i cant trade it in im stuck with a finance contract that i happned to get ripped off for on the price too so this mileage stuff is very depressing. i dont leave it open for long at all either, WHEN I TURN IT ON I JUST PUT IT IN DRIVE, its an automatic
oh ok just keep it on drive dont drive it on drive2 gear. i just remember that 02 has different gear style than 00-01. ys you dont have overdrive button but you do have the gear where you can switch to OD but dont let the OD light to be appeared on your dash board.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:01 PM
dmpesso

I understand that auto part, but there are multiple places to put it. When my mom got her 04 alti. she drove around w/o overdrive for 2 weeks and her mpg was way low. Your gas guage is gonna move up and down some (every car is like that)
WAT THE HELL IS OVERDRIVE LOL

Old 01-30-2007, 09:03 PM
dmpesso

oh ok just keep it on drive dont drive it on drive2 gear. i just remember that 02 has different gear style than 00-01. ys you dont have overdrive button but you do have the gear where you can switch to OD but dont let the OD light to be appeared on your dash board.
yea its always on D, so please guys like what can all the POSSIBLE and most likely the problem be for this cuz its like my mechanic said he checked everytning and he doesnt know he said its the cold weather but i mean getting for instance for $20 which here is about 7.5 gallons of gas and getning like 100-120 miles at the most thats pretty horrible

Old 01-30-2007, 09:08 PM
2002 maxima se

yea its always on D, so please guys like what can all the POSSIBLE and most likely the problem be for this cuz its like my mechanic said he checked everytning and he doesnt know he said its the cold weather but i mean getting for instance for $20 which here is about 7.5 gallons of gas and getning like 100-120 miles at the most thats pretty horrible
you paid for a lemon. just take the car back to the dealer and explain this issue to them. or do what i said in that other posts. the choice is yours you can either keep paying on a car that drinks a gas like a water or you can do few services to try to improve little MPG or keep the lemon parked dont drive.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:10 PM
dmpesso

you paid for a lemon. just take the car back to the dealer and explain this issue to them. or do what i said in that other posts. the choice is yours you can either keep paying on a car that drinks a gas like a water or you can do few services to try to improve little MPG or keep the lemon parked dont drive.
yea but of course they wont take it back and they give me the usual, i dont see anything wrong if anyting was wrong the check engine light would come on, or o its a maxima there gas guzzlers. some BS theyd give me, isnt it a problem that cud be fixed or there are some maximas that just stay like that

Old 01-30-2007, 09:11 PM

P R N D 3 2 1....nuff said

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread