5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by VaporHead
It will require a harness from the dealer. It will fit directly in there. And there has been a quadzillion posts about this. Good luck.
Does anyone have a link or a write up on doing this?
Old 11-27-2006, 04:48 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by abraxus22
Does anyone have a link or a write up on doing this?
I doubt it....it's a touchy subject around here. Just get the wiring harness, splice it into your 00-01 harness, and plug it in. you will need both the 00-01 and 02-03 wiring diagrams (Haynes manual should have it). Then find a friend who has some electrical know-how.

Someone might be nice and send you their write up, but it is not posted anywhere here.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:49 PM

I used the yahoo advance search but I couldn't find what I was looking for. I apologize for this question as I am sure it has been asked a thousand plus times but can someone give me a link or thread that tells what I need to do to convert 02-03 headlights to a 01?

I just bought an 01 max and I want the 02-03 lights with the halos and clear lens.

Also, does anyone know anyone on the forum that will actually do the halo and clear lens installs and then ships them out? I only ask because I am new to the forum and I do not know the process.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.
Well you need to buy a set of 02-03 headligths then get a wireing harness from the dealer around 40 bucks. Then when you have all that take a picture post it here and pm me about it then i'll send you then instructions on how to install these onto your 01. Also are you talking about clearing the turn signal and installing the dde angel eyes?
Old 11-27-2006, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by SuperStasiu
Well you need to buy a set of 02-03 headligths then get a wireing harness from the dealer around 40 bucks. Then when you have all that take a picture post it here and pm me about it then i'll send you then instructions on how to install these onto your 01. Also are you talking about clearing the turn signal and installing the dde angel eyes?
I just placed an order online for the 02-03 headlights so I will definetly contact you as soon as they come in.

Yes, I am talking about clearing the turn signal and installing the DDe angel eyes. Why? Does that require other parts?
Old 11-27-2006, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
I doubt it....it's a touchy subject around here. Just get the wiring harness, splice it into your 00-01 harness, and plug it in. you will need both the 00-01 and 02-03 wiring diagrams (Haynes manual should have it). Then find a friend who has some electrical know-how.

Someone might be nice and send you their write up, but it is not posted anywhere here.
Since I am a noob on this forum can someone tell me why this is a touchy subject?
Old 11-27-2006, 05:43 PM
VaporHead

Since I am a noob on this forum can someone tell me why this is a touchy subject?

Because these HID lights are a high high theft item in some locations, and people think that the lights you have (HIDS) are stolen. It's a forum rule that needs to go away, but until then, it's just what it is.

Old 11-27-2006, 05:43 PM
retired moderator

well, there is a high rate of HID headlight theft from 02-03 maximas in NYC/Jersey especially - and even though these theives are stealing them for the Ballasts to put in their civics or whatever, alot of people on here still get suspicious whenever anyone has the 02-03 housings that they got off ebay or whatever.

If they're brand new in box, you're good to go. If buying used ones, expect some questions about "stolen or not"

I think the whole fuss is kind of stupid, personally. We don't get upset about people selling used audio stuff, even though it gets stolen alot.

but that's the way it is, so everyone needs to be "sensitive" to others' feelings
Old 11-27-2006, 05:44 PM
VaporHead

well, there is a high rate of HID headlight theft from 02-03 maximas in NYC/Jersey especially - and even though these theives are stealing them for the Ballasts to put in their civics or whatever, alot of people on here still get suspicious whenever anyone has the 02-03 housings that they got off ebay or whatever.

If they're brand new in box, you're good to go. If buying used ones, expect some questions about "stolen or not"

I think the whole fuss is kind of stupid, personally. We don't get upset about people selling used audio stuff, even though it gets stolen alot.

but that's the way it is, so everyone needs to be "sensitive" to others' feelings

HAHA, beat ya to this one!

Old 11-27-2006, 05:44 PM

HID theft is a significant problem on 02/03 Maxes. Nobody wants to post any information that could in any way assist these thieves, or assist those that keep the thieves in business by purchasing from them.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:45 PM
retired moderator

that said, it's all about trust here. If people trust you, and you give them reason to trust you, it won't be an issue. Post up the pics of the lights and accessories when you get them and then people won't question them.

btw, I did this "mod" a few years ago (cleared, but without the DDE's though )
Old 11-27-2006, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by VaporHead
HAHA, beat ya to this one!
Wow, I was really slow!
Old 11-27-2006, 05:47 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by BigFly_2K2SE
HID theft is a significant problem on 02/03 Maxes. Nobody wants to post any information that could in any way assist these thieves, or assist those that keep the thieves in business by purchasing from them.
While I, of course, sympathise with those who've had their HIDs jacked, I'd be willing to bet that FAR more people have had their ICE stolen than their HIDs. But we still talk about how to wire decks, wire speakers, wire subs and amps, install subs, install decks, install LCDs, etc etc.

There is a sure-fire way not to have your HIDs stolen: don't move to NYC, Jersey, Florida, or Atlanta.

BAN ALL AUDIO DISCUSSION!
Old 11-27-2006, 05:49 PM
VaporHead

Originally Posted by BigFly_2K2SE
Wow, I was really slow!
I'm really bored and refreshing page every 5 seconds.

Old 11-27-2006, 06:21 PM

There is a sure-fire way not to have your HIDs stolen: don't move to NYC, Jersey, Florida, or Atlanta.
It's certainly not a problem in Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada! Snowmobile theft is far more prevelant, and profitable.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

key wont work in door or trunk

hey all nice community ya got here, lots of you seem to be very knowledgable soooo maybe someone could help me out

just bought a 2000 GLE from an auction. everything seems kosher. except the keys wont work on the door and trunk...what the hell? i really doubt locks or igniton switch has been changed, just doesn't make sense when I have all these detailed service records...the car's obviously had good care and was barely driven.

is there something i need to reset with the alarm system disabling the locks? thats the best thing i can think of and it doesn't sound very likely to me. the key doesn't go as far into the locks as it does the ignition so i dunno.

whatcha think? any suggestions appreciated...thanks!
Davy D
Old 11-27-2006, 08:02 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Davy D
hey all nice community ya got here, lots of you seem to be very knowledgable soooo maybe someone could help me out

just bought a 2000 GLE from an auction. everything seems kosher. except the keys wont work on the door and trunk...what the hell? i really doubt locks or igniton switch has been changed, just doesn't make sense when I have all these detailed service records...the car's obviously had good care and was barely driven.

is there something i need to reset with the alarm system disabling the locks? thats the best thing i can think of and it doesn't sound very likely to me. the key doesn't go as far into the locks as it does the ignition so i dunno.

whatcha think? any suggestions appreciated...thanks!
Davy D
hmm...can't remember the last time I used the key in the door or trunk. No keyless entry?

Anyhow, the keys do NOT go as far into the door as into the ignition....they're not supposed to.

The door locks are mechanical, so they would not be affected by the alarm system or anything else. Either the locks are frozen (something jammed in them or something else) or they have been re-keyed seperate from the ignition.

Have you used the key successfully to start the car?
Old 11-27-2006, 08:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hmm...can't remember the last time I used the key in the door or trunk. No keyless entry?

Anyhow, the keys do NOT go as far into the door as into the ignition....they're not supposed to.

The door locks are mechanical, so they would not be affected by the alarm system or anything else. Either the locks are frozen (something jammed in them or something else) or they have been re-keyed seperate from the ignition.

Have you used the key successfully to start the car?

see thats the thing, since I bought it at an auction, I can't just ask the previous owner for the remote that I didn't get with the car. I tried calling the only ph. # I found in the maintenence records, and its been relisted. I did order one from nissan however, and you're right I know with my last car I dont ever remember using my key to unlock it, but I still wanna get to the bottom of the lock issue just cause I'd like to know that I have a key to ulock the friggin door if I ever need to.

I have used the key to start it and drive it and everythings kosher other than the lock issue.
Nothings jammed in the locks either.
My keys are Nissan keys.
I dunno worst case scenario I guess I need to have a door key made.
Ty for your input
Old 11-27-2006, 09:24 PM

Alrighty...next noob question...

2002 Maxima SE with 100% stock suspension....

Will 225/60/16's rub ?? These are winter tires...

Thanks in advance for any help
Old 11-28-2006, 04:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hellllllllo peeps. I'm gettin a 03 hopefully sometime this week and the first 2 things I want to do is change the grille and side markers. I've already found the side markers thanx to this site (which kicks *** btw and the peeps seem nice) but what I need to know is what different grilles are out there? I don't really like the trendz to much so I wanna know what others are there? Or is the a thread someone can direct me to? It would be much appreciated.

Edit: LoL! Love that it says I'm a newbie and just registered.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by maximizeme
Hellllllllo peeps. I'm gettin a 03 hopefully sometime this week and the first 2 things I want to do is change the grille and side markers. I've already found the side markers thanx to this site (which kicks *** btw and the peeps seem nice) but what I need to know is what different grilles are out there? I don't really like the trendz to much so I wanna know what others are there? Or is the a thread someone can direct me to? It would be much appreciated.

Edit: LoL! Love that it says I'm a newbie and just registered.
Here is the one i got:
http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/TRE2247NFP.htm
not from this guy but the same thing. Price is almost the same from each retailer and goes a bit over $200.00. these look some what ok to my opinion. Also there 2 inserts (02-03 model) for bumper and you may find them on ebay for about $45-50. Later on this week i will post a picture of what it looks like on my car. Also, there cheaper ($50-60) ones on ebay but look like crap, just search forum and ebay and you will find out. You may also check out mesh grills, i beleive they have to be cut to the size. Those you can find on ebay also.There a lot of guys out there saying that OEM grills are the best look for our cars. I think it's just a matter of taste. I personally don't like huge nissan's logo.
...and by the way as far as i know there is nothing else out there, but those i mentioned. Of course i could be worng, but i did a lot of search on grills and it seems that those r only available for 5-5.5 gen cars.
about sidemarkers- can't help, never got'em as they r illegal in NY.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:02 AM

the MAF problem with intakes is over-hyped. Most people have NOT had any problems....the people who have are just very vocal.
thanks,as always- can't agree more. will install intake tomorrow or thursday and post my first impression
Old 11-28-2006, 06:22 AM
the org...not what it was

Originally Posted by maxig0
thanks,as always- can't agree more. will install intake tomorrow or thursday and post my first impression
the sound is going to be the most noticable difference, especially at WOT
Old 11-28-2006, 02:42 PM

I am unable to adjust the brightness of my guages. I have checked the fuses and all seem fine. right now the light is at full brightness. any idea?
Old 11-28-2006, 04:48 PM

Hey guys,
I was wondering, are there any 6 speed shift **** options besides the stock one that are functional with the reverse lockout? If there aren't, does anybody know of a place where I could get a stock one cheaply? My shift **** is scratched up because of the previous owner. Thanks
Old 11-28-2006, 05:37 PM

I just purchased a set of clear/chrome tails for my ride and I was wondering if you guys know what bulbs I can get (and where) that will brighten the redness of the light? In the daytime the lights are kinda non-existent. I heard there were some lights that display really bright and aren't even red unless they are on.

Also, I just put an order in for clear corners - same question...what bulbs and where

Thanks fellas
Old 11-28-2006, 05:48 PM

Also, I have some questions about the forum...

1.) I got some good information in one of my reply/posts and I tried to click on my name so I could see all my previous posts and it says that I am not allowed to do that - Is there a way to change that, or is there another way I can see my other replys?

2.) How do I get to display an avatar?
Old 11-28-2006, 07:57 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by choopster
I am unable to adjust the brightness of my guages. I have checked the fuses and all seem fine. right now the light is at full brightness. any idea?
unfortunately, the brightest setting is still pretty dim....not like a Honda.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:59 PM
retired moderator

Also, I have some questions about the forum...

1.) I got some good information in one of my reply/posts and I tried to click on my name so I could see all my previous posts and it says that I am not allowed to do that - Is there a way to change that, or is there another way I can see my other replys?

2.) How do I get to display an avatar?
1. once you get to 20 posts, I think you'll be able to do that (not positive, though).

2. pretty sure Avatars are for donating members only. Donate! Then you also get to use the search.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:00 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by ke.max
Alrighty...next noob question...

2002 Maxima SE with 100% stock suspension....

Will 225/60/16's rub ?? These are winter tires...

Thanks in advance for any help
You should be ok with them
Old 11-29-2006, 07:44 AM

I have a question that escapes me. In my maxima the grey coating on the trim pieces by the shifter and ashtray is "melting" (sorry best way I could describe it) in a way. I have successfully gotten the coating off the bottom of the hvac controls. The next place I need to address is the automatic shifter and ashtray bezel. My question is how can you remove this piece? Does it just pop out or do you have to remove the whole console? Thanks
Old 11-29-2006, 04:34 PM

My headlight lenses are looking like crap. I used some plastic cleaner which smoothed them up but didn't get rid of the fogging or scratches. Without springing for an entire new (or possibly stolen) headlight, where can I find just the lenses?

Failing that, is there a really awesome plastic cleaner/polisher out there? I used the Meguiars (or however its spelled) and it didn't do much.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by oldmanshirt
My headlight lenses are looking like crap. I used some plastic cleaner which smoothed them up but didn't get rid of the fogging or scratches. Without springing for an entire new (or possibly stolen) headlight, where can I find just the lenses?

Failing that, is there a really awesome plastic cleaner/polisher out there? I used the Meguiars (or however its spelled) and it didn't do much.
I have used a myriad of things to clear headlights. I can say hands down the best and most through method is wet sanding. This is a process where you purchase 600, 1000, 1500, and 2000 grit sand paper. You remove the headlights and wet sand on each grit for about 5-10 minutes til the surface it totally covered. I will caution you it will look like you f'ed up your lights for good .

Once you have completed the 2000 grit you will then apply some meguiers sratch x to the surface with a cotton towel preferrablity something with a little roughness to it. And then use a lot of elbow grease to polish them up. Once that is done you need to go buy some megiuers clear sealant or something similar. This will leave you with great looking headlights.

However, recently a friend of mine gave me a product called flitz. It is a metallic based polisher. I used it on my brothers avalon whose lights had also oxidized. THe results were fantastics. It is only one step as opposed to 5-6 in wet sanding. The only reason I dont suggest that as the first method is my borthers lights werent in the condition my where when I wet sanded them so not sure how far flitz will clean.

Also, as an aside to flitz I hear it works ten times better on a power buffing pad or drill mounted buffing pad. Mothers Polishing Ball might work, but I am skeptical that the flitz (and it metalillac contents) might tear up the foam mothers ball. Just remember to work your lights into your maintance schedule. They need to be attended to just like any part on your car. Make sure that when you wash your car you dry them and keep a wax or sealant on them. To keep them looking new. Sorry this is so long, but just trying to give an full answer.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by ctrent86
I have used a myriad of things to clear headlights. I can say hands down the best and most through method is wet sanding. This is a process where you purchase 600, 1000, 1500, and 2000 grit sand paper. You remove the headlights and wet sand on each grit for about 5-10 minutes til the surface it totally covered. I will caution you it will look like you f'ed up your lights for good .

Once you have completed the 2000 grit you will then apply some meguiers sratch x to the surface with a cotton towel preferrablity something with a little roughness to it. And then use a lot of elbow grease to polish them up. Once that is done you need to go buy some megiuers clear sealant or something similar. This will leave you with great looking headlights.

However, recently a friend of mine gave me a product called flitz. It is a metallic based polisher. I used it on my brothers avalon whose lights had also oxidized. THe results were fantastics. It is only one step as opposed to 5-6 in wet sanding. The only reason I dont suggest that as the first method is my borthers lights werent in the condition my where when I wet sanded them so not sure how far flitz will clean.

Also, as an aside to flitz I hear it works ten times better on a power buffing pad or drill mounted buffing pad. Mothers Polishing Ball might work, but I am skeptical that the flitz (and it metalillac contents) might tear up the foam mothers ball. Just remember to work your lights into your maintance schedule. They need to be attended to just like any part on your car. Make sure that when you wash your car you dry them and keep a wax or sealant on them. To keep them looking new. Sorry this is so long, but just trying to give an full answer.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate thurough answers.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:44 AM

I just purchased a set of clear/chrome tails for my ride and I was wondering if you guys know what bulbs I can get (and where) that will brighten the redness of the light? In the daytime the lights are kinda non-existent. I heard there were some lights that display really bright and aren't even red unless they are on.

Also, I just put an order in for clear corners - same question...what bulbs and where

Thanks fellas

Best bulbs hands down are LED's, i get mine from autolumination because they are the brightest i've ever seen in an LED bulb.

Sidemarkers are 194's, so I would suggest the 4 star LED's, the are hella bright.
Tails are 7440, so i'd get the wedge matrix 2 LED bulb, or the light tower bulbs (great output)
Turning signals are 1156, so if you really want these bright i'd get the eagle-eye tower bulbs.

Most of these bulbs are expensive, but they are really good quality and to me worth the investment and a better build over the ebay ones.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by aamir
Hey guys,
I was wondering, are there any 6 speed shift **** options besides the stock one that are functional with the reverse lockout? If there aren't, does anybody know of a place where I could get a stock one cheaply? My shift **** is scratched up because of the previous owner. Thanks

customenterprise.com sells the Nismo shift ***** as well as some blue LED (rice) shift **** as well
Old 11-30-2006, 06:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Great info. I used Meguairs on my wifes car and it didn't do the trick. It seems like a wet sand prior to the Meguairs application is in order.

One question - Did you remove the headlights first? I'd imagine it's easier for the sanding portion but might be a pain to remove...
Old 11-30-2006, 10:44 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by aamir
Hey guys,
The newer (either 04+ or 05+) Sentra SE-R SpecV ***** are the same thread as A33s, and have reverse lockout.

You CAN disable the reverse lockout.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:38 AM

you need to go buy some megiuers clear sealant or something similar.
Would Laminx work even better?
Old 11-30-2006, 11:41 AM
dot dot dot ...

I use blue magic for my 02/3 HID's. Works great.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:50 AM

Remote for 2000

I went to the dealer today so they could look up the FCC ID number from my VIN. The parts guy told me he can't do that since I could just take that information and buy a remote somewhere else.

Now what? I still don't know the ID # for my particular car.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread