5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by rrj72
ok so I've looked through the parts list and done the free google search and I still can't seem to find the link to the clear headlight circle for a 02 max, I know I've seen them on here before but can't find the post.

Also, I found an ebay link to some clear side markers but they are some brand I've never heard of. On my last car I had the pro car parts side markers and I liked those alot but they seem to be out of stock, anyone know where to buy them thats in stock?

Thanks!
Ryan
how-to for clearing headlights http://www.innerbean.com/housecor/clear_HIDs.html
Old 03-08-2007, 05:50 PM

Can anyone here tell me how long i'm able to drive on a bad front wheel bearing? I'm going to get it replaced tomorrow, it went bad on me last monday night and i've been driving it for about 20 min tops a day tuesday, wedsneday and now today thursday, (so i maybe drove 60 miles or so on it when it went bad) the only problem I have is that the guy i'm going to get it repaired at lives about a hour to a hour 1/2 away and I have to drive on the interstate, I was wondering if anyone could clarify if it would be safe to drive that much on it, and if I just drove slower maybe about 60 instead of the 70-75 if it would be easier on it. Thanks for any help!
Old 03-08-2007, 05:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Buying an 02 Maxima

I'm thinking of getting a 2002 Maxima Sl and I am wondering what would be a good price. The car has 90,000 miles on it. It has power everything and is apparently in very good shape however I have not seen the car yet. The asking price is 9000. The dealer said its his personal car and he would give me a price I could not refuse so i am basically where should I start haggling? and what what would be a good price for this car.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:56 PM
is invisible

Originally Posted by warlord84
I'm thinking of getting a 2002 Maxima Sl and I am wondering what would be a good price. The car has 90,000 miles on it. It has power everything and is apparently in very good shape however I have not seen the car yet. The asking price is 9000. The dealer said its his personal car and he would give me a price I could not refuse so i am basically where should I start haggling? and what what would be a good price for this car.
Best bets for price are:
www.kbb.com
www.nada.com
www.edmunds.com

Any of the prices we give will be based off those anyways.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:55 AM

Question About Color For O/d Lead Wire Colors???

Does anyone know the colors for the OverDrive lead wires that connect to the original automatic shift **** (2001 max SE AE auto)? Replacing **** with the Levoc **** w/ overdrive button, and the person before had a **** with no over-drive button. Dash is apart, and I see no loose wires....I know they have no polarity, but i need to know what colors they are so i can possible splice into them. Thanks ALL
Old 03-09-2007, 04:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am currently looking for a used Nissan Maxima to replace my Altima. Are there any things I should like out for when inspecting the car? I plan on getting models that are from 1999-2002 automatic or manual. I'm spending 10k at max so it will have a good amount of miles on it.

Sorry for making all these stupid questions I'm just really excited that I am getting a Maxima soon.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan

Thank you for the reply, I knew I had seen that somewhere!
Old 03-09-2007, 10:44 PM

Obtaining ECU codes

I've been searching .org for a few hours now, as well as the rest of the net with google for another method of obtaining the ECU code that is causing my SES light to illuminate. I've seen the FAQ on reseting the ECU and it contains a method for diagnosing the problem, as shown here: http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/ecu.asp

I followed this procedure to the letter and I am getting nothing; no response from the SES light (according to the guide, it is supposed to flash the code). I'm wondering if the "ignition" position is directly before "Start." The guide says not to actually start the vehicle, and so I assume the "ignition" position is immediately before the point where the engine actually turns over. Also, how precise must the timing be? I counted seconds with my (SWISS!) watch, so I'm assuming my timing was adequate.

Any would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:43 PM

I have a 2001 Maxima SE and i'm looking for a full lip kit for my car (I want to make it look like the anniversay edition). Does anyone have any hook ups on that? I need all four sides, no fiber glass, poly only.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:41 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by Max_Ryder
I have a 2001 Maxima SE and i'm looking for a full lip kit for my car (I want to make it look like the anniversay edition). Does anyone have any hook ups on that? I need all four sides, no fiber glass, poly only.
You could try Dave B (# is in the stickies) for the AE kit, or http://www.sportcompactonly.com/ for the Stillen kit (if that appeals to you at all)
Old 03-10-2007, 08:46 AM

Hey guys, I'm transfering my question from the Berk thread into here: Does anyone have a sound clip of the GAB (lip cut off of the stock filter) on a 5th gen (3.0L)? Thanks...
Old 03-10-2007, 09:27 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by PandaXpress
Hey guys, I'm transfering my question from the Berk thread into here: Does anyone have a sound clip of the GAB (lip cut off of the stock filter) on a 5th gen (3.0L)? Thanks...
it sounds almost identical to the berk/frankencar/stillen intake on a 3.0. (i had the stillen, GAB, and berk on my 00 in that order)
Old 03-10-2007, 01:28 PM

I called the number listed on the page for TAP plastics and the guy who answered the phone had never heard of the part I was looking for and said they didn't carry it. He also said I had the wrong store and gave me the phone number for the store in sacramento which is 916-481-7584...so I called that store and he said he had never heard of that part before either and did not carry any parts made by malibu

anyone know where to order the pre-cut piece for the headlights?

Thanks
Ryan
Old 03-10-2007, 01:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

How to replace side mirror on 2002 Max. GLE

Hello all.

My wife the other day was backing into the garage and took the diver side mirror off of the car. I would like to do the repair myself but am not sure how to remove the existing mirror. Do you have to remove the entire inside door panel to access the bolt that hold the mirror on. Any tip would be appreciated. Also - this is a power / heated mirror I assume there is a connector somewhere that the wiring for the new mirror plugs into. Thank very much

2001 Maxima GLE.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:25 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by rrj72
I called the number listed on the page for TAP plastics and the guy who answered the phone had never heard of the part I was looking for and said they didn't carry it. He also said I had the wrong store and gave me the phone number for the store in sacramento which is 916-481-7584...so I called that store and he said he had never heard of that part before either and did not carry any parts made by malibu

anyone know where to order the pre-cut piece for the headlights?

Thanks
Ryan
you can get the pieces from Home Depot...you have to dremil them a little bit to make them fit
Old 03-12-2007, 10:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by mist max2000
well personally i have replace mine through dave B just like you,.. never had the reflash done by the dealer,.. i just disconnected my battery for idk?the day and then hooked it back up and i was all good and damn the car felt like new..some say you do some say you dont,.. you should be fine w/out it save ur $

ohh also IMO only reason you would need reflash if you see ur mpg go to crap,..or if you get a CEL that wont simply go away by unpluging the battery
This MAF replacement was the easiest fix I could have imagined. I finished the job in less than 1 hour on Saturday and the car runs better than new. thanks!
Old 03-12-2007, 05:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2006 engine in 2002 SE?

Ok. So I bought a 2002 dark grey Maxima SE 6-spd when my 300zx started costing about 3,000 a year in maintenance. So i got a nice Max with 53k on it. Drove it for about 2 months then i started hearing a belt like noise. Took it to the dealership and they told me that there was metal circulating in the engine. They found metal shared in the oil strainer. So they said the only acceptable thing to do would be to give me a new engine. So because of warranties and what not, they claimed to have given me a brand new 2006 3.5L. I know that my car is a 3.5L, but is it possible to fit the new engine in there or do you think they just made it look new and did a rebuild of some sort?

2nd Question. I'm putting a stand-alone touch screen monitor to replace the radio. I'm going to be running a car-puter so I wanted to know what would be best, to either put a new head unit in a different location, or to purchase an amplifier and run the sound output of the computer directly to the amp and then to the speakers. If i should use a deck is it possible to mount the deck in the factory location but back deeper about an 1 1/2 inches so it will reside behind a flushmounted LCD(and then make the LCD pivot for deck access)?

2002 Nissan Maxima SE
60k miles(3k on new engine), 6-spd
standard audio package
Old 03-12-2007, 08:07 PM

i was wondering which headlight bulbs were better the sylvania silverstars or or cool blue and if you have pics can you post...thanks
Old 03-12-2007, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Magista
Ok. So I bought a 2002 dark grey Maxima SE 6-spd when my 300zx started costing about 3,000 a year in maintenance. So i got a nice Max with 53k on it. Drove it for about 2 months then i started hearing a belt like noise. Took it to the dealership and they told me that there was metal circulating in the engine. They found metal shared in the oil strainer. So they said the only acceptable thing to do would be to give me a new engine. So because of warranties and what not, they claimed to have given me a brand new 2006 3.5L. I know that my car is a 3.5L, but is it possible to fit the new engine in there or do you think they just made it look new and did a rebuild of some sort?

2nd Question. I'm putting a stand-alone touch screen monitor to replace the radio. I'm going to be running a car-puter so I wanted to know what would be best, to either put a new head unit in a different location, or to purchase an amplifier and run the sound output of the computer directly to the amp and then to the speakers. If i should use a deck is it possible to mount the deck in the factory location but back deeper about an 1 1/2 inches so it will reside behind a flushmounted LCD(and then make the LCD pivot for deck access)?

2002 Nissan Maxima SE
standard audio package
1) they put a new engine in there... I highly doubt they lied to you. if you found out that would be a HUGE law suit.

2) why would you put a separate head unit in the car for music if you want to put a car puter in with a touch screen? run everything off of the car puter. you can make a car puter for not too much money and lcd screens have come down in price themselves. that is probably the way I am going to go in the future. along with getting a verizon internet card so I can access the internet anywhere.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by G&S Maxima
i was wondering which headlight bulbs were better the sylvania silverstars or or cool blue and if you have pics can you post...thanks
sylvania silverstars
Old 03-12-2007, 10:19 PM

i was wonderin where i could get the silverstars to go in the foglights in my 2000 max i already have the silverstar headlights i was jus wondering where i could purchase the fogs??? i got the headlight bulbs from autozone and wondering can i do the same with the fogs....
Old 03-12-2007, 11:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magista

2002 Nissan Maxima SE
standard audio package

1) they put a new engine in there... I highly doubt they lied to you. if you found out that would be a HUGE law suit.

2) why would you put a separate head unit in the car for music if you want to put a car puter in with a touch screen? run everything off of the car puter. you can make a car puter for not too much money and lcd screens have come down in price themselves. that is probably the way I am going to go in the future. along with getting a verizon internet card so I can access the internet anywhere.

Cool. It looks brand new and I'm really happy with the performance. I was just wondering if that was indeed the case. So parts would be interchangeable as well too. Good to know for when my warranty runs out in 50k.

As far as the computer in my car. I'm not trying to spend a lot of money. My idea was this: I have a laptop w/ a DC plug. Stick it under the passenger seat. I want to get one of those VGA/USB touch screens like the Lilliput 7" and stick it into one of those dash conversions for stereos w/ a lil plastic cutting. So thats just the computer and the video. Now i need something still to push my speakers or I'm w/o sound since the screen I'm getting doesn't include any type of receiver. So i need a receiver solution. I am wondering if I can mount a deck in the Din spot on the stereo adapter and move it back between 1 1/2 to 2 inches to allow the screen to mount flush. Then put a swivel on the screen(pivot horizontal center) so i can swivel it downward when i need to access the receiver. It seems pretty easy to take the dash out of this car, so tomorrow I'm going to rip it out and get some measurements and see if my idea is possible. Then i'll have a mobile computer at minimal incurred expense(250 for the LCDtouchscreen and 100 for a receiver).
Old 03-13-2007, 03:43 AM
Cletus

silverstar...
Old 03-13-2007, 03:44 AM
Cletus

i was wonderin where i could get the silverstars to go in the foglights in my 2000 max i already have the silverstar headlights i was jus wondering where i could purchase the fogs??? i got the headlight bulbs from autozone and wondering can i do the same with the fogs....
if a place has the headlight bulbs...they will have the fogs.

btw, i had both on my 00 and loved them
Old 03-13-2007, 03:54 PM

Hi guys,
What do you guys think of this Y-pipe and cat? i'm looking to replace my stock cat, y-pipe, and catback...btw any recommendations for catback?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WARPS...mZ290093687913
Old 03-13-2007, 08:16 PM

Is it possible to replace a manual climate control on a 2001 maxima with an automatic digital climate control using the same wiring harness?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-NI...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 03-13-2007, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by WeeZyFellA
Is it possible to replace a manual climate control on a 2001 maxima with an automatic digital climate control using the same wiring harness?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-NI...QQcmdZViewItem
There's a lot more work than just swapping the controls, and the general consensus is that it's not worth it.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by DOHCtorJT
There's a lot more work than just swapping the controls, and the general consensus is that it's not worth it.
has it been done before though? im stuck with the basics and wanted to do some upgrades, thought that would be a good one to do.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:52 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by WeeZyFellA
has it been done before though? im stuck with the basics and wanted to do some upgrades, thought that would be a good one to do.
you would need the control unit, two temp sensors, and about 100ft of wiring.

then you would have to install all of that.

it "can" be done but it wouldnt be worth the money and effort to swap it.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:35 AM

you would need the control unit, two temp sensors, and about 100ft of wiring.

then you would have to install all of that.

it "can" be done but it wouldnt be worth the money and effort to swap it.
wow, next mod lol
Old 03-14-2007, 10:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Guys I need help! Im a noob and need this car badly. Here's the situation the car stalls on start and can't hold idle which causes the engine to stall. I give it gas to warm the engine and try to hold idle. When the engine is warm it might be able to under 300rpm's, but stalls especially when coming to a stop. I thought it was the MAF but replaced it and still have the problem!! . So far I have had the TB cleaned as well as the IACV, and now the MAF replaced. It still stalls. I also got the P0505 code meaning the idle control system. Also the SES, Fuel light and battery light are on when it stalls. Battery is only 3 months old. Please help I am running out of ideas short of getting a new IACV and/or taking it to nissan.
ALso I forgot to add that I only had the battery disconnected for 2hrs while I was installing new MAF. Would having it dissconnected for 24hrs help.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Guys where is the ecm relay, and how to check if its ok? Can you you easily buy this at an autoparts store?
Old 03-14-2007, 05:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Guys I need help! Im a noob and need this car badly. Here's the situation the car stalls on start and can't hold idle which causes the engine to stall. I give it gas to warm the engine and try to hold idle. When the engine is warm it might be able to under 300rpm's, but stalls especially when coming to a stop. I thought it was the MAF but replaced it and still have the problem!! . So far I have had the TB cleaned as well as the IACV, and now the MAF replaced. It still stalls. I also got the P0505 code meaning the idle control system. Also the SES, Fuel light and battery light are on when it stalls. Battery is only 3 months old. Please help I am running out of ideas short of getting a new IACV and/or taking it to nissan.
ALso I forgot to add that I only had the battery disconnected for 2hrs while I was installing new MAF. Would having it dissconnected for 24hrs help.
Hey. Never had this problem but in my Z i had an issue with stopping causing my car to stall. Bad alternator, even though it registered fine at Autozone. Quick fix if has to do with the idle and you need the car drivable. Look for the throttle cable and loosen the thing that holds it. move it over some to increase your idle a little. This may help you drive. 2 hours should be enough for your ECU to reset. If your car has less than 80k on it, they by federal law have to replace the ECU and IACV should come with that. Consider the IACV diaphram and auxillary systems as a possible culprit as well. Could also be a short along the way to the ECU.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:22 PM

I have found a black 2000 Maxima SE with 145,000 miles on it going for about $4000. I was wondering what you guys thought of that deal and how reliable do you think the car will be over the next year or two before I upgrade to a generation 6 Maxi!

Thanks for any input.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:48 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by dwareroy
I have found a black 2000 Maxima SE with 145,000 miles on it going for about $4000. I was wondering what you guys thought of that deal and how reliable do you think the car will be over the next year or two before I upgrade to a generation 6 Maxi!

Thanks for any input.
for that price...who cares. It should do well enough. Many guys on here have more miles than that without troubles. The VQ30DE-K engine is pretty much bulletproof....with that mileage, it could need a new clutch soon but other than that shouldn't have any major problems. Obviously the suspension (if still original) would need replacement as well.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:54 PM

Where is the ECU located?
Old 03-14-2007, 08:06 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by machinehead131
Where is the ECU located?
put your head down in the passenger footwell. Look to the left. It's kind of up on top of the transmission tunnel behind the dash side cladding. Kind of hard to get to, but it's there.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by dwareroy

Thanks for any input.
If it looks to be well maintained, jump on it. Like irish said, even if you do have a few problems, it'll still end up costing you less than finding a lower mileage car worth a lot more. My mom just sold her 2000 VQ30DE-k maxima with 234,000 miles on it that ran like new. All she replaced were the coils and MAF once at 60k and two motor mounts at around 170k or so. Hers was an auto and she got $6k for it!
Old 03-14-2007, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
put your head down in the passenger footwell. Look to the left. It's kind of up on top of the transmission tunnel behind the dash side cladding. Kind of hard to get to, but it's there.

Jesus wiring this is going to be a pain in the ***. VAFC-II
Old 03-15-2007, 06:29 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by machinehead131
Jesus wiring this is going to be a pain in the ***. VAFC-II
Easy once you've done it once or twice.

Remove the glovebox and side panel, remove the ECU (4 grounding bolts), remove ECU from bracket, remove harness cover, separate ECU from harness, strip some of that black tape off in roder to expose more wire and maybe a little extra slack (be EXTREMELY careful not to cut into the main harness don't farking aske me why I stress this), use these pointers, perform sensor checks/set-up (info in VAFC owners manual)

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread