5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 04:46 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by JBB
Thanks, Mark. Also, I'm trying to confirm the gasket 14010A is the one I'll have to replace to change the rear bank of spark plugs. Is this the correct one?
If you have the extra money, this would be a good time to also change the rear valve cover (they typically leak) with a 6th gen valve cover (which is about 1/3rd the price and eliminates the leak issues) and also get the NWP phenolic intake spacers.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:44 PM
JBB
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
You can reuse the existing one if it's still looks alright, but for $4-5, might as well install new. And yes, that's the correct seal. Here's a write up.

http://www.vqpower.com/v2/articles.php?article_id=27
Thanks for the confirmation. I could've sworn that gasket was quoted as being $28 to $30 just a few months ago- the 4 bucks made me think I had something wrong. Thanks for the link to your write-up, also. Very helpful. I bought the car new, and am at 110,000 miles now, so this is my first spark plug change.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:49 PM
JBB
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Scottwax
If you have the extra money, this would be a good time to also change the rear valve cover (they typically leak) with a 6th gen valve cover (which is about 1/3rd the price and eliminates the leak issues) and also get the NWP phenolic intake spacers.
You've got my attention- How do you tell if the old one is leaking and needs to be replaced? And, I don't even know what NWP spacers are. I can probably spend the money; my question would be, how hard is it to do the work? I'm mechanically inclined, but not trained.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
Looks like a stock SE with tint.........I dont see MOTM potential.

ya for now..obx headers and exhaust is shortly down the road..but would that change the picture??
Old 12-19-2010, 07:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey i have a quick question. I've noticed the rpm on my 2001 Maxima GLE have been bouncing slightly (about 100-250 rpm) when coming to a stop, what causes this? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:18 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by jakemort74
hey i have a quick question. I've noticed the rpm on my 2001 Maxima GLE have been bouncing slightly (about 100-250 rpm) when coming to a stop, what causes this? Thanks in advance.
Consistently? Randomly? Related to down shifting on the transmission at all? Does the RPM bounce any other time? Could be related to your TPS, or IACV.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by 2kmaxseblack2k
ya for now..obx headers and exhaust is shortly down the road..but would that change the picture??
Probably not. Take a look at the passed and present MOTM's to get an idea. Most MOTM's have done some sort of mod to the exterior and interior to make it stand out from a stock Max. All these things cost money.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:41 AM

i'm looking to upgrade my suspension. although i would love to get some coilovers, i live in PA (harsh winters), i'm not looking to slam my car, and financially it is not an option for me. so, i've decided on illuminas. my dilemma is what springs to pair with these struts. i've done my homework but i have not seen any reviews on the tokico strut/spring kits like this one from racetechperformance.com

http://www.racetechperformance.com/P...tCode=T-ILK298

my question is, does anyone have experience running these springs on a 5.5gen? im confident the struts will be fine for my application. the drop is 1.25" F and 1.0" R, which should have a nice stance to it. bringing the front down more. looks like a nice price on these, $598. they also have the HP kits (springs and struts) for $418. i'm assuming the springs are the same. Also, what else will i need to complete the job? front strut mounts with bearings, dust boots .... and??? Am i missing anything else. i'm looking for a good mix of handling, stance and ride (aren't we all???) so, your input would be appreciated.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

It seems pretty consistent, always when I'm coming to a stop (while city driving). I appreciate any insight.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:12 AM

What steps are needed to remove the rear tail lights?
Old 12-20-2010, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by 02max245
What steps are needed to remove the rear tail lights?
Remove the cheap plastic fasteners that hold the carpet up against the inside of the trunk. Once you can pull that crap away, the tail light is held on with about 4 little nuts. Remove the nuts (careful not to drop any) and disconnect wire harness. Push the tail light out carefully. Mine had black adhesive holding it in as well which can be seperated while you push. No need to reapply the adhesive since most of it stays on the taillight.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:38 PM

Tried all that and nothing, the adhesive seems to really be holding in the taillight.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:47 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

It seems pretty consistent, always when I'm coming to a stop (while city driving). I appreciate any insight.
It would be helpful if you could answer all of the questions I asked....
Old 12-20-2010, 01:48 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by 02max245
Tried all that and nothing, the adhesive seems to really be holding in the taillight.
Just keep pushing from the inside and be careful when it pops. It might be a good idea to have a friend help and be ready to catch it when it pops off.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by foodmanry
Consistently? Randomly? Related to down shifting on the transmission at all? Does the RPM bounce any other time? Could be related to your TPS, or IACV.
sorry, here ya go. yes its been consistently doing it when braking, i dont know (but it makes sense) that its happening while downshifting b/c its bouncing as i pull up to the stop sign, red light. etc.. this is the only time they are bouncing, and like i said earlier its only bouncing slightly (say from 750-1000). thanks for your patience and insight.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

IM NEW

Hey all, i new tho the hole posting and forums thing, this is my first one and i have a question about my maxima gle 03. now i don't really know the difference between gens as yo say it! but i got this maxima in July and i love it , but i wanna put a short ram airintak on it and i cant find the site to buy one! i think its call a Frankencar short-ram intake! there are plenty of pics of it on the forum, but im just learning how to use the forum! it would be greatly appreciated if some one could give me the site where to perchise this product bc everyone seems to talk highly about it! ty verry much. Justin
Old 12-21-2010, 05:51 AM
Suspension Yoda

Shameless plug

"I HATE the flimsy/saggy spare tire cover in my trunk. Where can I get a solid & sturdy replacement?"

Answer: Read this thread and PM me
http://forums.maxima.org/general-max...tion-sale.html

Last edited by djfrestyl; 12-21-2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:56 AM
Suspension Yoda

PM sent.

Originally Posted by SHIFT_6
i'm looking to upgrade my suspension. although i would love to get some coilovers, i live in PA (harsh winters), i'm not looking to slam my car, and financially it is not an option for me. so, i've decided on illuminas. my dilemma is what springs to pair with these struts. i've done my homework but i have not seen any reviews on the tokico strut/spring kits like this one from racetechperformance.com

http://www.racetechperformance.com/P...tCode=T-ILK298

my question is, does anyone have experience running these springs on a 5.5gen? im confident the struts will be fine for my application. the drop is 1.25" F and 1.0" R, which should have a nice stance to it. bringing the front down more. looks like a nice price on these, $598. they also have the HP kits (springs and struts) for $418. i'm assuming the springs are the same. Also, what else will i need to complete the job? front strut mounts with bearings, dust boots .... and??? Am i missing anything else. i'm looking for a good mix of handling, stance and ride (aren't we all???) so, your input would be appreciated.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:04 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

sorry, here ya go. yes its been consistently doing it when braking, i dont know (but it makes sense) that its happening while downshifting b/c its bouncing as i pull up to the stop sign, red light. etc.. this is the only time they are bouncing, and like i said earlier its only bouncing slightly (say from 750-1000). thanks for your patience and insight.
If it is happening while downshifting, then it is something in your transmission causing it to slip slightly on a downshift.

Has your transmission exhibited any other slipping issues? On our 5th gens we have known issues with the TCM and/or solenoids causing slipping from 1 to 2 or 2 to 3. Can be happening during a downshift, but pretty rare.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:37 AM

So this newbie has searched and been rewarded with the idle learn/reset fix. I applied the methods and car went from not being able to idle at all, to a perfect 750+- rpm steady idle.

My problem is that 200 miles later, it seemed to unlearn the idle and went to dipping down to near stall/actually stalling. I performed the reset again and all is well.

My MAF seems clean and recently replaced (I just got the car) No check engine light/codes. Car runs great. Cold start idle is a perfect 900-1100 rpm range.

Thoughts? IACV? All help is appreciated.

Last edited by mrpopo573; 12-21-2010 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

im looking for a good short ram air intake for my 03 maxima gle, if n e one can direst me to a site that would be awsome of you, thanks alot
Old 12-21-2010, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jaykidq85
im looking for a good short ram air intake for my 03 maxima gle, if n e one can direst me to a site that would be awsome of you, thanks alot
Use the search feature here on the site. This topic has been discussed a bunch. Take a look here for some opinions.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...you-using.html

Welcome to the .org!
Old 12-22-2010, 12:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i just got my 5th gen maxima se last month i noticed the lower radiator support is rusted i think i seen a thread on here about it. i seen on ebay they have them for about $150.00 with shipping is there another site that's cheaper and i also have a 2001 nissan maxima se 20th anniversary edition i wanted to know about putting a mesh grill in it how would i go about doing it i see ebay has a cut out of the original grill for $30.00 im guessing you would have to buy the mesh and clips form home depot if anyone has any suggestion's it would be very helpfull.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:15 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by scott33
i just got my 5th gen maxima se last month i noticed the lower radiator support is rusted i think i seen a thread on here about it. i seen on ebay they have them for about $150.00 with shipping is there another site that's cheaper and i also have a 2001 nissan maxima se 20th anniversary edition i wanted to know about putting a mesh grill in it how would i go about doing it i see ebay has a cut out of the original grill for $30.00 im guessing you would have to buy the mesh and clips form home depot if anyone has any suggestion's it would be very helpfull.
Suggestion #1 - use punctuation. PLEASE.

Rad support: http://forums.maxima.org/general-max...-rust-fix.html

There are plenty of vendors for grilles - both on the forum and online. Search and you won't have to cut your grill or buy home depot clips.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:51 AM

2002 Maxima SE, 4AT

Accelerating from stop, RPMs climb to about 5K rpm and hangs in 1st gear. Have to ease off the accelerator for the shift. Is this a slipping tranny?

Thanks for any input!
Old 12-22-2010, 08:06 AM
Suspension Yoda

How many miles? Could be a shift solenoid.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:47 PM

might have to take the maxima to a local nssn dealership...my car has been running kinda funny and I kno its leaking oil..not exactly sure where but i was told it was into the gasket..i kno that the oil problem is bad..but how bad is this fix on a scale of 1-10? would u guys say 5 or 8 or 10? let me kno bc I kno i need it fixed just havent got around to the shop yet..thanks for comments and answers are much appreciated.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:29 PM

Im not really to happy with the braking power on the max. I was told that just bleeding the brakes would make a big difference. Is that true? Im not sure the last time the rotors were replaced but i got ceramic pads put on in the front about 2 months ago. Still have to replace the rear.
Where is a cheap place to purchase brembo blanks.

Last edited by djshwini; 12-23-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:35 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by mrpopo573
So this newbie has searched and been rewarded with the idle learn/reset fix. I applied the methods and car went from not being able to idle at all, to a perfect 750+- rpm steady idle.

My problem is that 200 miles later, it seemed to unlearn the idle and went to dipping down to near stall/actually stalling. I performed the reset again and all is well.

My MAF seems clean and recently replaced (I just got the car) No check engine light/codes. Car runs great. Cold start idle is a perfect 900-1100 rpm range.

Thoughts? IACV? All help is appreciated.
Possibly the IACV and/or the throttle body are dirty and need cleaning. It would hurt to take these apart and clean them up.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:38 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by 2kmaxseblack2k
might have to take the maxima to a local nssn dealership...my car has been running kinda funny and I kno its leaking oil..not exactly sure where but i was told it was into the gasket..i kno that the oil problem is bad..but how bad is this fix on a scale of 1-10? would u guys say 5 or 8 or 10? let me kno bc I kno i need it fixed just havent got around to the shop yet..thanks for comments and answers are much appreciated.
Which gasket? Could be a number of areas it is leaking oil....
Old 12-23-2010, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by foodmanry
Possibly the IACV and/or the throttle body are dirty and need cleaning. It would hurt to take these apart and clean them up.
Thanks, my thinking as well. I'll take them apart this weekend and buy some maf cleaner.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:38 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by djshwini
Im not really to happy with the braking power on the max. I was told that just bleeding the brakes would make a big difference. Is that true? Im not sure the last time the rotors were replaced but i got ceramic pads put on in the front about 2 months ago. Still have to replace the rear.
Where is a cheap place to purchase brembo blanks.
Bleeding the brakes will only eliminate air in the system (if there is any) and create a less "spongy" feeling. It will not help the braking power.

You can probably go with more aggressive material on the pads such as axxis or hawk. There are a number of varieties so do your research.

I believe there is someone in the group buy section of the forum who sells brake lines (stainless steel), pads, and rotors. Check there.

You may find you want to upgrade on to stainless steel brake lines, but this is purely up to you. These can help with brake fade (applying the brakes for long periods of time), but don't really help much with stopping power.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Happy Holidays guys!!! I'm new here and I have a quick question and was hoping that someone can help me out. I have a 2003 maxima gle and it wont start. For the last 2 weeks I've been havin trouble with steering and n oticed today that my power steering fluid is very low. Could this be the reason my car isn't starting?
Old 12-23-2010, 02:57 PM
Suspension Yoda

Power steering isn't really linked to starting. Does it crank? Does it turn over? Does it do nothing at all? Need more info.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

When I try to turn the car on it all the lights on the dashboard come on. It doesn't crank but kinda makes a flickering noise and the lights on the dashboard flicker on and off rapidly. I'm praying that it's just my battery, but I just dont know
Old 12-23-2010, 03:05 PM
Suspension Yoda

Sounds like a dead/weak battery. You haven't tried jumpstarting it yet?
Old 12-23-2010, 03:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Not yet. I discovered this while getting into my car going to work. (the absolute worst time) I left the car at home. I will say this though, Ive had this car since November of 08 and I have 2 12inch woofers in the trunk. I've never had the battery changed yet in this vehicle. Might this contribute to my problem?
Old 12-23-2010, 03:17 PM
Suspension Yoda

Yea possibly.

Post more info once you have it, if you can't figure it out.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

OK, I will do that. I really appreciate all your help. Merry X-mas!!!
Old 12-23-2010, 05:29 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by HERNAMEISVANITY
Happy Holidays guys!!! I'm new here and I have a quick question and was hoping that someone can help me out. I have a 2003 maxima gle and it wont start. For the last 2 weeks I've been havin trouble with steering and n oticed today that my power steering fluid is very low. Could this be the reason my car isn't starting?
Try jumping it, but I would go ahead and pull the battery, take it in for testing. Only then can you be sure if it just needs to be recharged or replaced. If it just needs recharging you need to look at either a better battery for your system, testing the alternator, or looking for a drain on the system somewhere.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread