5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by iwannamaximase
look in the parts for sale for a car?
and thanks, sorry im new lol wont happen again
is there anywhere for noobs like me to post?
Ok, I mis-intrepreted your post. Thought you were looking for a transmission for a swap or something. Sorry.

When the forums page of Maxima.org loads, scroll down to the CLASSIFIEDs section. You will see a "Maximas for sale thread". I think you can post in those sections, but I'm not really sure.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Ok, I mis-intrepreted your post. Thought you were looking for a transmission for a swap or something. Sorry.

When the forums page of Maxima.org loads, scroll down to the CLASSIFIEDs section. You will see a "Maximas for sale thread". I think you can post in those sections, but I'm not really sure.
It's not letting me post there
Old 09-06-2011, 08:52 AM
Suspension Yoda

^^ You don't have a high enough post count.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:37 AM

Maxima stalling/codes/rough idle - need help

So, I don't have a lot of posts, so I can't post a new thread, so I am kind of dealing with the same issues as this OP. Have read through tonnes of threads searching and researching as well.

I have had my 00 GLE for 4 yrs, bought it from my BIL, who babied it...ran perfect for him. About 3 yrs ago started to stall occassionally at stop lights. But otherwise ran great.

Problem became more frequent, so learned how to drive with one foot on gas and one on brake shen slowing down, to keep revs up.

About 1 year ago, started seeing more serious problems, and about 120,000 kilometres (Cdn). Not only the stalling, but Check engine light. So I changed MAF sensor, and got light reset...worked better for a little while, but came back. i also read that haing a K&N filter might be the problem, so I changed it for a Wix paper filter...no difference. I have tried changing coil packs, spark plugs, fuel filter, cleaning MAF sensor, and cleaning the Throttle body very well...and nothing is working . This past weekend, in addition to the Check engine light being on, the TCS and SLIP lights came on. Car starts, but idles very rough, like its choking for fuel. If you try to rev it up, it revs no more than 2350, no matter how hard you press the gas pedal. Then if you try to put it in gear, it dies immediately.

I do not have a dealer close to where I am located (About 100 miles away) That is why I am trying things myself. So I bought an OBDii code reader..here is what it said:
Code 1/2 P0100 Generic Mass or Volume Air flow circuit
Code 2/2 P0732 Gear 2 incorrect Ratio

then toggling down, it said the following:
Fuel syst CL
Fuel syst2 CL
Cal Load % 35.3
ECT 50
STFT B1 % -10.9
LTFT B1 % 0.0
STFT B2 % -10.9
LTFT B2 % 0.0
Eng RPM 1075
Veh Speed 40

I called the service department of the closest Nissan dealership and they said it sounds like I need a new ECU...about $2500..!! and there are no guarantees it will solve problem...?? I am at a loss as what to do next?

Can I get some advice from someone who has been through this and fixed it successfully? I also found this site when trying to find things on the net...check this out, literally hundres of people with this generation of Maxima with same issues, and no one has been able to get it resolved...I can't beleive such a great car in every other aspect has such a poor reputation with this issue

http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/nissan/maxima/r4306/comments/

I can be emailed at curtis@gveag.com if anyone cares to suggest anything else and will check this forum regularily for replies. I can't even sell the car with it running this way....
Old 09-06-2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
^^ You don't have a high enough post count.
Thats what i figured, can someone post a WTB post for me. I am looking for a 4th or 5th gen for no more than 4500 around Chicago. If not can you help me find places to post lol i dont wanna spam anyone
Old 09-06-2011, 01:58 PM
Suspension Yoda

Thats what i figured, can someone post a WTB post for me. I am looking for a 4th or 5th gen for no more than 4500 around Chicago. If not can you help me find places to post lol i dont wanna spam anyone
Search that subforum until one comes up? Also check craigslist. No one is going to post a WTB thread for you. Alternatively you can post usefully in other threads to get your post count up (DO NOT SPAM) and then you can create a thread.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:34 PM

Search that subforum until one comes up? Also check craigslist. No one is going to post a WTB thread for you. Alternatively you can post usefully in other threads to get your post count up (DO NOT SPAM) and then you can create a thread.
Alright, thanks a lot. Ill do that, hopefully i can find one so i can join you guys in discussion lol i want a maxima so bad
Old 09-06-2011, 06:38 PM

Alright, thanks a lot. Ill do that, hopefully i can find one so i can join you guys in discussion lol i want a maxima so bad
Here's a 1999 SE, 137K miles, $3900, Wheaton, IL

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Old 09-06-2011, 07:09 PM

Thanks, I cant get a hold of this person though. Have you seen any others?
Old 09-06-2011, 07:12 PM

Do you think this is a well priced car? Is 137xxx miles a lot for a maxima? Im new to maximas
Old 09-06-2011, 08:14 PM

Do you think this is a well priced car? Is 137xxx miles a lot for a maxima? Im new to maximas
The mileage seems about average for a 99. 12K a year is considered to be what the average person drives a year. 137K isn't bad at all. There's a lot of members on Maxima.org that have over 200k and their cars are still going strong. If the car is in decent shape, the price seems ok, maybe a little high. Since you are in the snowbelt, check the car's front crossmember that is under the radiator for rusting out. If it is, the car isn't worth 4 grand. Also during the test drive, stop at an autozone and ask them to check for trouble codes. Too many people take the Check Engine light bulb out to hide things.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:37 PM

The mileage seems about average for a 99. 12K a year is considered to be what the average person drives a year. 137K isn't bad at all. There's a lot of members on Maxima.org that have over 200k and their cars are still going strong. If the car is in decent shape, the price seems ok, maybe a little high. Since you are in the snowbelt, check the car's front crossmember that is under the radiator for rusting out. If it is, the car isn't worth 4 grand. Also during the test drive, stop at an autozone and ask them to check for trouble codes. Too many people take the Check Engine light bulb out to hide things.
alright thanks a lot, if you happen to see any other maximas (4th or 5th gen) please let me know. I would really appreciate it, i really want a maxima!
Old 09-06-2011, 09:22 PM

alright thanks a lot, if you happen to see any other maximas (4th or 5th gen) please let me know. I would really appreciate it, i really want a maxima!
You can search autotrader.com and cars.com like I did. There were others, I think one was in Downers grove.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:25 AM
Suspension Yoda

^^ I found my current car on www.cars.com
Old 09-07-2011, 06:14 AM

^^ I found my current car on www.cars.com
Same, had it shipped from Houston to St. Louis.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Sylcurt
I do not have a dealer close to where I am located (About 100 miles away) That is why I am trying things myself. So I bought an OBDii code reader..here is what it said:
Code 2/2 P0732 Gear 2 incorrect Ratio...
Just an educated guess on my part, but doing some research on the P0732 problem and considering your symptoms and repair history with MAF replacement and throttle body cleaning, it's possible your TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) is mal-adjusted.

Again, just an educated guess. Unfortunately, to find this stuff out you have to take it to a Nissan dealer, or someone else really knowledgeable, has the diagnostic equipment AND is motivated to save you money and not just swap $2500 parts like the ECU.

I can find quite adequate room to agree with you: ever since it went out of warranty my 2001 Maxima has been a nightmare with CEL's caused be problematic emissions sensors, coils, MAF, motor mounts. And the horror stories I read of... like parts that fail on the engine and fry the ECU... just make me worried about what's next. I seriously doubt I'll ever get a Nissan again.

Last edited by buddywh1; 09-07-2011 at 06:26 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:55 AM

If you have the FSM, follow the procedures to check the wiring and the pin connectors for the MAF. Since you've replaced the sensor, but a code still shows up for mass air flow circuit, it sounds like there could be damage to the wiring or the connector.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:59 AM

When I bought my 01 max this past weekend, I failed to look at tire sizes. Apparently, I have 225/55/17 in the rear and 225/50/17 in the front. The 2 front tires are shot. Should I replace the fronts with 225/55 or 225/55? The rear tires are in decent shape.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Suspension Yoda

Standard size is 225/50-17
Old 09-07-2011, 11:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

03 ECM blowing fuses
I just installed a motor from a 06 maxima into my 03 and everything pluged up but now my fuse in the wiring harness has blown and is showing ground. I unplugged everything to motor and the ground only shows when I plug the ecm up. Can there be anything else that will make this happen? It also happens with my spare ecm. I just hope that its something simple.Please help!!!

Sorry didnt realize some one had responded to my post. But as of right now the car will not start as soon as I plug the fuse located on the engine harness next to the the front valve cover it blows. and my ecm does not receive power. I did confirm that this fuse connector has gone to ground. It's been 7 weeks now since I installed the engine and can't start the car I'm trying not to have to go to the stealership. Any help will be appreciated. Also I disconnected everything except for the ecm and it only goes to ground when the ecm is connected.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by buddywh1
Just an educated guess on my part, but doing some research on the P0732 problem and considering your symptoms and repair history with MAF replacement and throttle body cleaning, it's possible your TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) is mal-adjusted.

Again, just an educated guess. Unfortunately, to find this stuff out you have to take it to a Nissan dealer, or someone else really knowledgeable, has the diagnostic equipment AND is motivated to save you money and not just swap $2500 parts like the ECU.

I can find quite adequate room to agree with you: ever since it went out of warranty my 2001 Maxima has been a nightmare with CEL's caused be problematic emissions sensors, coils, MAF, motor mounts. And the horror stories I read of... like parts that fail on the engine and fry the ECU... just make me worried about what's next. I seriously doubt I'll ever get a Nissan again.
Thanks very much for your opinion...I am making plans to have the car towed to the dealer this weekend and leave it there for them to work on next week....my bank account is gonna take a huge hit with this one I fear.....between towing costs, rental of a replacement vehicle, and the time away from work , in addition to the actual parts and labour I will be facing....all just to get an 11 yr old car back up to the way it should be running.....would be nice if that cash was going into "improvements" and mods, rather than just back up to par....

none the less, appreciate the reply...and I will certainly suggest this to the dealer to start off with...
Old 09-07-2011, 12:47 PM

Glasshouse sunroof?

Why isn't the sunroof tinted on my 01 Maxima SE. I've had several vehicles with a sunroof and no tint on the windows. However, they all had tint on the sunroof. I'm I missing something?
Old 09-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Suspension Yoda

Nope, they're just not tinted.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Suspension Yoda

Thanks very much for your opinion...I am making plans to have the car towed to the dealer this weekend and leave it there for them to work on next week....my bank account is gonna take a huge hit with this one I fear.....between towing costs, rental of a replacement vehicle, and the time away from work , in addition to the actual parts and labour I will be facing....all just to get an 11 yr old car back up to the way it should be running.....would be nice if that cash was going into "improvements" and mods, rather than just back up to par....

none the less, appreciate the reply...and I will certainly suggest this to the dealer to start off with...
Why not replace the part yourself before incurring the cost and inconvenience? There is plenty of information here that can walk you through it.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:56 PM

...all just to get an 11 yr old car back up to the way it should be running...
Well, to be fair it IS an 11 year old car; and so is mine. I'm just peeved 'cause the CEL's started right at about 65K miles. At first intermittent but after emissions warranty expired they weren't staying off. To get repaired under federal emissions warranty, you have to fail an emissions test. Magically, when they reset codes and it's in warranty it always stays off but once it wasn't in warranty it doesn't.

Finding and fixing the coils, O2 sensors, etc. is not easy or cheap since I had to take it in to someone with a lift and heated garage to replace the O2 sensors. The coils I could do, but it does leaves a very bad taste for me when I realize they were borderline defective and covered by a service bulletin. And putting down almost $500 when I didn't know for sure that was it is just scary.

But not as bad as someone suggesting $2500, to be sure.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi. I have a 2000 Maxima SE that I bought 2 yrs ago. I wasn't planning on modding it - I was taking break after my 16 yr old totaled my EVO 8. Rolled it several times while I was home semi-sedated from a hernia operation. Oh well, he was wearing a seat belt and didn't get a scratch. You can always replace a car. Bought a truck.

My journey to this site started when I took my Maxima to a muffler shop today to have a broken hanger replaced. When they showed how rusty the other hangers were I started thinking about replacing the muffler with a cat-back. I had a Fujitsubo RM01A on my EVO. It may not have produced the highest hp but it was pretty quiet which I liked after getting tired of my Magnaflow that was pretty loud. My older son used my Magnaflow on his EVO 8 MR and after he got tired of the sound he replaced it with my Fujitsubo.

I asked him to search the net for a cat-back for the Maxima. He sent me several youtube clips. He liked the GReddy EVO2 but according to the GReddy web site it has been discontinued.

As I was watching the youtube clips on cat-backs I got distracted watching clips of supercharged Maximas. I liked the clips from RIPPMODS - mostly Jeeps.

The only supercharger kits for Maximas on youtube seemed to be Stillen but they don't list them on their web site either so I assume they are discontinued too.

So my question is -- what exhaust systems and performance parts are there that are still made for a 2000 Maxima SE?
Old 09-07-2011, 06:43 PM
L36

So, I don't have a lot of posts, so I can't post a new thread, so I am kind of dealing with the same issues as this OP. Have read through tonnes of threads searching and researching as well.

I have had my 00 GLE for 4 yrs, bought it from my BIL, who babied it...ran perfect for him. About 3 yrs ago started to stall occassionally at stop lights. But otherwise ran great.

Problem became more frequent, so learned how to drive with one foot on gas and one on brake shen slowing down, to keep revs up.

About 1 year ago, started seeing more serious problems, and about 120,000 kilometres (Cdn). Not only the stalling, but Check engine light. So I changed MAF sensor, and got light reset...worked better for a little while, but came back. i also read that haing a K&N filter might be the problem, so I changed it for a Wix paper filter...no difference. I have tried changing coil packs, spark plugs, fuel filter, cleaning MAF sensor, and cleaning the Throttle body very well...and nothing is working . This past weekend, in addition to the Check engine light being on, the TCS and SLIP lights came on. Car starts, but idles very rough, like its choking for fuel. If you try to rev it up, it revs no more than 2350, no matter how hard you press the gas pedal. Then if you try to put it in gear, it dies immediately.

Code 2/2 P0732 Gear 2 incorrect Ratio

then toggling down, it said the following:
Fuel syst CL
Fuel syst2 CL
Cal Load % 35.3
ECT 50
STFT B1 % -10.9
LTFT B1 % 0.0
STFT B2 % -10.9
LTFT B2 % 0.0
Eng RPM 1075
Veh Speed 40

I called the service department of the closest Nissan dealership and they said it sounds like I need a new ECU...about $2500..!! and there are no guarantees it will solve problem...?? I am at a loss as what to do next?

Can I get some advice from someone who has been through this and fixed it successfully? I also found this site when trying to find things on the net...check this out, literally hundres of people with this generation of Maxima with same issues, and no one has been able to get it resolved...I can't beleive such a great car in every other aspect has such a poor reputation with this issue

http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/nissan/maxima/r4306/comments/

I can be emailed at curtis@gveag.com if anyone cares to suggest anything else and will check this forum regularily for replies. I can't even sell the car with it running this way....
It might be your MAF sensor. Try cleaning it or replacing it...
Old 09-07-2011, 08:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 2000 Maxima it ping&knock when climbing hill.
I already change the spark plug all six coil and I always use 91 octane gas. but stll have a problem. it has 107K miles
Old 09-08-2011, 08:07 AM

Why not replace the part yourself before incurring the cost and inconvenience? There is plenty of information here that can walk you through it.
I have changed so many parts already. 2 MAF sensors in 3 yrs (which are easy for sure to change) I have also tried the cleaning method described here also...seems to work for a couple of weeks, then CEL comes on again. I have also changed Idle control valve, cleaned throttle body, done sparks and coils, Fuel filter, and a few other "easy" repairs. I am now at the point where some of these sensors are buried so deep in the heart of the engine that it is beyond my ability to change them.

I see a Nissan parts place online that sells an ECU for abouot $800, with a $100 core fee....but my understanding is that the dealer needs to program everything...and when I talked to my dealer, they said they will not work on a part that was not bought through their store. They kind of have you by the short and curly's...

So, I am going to borrow a vehicle and tow the Maxima to the dealership with one of those U-haul dollys....on the weekend, and they will have it next week.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by L36
It might be your MAF sensor. Try cleaning it or replacing it...
Seems like the fix, however, have replaced 2 in last 3 years (the last one I also changed my K & N air filter for a traditional paper filter)...reset codes and things work for a couple of weeks, as well as cleaning using the method shown on here.... then the problem comes back....worse than previous.

I really like the Maxima for ride quality, comfort, fuel economy, etc, however, mechanically it has been a bit of a bear....in addition to the stalling and issues mentioned I have had, I have had issues with the sagging doors, the blower motor was squealing so changed that, and the front axle boots. Just seems odd for a higher end car like the Maxima that has been garaged all its life, and never driven hard. I see now that it is also developing some rust just at the base of front of the back wheel well.

An unrelated question though for other owners: Does your engine have a cover of some kind over it? The reason I ask is that I see several threaded small holes in various places almost as if there would be a bolt on cover over the valve covers ...mine never had it,,,,so you see the top of the engine and a lot of wiring and cables...its no big deal, but just curious.

I really appreciate the support and suggestions however from everyone.

I will let you know what the dealer tells me....

Curtis
Old 09-08-2011, 08:28 AM
Suspension Yoda

I'm talking about replacing your TPS yourself.

And you can get a used ECU from the classifieds section for $100-$200 on here. I've seen them for as little as $75.

As long as it's the same year and transmission, no programming is necessary.

The only time a module needs to be programmed to your car is when the SECU is replaced, which requires the keys to be reprogrammed.

Oh, and yes, there is an engine cover. You can also get that from the classifieds section. Just put up a WTB thread. Make sure the seller includes the screws with the part

Shown in bright silver/red stripe here:

I have changed so many parts already. 2 MAF sensors in 3 yrs (which are easy for sure to change) I have also tried the cleaning method described here also...seems to work for a couple of weeks, then CEL comes on again. I have also changed Idle control valve, cleaned throttle body, done sparks and coils, Fuel filter, and a few other "easy" repairs. I am now at the point where some of these sensors are buried so deep in the heart of the engine that it is beyond my ability to change them.

I see a Nissan parts place online that sells an ECU for abouot $800, with a $100 core fee....but my understanding is that the dealer needs to program everything...and when I talked to my dealer, they said they will not work on a part that was not bought through their store. They kind of have you by the short and curly's...

So, I am going to borrow a vehicle and tow the Maxima to the dealership with one of those U-haul dollys....on the weekend, and they will have it next week.

Last edited by djfrestyl; 09-08-2011 at 08:31 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:21 PM

I am looking for a maxima and i found a 01 maxima se for $5000 with Greddy cat-back exhaust and Stillen cold-air intake. on kbb it says if the car is in perfect condition the car should be worth 4500. How much should i offer for the car?
Old 09-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Suspension Yoda

Never go by perfect condition. No used car is ever in perfect condition.

What are the Fair/Good values?
Old 09-08-2011, 12:55 PM

Never go by perfect condition. No used car is ever in perfect condition.

What are the Fair/Good values?
excellent - 4500
good - 4000
fair - 3400
Old 09-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Suspension Yoda

Ok, there's your starting point. You have the data. It's up to you to decide what you feel is a fair price.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:44 PM

Ok, there's your starting point. You have the data. It's up to you to decide what you feel is a fair price.
alright thanks a lot. should i take into account that he has a greddy exhaust and stillen cold air
Old 09-08-2011, 01:58 PM
Suspension Yoda

Nope, aftermarket parts do not add value to a car.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi all;
Having a strange electrical problem. After a day or two of not driving [2000 SE], I start my car and the CD and tape eject, all radio stations are wiped and I can only select tape or CD on my deck. It seems to factory reset.

After driving for maybe 5-10 minutes, I stop and start the car and everything is working again. Have to reset the radio stations but that's all. This has happened maybe 5 times in the 15 months I've owned the car. Just this week, the drivers side headlight has joined the mix. Drive for 10-15 minutes, restart the car and all is working again. The car starts with no problem.

I was thinking a blown fuse but I doubt that. Is there something other than the battery that regulates power while the car is parked? Seems as if there isn't enough power maintaining certain functions while the car is idle and needs to be driven a while to build up power.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Deke218; 09-08-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:54 PM

Nope, aftermarket parts do not add value to a car.
alright thanks a lot. thats what i thought but the guy said the lowest he'll go is 4500 so hopefully i can convince him lol any advice?
Old 09-09-2011, 12:50 PM

Can someone tell me what the measurements are for the crank pulley. Just ordered a lightweight pulley and I think they sent me the wrong one.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread