5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 06:30 AM

So last night after having many camshaft position sensor codes I decided to go ahead and replace them both. I bought them from my Nissan dealer and went to replace the one closest to the radiator first. Taking out was simple, but it wont snap back in. Wondering if I broke the clip. Anyone have experience with these?
I didnt even try the rear one due to the baseball game
Old 10-29-2011, 01:20 AM

I have a 2003 maxima se. it keeps over heating but not all the way hot. it used to stay at the 4th line, now it sometimes will be there or all the way up to the 2nd to last line. sometimes on the freeway it will stay cool but then gradually get higher then drop. sometimes it will get really warm while im driving about 65 in 4th gear in a auto. but if i drop it down to 3rd it brings the temp down about a line or 2. any one PLLEEAASSSEEEE have any answers or help??
Old 10-29-2011, 08:42 AM
Suspension Yoda

Have you done any diagnosis at all? How's your coolant level? Does your heater work? Was your radiator ever flushed or replaced?

Help us help you.....
Old 10-29-2011, 01:16 PM

I changed all of my spark plugs this weekend, and probably a month before this, I replaced 4 of the coil packs. The other two have not given me any codes. When I pulled these two out to change the plugs, I noticed that they had the Nissan logo on the stem of the coil pack, but it was ground off, and so was the Nissan part number. What is the reason for this?
Old 10-29-2011, 01:42 PM

Fluid level is completly full. Heater works, but makes some noises when its on. I put a brand new radiatior in less than a year ago.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:45 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by reno_famous
Fluid level is completly full. Heater works, but makes some noises when its on. I put a brand new radiatior in less than a year ago.
Are you checking the overflow or the coolant level at the radiator itself?

Originally Posted by candt
I changed all of my spark plugs this weekend, and probably a month before this, I replaced 4 of the coil packs. The other two have not given me any codes. When I pulled these two out to change the plugs, I noticed that they had the Nissan logo on the stem of the coil pack, but it was ground off, and so was the Nissan part number. What is the reason for this?
Those are aftermarket coils using OEM housings, or made from the same molds as the OE coils.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:57 PM

The fluid is completly full in the radiator and about half full on the overflow. today when i was driving about 65 on the freeway it was one line below the top, then when i got off the freeway it dropped down like 2-3 lines.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:01 PM

Both fans running fine?
Old 10-30-2011, 06:09 PM

Yupp.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:18 AM

Yupp.
Next most obvious is the thermostat then. Pull it, test it, or just replace it if you feel like it.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

how to bypass inhibitor relay

My 2002 automatic trans maxima inhibitory relay has been stolen by some one, i am not able to find in my city Jazan, Saudi Arabia.
the problem is that i cant able to start the car, there is no crank
so kindly help me how to stat the car now?
Old 11-01-2011, 12:21 AM

The fluid is completly full in the radiator and about half full on the overflow. today when i was driving about 65 on the freeway it was one line below the top, then when i got off the freeway it dropped down like 2-3 lines.
check also the exterior of radiator - might be just clogged with leaves and everything like that
to clean it up you'll have to use air under pressure
Old 11-01-2011, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by arbabbio1
My 2002 automatic trans maxima inhibitory relay has been stolen by some one, i am not able to find in my city Jazan, Saudi Arabia.
In the service manual, that part is called the "Park/Neutral Position Switch". You should be able to order it from any Nissan dealer.

If someone took it, they will have also disconnected a bunch of stuff in there, so starting the car is a very bad idea.

If you reconnect everything, there are 5 wires, one for each setting that you would need to apply 12V to to make the transmission computer and ECM happy.

See the service manual for the automatic transmission, page 107, step 6.
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/2002/AT.pdf
Old 11-01-2011, 09:37 AM

Man, you got some crazy people over there if they are going to the lengths of stealing a switch. I just read in the news today that Saudi Arabia just executed a man because he predicted the future ("sorcerer").

Good luck fixing your Maxima.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:44 AM

Is timing chain noise something that is only heard at startup, or is it something that can also be heard after the engine has warmed up?
Old 11-01-2011, 01:52 PM

Is timing chain noise something that is only heard at startup, or is it something that can also be heard after the engine has warmed up?
It is usually heard when just idling, whether cold or not.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:13 PM

As mentioned normally heard during idling ... can also be heard if your engine oil level becomes low so you may wish to check that as well seeing the VQ's tend to really love the oil.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:47 PM

Really stupid and off-topic question (believe me, I searched and couldn't find it):

How do I post an image thumbnail that when you click on it, it opens the full-sized image?
Old 11-01-2011, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by EuroDriver
Really stupid and off-topic question (believe me, I searched and couldn't find it):

How do I post an image thumbnail that when you click on it, it opens the full-sized image?
Don't think you can since this crappy forum doesn't allow post attachments like normal ones do.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
Don't think you can since this crappy forum doesn't allow post attachments like normal ones do.
Yeah, I noticed that, but I have seen a few posts - especially on the classifieds where there's a small thumbnail and when you click on it, it opens a full-sized pic in a new window. I figured that's pretty cool and can realy lighten up server resources.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Man, you got some crazy people over there if they are going to the lengths of stealing a switch. I just read in the news today that Saudi Arabia just executed a man because he predicted the future ("sorcerer").

Good luck fixing your Maxima.
I am a Doctor, my profession is to save human life, not stealing cars, here i am talking about my car.
I bypass the neutral parking relay now the engine is cranking but not run.
what to do now?
Old 11-02-2011, 04:50 AM

I am a Doctor, my profession is to save human life, not stealing cars, here i am talking about my car.
I bypass the neutral parking relay now the engine is cranking but not run.
what to do now?
Guess Saudi's have no sense of humor.

What else is missing from the vehicle? Sounds like the alarm system is preventing it to start.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by homeyclaus
In the service manual, that part is called the "Park/Neutral Position Switch". You should be able to order it from any Nissan dealer.

If someone took it, they will have also disconnected a bunch of stuff in there, so starting the car is a very bad idea.

If you reconnect everything, there are 5 wires, one for each setting that you would need to apply 12V to to make the transmission computer and ECM happy.

See the service manual for the automatic transmission, page 107, step 6.
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/2002/AT.pdf
I bypass the relay by conecting the wire directly , now after that when i try to start, there is now cranking of engine only. not able to run the engine
Now what to do? only cranking not run
Old 11-02-2011, 06:38 AM
Suspension Yoda

If it's cranking but not starting, as mentioned above, it sounds like you have an issue with your alarm - or more specifically, the immobilizer system.

Has anything happened with your key recently? Do you have a spare key you can try?
Old 11-02-2011, 09:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
If it's cranking but not starting, as mentioned above, it sounds like you have an issue with your alarm - or more specifically, the immobilizer system.

Has anything happened with your key recently? Do you have a spare key you can try?
I think u are corect, i dont have spare key
I think some one try to start the car with fake key, because my audio system is stolen by the thief. MY be due to use of other key the immobilizer system lock the car.
I also noted that when the key is in on position, the security red light blink in every 3 sec. So how to reset or disable the immobilizer system to stat the car.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:05 AM

I definately have some noise coming from the timing chain area of the car, and I only hear it at idle. Driving around I hear nothing. I also only hear it after the car has warmed up. After doing some searching on this topic, it almost sounds as if it isnt something I really need to be concerned about.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:17 AM

I think some one try to start the car with fake key, because my audio system is stolen by the thief. MY be due to use of other key the immobilizer system lock the car.
I also noted that when the key is in on position, the security red light blink in every 3 sec. So how to reset or disable the immobilizer system to stat the car.
With your key, stand outside with the doors shut and unlock the door with the key. This should deactive the alarm.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

With your key, stand outside with the doors shut and unlock the door with the key. This should deactive the alarm.
I tried your method, but sorry its not working
Old 11-02-2011, 04:03 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by EuroDriver

You can easily do that with off-site image hosting (photobucket, etc). Or you could just add attachments to your post. See the attachment below.

Working fine here Possible that you have to be a supporting member for that feature.

It's possible that it's just in lock mode. Try this:
Attached Thumbnails 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread-untitled.png  
Old 11-02-2011, 06:11 PM

I have a dilemma I need some answers for. My 2k2 se has the stock HID headlight setup and my headlights have recently been sabotaged by someone. I don't want to pay for the stock headlight replacements because they are too expensive and the stock HID wiring will not work with any of the aftermarket headlights I've found. Is there any way to use aftermarket headlights with the stock setup CHEAPLY?
Old 11-02-2011, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by MaxiBeast
I have a dilemma I need some answers for. My 2k2 se has the stock HID headlight setup and my headlights have recently been sabotaged by someone. I don't want to pay for the stock headlight replacements because they are too expensive and the stock HID wiring will not work with any of the aftermarket headlights I've found. Is there any way to use aftermarket headlights with the stock setup CHEAPLY?
So, what exactly is wrong with them? The lens broken, ballasts, etc?
Old 11-02-2011, 06:25 PM

So, what exactly is wrong with them? The lens broken, ballasts, etc?
They still work perfectly fine. Someone sprayed something on them and it literally is eating the plastic and turning it colors. It looks horrible. Aside from that they are fine.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've been looking through but haven't found a definitive answer to this. I've got an automatic 2000 Maxima GXE with 135k on it, all stock, but I'm looking to start building her up. I would really like to do a 6-speed transmission conversion, but I have no idea where to begin looking for the parts. Any leads would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time in advance
Old 11-03-2011, 02:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by pmohr
You can easily do that with off-site image hosting (photobucket, etc). Or you could just add attachments to your post. See the attachment below.

Working fine here Possible that you have to be a supporting member for that feature.

It's possible that it's just in lock mode. Try this:
I tried but not working
the sad thing is that here in saudi the Eid holiday started and it will be up to 12 of this month, therefore the nissan service center is closed till 12,
what i have to due, i am fed up with this problem
i was planning to go to hill station Abha with family in this vacation
Old 11-03-2011, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by SethRotto
I've been looking through but haven't found a definitive answer to this. I've got an automatic 2000 Maxima GXE with 135k on it, all stock, but I'm looking to start building her up. I would really like to do a 6-speed transmission conversion, but I have no idea where to begin looking for the parts. Any leads would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time in advance
There have been many threads about this over the last 12 years. There will usually be the same concensus in all of them, and that is it's not worth it. It would be cheaper to sell your Max and find a Max with a 6 speed.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

There have been many threads about this over the last 12 years. There will usually be the same concensus in all of them, and that is it's not worth it. It would be cheaper to sell your Max and find a Max with a 6 speed.
I'm aware of that, but I love my girl, she's been good to me thus far, and I just wouldn't feel right giving her up for another one
Old 11-03-2011, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by SethRotto
I'm aware of that, but I love my girl, she's been good to me thus far, and I just wouldn't feel right giving her up for another one
Honestly, there is nothing to gain out of it besides spending thousands getting the swap done. If you do a search of the site of "6 speed conversion," you will get tons of hits.

Good luck man.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:57 PM

I got a 2000 Maxima and I cant open the door with a key. Where can I get a barrel for it ? I dont mind having a separate door key to ignition.
If somebody had a product code or a link that would be great. I am drawing blanks.

Last edited by originalhandy; 11-03-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by originalhandy
I got a 2000 Maxima and I cant open the door with a key. Where can I get a barrel for it ? I dont mind having a separate door key to ignition.
If somebody had a product code or a link that would be great. I am drawing blanks.
What is wrong with the original? Does the key turn the lock? If not, contact your dealer and have them make a key for you. Or talk to a local locksmith and they may be able to make a key for you.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I tried but not working
the sad thing is that here in saudi the Eid holiday started and it will be up to 12 of this month, therefore the nissan service center is closed till 12,
what i have to due, i am fed up with this problem
i was planning to go to hill station Abha with family in this vacation
Yesterday i got the technician form Toyota and he solved the problem.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread