5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011 | 06:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bose or not Bose, that is the question

Hey guys, new to the .org, have a question that I cannot seem to find an answer to. I have an 02 Max, SE, 3.5, manufactured in AUG 2001. The stereo does not say bose anywhere on it, it has 4 door speakers plus 2 A-pillar tweeter, no subwoofer. Is it bose? I have not the slightest clue. When I type anything in Google, I get the same thing "bose stereo removal". Was there another type of stereo system available for the 5th? Any input is greatly appreciated!
Old 09-17-2011 | 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by seanmearse
Hey guys, new to the .org, have a question that I cannot seem to find an answer to. I have an 02 Max, SE, 3.5, manufactured in AUG 2001. The stereo does not say bose anywhere on it, it has 4 door speakers plus 2 A-pillar tweeter, no subwoofer. Is it bose? I have not the slightest clue. When I type anything in Google, I get the same thing "bose stereo removal". Was there another type of stereo system available for the 5th? Any input is greatly appreciated!
If it doesn't say Bose on it, then it's not a Bose unit. Not all Maximas have Bose systems. I'm not sure who makes the (as Nissan calls it) "standard" radio, but it looks very similiar to the Bose. A Bose system will have a sub-woofer, the standard system will not.

As far as removing the head unit, both systems are the same. However, the wire harness in the car is different for the Bose and non-Boses systems.
Old 09-17-2011 | 08:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Howdy again. I swapped a 4th gen 5 speed into my 01. Of course the reverse lights don't turn on. I pulled out the reverse / neutral switch to replace it with the 01 switch, but it appears they're identical. I'm assuming I'll need to change the pin location in the plug. What does it need to be changed to?
Old 09-17-2011 | 08:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by DennisMik
From the sales point of view, 12 - 15K miles a year is considered average.

Well today I was able to find an 01 SE with 104K on the odometer. It probably drives the best out of everything I test drove except for the 02 GLE I drove yesterday that was advertised with 85K but the odometer said 264K. I did a Autocheck report on it and its a one owner vehicle with no "reported" accidents. I can tell that the driver door is off somewhat cause you have to slam it. Outside of that he has an 03 Infiniti I35 he is going to show me so we will see. Any major differences with the 01 and 02 with the exception of the engine?
Old 09-17-2011 | 10:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

If it doesn't say Bose on it, then it's not a Bose unit. Not all Maximas have Bose systems. I'm not sure who makes the (as Nissan calls it) "standard" radio, but it looks very similiar to the Bose. A Bose system will have a sub-woofer, the standard system will not.

As far as removing the head unit, both systems are the same. However, the wire harness in the car is different for the Bose and non-Boses systems.
So, to swap to my Navi, I shouldn't need the deal to tone down the new stereo for the door amps?
Old 09-17-2011 | 10:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Also have one more question. The whole recall about the abnormal steering. I have a clunk if i max out the steering that i can't quite track down. The steering is nice and tight, handles great, no noticeable looseness or pulling to one side. Not sure if this is whats going on or not. Anyone who has an idea or a thought on this, let me know, thanks a million!
Old 09-18-2011 | 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by dhawthorne15
..I did a Autocheck report on it and its a one owner vehicle with no "reported" accidents. I can tell that the driver door is off somewhat cause you have to slam it....
It's very common for the driver door, and sometimes front passenger, to sag out of alignment. Some stainless washers between the door hinge plate and body pillar spaced it out a little and fixed the sag for mine. Don't know if that's the problem with yours.
Old 09-18-2011 | 05:54 AM

Also have one more question. The whole recall about the abnormal steering. I have a clunk if i max out the steering that i can't quite track down. The steering is nice and tight, handles great, no noticeable looseness or pulling to one side. Not sure if this is whats going on or not. Anyone who has an idea or a thought on this, let me know, thanks a million!
Do a search for the steering recall notice... it tells you the model/year and affected serial numbers (VIN's). If we're talking about the same recall the part replaced they call a transverse link... but looks to me to be what I'd call the lower control arm.

If you need the safety recall then you should just get it done IMO. Would be very relieving if it also fixed your clunk, but even if it doesn't at least you've peace of mind knowing it's fixed.

Last edited by buddywh1; 09-18-2011 at 05:59 AM.
Old 09-18-2011 | 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by dhawthorne15
Well today I was able to find an 01 SE with 104K on the odometer. It probably drives the best out of everything I test drove except for the 02 GLE I drove yesterday that was advertised with 85K but the odometer said 264K. I did a Autocheck report on it and its a one owner vehicle with no "reported" accidents. I can tell that the driver door is off somewhat cause you have to slam it. Outside of that he has an 03 Infiniti I35 he is going to show me so we will see. Any major differences with the 01 and 02 with the exception of the engine?
A one owner car doesn't mean anything, especially if he neglected taking care of the car. The difference in the mileage on the 02 GLE could be that the car has the 264K but the engine was replaced and the engine has only 85K.

An accident doesn't always show up on an AutoCheck or Carfax because sometimes it is left to the body shop to report it to the state motor vehicle department and they may not have.

The door sag is due to wear and tear. The car has 264K on it and they evidently were short trips, which mean more openings and closings, which also makes sense that the engine got replaced.

The 00 & 01 maximas are pretty identical and they both have the same engine, a 3.0 liter. 02 & 03 have a 3.5 liter engine and a bunch of differences in the interior features and some differences in the body construction even though they look the same.

Last edited by DennisMik; 09-18-2011 at 04:05 PM. Reason: 3rd para - correct year designations of the engines
Old 09-18-2011 | 12:11 PM
No more Maximas...

The 01 & 02 maximas are pretty identical and they both have the same engine, a 3.0 liter. 02 & 03 have a 3.5 liter engine and a bunch of differences in the interior features and some differences in the body construction even though they look the same.
You directly contradicted yourself there, starting off incorrectly and ending with the correct information. '00-'01 have the DE-K, '02-'03 with the VQ35.

As said, the door hinges are a common problem, lead to the door sagging when open and hard to close, or hitting the door striker if not held up to close.
Old 09-18-2011 | 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
You directly contradicted yourself there, starting off incorrectly and ending with the correct information. '00-'01 have the DE-K, '02-'03 with the VQ35.
that was a sloppy mistake. I know that but for some reason I typed it wrong and then didn't re-read it before i posted it. I'm going to go back and edit the post.
Old 09-18-2011 | 04:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Aaron84
Howdy again. I swapped a 4th gen 5 speed into my 01. Of course the reverse lights don't turn on. I pulled out the reverse / neutral switch to replace it with the 01 switch, but it appears they're identical. I'm assuming I'll need to change the pin location in the plug. What does it need to be changed to?
Once again. Any takers?
Old 09-18-2011 | 05:09 PM

Once again. Any takers?
Maybe try the All Motors forum where they share experiences and what-not after such ambitious projects as that.

Here, we're generally content with finding out why our SES light's keep blinking and what it takes to turn them off.
Old 09-18-2011 | 05:51 PM

I guys, i'm newbie here and need some help from you guys. I just bought an 03 SE 6sp with a blown motor, so i will have to replace the motor. My question is what other year engine will direct fit into my 03 3.5 ? And is the auto and standard engine the same ? Any help is appreciated.
Old 09-18-2011 | 06:22 PM

should i buy

So i went to look at a 2001 maxima se with 128xxx mi two days ago and got the car inspected before making an offer. The car has a stillen cold air intake and a greddy exhaust, new 2004 brakes in the front, no leaks and it is very clean. After the inspection, the mechanic told me the car runs very good but it would need new tires before the winter, something about the clutch master cylinder, needed new rear brake rotors, needed new serpentine belt, also he checked the computer and it gave him a air bag code #20, the abs light was on (abs does not work) and it had two unset monitors (not sure what that means). His lowest offer was 3700 and i declined because I wasnt sure if i wanted the car. What do you guys think about the price and the abs light problem? Should I purchase the car?
Old 09-18-2011 | 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by iwannamaximase
So i went to look at a 2001 maxima se with 128xxx mi two days ago and got the car inspected before making an offer. The car has a stillen cold air intake and a greddy exhaust, new 2004 brakes in the front, no leaks and it is very clean. After the inspection, the mechanic told me the car runs very good but it would need new tires before the winter, something about the clutch master cylinder, needed new rear brake rotors, needed new serpentine belt, also he checked the computer and it gave him a air bag code #20, the abs light was on (abs does not work) and it had two unset monitors (not sure what that means). His lowest offer was 3700 and i declined because I wasnt sure if i wanted the car. What do you guys think about the price and the abs light problem? Should I purchase the car?
This should go into the "thinking of buying ..." thread.

IMO, without a quote to fix the ABS and air bag issues, it's not worth it, walk away. The fix could be simple, like the parking brake indicator being stuck on, but there is no way to know unless it gets looked at to the point of being a binding quote.

Rear brakes for the Maximas are cheap - I did mine myself for $120 for calipers and pads, the rotors would have added $60.

Oh, and about the mechanic, I am not so sure - there is no serpentine belt on an '01 - there is the AC and alternator belt, and the power steering belt. And the other mumbo-jumbo of "unset monitors" ... dunno.
Old 09-18-2011 | 06:34 PM

Once again. Any takers?
They look identical. Did you try the original one? Maybe the old one is shot?

I recall there being a way to test them with a multimeter being in the FSM. Should be easy.
Old 09-18-2011 | 06:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by buddywh1
Maybe try the All Motors forum where they share experiences and what-not after such ambitious projects as that.

Here, we're generally content with finding out why our SES light's keep blinking and what it takes to turn them off.
I don't have enough posts to ask anywhere else.
Old 09-18-2011 | 06:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by homeyclaus
They look identical. Did you try the original one? Maybe the old one is shot?

I recall there being a way to test them with a multimeter being in the FSM. Should be easy.
I tried both. I assume the Maxima engine harness is different between Gen 4 and Gen 5 cars. I need this answered as soon as possible. I need to get it put back together tonight. I have a 5 hour drive tomorrow. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2011 | 07:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I went ahead and made the purchase today and took $1,500 off the deal. He tried to make it seem like he was losing money but I'm pretty sure he bought the car from auction for about $3k and sold to me for $4300. Between the door sag, the right rear window motor moving a little slow and the trunk floor......its a pretty good ride. Oh, and needs window tinting like yesterday....

Last edited by dhawthorne15; 09-18-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-18-2011 | 07:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Looking online I see that I the reverse sensor is the exact same for 1995-2001 for the manual cars. So maybe I'm completely off base here.
Old 09-18-2011 | 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by homeyclaus
This should go into the "thinking of buying ..." thread.

IMO, without a quote to fix the ABS and air bag issues, it's not worth it, walk away. The fix could be simple, like the parking brake indicator being stuck on, but there is no way to know unless it gets looked at to the point of being a binding quote.

Rear brakes for the Maximas are cheap - I did mine myself for $120 for calipers and pads, the rotors would have added $60.

Oh, and about the mechanic, I am not so sure - there is no serpentine belt on an '01 - there is the AC and alternator belt, and the power steering belt. And the other mumbo-jumbo of "unset monitors" ... dunno.

thanks a lot. I posted in the thinking of buying thread but no one has responded
Old 09-19-2011 | 03:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by buddywh1
Do a search for the steering recall notice... it tells you the model/year and affected serial numbers (VIN's). If we're talking about the same recall the part replaced they call a transverse link... but looks to me to be what I'd call the lower control arm.

If you need the safety recall then you should just get it done IMO. Would be very relieving if it also fixed your clunk, but even if it doesn't at least you've peace of mind knowing it's fixed.

Sounds like a plan, also, any idea on swapping in my navigation? should just need a harness, right? and of course the dash trim.
Old 09-19-2011 | 05:40 AM
Suspension Yoda

Sounds like a plan, also, any idea on swapping in my navigation? should just need a harness, right? and of course the dash trim.
Before you do anything...

What navigation do you currently have, and what navigation are you trying to go with?

If you have OEM nav, you CANNOT easily change it to aftermarket.

Since you're unsure what type of stereo you have, it would be very beneficial if you posted a picture of it.
Old 09-19-2011 | 09:22 AM

Looking online I see that I the reverse sensor is the exact same for 1995-2001 for the manual cars. So maybe I'm completely off base here.
FSM, Multimeter, test.

Maybe a connector or cable got mashed during the swap. Checking the fuses would also be in order in that case.
Old 09-19-2011 | 10:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
Before you do anything...

What navigation do you currently have, and what navigation are you trying to go with?

If you have OEM nav, you CANNOT easily change it to aftermarket.

Since you're unsure what type of stereo you have, it would be very beneficial if you posted a picture of it.

Well, we have so far determined its not bose, its a factory crap stereo. No navi in there right now, just a single disc factory player.
Old 09-19-2011 | 12:06 PM
Suspension Yoda

Then go head and upgrade away
Old 09-19-2011 | 12:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi All,

I've two separate issues on my 2000 Nissan Maxima GLE

1) Lately, I've noticed that after rain, passenger side carpet is getting wet. Any clue what I should be looking for to fix this. I can say for certainty that it happens only during/after rain.

2) I have an SES with OBD code of P1320. Any ideas what could be going wrong here for this code to pop up ?

Thanks in advance,
KTR
Old 09-19-2011 | 12:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
Then go head and upgrade away
Sweet! thanks a million.
Old 09-19-2011 | 12:46 PM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by ktr944
1) Lately, I've noticed that after rain, passenger side carpet is getting wet. Any clue what I should be looking for to fix this. I can say for certainty that it happens only during/after rain.
Assuming since you have a GLE you have a sunroof. One of your drain lines (probably on the passenger side) is likely clogged.
Old 09-19-2011 | 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by ktr944
Hi All,

I have an SES with OBD code of P1320. Any ideas what could be going wrong here for this code to pop up ?

KTR
The P1320 code says that the ecu did not receive any feedback after sending the signal to fire an ignition coil. Many times this turns out to be a problem with ignition coils going bad. Unfortunately this code does not tell you which coil(s) are having a problem. A lot of times people will get a 2nd code along with the P1320, P030x, where x is the cylinder number.

Its also possible for the crankshaft sensor by the crankshaft pulley to cause the P1320 code also. Loose connectons and bad wiring is also a possibility.
Old 09-20-2011 | 02:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I put Vogtland springs (purple) from ebay on my 2000 maxima last weekend, I used the tokico blue struts, now the car bottoms out on the freeway expansion joints, as advertised only 1.4 inch drop front and 1.0 rear. It looks more like 2.5 all the way around. ride is ok until you hit small bumps. I will be removing the springs and putting the stock ones back for now, what springs did others here use? Maybe the illuminas would have helped this.
One thing I did note was the front springs were not variable rate but the rears were, seems stupid.
Old 09-20-2011 | 02:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello

Im not new to forums but i've been lurking maxima forums since january and i finally 5.5gen SE to myself now .

i've had it for two weeks now and i found a lil problem so far, the front power outlet doesn't work and the rear outlet works fine. i searched this forum already but wasn't sure if it helped. The 15amp fuse was blown and i replaced it with a 15amp fuse and still it hasn't worked. Anything else i can look for?
Old 09-20-2011 | 03:57 PM

I have a 2002 Max SE and I was wondering if 19x9.5's all around with a +35 offset and 255/35/19 tires would rub anywhere. It seems to me they would but any input would be greatly appreciated
Old 09-20-2011 | 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by kidwebs
Im not new to forums but i've been lurking maxima forums since january and i finally 5.5gen SE to myself now .

i've had it for two weeks now and i found a lil problem so far, the front power outlet doesn't work and the rear outlet works fine. i searched this forum already but wasn't sure if it helped. The 15amp fuse was blown and i replaced it with a 15amp fuse and still it hasn't worked. Anything else i can look for?
You can try checking at the power outlet with a multimeter and see if it has any power going to it, if it does check for bad ground.
Old 09-20-2011 | 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by piggylover1985
I guys, i'm newbie here and need some help from you guys. I just bought an 03 SE 6sp with a blown motor, so i will have to replace the motor. My question is what other year engine will direct fit into my 03 3.5 ? And is the auto and standard engine the same ? Any help is appreciated.
Only year 02-03 3.5 will interchange.
Old 09-20-2011 | 04:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey im new here and i just got a 2000 maxi and i will like to know if i can change the front bumber into a 03 front bumber is it pssible ?
Old 09-20-2011 | 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by kidwebs

Each of the sockets has its own fuse, # 22 for the cigarette lighter and # 16 for the power outlet. Also, both sockets have internal protection, so the socket itself could be bad.

If both fuses are good, then check the socket with a voltmeter as piggylover suggested. If there is no voltage, then the socket is probably bad, but I would suggest that you measure voltage on the wire connection on the back end of the socket just to be sure you don't have a wiring problem.
Old 09-21-2011 | 04:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by piggylover1985
You can try checking at the power outlet with a multimeter and see if it has any power going to it, if it does check for bad ground.
Each of the sockets has its own fuse, # 22 for the cigarette lighter and # 16 for the power outlet. Also, both sockets have internal protection, so the socket itself could be bad.

If both fuses are good, then check the socket with a voltmeter as piggylover suggested. If there is no voltage, then the socket is probably bad, but I would suggest that you measure voltage on the wire connection on the back end of the socket just to be sure you don't have a wiring problem.
Thanks i have a mutimeter, should i use it to check for 12v? i mean what should i set it too. (Sorry still noob with my multi-meter)
If this doesn't work still i'll just and find another socket.
Old 09-21-2011 | 05:13 AM
Suspension Yoda

Yes, 12v

Quick Reply: 5th Gen "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread