5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

AE "stock" RSB - where?how? Disfunctional

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2001, 08:25 PM
maxleaner

Ok, all the sales literature state there's front and rear stabilizer bars. I found the front one - but where's the rear?

I saw some people have said "inside the beam". Yes, there's a fairly large diameter bar inside the beam - but the way it's connected (or rather not connected) to the trailing arms tells me it is really not doing squat - or am I missing parts that complete the "U" of what I would normally expect to see? These things are supposed to be in torsion when going around corners. I don't see how a bar inside the beam only connected at the trailing ends of the trailing arms is going to be in torsion.

My car handles with less confidence than my wife's '97 Olds minivan with 70 series 70,000 mile tires... I'm beginning to wonder if something's wrong. The back end bobbles around uneven corners like a 1980 Buick Lesabre. That, and weird suspension rattles, too. I used to think it was the jack until I was driving with the windows down one day and could hear the rattle echoing off of guard rails.

Any ideas on what loose or missing suspension components to look for? I hate the lazy *** dealer service centers - they'll likely give it a quick 30 second glance, charge Nissan NA for an hour of warranty work, and tell me it's "normal".

Old 07-01-2001, 09:21 PM
Sly

The stock RSB is in fact integrated into the rear suspension. The bar you see inside the beam is solidly welded to the trailing arms. When the car body leans in a turn it forces one of the trailing arms down and the other up. While the rear beam can twist to accomodate this motion, the bar inside the beam acts as a torsional spring to counteract the twisting.

When you add an aftermarket RSB such as stillen or addco, what you are doing is adding another torsional spring, making it harder to "lean" the car over.

As for it not handling well on bumpy corners, that's just inherent of the rear beam suspension. Stiffer low profile tires actually make the situation worse by not absorbing the bumps. I know this for a fact as I just went from stock 15" tires to 235/45-17 wheels/tires. It does handle well on smooth corners but not on rough surfaces.