5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Coil pack problem? Looking for verification.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 08:14 AM

Coil pack problem? Looking for verification.

I've searched and read a few of the threads in here about the infamous coil pack problems on our cars. I haven't seen any (or I might have missed) anybody reporting some of the symptoms I've been seeing.

It started a few months ago. I started the car and didn't notice a problem until I put it into gear, then I felt a definite miss. When I started moving, I could feel a more defined miss. I shut the car off, restarted it and no problem. It went away. (<-- This is what I haven't found in my search on here).

This problem is getting more and more common with mine. It's almost every other start and sometimes requires me to keep starting and shutting off the car, several times before it goes away. It seems like it does it moreso after it's been run... like if I make a trip to the store, come back, let it sit for an hour or 2 or more and then try to start it again. If it sits overnight, it doesn't seem like it does it, but it has.

I have 82k-ish on it now. I just replaced the plugs with iridium NGKs the other day and noticed no difference, so I started pricing coil packs. I had pulled a #2 cyl misfire in the past. I had a code pulled yesterday but don't remember what it was... it may have been the cover-all misfire code.

I checked Advance Auto Parts and they claim not to carry them, but their website says they do for about $70-$80. I went to Federated Auto Parts and they quoted me $90 ea..., caught me off guard.

Anyway, I got to thinking and was wondering if it's possible that I could be having problems getting fuel? I religiously run premium in it and Lucas fuel system cleaner in it every oil change. Even as I'm typing this, I'm still leaning toward coils, but seem to be having a problem getting them (cheaply) in my area.

I'm mostly looking for validation that the symptoms I'm having sound coil related to everybody before I drop $$ on new ones.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:25 AM
Pointy Elbows

You want Nissan OEM coils IMO. I don't know of anyone who is NOT running OEM coils. Try calling DaveB or maybe check eBay. That's where I got my grey-dot coils a while back.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:42 AM

Thanks for the info. I the memberlist is disabled, so I had to do a search for DAVEB's contact info.

Nice SE by the way. If our Maxima was mine instead of my wife's, It would be looking similar to yours.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:48 AM

Whoops! Double posted (stupid slow dialup).
Old 12-29-2006, 05:56 AM

You want Nissan OEM coils IMO. I don't know of anyone who is NOT running OEM coils.
I have 2 non OEM coils that I got from autozone or advanced I forget which one has them,.. and they are grey dots,.. and been in over 6 months and still run fine

To the 00GLE- That sounds about right for a coil,.. I would get the code run again to see exactly which cylinder is misfireing and replace that coil,... like I said I got mine from one of those stores and i think it was 69.95$ ,.. also is there any powerloss around 2500K or does it seem to be shifting funny in any way IE- overreving before it shifts,.. if so you might want to look into a new MAF for around 100 bucks,.. also depending on your financial situation you might want to replace all 6 coils with grey dot coils because they will start to go one by one,.. g/l
Old 12-29-2006, 08:54 AM
Pointy Elbows

Originally Posted by 00GLE
Thanks for the info. I the memberlist is disabled, so I had to do a search for DAVEB's contact info.

Nice SE by the way. If our Maxima was mine instead of my wife's, It would be looking similar to yours.
Thanks for the props. If your coils are the originals, then I'm guessing they are not the grey dot ones. Replace them all now and save yourself a headache later on down the road.

My original coils were replaced under warranty and they lasted about 3 years (non-grey dot). Then I just replaced them last spring with the grey dot ones.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:39 AM
Chicken Feet Croo!

It started a few months ago. I started the car and didn't notice a problem until I put it into gear, then I felt a definite miss. When I started moving, I could feel a more defined miss. I shut the car off, restarted it and no problem. It went away. (<-- This is what I haven't found in my search on here).

This problem is getting more and more common with mine. It's almost every other start and sometimes requires me to keep starting and shutting off the car, several times before it goes away. It seems like it does it moreso after it's been run... like if I make a trip to the store, come back, let it sit for an hour or 2 or more and then try to start it again. If it sits overnight, it doesn't seem like it does it, but it has.
This is exactly how mine reacts. Thats why i've been lazy and haven't changed out the coils. Mine misfires about once a month and the SES light will go away after a few days. Sure enough, it'll misfire again. When it misfires, I simply shut the car off and turn it back on and 50/50 chance it wont misfire. If it keeps on misfiring, I just drive the car anyways and when it warms up, the misfire stops.

I'll be replacing the coils soon. check this thread out when you're about to replace them. I dont' think i'm going all 6 (no money), just replacing the misfiring one.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=451830
Old 12-29-2006, 10:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i would try and get the codes pulled again. i have a reader if u come to nj let me know! i just replaced my #5 coil it was misfiring now the car runs perfect. i got it for like 65 bucks on ebay. it took about a wk to get here...
Old 12-29-2006, 01:30 PM

Thanks for the info guys! I called DAVEB in Texas and he confirmed it for me. Mine are also the originals (no gray dot). I went ahead and ordered all six. Total with ground shipping to VA was $394.17. Not bad considering if I went down the road to Federated Auto Parts and paid $107 ea, it would be over $600! I still really couldn't afford them all in one shot since I have a 15 month old eating all my income, but that's what credit cards are for, right? Otherwise, it'd be replacing them one by one as I had the money, but I'd rather just do them all in one shot.

Thanks again guys!

Oh, and I've found a lot of good comments about DAVEB. I want to add my props too. Very courteous and knowledgeable guy! I'm definitely keeping his number for the future... in the case I do need a MAF (I'm not seeing the symptoms you've mentioned... yet).
Old 12-29-2006, 04:27 PM
Pointy Elbows

Oh, and I've found a lot of good comments about DAVEB. I want to add my props too. Very courteous and knowledgeable guy! I'm definitely keeping his number for the future... in the case I do need a MAF (I'm not seeing the symptoms you've mentioned... yet).

Nice! Dave pulls through once again.