5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

My Max isnt running like it used to.... need some advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 12:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Check your oil level. It should be no higher than halfway on the hash marks.

Overfilling the oil will cause intermittent power loss the way you described. (It did for me.)

I do my own oil changes and I always underfill (4 qts vs the recommended 4-1/4). I have never had any power issues since I started underfilling.

And make sure you wait at least an hour after filling to check the level. Which is why you should do your own oil change if you can. You cannot get an accurate reading right after changing.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:40 PM

I finally got the plugs changed yesterday. I went with NGK Iridiums at 7 a pop, slightly cheaper then the laser platinums at 10 a pop which wernt in stock. Since I dont have the tools to do the job, I got a guy to do it for me for 50 bucks which was more then fair compared to shop prices. The cars running better, smooth idle and acceleration, but still lacking that power top and bottom that it once had. Im thinking its gotta be the MAF now unless theres anything else such as a fuel filter or something that can cause problems.

Later
John
Old 02-26-2007, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by JimmyH
Check your oil level. It should be no higher than halfway on the hash marks.

Overfilling the oil will cause intermittent power loss the way you described. (It did for me.)

I do my own oil changes and I always underfill (4 qts vs the recommended 4-1/4). I have never had any power issues since I started underfilling.

And make sure you wait at least an hour after filling to check the level. Which is why you should do your own oil change if you can. You cannot get an accurate reading right after changing.
Unfortunetly I dont have the means to take care of my oil changes myself, but have a good place I take it to. Ill have to watch the level more closely to see if there is indeed anything related to this issue youve had. Thanks for the advice.

Later
John
Old 02-27-2007, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by BigJohn82
I finally got the plugs changed yesterday. I went with NGK Iridiums at 7 a pop, slightly cheaper then the laser platinums at 10 a pop which wernt in stock. Since I dont have the tools to do the job, I got a guy to do it for me for 50 bucks which was more then fair compared to shop prices. The cars running better, smooth idle and acceleration, but still lacking that power top and bottom that it once had. Im thinking its gotta be the MAF now unless theres anything else such as a fuel filter or something that can cause problems.

Later
John
It's worth a shot if you want to spend the money. I had the same issue a couple years ago. I took it to my Nissan dealer (who I have a good raport with) They changed the MAF and charged me, and advanced my timing for free. The bad part of that is now I have to use premium. Of course I was mostly using premium before that anyway.

Ever since the timing, new maf, making sure of the oil level, my Max is running like an athlete; she is almost 7 years old now and over 160000 miles strong! I would put her up against any of today's V6 sport sedans.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by JimmyH
It's worth a shot if you want to spend the money. I had the same issue a couple years ago. I took it to my Nissan dealer (who I have a good raport with) They changed the MAF and charged me, and advanced my timing for free. The bad part of that is now I have to use premium. Of course I was mostly using premium before that anyway.

Ever since the timing, new maf, making sure of the oil level, my Max is running like an athlete; she is almost 7 years old now and over 160000 miles strong! I would put her up against any of today's V6 sport sedans.
Honestly, id hate to spend the money to get a new MAF if its not the issue, but im not sure what else it could be since the VIAS is said to be only about 5k rpms. My car used to pull hard once it hit 4k and even harder at 5k, now it doesnt on either. I know the MAF from Dave B will run me about 95 shipped and im sure I can put it in myself, but theres no way I can have the dealer reprogram the ecu and adjust the timing afterwards as I just dont have 200 to play with... atleast not for a few months to come as we have some major repairs on my wifes Civic (AC and Tires). Ive thought about the timing too as the car was at sea level in CA and is a CA car and now im like 5k over sea level. Ive heard adjusting the timing will make up for this change in elevation.

Later
John
Old 02-27-2007, 08:25 AM
Hi, I drive a Maxima.

holy crap, although i have a 5.5 gen max i have noticed some of the same symptoms on my max and i'm probably gonna change my plugs and even look into a new maf b/c of this thread.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by BigJohn82
Ive heard adjusting the timing will make up for this change in elevation.

Later
John
I really really doubt that. The only thing that makes up for high elevations is forced induction. Which is why they sell so many turbo 4's in the moutain areas.

I took a trip to Knoxville TN once. I live in Chicago. When we got in the mountains, it was like someone turned off half my cylinders. On some of the steep grades, I was flooring it in 3rd and 4th just to slowly pass other cars.

Back on topic, your issue can be resolved. But unless you have the tools and the know-how, unfortuneatly, you are going to have to pay the dealer.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:42 AM

john- change the maf, you wont be disapointed,.. also,.. while your at it be sure to put a new clean air filter in there so your not sucking dirty air into your new MAF
Old 02-27-2007, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by mist max2000
john- change the maf, you wont be disapointed,.. also,.. while your at it be sure to put a new clean air filter in there so your not sucking dirty air into your new MAF
True, put a new air filter in too, that is a cheap fix. I change mine every 10k miles or so.

But dirty air filters dont allow dirty air in, they allow less air in the more clogged they get. Which can potentially cause power and mileage loss.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:47 AM

Great posts guys. I'm a Max newbie and this really helps.
John
Old 03-01-2007, 07:51 AM

MAF fo sho