5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Phenolic Spacer Development for VQ35s

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 07:23 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Epacy
I noticed in a previous post you said you cleaned the TB. Please tell me you didn't manually move the valve.
It sounds like you did. And if you did you are f'ed.
I did that and had issues with it for a long time. Please tell me you didn't move the TB valve.
i did move it.
i was under the impression that it wouldnt be an issue if it was uplugged. i thought that when i plugged it back it and it got power...it wouldnt know that i had moved it.

so now what do i do? it isnt bad enough to bug me...but will it f up other stuff?
Old 04-26-2007, 07:27 PM
Unsuccesful STL Coordinator

Well, I did the re-learn procedure many times and it didn't work. My rpm's would spike and jump and froth around for no reason.
The only thing that cleared it up was when I got my ECU flashed for my new MAF. No kidding.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:29 PM
Cletus

Well, I did the re-learn procedure many times and it didn't work. My rpm's would spike and jump and froth around for no reason.
The only thing that cleared it up was when I got my ECU flashed for my new MAF. No kidding.
found this...http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ight=high+idle

may have to try that. im going to get the code read tomorrow
Old 04-26-2007, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
found this...http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ight=high+idle

may have to try that. im going to get the code read tomorrow
Good find. Seems to jive with my experience.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:34 PM

We need to post in the sitckies or on the front page to NEVER EVER clean the TB under any circumstance.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:44 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by HotshotVQ35
i dont think the LIM spacers will make any difference, they are very thin. either way very nice quality product!

and sooner, you are not that modded, get some headers on that *****! and you will prob see a bigger difference. i believe the test car had I/H/E and VAFC..
Don't let the thin spacer fool you! I was VERY surprised that the LIM temps decreased by over 30 degrees!!! I figured I'd only see a 15-20 degree temp drop since the LIM were so thin. But the LIM itself was 30 degrees lower on average! The LIM spacer REALLY helps a LOT!

With the entire kit installed, the UIM shows temp decreases of over 40 degrees on average.

The test vehicle (Blackmaxx96) only has intake and catback. That's it. He did not have headers or VAFC. He didn't even have a Ypipe.

i did move it.
i was under the impression that it wouldnt be an issue if it was uplugged. i thought that when i plugged it back it and it got power...it wouldnt know that i had moved it.

so now what do i do? it isnt bad enough to bug me...but will it f up other stuff?
If this is such an important issue, I can add this to my instructions not to clean or touch the TB.

If anybody else has any problems such as this, please post them here.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:48 PM

as far as TB cleaning is concerned (sorry to go OT) isnt it ok to use a spray and maybe a q-tip as long as you dont move the butterfly valve?
Old 04-26-2007, 07:57 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by Theyears02
as far as TB cleaning is concerned (sorry to go OT) isnt it ok to use a spray and maybe a q-tip as long as you dont move the butterfly valve?
I can't comment on this. I have never tested this on the VQ35. But, the discusson I've read on the org has shown that cleaning the TB is generally a bad thing. I don't know exactly what causes the problems.

But I would recommend NOT to clean the TB at ALL.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:36 PM

Would you expect higher numbers with headers back?
Old 04-26-2007, 09:20 PM
I R The Law

Got these done about 2 hours ago. Had some trouble with a bolt or 2. Everything is running fine, did both the accelerator pedal and throttle valve learing procedure.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by The Law
Got these done about 2 hours ago. Had some trouble with a bolt or 2. Everything is running fine, did both the accelerator pedal and throttle valve learing procedure.

Let us know your thoughts on them.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:10 PM
I R The Law

Originally Posted by machinehead131
Let us know your thoughts on them.
I'll post up my review tomorrow after I get a chance to let everything settle over night.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:28 AM

im guessing you should be able to pick up more hp from safc/vafc tuning after the spacers are installed. headers should definitely pick the numbers as well. hopefully when i get the spacers on ill be able to install a safc and get dyno tuned and post numbers.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:12 AM
Cletus

well after doing some research, it looks like the idle problem isnt actually caused by moving the valve...its caused by the TB actually being clean (which throws off the stored parameters in the ECU)

i would recommend that people leave it alone.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:44 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by dizmax96
im guessing you should be able to pick up more hp from safc/vafc tuning after the spacers are installed. headers should definitely pick the numbers as well. hopefully when i get the spacers on ill be able to install a safc and get dyno tuned and post numbers.
The spacers do not effect AFR at all. No tuning is needed.

If you had a 100% stock Maxima, then yes, tuning fuel will help performance since it comes a little rich from the factory. So, tuning will always help the Maxima.

But your AFR is not changed by installing these spacers. I didn't know if that is what you were saying. But if not, I just wanted to make that clear to other readers.

Originally Posted by machinehead131
Would you expect higher numbers with headers back?
You mean, if the test vehicle had headers and Ypipe, would I expect the spacers to help more than what they did on a near stock exhaust? No I don't. Regardless of your modifications, the spacers are proven to help on the Maxima with the stock intake manifold. The only thing that could noticably change the power gains is if you had a new intake manifold design. I have not dyno tested these spacers on the Kinetix IM. I know there's a gain, I just don't know how much with a custom IM.

But all you're doing is decreasing IM temps, which helps in ANY application regardless if you have a full exhaust, open headers, CAI, turbocharger, etc. The spacers also increase the runner length, which definitely helps with the stock IM design. And they also smooth out airflow since you are removing the stock gaskets, which are NOT port matched. So, with these spacers, you get a smoother transistion from surface to surface, which will help with ANY application.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:47 AM

well after doing some research, it looks like the idle problem isnt actually caused by moving the valve...its caused by the TB actually being clean (which throws off the stored parameters in the ECU)

i would recommend that people leave it alone.
Not 100% on that. Because I only cleaned my TB from the front, by moving the valve up so I could clean some in there. Which means I didn't get very deep past the valve. I cleaned the TB while it was still attached to everything.
So I barely cleaned it and doubt it really affected the monitoring. The damage is done when manually moving the valve. Don't EVA touch it.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:54 AM
Cletus

Not 100% on that. Because I only cleaned my TB from the front, by moving the valve up so I could clean some in there. Which means I didn't get very deep past the valve. I cleaned the TB while it was still attached to everything.
So I barely cleaned it and doubt it really affected the monitoring. The damage is done when manually moving the valve. Don't EVA touch it.

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/200...-expected.html
Old 04-27-2007, 07:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
The spacers do not effect AFR at all. No tuning is needed.
Agreed. Any effect, if at all, would be insignificant at best, IMO. But the only is to know for sure is to see a dyno or datalog from a wideband with these on.

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
But all you're doing is decreasing IM temps, which helps in ANY application regardless if you have a full exhaust, open headers, CAI, turbocharger, etc. The spacers also increase the runner length, which definitely helps with the stock IM design. And they also smooth out airflow since you are removing the stock gaskets, which are NOT port matched. So, with these spacers, you get a smoother transistion from surface to surface, which will help with ANY application.
Agreed. I think many are missing the point that these are primarily phenolic spacers that deal with temperature, not plenum spacers dealing with airflow.

Thanks for the clarification, Aaron.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:52 AM
Seoul Man

I disconnected and removed my TB to clean it. I was very careful with it the whole time. I reinstalled it and hooked everything back up.

I had idle issues. High idle, surging rpms, SES, etc. This was several months ago. I tried all the reset/relearn procedures in the stickies. Nothing helped. I had to get my TB replaced. There's a thread on here where I go into detail about it... but I don't feel like digging it up, because it depresses me to think about all the money I blew on replacing my TB just because I tried to clean the damn thing.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:39 AM

afr tuning

i Know that the afr is unchanged. i figured that if the afr is tuned with an safc you would be able to smoothen out the afr and lean out the richening that the ecu does. i was reading somewhere that pretty stock maximas with just intakes made around 10 Hp with an safc and tuning. so i figured that the spacers and safc should make nice numbers
Old 04-27-2007, 08:53 AM

The spacers do not effect AFR. So your not going to get more power than what you already will get.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by spiromax
I disconnected and removed my TB to clean it. I was very careful with it the whole time. I reinstalled it and hooked everything back up.

I had idle issues. High idle, surging rpms, SES, etc. This was several months ago. I tried all the reset/relearn procedures in the stickies. Nothing helped. I had to get my TB replaced. There's a thread on here where I go into detail about it... but I don't feel like digging it up, because it depresses me to think about all the money I blew on replacing my TB just because I tried to clean the damn thing.
ummmm, yeah, I would be to because you didn't have to replace it
Old 04-27-2007, 09:20 AM

so when I do the spacers this weekend, absolutely do not clean the TB??????
Old 04-27-2007, 09:32 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by opanick
That's correct! Do not even wipe the inside of the TB! Be very careful with handling the TB when it's off the motor. I will make sure this is specified in my instructions.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:48 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by opanick
it will be dirty as hell...resist the common sense urge to clean it
Old 04-27-2007, 10:25 AM
I R The Law

My review:

Before I installed the spacers, I had touched the UIM and man did it burn my hand and I had only drove it for like 15 minutes which was leaving school and coming back home.

After I installed it and took it for the drive last night. You really can't feel much of the gains but it feels like I gained a little of my low end back as well as throughout the RMP range. Also the tone of the exhaust as well as the tone of the intake did change a bit in which case I like since my frakencar exhaust was a bit quite but now I can hear it a bit more. Today, I did the same 15 minute driving from school and back home and wow...the spacers dropped the temperture by quiet a bit and I could actually put my hand on the UIM and not get burned by it. The UIM was actually hot to the touch but didn't burn like the first time I tried touching it without the spacers installed. All in all this was well worth the money. Thanks Aaron.

Also I will post up before and after sound clips as well.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:03 AM
NWP Engineering.com

You might find that the manifold surface temps are dependant on how much idling and slow city traffic you do. It's also very dependant on the ambient temp.

The more idling and slow city driving you do, the hotter your IM will get. The more highway cruising, the cooler it will get.

Regardless of what kind of driving you are doing, you will see consistant temp decreases of 40 degrees or more. But it's very hard to get a consistant reading unless you conduct a before and after test like I did and do the same thing before and after in the same exact amount of time. The IM temps vary a LOT from day to day. It mostly depends on the kind of driving you are doing.

Without these spacer, it's very possible to have your IM cool to the touch if you cruise on the highway for 20 minutes on a cool day and instantly pull over a touch the manifold. But if you do any kind of city driving or driving slow around the pits at the track, your IM will get the hottest it ever will regardless of ambient temperature.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:17 PM
Cletus

You really can't feel much of the gains but it feels like I gained a little of my low end back as well as throughout the RMP range. Also the tone of the exhaust as well as the tone of the intake did change a bit
im glad you gave me confirmation since thats exactly what my impressions where. especially the exhaust tone.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:06 PM
I R The Law

Here are the videos. The after video might be a bit louder due to the fact that I got a little closer than I should have.

Before spacers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6X3DK5LoDU

After spacers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9JmSYuoR9I

I'll get a better video of the after from a little farther distant next time.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:19 PM
kthxbye2u

"Verrry niiiice, How much?"

thats great, look whos tryin to be like who now...

5th to 3rd
Old 04-27-2007, 02:32 PM
I R The Law

Originally Posted by xx-Marshall-xx
"Verrry niiiice, How much?"

thats great, look whos tryin to be like who now...

5th to 3rd
Who are you talking to?
Old 04-27-2007, 02:32 PM
I R The Law

I hate that stupid SES light that is on. I need to borrow a friends OBDII scanner and remove that pos!
Old 04-27-2007, 03:04 PM
Cletus

I hate that stupid SES light that is on. I need to borrow a friends OBDII scanner and remove that pos!
you got it too?
the idle system code (0507)?
Old 04-27-2007, 03:07 PM
I R The Law

you got it too?
the idle system code (0507)?
I don't know what code it is, but I don't have an idling problem tho.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:11 PM
Cletus

I don't know what code it is, but I don't have an idling problem tho.
you sure?
i didnt notice mine at first.
i would check the code
Old 04-27-2007, 03:13 PM

When I cleaned my TB, my only alternative was to go to dealer and have them set it up on the CONSULT. I was unable to do it myself after several attempts.

About 45 mins later and a couple $'s I was set.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:17 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by nismopc
When I cleaned my TB, my only alternative was to go to dealer and have them set it up on the CONSULT. I was unable to do it myself after several attempts.

About 45 mins later and a couple $'s I was set.
the learning procedure that you do yourself is for the actual throttle position (stored in the TB).
that isnt the problem in these cases.
my TB knows its where its supposed to be. the problem is that that value doesnt match the value stored in the ECU. thats because the ECU has a value from when it was dirty. now thats its clean, the ECU thinks the idle is wrong so it increases it.
only a CONSULT can fix that problem.
going to get mine done on mon
Old 04-27-2007, 03:18 PM
Cletus

Aaron,
Sorry this thread became about the idle problem. I just wanted to warn people from making the mistake I did and somehow blaming the spacers.
Jason
Old 04-27-2007, 03:28 PM
I R The Law

you sure?
i didnt notice mine at first.
i would check the code
The thing is that I've let the car idle and it idled just fine. Maybe I'm tripping or something.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:47 PM

my TB knows its where its supposed to be. the problem is that that value doesnt match the value stored in the ECU. thats because the ECU has a value from when it was dirty. now thats its clean, the ECU thinks the idle is wrong so it increases it.
Still not sold on the clean TB being the issue more than the valve being moved. Does the TB take it measurment at the valve? If so, that is before it reaches the dirt part of the TB. Additionally, the TB is constantly getting more and more dirty over time.
All that coupled with what I said earlier about mine barely being cleaned at all, still has me leaning towards the movement of the valve.

Quick Reply: Phenolic Spacer Development for VQ35s